2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

That one guy you HATE playing with...

caeye0710

9 hours ago, JoeGuy30 said:

I've been playing for years and have never seen a puppy on the course, where the does the pup stay/sit?

The dog rides either on the seat or in the floor of the cart. He has a leash that is about 5 feet long attached to the cart that allows the dog to get out and stretch his legs while we are away from the cart. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

7 hours ago, hybrid25 said:

Maybe not so emotionally, but I have to agree with 'no ball talking'. It usually happens when you hit an errant shot that is destined for a hazard, with the 'ball talker' praising the shot, "great shot", then it lands in the woods. It rubs salt in the wound.

For this exact reason I tend to wait till the ball comes to rest before making a comment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jedaigeki said:

For this exact reason I tend to wait till the ball comes to rest before making a comment. 

I've said in a joking manner to strangers I've been paired with, just a simple "hey my ball is confused enough, just let me talk to it" Nothing nasty but it usually gets the idea across. And like Jed mentioned ^ , I'll only comment once another players ball comes to rest with a simple nice shot, good shot ect. 

• Like 1

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

15 hours ago, milesgiles said:

Lols, btw Gary Wolstenholme is a famous British amateur, son of Guy. My chum was a tour player so knew what was appropriate. I think he simply said ‘good shot’ but unfortunately Gary’s ball then rolled into a bunker..

Sounds like a tee-shot that was struck nicely and happened to catch a bad bounce. If that was the case, than I can understand his reputation. Pretty poor manners to be cross with a compliment in that situation. 

I had a look at his Wikipedia page. It kind of struck me that he was an amateur in the classic sense. That connected the dots right away, haha

Edited by Dr. Block

Not playing a round but on the practice range over the last month. Just for background the range is part of a nice semi private course but separate the the course (opposite sides of the road). It's the only lit range in the area for me so I go there during the winter. Also the range has no dress code, and also the club has a very good kids program, you'll see why I said these in a moment.

So I often go to the range after a workout, it just makes sense driving direction wise. So often I'm there in mesh shorts or sweatpants and a T-Shirt. I've definitely have gotten some looks and head shakes. It really doesn't bother me personally, but the idea of being judge on the range for attire when I'm there for a literal golf workout is um fascinating to me to say the least.

As to the second part, as I said there's a real good kids program there. So if you go on days between 5-7 I think about 1/6th the range is blocked off for them. That's great you can separate the kids to work with them, as a football coach I understand certain ages can be hard to wrangle in on a given day. Yet I have hard complaints about it once or twice since you may have to wait for an open spot on the range. Again it's more of a fascination trying to get in that person's mind on why their payment is worth more than other person who payed the same, or really for for the kids' program.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:57 AM, GolfTurkey said:

This one guy who (apart from his rampant cheating) has the apparent ability to “step on a duck” on demand. Tends to time it when you are at P3.5; too late to bail out but enough time to mess up the shot.

I prefer the quiet duck walking off the tee box. throws a wrench in the pre shot routine. 😆😆

• Haha 1

Slow players, people who get constantly mad at their bad shots and swear out loud or throw clubs AND never practise nor take lessons from a pro. I mean, what else of an outcome should you expect to play out with that formula???

Then there are the swing advicers. I’m too good of a player to get swing advice from random playing partners but too many times I’ve seen people on the course or driving rage going full Butch Harmon on their close ones and actually have zero clue what they are talking about. It seems to be worst among families and extended families. Hacks who can’t break 100 coach their wifes, children and son in laws like their life depends on it. Always without them asking for it. Before and after each and every shot. Seriously, if you want your girlfriend or wife to improve, buy her a lesson from a local pro. If you want your kid to actually learn the right technique, put him or her to a local junior program or a golf school. 

