Summer golf trips vs Covid 19

Had a trip to East Lothian planned for late August that we ended up postponing to next year. The deciding factor was Muirfield telling us that they might not allow guests to play even if the quarantine is lifted. So while we were bummed about having to postpone, all of the courses and our Air Bnb hosts were incredibly easy to work with to get everything pushed back a year and I applaud them for that. Not ideal but there are people making way more important sacrifices during this crisis than me and my friends are. Will be nice to have next year's trip fully paid for more than a year in advance.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 10.5 - Fuji Pro 63x Tour Spec
Callaway Rogue 15 - Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.5
Taylormade TP UDI 3 iron - X100 AMT Tour Issue
Mizuno 919T 4-9- X100 AMT Tour White
Mizuno T7 46 - X100 AMT Tour White
Mizuno T7 50, 56, & 60 - S400 Tour Issue
Taylormade TP Ardmore 3

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll explain you why not. I HOPE that this nightmare will finish soon, but if all the people of the WORLD won't take measures (AKA: quarantine) it will be a mess. I live in Italy, which is, as you mig

The quarantine is the best bet for now, the fact is the virus is here, and the best way to prevent hospital overloading, which is also when the most deaths occur, is the limit the spread as much as po

I know that Turnberry has been amazing for the locals, for work and the community. They love it there. The UK government will pay 80% of monthly wages up to 2500 pounds sterling. There are grants etc

Hope you can. I think another trip for us was not very realistic for next year, but we may have done it but for the continuing situation - so at least thinking of 2022 seems like something real I can sink my teeth into until life calls my bluff in about another 18 months or so, lol. I'm really thinking of a London/Scotland three week expedition (not a golf every day kind of thing) that potentially could include a visit to The Open - a guy can dream.

Meantime, August trip to Cali hanging by a thread. Have jettisoned air travel and will, if we go, make the 2.5 days drive each way and avoid three flights and five airport experiences --- I enjoy decompressing while crossing the country so driving will be great for me. What was that ad when I was growing up? "See the USA in a ............................. wife's Subaru" - not that catchy, but economical! First week there is pretty much pure isolation, sounds good right now - after that we are debating adjustments that keep us there but out of highly populated areas or just making the second week a drive back across a different part of America kind of thing. So unpredictable and may have to bag it for good in another couple of weeks. Hope not.

Edit: California is off for 2020, no way we can count on anything being open in a few weeks and sounds like airlines are packing 'em in like sardines.

Absolutely. They already take the p 1 s s charging the same as the Big 5, so they probably figure why not try that as well.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

As a Scotsman I am embarrassed by the stance that Carnoustie has taken. Very sad that you have had to enlist the help of your credit card company to get a refund based on a global pandemic when that should have been an automatic no questions asked decision to refund. Greed and lack of customer care on behalf of Carnoustie.

Cobra Speedzone driver - Evenflow Riptide  :  Honma TW747 3 wood- Diamana Tensei Blue 70 :  Callaway Rogue 7 wood- Diamana Blueboard 70 :  Ping i500 4-U - Recoil ES  :  Ping Glide 3.0 wedges 54 + 58 :  Ping Vault Ketsch 

• 3 weeks later...

Carnoustie offered us tee times in the future which are now booked. The club was off putting in their behaviour, but delivered.

Strangely, the only Scottish club not to refund or offer future times is Cullen. Extremely poor customer relations.

A shout out to Moray. The club CALLED me and insisted on a refund. So only North Berwick and Moray offered refunds.

Indeed. I much preferred it when having to put up with those stereotype-provers meant listening to someone complain 'you call that a large, that ain't no large' and other minor annoyances.
Who knows where we'll be in the short to medium term @jkumpire Plan/make bookings for 2022 and hope for the best. You're already behind all the 2020 rebookers and kean 2021ers. And surely an additional 12 months won't see that much further of a decline in your game :-)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

August trip to Bandon postponed. One of ours decided against. Rescheduled for 2021.

Edited by Cwing

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5” vs Callaway Max 10.5* Rogue Max
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos vs Callaway Max 15*
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven TU, Seemore si3, si5, Directed Force Reno, PING Ketsch
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Shot Scope V3

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I'm thinking that even trips within the United States are going to be a problem or Amercans, not just going to Europe. The infection rates have increased dramatically and with no firm policy in place it may only get worse before it gets better. And that likely means that other countries won't allow Americans to enter in the near future. Until we get a vaccine I'm not sure it's advisable to travel anywhere right now on in the near future either. This is very depressing.

Alright, I’m in for mid May. Let the planning begin. Whereas I was Going to be spending the first half Of my trip in East Lothian, I’ll probably have to flip that now, since my TOC time is on a Tuesday. Will probably arrive Saturday, stay in SA until Friday (unless I get a wait list time at Muirfield for Thursday) and then head to North Berwick for Friday-Monday. Can’t play NB on Saturday so will probably aim to play it Friday and Monday, with Glen and Gullane on the weekend. Fly home Tuesday morning.

• 6 months later...
On 5/1/2020 at 11:56 AM, baddomes said:

I had a tee time on April 12th at Carnoustie (they were closed) and they have held firm about not refunding me. Received a temporary credit with Chase yesterday for the greens fees. I guess Carnoustie can respond to Chase in the next few weeks to justify the charge, but at least Chase is now fighting with them and not me.

I booked my trip without the help of a tour company. Gullane, North Berwick, and St. Andrews all refunded in full. Carnoustie's stance is "not market", as they say.

Once I hear more, I'll update in this thread.

In the process of cancelling my Carnoustie booking for April that was rescheduled from last year. I purchased the tee time in January of 2020. Carnoustie is offering 50% or rescheduling. I have no plans of going in the near future so I would prefer a full refund. Do you think I have any recourse with Chase at this point? Did you file your claim online?

4 hours ago, srs06d said:

In the process of cancelling my Carnoustie booking for April that was rescheduled from last year. I purchased the tee time in January of 2020. Carnoustie is offering 50% or rescheduling. I have no plans of going in the near future so I would prefer a full refund. Do you think I have any recourse with Chase at this point? Did you file your claim online?

Just refuse payment. The card company will take care of you. Ridiculous that Carnousite would pull that crap! 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G410 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
Ping g25 5-PW Steelfiber i95 Reg
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50* Mid, 54* Full @ 55, 58* Low @ 60 Hi Rev 2.0 Reg
Evnroll TR8 33"

4 hours ago, srs06d said:

I can't remember actually. I think I may have tried to file online and then needed to call chase to finalize the claim. Totally forgot about this. Seems like 10 years ago. 

Haven't been keeping up with the current situation, but one key thing to note for my example is that carnoustie was closed on the day of my tee time. That may have played a role in getting a full refund. 

6 hours ago, srs06d said:

It's still very possible they won't even be allowed to have you since you're not local. Last I heard from my B&B owner was that the next wave of restrictions wouldn't lift until May. If that's the case then you're on much better footing for a full refund. 

For what it's worth, Carnoustie remains the one place I've dealt with that's been so steadfast.