2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

That one guy you HATE playing with...

caeye0710

Met one of them " I don't do ready golf" guys this past weekend. Late afternoon time our threesome gets paired with this guy, seemed nice enough on the first tee. He's playing the tips and us from the middle tees. One friend asks on certain holes if we can drive up to our tees if it's out of the way and nothing mess with him. Say he's prefers not and to me that's ok could be a safety thing if you mess one up.

Hole 3 short par 4, I bail out right with water up the left side, guy is in the fairway but further back, waiting for the green to clear, I had no shot, blocked out by trees so I punch out sideways to 70 yards away with the group still on the green. We get to the green and he goes "you know you're suppose to wait for the away person to shoot or give you permission" ....it's going to be a long day.

First par 3 of the back nine buddy short sides him self them kinda blades the cheap 40 ft past the hole on the green. No one is in anyone's lines so me and my buddy putt out while he stands there hands on hips rushing our third. walking back to the carts he random aloud say "you should probably just pick that and take a double up so we can finish" pick up a par putt because he had to walk from side of the green to the other and he wouldn't play ready golf.

Teed off at 3:10 normal with normal waits we usually play in 3-3.5 hrs. Played 18 in the dark pretty much and finished at 7:40

• Like 1

Guy this morning... the most frustrating experience I've had in a long time. Middle-aged guy, with Bryson style hat and body. Took FOR EVER before every hit. Didn't get ready while others are hitting (didnt even take a club out), took forever in his pre-shot routine that consisted of multiple waggles, an awkward backswing motion practice, practice swing, waggle, awkward backswing motion, swing. The kicker, half of the shots were bad.

For putts, used Bryson's technique. Counted steps, walked around the ball from all angles. Was never ready (waiting on the other side of the hole), took forever. Missed his putts constantly.

Phone rang multiple times, loud, while we were on the green.

Searched for his ball in the rough, 30-50 yards beyond where his other drives went. "I hit it well, could have gone 270". 

It was unbearable. My rounds at this course range from 2:50h to 3:20h. We were the first group out this morning (3some) and it took us 4:20, with the group behind us constantly having to wait. 

Did I say anything? Yes, asked him to shut off his phone. I did not want to make a stink, so I did not actively try to get him to speed it up. Maybe I should have. I didnt have my best day either, and I did not mind the bad shots. But the tardiness just was too much. 

Edited by Seidinho
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

4 hours ago, Hateto3Putt said:

Open seas ahead?

By the third tee I would have ditched him..."Hey, we have an important thing at noon, we're jumping ahead, don't wanna rush ya"...

omg... why did I not do this. I feel dumb right now. 

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

On 9/29/2020 at 8:37 PM, Warrior42111 said:

Met one of them " I don't do ready golf" guys this past weekend. Late afternoon time our threesome gets paired with this guy, seemed nice enough on the first tee. He's playing the tips and us from the middle tees. One friend asks on certain holes if we can drive up to our tees if it's out of the way and nothing mess with him. Say he's prefers not and to me that's ok could be a safety thing if you mess one up.

Hole 3 short par 4, I bail out right with water up the left side, guy is in the fairway but further back, waiting for the green to clear, I had no shot, blocked out by trees so I punch out sideways to 70 yards away with the group still on the green. We get to the green and he goes "you know you're suppose to wait for the away person to shoot or give you permission" ....it's going to be a long day.

First par 3 of the back nine buddy short sides him self them kinda blades the cheap 40 ft past the hole on the green. No one is in anyone's lines so me and my buddy putt out while he stands there hands on hips rushing our third. walking back to the carts he random aloud say "you should probably just pick that and take a double up so we can finish" pick up a par putt because he had to walk from side of the green to the other and he wouldn't play ready golf.

Teed off at 3:10 normal with normal waits we usually play in 3-3.5 hrs. Played 18 in the dark pretty much and finished at 7:40

Edited by milesgiles

On 10/2/2020 at 12:01 AM, Seidinho said:

Guy this morning... the most frustrating experience I've had in a long time. Middle-aged guy, with Bryson style hat and body. Took FOR EVER before every hit. Didn't get ready while others are hitting (didnt even take a club out), took forever in his pre-shot routine that consisted of multiple waggles, an awkward backswing motion practice, practice swing, waggle, awkward backswing motion, swing. The kicker, half of the shots were bad.

