Summer golf trips vs Covid 19

We booked with a tour company for a trip in mid June. We had a conversation with them this week talking about Covid19. We paid half of our trip so far and will need to pay the remainder in a month. We all know insurance doesnโ€™t cover this and he mentioned that he paid the hotels and all the golf courses( we have 8 tee times locked in, all the major tourist courses). They mentioned it will be up to the courses if they would give a refund or if they would be willing to reschedule to a different time frame. Is this all pretty accurate?

The Old Course said they're fully booked for the year (as usual) and next year it's hosting the Open so they were the least flexible. Carnoustie was happy to move to another date. North Berwick has a 30 day cancellation policy so they suggested I cancel and since I'm a single, they expect to be able to book me into a time. As I type this, I realize that my odds of getting on Muirfield as a wait list are probably much greater today than 4 months ago. Won't do me much good if I'm stuck cancelling.
As for the rules about Americans being able to get back in, I am also flying through one of those approved airports. I just honestly don't know if that's going to fly at home. My mother lives with my family and she's definitely an at-risk person being older and with COPD. I also have the issue at work, where it's hard to be working from home for the next few weeks and then hopping on an international flight for a 1.5 week golf trip. Probably bad optics there. Especially knowing I'd need to be home for the two weeks following as well.@Cmoney710 that sounds like the tour operator is covering his ass but don't let him pull any crap. Basically everyone I'm dealing with is saying if you cancel because you don't feel like going, you're SOL. But if a government (either your own or theirs) installs travel restrictions, they'll let you out of your commitments, typically 3 weeks before your trip.

I've got a trip to Canada in June... I'm hoping this all blows over by then because I won't be able to reschedule. With everything the CDC is saying that sort of seems...unlikely. With this whole social distancing thing while it's good for the capacity of health care facilities it also means the time span for which the virus sticks around will be much longer. I've seen some graphs showing this not really going away until end of 2020.

ย 

ย 

Our flight from Switzerland to Birmingham in April has been cancelled.

Still hopes for Scotland in July... but it looks like the virus could last the whole year.

Were are also on shutdown in Switzerland. The southern part (Ticino) has Italy-like problems, the rest of the country waits for the storm in a ghost town.

Let's hope the actions didn't come to late and it won't be that terrible.

All the best for you all.

I know you have now decided to cancel your trip but in relation to Nairn I'm not blown away by and think it punches above its weight. That said its in the process of a huge course investment/improvement which finishes soon so hopefully that makes it a lot better. I hope to visit again in May.

ย 

I'd go to Moray Old ahead of Nairn. I'm not saying its better but I will say I prefer it.

ย 

Dornoch is tremendous and I'll echo the shouts for Royal Aberdeen, Trump and Cruden. Throw in Fraserburgh and Murcar and you have a fantastic trip.

ย 

I think Scotland will suffer significantly this summer in relation to visitor numbers due to this Covid 19 outbreak.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

ย :smilie_ping:

Well I went ahead and started cancelling things today. I posed the question to St Andrews, as Iโ€™m sure they will have some inventory in August when people undoubtedly cancel if they might try moving my tee time. Iโ€™d certainly rebook everything for August or early September (most of sept is busy with the RA).

to be honest I just read the UK really screwed up their response, so at this point Iโ€™m not even confident itโ€™s worth pushing back, only to have the same conversation in 4-5 months.

We are seeing more and more businesses etc. closing here in Scotland now. Most courses are still open, but many clubhouses/changing facilities etc are closed.

Looks like this may well last a good few months.

Being out in the fresh air is being encouraged by some, so hopefully the courses remain open.

I guess with all the travel from overseas being cancelled, there will be a lot of empty courses/free times come high season - with I guess the opportunity for "locals" to get more games in on the higher end courses.

I am trying to take the positives here, from what is a grim situation for many.

this is part of an email I just received from Royal Aberdeen and regarding pay -

Visitors will be discouraged from visiting our premises from now until the end of April (to be re- assessed Mid-April) with the option to reschedule within a 24-month period. Visitors will be advised that all Clubhouse facilities will be unavailable to them and unfortunately our normal welcome experience clubhouse tour etc. will be affected.In all honesty the rest is common sense, right now if you are abroad you can't get there so cancellations are not a surprise.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15*ย Tensei Whiteย 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 ironย Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisanย  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

That probably is accurate. Our operator just emailed us today. We had a final payment due on the 18th, and then extended to the 20th. That deadline is now indefinite. The Old Course and Hotel seem to be the least accommodating. Their contention is that they are fully operational, and they will continue to be so. Our trip is for early-mid June. Iโ€™m hoping things start to stabilize around the world by then. But it doesnโ€™t look promising. Reports are that Covid-19 will peak in the U.K. around that time.

