2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Summer golf trips vs Covid 19

Starting to look at rebooking our June trip. Don’t see anyway that is happening. Tough times for everyone and as disappointed as I am this can be rebooked. At lot of people have it worse now than worrying about a golf trip.

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

We fully canceled our Scotland Trip in June and actually got a full refund from the airlines. Sounds like many of the courses are letting us just rebook to the same venues for next year and bumping the people from this year to the top of the list. It will take some time for them to go over all the logistics as they were fully booked due to the Open at the OC. Hopefully they continue to do the right thing.

All golf courses are still closed.

The manager and pro of RAGC have been sending out loads of stuff, David the pro has even been teasing on how good the course is looking!

Terrible by Carnoustie to not reply.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

UK based but due to lock-down our 2 years in the making trip to St Andrews at the end of this month is now officially dead. Have gambled slightly and re-booked tee times in September as availability was really good. Plan is to fly (we are South East England) assuming airports are back to normal, or if not worst case we will road trip up. Gutted but feels like a fairly minor inconvenience compared to what a lot of people are going through. St Andrews have been superb though, really accommodating and responsive. Unlike BA on the flights who are completely useless.

That was the one caveat, Old Course availability is basically Nil. 2nd half of the month they begin closing stuff in preparation for the Dunhill Links so everything is compressed into the first couple of weeks. But the weekend we booked (10-13th) for our unlimited 3 day ticket, were able to get early tee times on Castle, Jubilee and New which fitted well with our schedule. We didn't have an Old Course tee originally so decided to keep the trip this year anyway if we could.

We have the advantage of being UK based, so are planning another trip in 2022 when we will play the Old. (2021 going to do an Ireland trip.)

I found St Andrews massively helpful over email, so may be worth dropping them a line just to check.

Not to be a Buzz Killington, but England's Chief Medical Officer finally went on record today saying distancing - in some TBD degree of stringency - is going to be in play at least through this golfing season (he didn't explicitly mention golf obviously :-) Will assume Scotland and Wales will follow suit, if they haven't already.

I don't know what folk's travel insurance policies are like, but I'd reckon at a minimum to fully enjoy yourself and at a maximum to practically fulfill you actual itinerary/tee times/travel, this year is a write off, and who knows but 2021 doesn't seem great either based on vaccine timeline projections.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I received an email from our tour operator yesterday that they are offering a full refund of deposits for our Edinburgh/St. Andrews trip this June. Or we can leave the deposit in place, and apply the moneys for a trip in 2021, with the same itinerary. In addition there will be a limited pre extension which would include Dunbar, Renaissance Club or Archerfield. And Muirfield, which I was unable to get a tee time for this year. Apparently because of the Covid-19 situation this year, Muirfield is offering Monday play for visitors in 2021, in addition to their regular visitor days (Tuesdays and Thursdays ?).

My travel insurance carrier is offering to extend the travel dates of my policy into 2021. Since I purchased the policy in December, I’m hoping the trip cancellation portion of the policy will still apply in 2021. I believe it was late February or early March that the insurance companies stopped offering cancellation/interruption insurance in their policies.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Summary for those of us who are too lazy to read it?

edit - couldn't find the word 'Golf'

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Ha! Sections 5/6 are really the only ones worth reading. For the travelling golfer, think the key bits are:

Physical distancing for the foreseeable future. "Gatherings in groups" won't be coming back anytime soon, explicitly mentioning pubs in that regard"If, after easing any restrictions, the evidence tells us we are unable to contain the transmission of the virus then we will have to re-impose them, possibly returning to lockdown with little notice. While we will do our best to avoid this, it is possible that such a cycle may happen more than once until we reach a point when we have in place an effective vaccine."

F.T.

i emailed St Andrews to see what was happening with our trip there (11th May on the Jubilee, 12th on TOC that we got through the ballot), and had a response very quickly.

We’re rebooking for the same (roughly) dates next year and they’ll contact us in July with the exact dates. They were superb to deal with.

atm, they’re currently doing this for anyone booked until June 30th. I’d assume this will be a rolling timeline until things improve or at least until plans are made more long term

wow, feel for you!

I wonder if I will get home this summer to golf now... Houston - Scotland.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Wow! I was debating rescheduling my trip from this April to this October or or 2021. Guess they made my decision for me. Just as it seems we're starting to see some reopening talk here in the NY/NJ area, seeing international travel nixed through the fall is a bucket of cold water reality check. I suppose spring of 2021 might still be iffy, as traveling overseas might be one of the last things to return to normal.

There will always be an airline willing to fly you - laws/restrictions allowing of course - you might just have to pick a carrier you don't get points for ;-)
Less applicable to you, but very applicable to the traveling/touristing golfer - is if any of the UK's exit plans involve self-quaranting upon arrival from overseas. Funnily enough it doesn't exist now, but just another thing to consider. @philsRHman I understand everyone's situation is different, but that is the only choice IMHO. I'm just some nomark reading and listening to things, but it's mental to think about trying to shoehorn in a trip this year. I'm hoping Autumn '21, but am thinking sometime '22 is way more sensible.

F.T.

Aer Lingus isn't United and Ireland isn't Scotland. Carriers across the board are chopping 'seasonal flights' for obvious reasons, United is maintaining NY/NJ to Edi, but getting rid of those seasonal EDI ones. Flight Disruption Information - Aer LingusIreland is really not effing around with Covi19 - they actually have a 14 day self-isolate on right now, but guess following this site and link on that page to the Irish gov't site are the best things to do.

F.T.