Pxg gen 3 Tour

TechBroker

I have been playing the Gen2 T and had a fitting last week for the Gen3 T’s. There is a decent amount of forgiveness with these irons. I have played the JPX Forged, Hot Metal Pro’s, Srixon 765’s and Mizuno HMB’s and prefer the PXG T’s and find them just as, if not more, forgiving than any of those. Minimal loss of distance on slight miss hits. I do like the feel of the Gen3’s a bit more and especially like their turf interaction with my swing better than the Gen2’s. Very consistent divot pattern and my misses are noticeably penalized less. I run between a 2 and a 5 index depending on how much I am playing and my iron play is the weakest part of my game. If you like the T’s I can’t see any reason why they would not work great for a 5-8 capper.

Great to hear all the positive comments. I have the Gen 1 0311Ts. Love them, but they are beginning to show signs of wear. Tried the Gen 2 and to be honest, the feel was off and they did not live up what I expected from an improvement over Gen 1.

Really hoping the Gen 3 Ts are soft and nicer feeling. Going to try them out once the weather gets a little better here in then North East.

This is all very encouraging to read. I prefer the size of the 0311t over the p. Today though I went in to dial in the t model and get an order placed. But when we drew up the order the fitter was showing 0311p and when I pointed that out the fitter said that’s what I was hitting today. And I’ll say this, I had absolutely no idea. Now I’ve hit the t twice before and today I had no reason to believe I was hitting anything other than a t due to the form factor. The top line was still fairly thin and nothing in the sole screamed huge to me. My dad was there and I know the fitter well so it was one of those much bsing during swinging days so all that could have distracted me. But I was shocked at how slimmer they made the p.

Anyway once we realized what happened and put the t back in I actually picked up more ball speed (121 on t compared to 119 with p) but the big difference is I wasn’t overly drawing them like I did with the p. For some reason on bigger headed irons I usually shut that face down quicker. I really had to work on hitting a cut just to hit the p’s straight and mind u I didn’t know I was hitting the p

‘Back on topic - I’m glad that others here feel they are plenty forgiving - which to me means retaining ball speeds - and that helps put my mind at ease. A little. I was toying with 4/5 in a p and rest a t but I usually hit thinner soled long irons better anyways At least right now I’m gonna go with a full set of t. I can’t guarantee I’ll wake up in the morning feeling the same way

Thank you. The thing that was giving me pause though is that I really don’t know how forgiving the t is. My miss is toe side. Other than warm ups, my SF on Trackman I don’t think got below 1.46 with the t. All I could do when I tried To hit slight toe was to hit one on the extreme end of the toe - like half off the grooves :) obviously not what I wanted to test.

Prior sessions I know I would hit different parts of the face but that was when testing shafts. And I didn’t pay attention to ball speed variances there because I was more concerned with putting a good swing on a given shaft. When we determined my steel fiber is still best shaft for me I pretty much had it dialed in on sweet spot.

FYI - I switched to SteelFiber 95s after 20 years of DG/KBS 120-130g shafts just destroyed my wrists one year. Had a short love affair with Recoil in between. I had no problem dropping down in weight but now it’s so hard to get back up. I could adapt given time but don’t feel the need. I absolutely love what SF gives me but there were a few other shafts I considered:

KBS Max graphite. They only had the 85g but stated they do make 95g (KBS website does not show 95 and I didn’t inquire further). Little softer tip but retained stability while giving slightly higher launch and better landing angle. The feel though for me - OMG. Soft middle that I could really feel load/unload. Unfortunately the graphics are screen printed and absolutely garish. ESP since I knew I would get shafts pured that it would be very distracting. If not for graphics and if they made a 95g version I would seriously consider

KBS TGI. Forgot the weight but want to say 80g. I thought it felt like a 110g shaft when I put it in my hands. Supposedly pretty tip stiff. It definitely was not loose. It felt fine for this weight class but I just did not care for the overall profile, feel or results. It def launches lower than anything but I don’t feel as though I swung it well

Oban Steel 100g (I don’t know if there are multiple models of Oban steel). What a great shaft. If I really really wanted to play steel and pay even more than graphite I would choose this. Great feeling shaft all around and very good results.

As a reference and going off memory, my best 7 iron results were 85mph, 124 or 125 ball speed, launch angle of 15 and descent angle of 43 with 1.48 SF. Occasionally I can get to 1.51 SF and even once hit 1.52 The 0311t often gave me multiple of those results during a given swing.

got fitted today.

the ST is a blade. Size and shape are similar to my mizunos. The mizunos do have a slightly smaller sole when placed side by side. Mishits are not as punishing with the ST than my mp20 muscle backs. I hit one thin and it only fell 5 yards shorter than the ones I striped. Ball flight is higher than the T and P.

Surprisingly...... ball speed was the same across the ST, T, and P.

Im probably going with the P’s 3-7 and T’s 8-p. I heard the P’s are slightly more chunky looking in the scoring irons. I’d like to have a smaller profile in my scoring clubs.

Had some spare time, so the fitter put together some hybrids for me. I told him i dont hit hybrids and fairway woods much because i usually hook them like crazy. He rearranged the weights to make it fade bias, and the heads were 3 degrees flat. Sure enough, high straight shots just a couple yards right of my target.

I too caved last week and ordered the Ts. After trying the Gen1s and Gen2s, I had completely discounted PXG and felt that they were not a brand I'd ever purchase simply because those irons didn't have the feel of other cavity back irons I've gamed. I thought they were gimmicky and geared towards people who play golf, but weren't necessarily golfers. Well, they finally got it right with the Gen3s. The feeling is very impressive and night and day different than the previous two iterations. The distance (which I don't need) and dispersion were also incrementally better than what I've been playing the most over the last year, Srixon Z785s. I have also gamed the Mizuno MMCs and MP20 musclebacks in that time. Directly comparing the Srixons vs. the PXGs, the PXGs were a clear winner across the board. I hit it all over the face to see the results and on mishits, the distance and dispersion was simply too incredible to ignore. These things are performers. It was hard to swallow the cost considering they are 3X what I normally pay for irons but in the grand scheme, if they give me more confidence and allow me to hit more GIR, the cost is negligible and I'll make that up in money games the first month anyway. I realize they are not for everyone, and to each their own, but I can't remember hitting irons that gave me that much confidence in my life. Really looking forward to the arrival of the black box.

• Like 1

Ha, thank you. Our games are kind of legendary around these parts so I completely understand. Several have been bitten badly never to return again while the core group of 10-12 or so men consistently return for punishment and/or glory year after year. Easy to justify the cost on these clubs when you consider the stakes we play for and 1 shot could legitimately mean the difference between free PXG irons or buying a set for someone else.

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. Kind of like a mini tournament!

golf is a whole different game playing with your buddies compared to having something on the line. The overall consistency of the guys on tour is really amazing to me given I could easily fold under the pressure of a 3 ft putt to win $50. Hahahaha

Maybe their Gen 3's will bring back  Charles S., Rollins, Horschel, and Reavie, There is still hope as I think isn't J. Daly is still playing them.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

any side by side pics(top line and sole) with the ST and mp20?

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link

Not trying to be cruel here............lI don’t think left handed heads are back ordered. My shop placed an order of 4-GW last week and I would hope they would’ve called me by now if they weren’t available.

‘For what it’s worth, your post did crack me up with the way you phrased it. And yeah I would be getting impatient as well.

size and top line looks great on the ST. just need to see the sole comparison and i might try to get a set. thanks

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link