Women definitely get it worse in the swing advice section. Usually these older men see it as their divine right to start commenting on the swing and giving playing advice to a woman in their group, regardless if they know her or not. How many times have I seen the opposite happen during my 25 years playing career in golf, a woman giving advise to a random man? Not once. 😄

Edited by SamboRoll
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, SamboRoll said:

Slow players, people who get constantly mad at their bad shots and swear out loud or throw clubs AND never practise nor take lessons from a pro. I mean, what else of an outcome should you expect to play out with that formula???

Then there are the swing advisers. I’m too good of a player to get swing advise from random playing partners but too many times I’ve seen people on the course or driving rage going full Butch Harmon on their close ones and actually have zero clue what they are talking about. It seems to be worst among families and extended families. Hacks who can’t break 100 coach their wifes, children and son in laws like their life depends on it. Always without them asking for it. Before and after each and every shot. Seriously, if you want your girlfriend or wife to improve, buy her a lesson from a local pro. If you want your kid to actually learn the right technique, put him or her to a local junior program or a golf school. 

Women definitely get it worse in the swing advise section. Usually these older men see it as their divine right to start commenting on the swing and giving playing advice to a woman in their group, regardless if they know her or not. How many times have I seen the opposite happen during my 25 years playing career in golf, a woman giving advise to a random man? Not once. 😄

I don't want swing advice on the course from anyone. Stranger or friend. +2 handicap. Don't care. Let me do my thing. 

• Like 2

I think I found the one person I absolutely do not playing with about 4 weeks ago.  I normally go out with my normal 3 some and sometimes my cousins or other friends have the time to fill in that fourth spot.  That day was the exception.  One of weekend warrior usual golf buddies decided to bring out 2 of his co workers.  Normally, I have quite a bit of patience even with the golfers who tend to drink too much out on the course.  This guy was something else.  I'm all for having fun and letting loose out on the course, but this guy took it too far and started "acting a fool" starting from the middle of the round.  He would throw temper tantrums after bad shots, cussing excessively among other things and basically ruining the round for everyone else.  Next time my golf buddy asks if he can invite "T" for an outing, I will make sure to turn him down. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, SamboRoll said:

Then there are the swing advisers. I’m too good of a player to get swing advise from random playing partners but too many times I’ve seen people on the course or driving rage going full Butch Harmon on their close ones and actually have zero clue what they are talking about. It seems to be worst among families and extended families. Hacks who can’t break 100 coach their wifes, children and son in laws like their life depends on it. Always without them asking for it. Before and after each and every shot. Seriously, if you want your girlfriend or wife to improve, buy her a lesson from a local pro. If you want your kid to actually learn the right technique, put him or her to a local junior program or a golf school. 

Women definitely get it worse in the swing advise section. Usually these older men see it as their divine right to start commenting on the swing and giving playing advice to a woman in their group, regardless if they know her or not. How many times have I seen the opposite happen during my 25 years playing career in golf, a woman giving advise to a random man? Not once. 😄

I hear ya.  This is why I never give out swing advice.  Even when people ask me for it, I turn them down.  Not because I'm trying to be an a******, but simply, my advice may make their swing worse.  Fitness tips, different story but only if they ask, lol.  I leave all that to the teaching pros who actually make a living teaching golf. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

• 1 year later...

Just seeing this thread since it got bumped, reminded me of a couple recent playing partners:

-The "can never find his own ball guy": doesn't pay close enough attention to where it goes and is way off when looking for it.  You have to walk over and point to exactly where it is.

-The "never sure which club to hit and asks you what you're hitting guy":  like we have identical clubs and swings.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2020 at 7:33 AM, caeye0710 said:

Just venting - I used to play every Saturday and Sunday. Ever since we had our daughter 18 months ago, I'm on the course once, sometimes twice a month at best. Because of that, I tend to cherish my golf time more than I ever have before.

I've been playing with the same two guys for over a decade now. We go out, we have fun, no one gets pissed or complains. What makes it more fun is that each of us are pretty decent sticks.

However, a couple of years ago, they invited a dude to start joining us who is just a disaster. I'll be straight - the guy is an 18 HCP at best, but the ole' foot wedge and miraculously dry ball that you "swear you saw a splash on" ends up being dry helps him deflate his score dramatically.