ย 

I was still a little unsure, until the Gov. announced a statewide shelter in place. At this point I am hoping the courses and hotels see the light give us a full refund. Itโ€™s kind of surprising that they think everything is still business as usual. I donโ€™t really see this pandemic being contained worldwide in three months. So even if they did lift the travel restrictions by June, I donโ€™t think I would go. The virus is forecast to peak in Scotland right around the time of our trip. Why would I want to go from one hot spot (the Bay Area) to another. Since the final payment due date is now indefinite, at least it appears they are re-evaluating the situation.

Gosh, hope all the folks in Euro zone get thru this chaos OK. Of course, Americans etc too. I'm quite isolated now and expect to stay that way for some weeks.

ย 

Am thinking though that if travel troubles continue until say July, then the all clear signal is given, it might be that the Irish and UK golf courses may offer reduced green fees to make up some lost income. My pension fund is taking a hammering and i would not pay $200+ to play any golf. But Lahinch, Sunningdale, etc at $100 may be a acceptable.

I'll see how things play out till 1 September 2020.

ย 

IDK? If anything, they could charge more. Painting with a broad brush, the golfers going to a "top whatever' UK or Ireland course are going to be folks that are comfortable with their work situation and are going to have more disposable income and time available, since they're doing nothing now. Assuming (big assumption) things are generally 'normal' and air travel is normalish while still in season, you'd then have people who'd booked already and held onto those, plus everyone who had their first 1/2 of the year bookings wiped out.

I appreciate the positivity on price point :-) but these clubs aren't your run of the mill muni. Hit 'em straight when you can!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |ย  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Received this morning;

ย 

Following the Government announcement last night in relation to the latest measures introduced to control the spread of Coronavirus I now contact all members to inform you that the courses & facilities are closed until further notice.

The above measures are also backed by our governing body 'Scottish Golf' please click on read more at the bottom of this communication to view their announcement.

ย 

Seems that's almost all course in the UK closed.

I'm scheduled to depart for a SW Ireland golf trip on April 17, and was wondering if the Republic of Ireland has joined Great Britain is shutting down their golf courses today (March 24)?

ย 

Callaway Paradym X Driver, 10.5ย Degrees (one inch shorter than standard)
Callaway Paradym X 3 Wood (+2 degrees)

Callaway Paradym 7 Wood

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha Hybrids, 5H, 6H and 7H

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha Irons, 8-PW, AW, GW and SW

Cleveland Smart Sole Full-Face LW
Odyssey Eleven Putter, 34 inches length

I prepaid a 4some for Turnberry for the 24th april, and I wrote to them to know what would have happened if we couldn't fly to Scotland from Italy.

They wrote that they will hold our money (ยฃ 1.000!) in deposit until 24th april 2021...letting us know that we could pay the difference for the fee depending on the period we could play,

Now, I don't find it correct.

First of all, we chose to go before th 1st of may because the fee was 250ยฃ and not 395ยฃ(!) anc even if we'll be able to go there in august, I don't want to spend that money for a round of golf.

Secondly, if we won't be able to play not only becausewe won't be able to get there from italy, but also because the course will be closed (as it's likely), they'll have to refund us.

ย 

Wow thatโ€™s the worst Iโ€™ve heard. St Andrews is allowing play through 2022. Including a vow to help rebook tee times on the Old. Theyโ€™ll also provide a 60% refund (If you prefer although maybe that changes as UK is now shut them down). Wonโ€™t get into politics but is anyone surprised Turnberry would be the worst?

Let me add one other thing. I honestly don't mind currently paying my gym membership. I'm still paying our weekly house cleaner even though we cancelled. I'm even thinking of rejoining the golf club I had decided against this year, because I want to see them survive. So I'm actually not all that bent out of shape by golf courses only issuing credit vs. refunds. BUT, they should be keeping their people paid through this if so. And I don't know how the UK works in terms of supporting businesses like this, but I'll trust a place like SA will balance it out as I don't see them stuffing the pockets of any shareholders or anything like that. I'd feel differently if it was United, a big multinational giant that always have shareholders first.

I know that Turnberry has been amazing for the locals, for work and the community. They love it there.

The UK government will pay 80% of monthly wages up to 2500 pounds sterling. There are grants etc available for businesses.

It was the best Golf Course I played last year and want to play it a second time, I did not play well and in reality the course was quite easy.

I plan to go back in September still for my 1 year Anniversary as we stayed at the Hotel and got married at near by Culzean Castle. I have not booked a thing though.

How all that effects a golf course I have no idea.

The way my club tends to work is the visitors pay for improvements and the membership fees pay for the club. Looks like we won't be having improvements this year!

• Like 1