Ping G line of irons wedges

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a fair number of people that use the S, including some pretty good players. The number of L users is much less though.

I play the S in the G25s. It is best for square face shots but it works fine most of the time. I think they (UW and SW) are underutilized for the golfers using these types of irons (on average/in general) but everyone has their own preferences.

I'm doing something similar by going with the iron set matching 49* gap and 54* sand wedges.

They have the same shafts and it's an easy progression for full shots.

From there, I have a pick from an arsenal of lob wedges that may make the bag.

Latest has been a custom Glide 3.0 Eye2 58*. (<<< still not used to the looks)

In drier conditions, I may game a 60* instead.

Having the same club at 49 and 54 degrees is a big preference for me as well. The 49 is really like an 11-iron and the 54 sees a lot of shots anywhere from 50-95 yards (1/2 to full swing). Then have q more LW that is more versatile for around the green if needed (the 54 still works fine for basic shots).

I am interested in trying some smaller irons but the lack of a matching SW is something that holds me back.

I used U,S and L in the G400's and posted some photos the day I got them. I was happy with them and if I am honest I needed nothing else. I play the G410 now, down to U, with glides for S and L

The glides have a nice cavity, and are forgiving, and do appear a bit more versatile around the greens.

I have always been baffled about mid to high handicappers using GI irons then Vokeys for their scoring clubs. If you are at that level (me) I doubt bounce, grind, heel relief etc reduces your chance of thinning a ball over the green into a ditch.

When Ping Canada fit me for my G25s they recommended the matching wedges down to the L. I wouldn't hear of it and went with Gorge 50, 54 and 58. Later swapped out the 50 for the G25 U wedge and hit that much more consistently, still able to hit all the partial shots. If I was to do it again I would go all the way down to S in the matching wedges and just get a different wedge for the 58*, which is my main club for all sand and specialty shots.

I have a set of G25 irons all the way down to the SW. I prefer the G25 SW to standard wedges for full shots, the occasional bunker shot, and chipping around the green. I would have no issue playing all the way down to the LW with the G25. I did not think of it when I bought the clubs, but since went with a Cleveland CBX LW to get the extra forgiveness.

Driver: Taylormade M3
4W: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2
3H: Ping G410

4H: Cobra Baffler
5H:  Ping G
6 - SW: Ping G25
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser

I am in that boat of foolishly having the SM7 in SW & LW to go along with my G410 irons but am probably going to swap them out for G410 SW/Glide 3.0 LW or Glide 3.0 SW & LW

Titleist TSi3 9° | Tensei AV Raw White 65S

Titleist TSi3 16.5º | Tensei AV Raw White 75S
Titleist 818H2 21º | Atmos HB TS Blue 8S
Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW | Modus 105S
Callaway MD5 50°W 54°S 58°X | KBS $-Taper 120S

Toulon Las Vegas H7 | Stability Tour
Titleist ProV1x

I might have to give that a look thanks. Finding more and more reasons to not carry a lob wedge though hurts more than it helps for a 10 HC so so ball striker

Titleist ProV1x

I had the SM7s prior to getting the 410 irons. Just went today and picked up CBX2 54 and 58 wedges to replace the SM7s

Titleist ProV1x