On top of that, he throws clubs, yells, walks in peoples lines, verbally abuses the staff, and complains all the way through the round (when he doesn't quit after 11 holes).

I've about had it. I feel like I can't say much directly to him because I'm not the one who invited him to the group. The other 2 guys seem more laid back about it, but I haven't mentioned it to them yet.

Since I get to play so little nowadays, do I just keep sucking it up? Do I mention it to them, and just say "I'm going to find a new group to play with because this is unbearable?"

Would hate to drop playing with the guys I've been golfing with since 2007, but I'm about at my wits end.

Not sure if anyone has advice, or if you've ever dealt with a similar situation. It's so bad that we were planning a trip for October to Florida, and when I found out he was going, I backed out (made up some excuse).

cheating I could care less if he isn't taking your money, the other stuff should get him quick hook out of the group, we had somebody throwing clubs and screaming and rooting for others to perform badly. We told him to either shut up or he was out. that worked for a while once in a while he will still do something but he now appologizes at the end of the round and tries to eep himself together, nothing ruins a round like somebody screaming the whole time

I live in Scandinavia and I must say, having played with loads of people, often joining in with unknowns when travelling around(wife don’t play), I very seldom find myself playing with unpleasant people. When I started play in the early  80’s the oldtimers were often grumpy, golf was a litte of a stiff upper lip thing here when they were in their hey days, but nowadays golfers here are pleasant to play with. Sometimes one is paired with a married couple where the guy tries to advice his wife on the fly but thats more amusing than anything else. Play speed is probably the one thing that causes frequent irritation on the golf courses here. People that cannot relax when play is slow primetime on a popular golf course can be somewhat annoying.

Edited by Hankshank

On 11/2/2022 at 12:40 PM, k_rock5 said:

Just seeing this thread since it got bumped, reminded me of a couple recent playing partners:

-The "can never find his own ball guy": doesn't pay close enough attention to where it goes and is way off when looking for it.  You have to walk over and point to exactly where it is.

-The "never sure which club to hit and asks you what you're hitting guy":  like we have identical clubs and swings.

LOL most of the guys that play with me on a regular basis know not to club off of me since I hit those "dammed old antique blades"----

• Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I'm fortunate to mostly play with people from a large but finite group of a) members at my home course b) who play the same times of day I do c) and who are almost universally at least reasonably pleasant to play with. So my bad encounters have necessarily been on rounds at public or resort coruses when I'm away from home.

But even with that caveat, I must either be lucky or very forgiving. If I could managed to remember every time I've either bailed out early on a round to get away from someone I'm paired with or at least seriously considered doing so, it couldn't be more than a dozen times over nearly 30 years, if that. 

When it comes to people talking too much or talking bull hockey constantly, I do a halfway decent job of tuning them out. I'm a little chatterboxy myself so I can't hold that against some rando I get paired up with.

There was one old gaffer I bailed on after about seven or eight holes years ago who wanted to give me "advice" before and then after each and every swing. Like he was some combination of caddie, teaching pro and Bagger Friggin' Vance. I must have been having a bad day because I finally told him, "I know you're trying to help but it's really distracting". He assured me he understood then kept doing exactly the same thing.

Being the wimp that I am I took the chicekn way out and faked receiving a phone call, told him I had to quit the round and go home to deal with something. He literally followed me as I skipped the last couple holes and walked to the parking lot. He was still talking as I got in the car and drove off. It was a pretty surreal experience all around. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ifelloffladder said:

Just played with a guy who cried over every bad shot like he was supposed to be some pro and it was his God given right to hit every shot perfectly. My God it was annoying!

Actually that was me. Sorry about that, man.😪

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Wham49 said:

people in carts who thnk that it is there job to race ahead of you and locate everybodies ball, even in the middle of the fairway, so they can tell you they found it and then, drive around as your swinging to find everybodies second shot, drives me crazy, carts in general do TBH

I do it sometimes if i'm carting and others in my group walk. Just to give them a heads up where their balls are. Now i'm not the vroom vroom guy driving around while people are taking their shot.