For putts, used Bryson's technique. Counted steps, walked around the ball from all angles. Was never ready (waiting on the other side of the hole), took forever. Missed his putts constantly.

Searched for his ball in the rough, 30-50 yards beyond where his other drives went. "I hit it well, could have gone 270". 

It was unbearable. My rounds at this course range from 2:50h to 3:20h. We were the first group out this morning (3some) and it took us 4:20, with the group behind us constantly having to wait. 

Did I say anything? Yes, asked him to shut off his phone. I did not want to make a stink, so I did not actively try to get him to speed it up. Maybe I should have. I didnt have my best day either, and I did not mind the bad shots. But the tardiness just was too much. 

I’ll look for one, maybe two balls per person per round, absolute maximum. After that, you aren’t winning anything, you aren’t shooting a pb, Idgaf. It’s not reasonable to hold the course up

Guys who spend way too much time looking for balls in deep rough or lateral penalty areas.  Maybe I'm wrong but I assume it's because they play with balls they really can't afford to lose.  They will look forever for a $4 Titleist if you let them while I walk away from my $1.50 Srixons, etc, pretty damn quick.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Slow players, especially those who take a half dozen practice swings, toss grass 3x before addressing ball, back off, more practice swings then shank it into the unknown (repeatedly)

• Like 2

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

On 9/29/2020 at 12:37 PM, Warrior42111 said:

What a silver spoon king Joffrey

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 3:37 PM, Warrior42111 said:

That would make me really mad, I am not even good at golf, but I still want to enjoy my round and have some fun, I have been with partners that would hit several balls of the tee until one found the fairway, then proceed to look for the other 4 or 5 in the rough and bushes, it just ruin  a round of golf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2020 at 7:01 PM, Seidinho said:

We played a couple weeks ago, behind a group that had a couple of guys like that, because it was a scramble we were not able to jump ahead, but at some point they had us and two other groups waiting for them on the tee of a par 5, 12 total golfers getting cold and swearing at them.

the par 5 was playing about 550 for the tournament, the group that was keeping everyone waiting had hit short of the ladies tees, a mere 80 yards ahead, they hit their second shots to about another 120 yards down, that is leaving a 350 yard shot into the green, I am not a gambling man, but at that point I would bet my first born and one year salary that none of those guys could make the green, still they waited for almost 10 minutes to hit their next shots.

It was infuriating to say the least, luckily we were able to get a starter out to talk to them, by the next two holes they picked up the pace really well.

• Like 1

Guys who swear after every shot, people who have no concept of ready golf / pace of play, guys who pound a 12 pack and are wasted mid front 9, and the guy who tries to give you swing advice (especially when the guy is worse than you). I can probably think of others, but these are the ones that stick out. 

• Like 3

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

1 hour ago, krtgolfing said:

Guys who swear after every shot, people who have no concept of ready golf / pace of play, guys who pound a 12 pack and are wasted mid front 9, and the guy who tries to give you swing advice (especially when the guy is worse than you). I can probably think of others, but these are the ones that stick out. 

Agreed with all of those stereotypes.

I play a lot of solo rounds because I can and it's nice. The pace of play, especially with a power cart is proper. 

A buddy is joining with me, so we will play together and that works. He doesn't piss me off and I return the favor.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2020 at 9:08 AM, NoTalentLefty said:

We got a guy in our group that thinks he’s a genius at golf. Gives everybody advice on everything from swing thoughts to the clothes we wear. Yells and screams at anybody in his perceived way. Rude to his 4some. You name it he does it. Can’t wait to finish the round and get home. The only problem is it’s me.....

I so hope that is not true.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 9:23 PM, flip flappy said:

Me and my friends play at a course out in a rural area that is really relaxed. One of the guys is really sensitive to any noise (people in adjacent fairways), or movement when he is putting or about to hit a shot. He is very vocal about this and is quite competitive. He recently bought a puppy and has brought it with him just about every time we have played lately. Off course the puppy can be distracting and we are at a loss as to why our partner would do such when he is so sensitive.