8 minutes ago, Ifelloffladder said:

I do it sometimes if i'm carting and others in my group walk. Just to give them a heads up where their balls are. Now i'm not the vroom vroom guy driving around while people are taking their shot.

I dont mind if it is lost, or somewhere where we know it will take some time find, but most of the time, let me get to my ball, worry about yourself 

17 hours ago, Wham49 said:

people in carts who thnk that it is there job to race ahead of you and locate everybodies ball, even in the middle of the fairway, so they can tell you they found it and then, drive around as your swinging to find everybodies second shot, drives me crazy, carts in general do TBH

Had this dude in my group last weekend (I was the only walker).  On the back nine he actually ran over my ball in the middle of the fairway by cutting it too close.  Backed up, reached down, dug the ball out and flipped it a few yards ... right into an unrepaired divot.  Good times. 

Edited by whitemb
  • Haha 4

Where to begin

I play in a group of guys that can range from 4 players to 15 players depending on what day it is and where we are playing.

We have all the types of players you can imagine.

We play a game for $25 a person

Of course we have the guy who never loses his ball

We have the super fast player. The guy who goes "I'm hitting" and hits as you are placing your tee in the ground.

He also likes to take the cart up to the green before you hit your approach shot.

We have the slow player, the guy who takes 5 practice swings, then backs off of his shot then hits, he also looks at the putt from both sides of the cup.

In his defense he is a 3 hcp, but that is no excuse to take 4 and half hours to get around the course.

We have the the rules guy who needs a person following him around with an "quiet please" sign from a tournament.  Then he complains that there was noise every time he hits a bad shot. EVERYTIME.

He was complaining about a truck driving fast through a neighborhood when he was hitting. No one saw or heard the truck but him.

This guy also likes to give lessons on the course so its double trouble.

We have the drunks. One of these guys brings a fifth of Fireball in his bag and almost went through the entire bottle in one round. Almost.  Not to mention the ones that stop at the turn to buy $100 of liquor.

We have the guy who never shuts up.  Always talking about the most worthless information you can possibly imagine.

You can also throw in a few club throwers and that is about it.

They can be aggravating at times but they mean no harm and since my son was born, I seem to be pretty good at blocking out most of their shenanigan's

They are good people but put them on a golf course and something happens to them.

• Like 1

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

38 minutes ago, scott406 said:

Where to begin

I play in a group of guys that can range from 4 players to 15 players depending on what day it is and where we are playing.

We have all the types of players you can imagine.

We play a game for $25 a person

Of course we have the guy who never loses his ball

We have the super fast player. The guy who goes "I'm hitting" and hits as you are placing your tee in the ground.

He also likes to take the cart up to the green before you hit your approach shot.

We have the slow player, the guy who takes 5 practice swings, then backs off of his shot then hits, he also looks at the putt from both sides of the cup.

In his defense he is a 3 hcp, but that is no excuse to take 4 and half hours to get around the course.

We have the the rules guy who needs a person following him around with an "quiet please" sign from a tournament.  Then he complains that there was noise every time he hits a bad shot. EVERYTIME.

He was complaining about a truck driving fast through a neighborhood when he was hitting. No one saw or heard the truck but him.

This guy also likes to give lessons on the course so its double trouble.

We have the drunks. One of these guys brings a fifth of Fireball in his bag and almost went through the entire bottle in one round. Almost.  Not to mention the ones that stop at the turn to buy $100 of liquor.

We have the guy who never shuts up.  Always talking about the most worthless information you can possibly imagine.

You can also throw in a few club throwers and that is about it.

They can be aggravating at times but they mean no harm and since my son was born, I seem to be pretty good at blocking out most of their shenanigan's

They are good people but put them on a golf course and something happens to them.

We have those in our group except the drunk. We have the instructor, the talker, the guy that yells "nice shot" no matter where the ball goes, the complainer, etc.

• Like 1