I've been playing for years and have never seen a puppy on the course, where the does the pup stay/sit?

I am trying my best to learn how to put up with almost anything. I have chosen to accept the casual side of golf and how my ability in accepting it can help me grow into a more patient person. With that said, lets talk about playing when it matters.

If it matters, and we are concentrating, then don't give me any sort of analyzation of my shot, my swing, my strategic decision, or anything else. AND DON"T TALK TO MY F**K*!G BALL! That is the most important point of them all, do not talk to golf balls that aren't your own. So many people do this, stop it. 

My apologies for sounding like a jerk, but If reading this helps inform any of you who do those things, this post will have served a purpose. Say, "good rip", or, "nice ball" (if it is one) from the tee, then shut up for the rest of the hole. If a great shot is hit or putt is holed, then definitely acknowledge it, but keep it brief. If you want to talk, talk about things other than golf. If you do this, good players will enjoy playing with you. I am not saying I know because I am a good player, but I have a modest tournament background, and I've played with enough really good players to have observed the etiquette they grant one another. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Block said:

I am trying my best to learn how to put up with almost anything. I have chosen to accept the casual side of golf and how my ability in accepting it can help me grow into a more patient person. With that said, lets talk about playing when it matters.

If it matters, and we are concentrating, then don't give me any sort of analyzation of my shot, my swing, my strategic decision, or anything else. AND DON"T TALK TO MY F**K*!G BALL! That is the most important point of them all, do not talk to golf balls that aren't your own. So many people do this, stop it. 

My apologies for sounding like a jerk, but If reading this helps inform any of you who do those things, this post will have served a purpose. Say, "good rip", or, "nice ball" (if it is one) from the tee, then shut up for the rest of the hole. If a great shot is hit or putt is holed, then definitely acknowledge it, but keep it brief. If you want to talk, talk about things other than golf. If you do this, good players will enjoy playing with you. I am not saying I know because I am a good player, but I have a modest tournament background, and I've played with enough really good players to have observed the etiquette they grant one another. 

Let it go, my friend, let it go....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

X________________________________ Sign Here

2 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

Gary wolstenholme made the same observation to a friend of mine.

nobody likes Gary Wolstenholme..

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

Nothing personal, but it happens to be true (on both counts) so naturally I thought of it..

None taken. It was a king-hell-rant, very deserving of derision. If this Gary fellow gave your friend a brow-beating for talking to his (Gary’s) ball, then that is a little much.  Some people just can’t help themselves, but I do think they should try...I’m going to have to stand firm on that one. 

That said, I don’t call people out for doing any of the things (in my original post), I just don’t enjoy their company as much if they do. I’ve noticed the serious tournament players I occasionally get to play with never do those things - especially if it’s a money game.   

As for my snarky response, you’ll have to forgive me, I thought I was being drawn into a session of British bollocking - you had me excited haha 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Block said:

None taken. It was a king-hell-rant, very deserving of derision. If this Gary fellow gave your friend a brow-beating for talking to his (Gary’s) ball, then that is a little much.  Some people just can’t help themselves, but I do think they should try...I’m going to have to stand firm on that one. 

That said, I don’t call people out for doing any of the things (in my original post), I just don’t enjoy their company as much if they do. I’ve noticed the serious tournament players I occasionally get to play with never do those things - especially if it’s a money game.   

As for my snarky response, you’ll have to forgive me, I thought I was being drawn into a session of British bollocking - you had me excited haha 

Lols, btw Gary Wolstenholme is a famous British amateur, son of Guy. My chum was a tour player so knew what was appropriate. I think he simply said ‘good shot’ but unfortunately Gary’s ball then rolled into a bunker..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hateto3Putt said:

Let it go, my friend, let it go....

Maybe not so emotionally, but I have to agree with 'no ball talking'. It usually happens when you hit an errant shot that is destined for a hazard, with the 'ball talker' praising the shot, "great shot", then it lands in the woods. It rubs salt in the wound.

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter