That one guy you HATE playing with...

caeye0710

For me the one person, or type of person that drives me nuts is the person that joins our group and doesn't respect the dynamic. (we're 3 to 8 ppl, obviously over two groups, so pair-ups happen)

Not playing ready golf/ insists on playing away or honors on tee - just wastes time when it's not neededNot respecting the game the group plays. In brief our group mixes up the games but we allow 1 mulligan a 9 where it must be called in air and play that shot regardless. I've seen a golfer, who when we explained that say that's not golf and start walking straight down the middle to the fairway to prevent one from hitting said mulligan.Doesn't help track balls, this just saves time and is a common courtesy imo.Just to note if I join our group and you play away/honors and whatnot, I'll easily respect and follow that as I am joining your dynamic.

I used to play with a guy like this in a work league.... at first I thought it was just a bad couple rounds..... then it started to bother me so I decided to make jokes of every instance when he would throw a club or have these temper tantrums hoping that he would catch on that we notice and that he looks like a fool. He would even break shafts and say that it's super cheap to fix them. THEN it happened.... I was in a greenside bunker and he was in-between in the rough next to the green. He was so upset that he hit it there that he didn't realize I was out and in the bunker behind him. He went to his ball, flubbed his chip and spun around and threw his club. Thankfully I predicted his reaction and ducked in time for his wedge to just miss my head. That's when I told him that he officially crossed the line and he's done. I gave him quite a few choice words and basically told him he needed to get out of my sight quickly. Needless to say I haven't seen him on a golf course since.

PING G Stretch 3 Wood w/ [color=#000000][b]Project X 6.0[/b][/color] Under Construction
PING G400 3 Wood w/ [color=#0000cd][b]Project X 6.0[/b][/color]
PING G400 19* Hybrid w/ [color=#000000][b]Project X 6.0[/b][/color]
Mizuno 919 Forged 5i w/ Project X 6.0
Mizuno 919 Tour 6i-PW w/ Project X 6.0
PING Glide Stealth 2.0 - bent to 51*, 55*, 59* [color=#008000][b]Dot[/b][/color] w/ Project X 6.0
Odyssey Double Wide Flow neck

Tell the guy straight up he's not welcome. It's as simple as that. It happened to me right around 2004. One of our guys dropped out of the rotation and another guy joined us. Only one guy in our group "somewhat" knew him. About three weeks after he started playing with us, we crossed paths leaving the clubhouse. I walked over to him as he was getting into his car. I told him point-blank, "you're out, find another group of guys to play with. I am not explaining myself", and I walked away. He hooked up with another group. Life is too short.

• Like 1

I’ve played a decent amount of client golf in my day, so I know the drill. One time several years back, though, a group of us played with a client in our foursome (and there were 3 other foursomes from our party out there all competing against each other). This client, though, was a decent golfer. I’m guessing if he kept an honest handicap it was probably between 7 and 10 (he professed to be near scratch when we teed off).

But the trouble was that he didn’t keep an honest handicap at all. He was a bit goofy and a braggart. And he would give himself putts of virtually any length necessary to salvage his par. Sometimes he would even hit the putt, miss it, but declare something like “I would have made that if that bird hadn’t flown by, give me a 4”. He would miss 18 foot birdie putts that would run 5 feet by and just rake the comebacker back toward himself and if it didn’t go in he would count it anyway.

I started getting super annoyed at him, but bit my tongue until we got to the 9th hole. On this hole, he hits his drive way left into the woods, drops a ball where he thought he would have found it, punches out, hits next shot onto green, and “two putts”. He then declares “darn, give me a 5” as he rakes the second putt back to himself (and missed). Even if we had been playing stroke and distance and allowed a drop and gave him the comebacker, he would have had a 6. In reality, it should have been an 8 or worse. I had enough. I said “5, how in the hell do you make a 5 with a lost ball and a 2-putt?” He goes “I punched out and then got up and down in 3 from there”. I said “OK, whatever makes you feel comfortable. But I thought I saw you drop a ball in the woods, and you never even holed the putt”. A few holes later he apologizes and says “You know what, you are right. I feel bad back there on 9. I should have had a 6”. I said “OK, thanks man. No big deal. Whatever you feel comfortable with”.

He also stopped raking all the missed putts back at that point too. So he knew what he was doing, but was doing it anyway and claiming to be scratch. So annoying!

Had a nightmare of a guy join us 2 weeks back

constant chew spittinghighly agitated and moving around constantly .. never settledwanting to give advice on swings and reads (a 30 cap to a 2 cap)never shut upasked for advicehis clubs matched his ball which matched his shoes and his socks and his belt and his hat and his headcovers, it was all mismatched lime green all the time baby. I think he had Grenade golf stuff based on lime, I kid you not

The starter said oh you are playing with XXX, you won't need to say a word for 4 hours. WE WERE WARNED

I think the guy was actually an OK person …. but even after years and YEARS of golfing he had no idea what constituted proper behaviour on a golf course

If you are a member at a course and have no regular playing partners and are always try to join others, step back and realize that YOU are the problem

After 18 he asked for advice again and I told him a few things he could work on and he said "well we could have a long debate on that" … and I said "or you could just listen for once". The guy is playing with a guy that shoots under par, while he shoots 100, he knows I played college golf and still wants to debate swing instruction. It was a crazy morning to say the least. My bud was impressed that I never lost my patience. You can't make this stuff up

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Really can't stand the guys who have to get hammered to play, resulting in them getting angry and throwing stuff around.

But the worst for me was getting paired with a guy (that was my little league baseball coach when I was a kid) for a 4-man 4 team friendly scramble. Learned that he was a "Born Again Christian" who spent most of his 20's running meth and prison time.

At this point I had only been playing for about 8 months.

He was complaining about how bad I was to another group. He was also shooting last in our group, ya know because he is 'The Man'. We rarely used his shots. He would try and cut corners across the holes and use his macho-man power which always came up short. We actually used my chips quite often.

It came down to the last hole, we had a roughly 20 foot putt, slightly uphill and right to left, to go into a 3-team playoff. Our other 2 guys went first and were way off. Superman stepped up and pushed it hard right and short. I get up, and send it no more than 1 inch right beside the hole!

He continued to gripe and complain.

The bad part is we have mutual friends who we all golf with from time to time but I will never partner with him again. Such an ass.

Nah...I disagree. The vast majority of people I play golf with are enjoyable company.

If you want to see a real metamorphosis, just place someone behind the wheel of an automobile...lol!

• Like 1

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I think there are a lot of golfers that want to be the A player know it all in their foursome. They get quite flummoxed when they are not and act like morons

It's the old expression you really get to know a person after 4 hours with them on a golf course

I know some really nice guys that I will not play golf with, they are Jekyll and Hyde personalities.

Two of the worst:

Mr. Temper (my boss back in the day had to duck under a helicoptered wedge) .. this guy has been cut off since 2006. And

Mr. Discombobulated … walks thru lines, talks at wrong times, loses stuff, never ready on the tee, always moving, moving slowly between shots, doesn't know what ready golf is, tells stories before hitting and not while walking, rules abuser, etc etc

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

We had an "assign blame" guy in our foursome for a while. He was hot and cold from the bunkers. We will call him Raymond.

A good sand shot would produce, "hey, check that out."

A poor bunker shot, " effin' footprints - no one rakes bunkers."

One day he was not having a very good day and put one in the bunker from the tee, difficult par 3 hole. I walked adjacent to the bunker as he entered while taking his stance.

I said," no footprints."

My other buddy on the opposite side of the bunker followed my lead saying, "got a witness."

Raymond then took three to get out stating, "there is no sand in these traps."

• Like 1

I think there is a lot inherent in golf whether you are playing alone or with others, with family or with strangers, that reveals who you are. Good, not the best, whatever. So many situations that it really is to me a pretty good indicator - play with someone a few times and I think you really will know them pretty well, and they you.

• Like 1

People who blame members of the course staff for stealing their equipment only to find out they left said equipment in the car and complain about it the entire round like what @TIM929 and I experienced a couple weeks ago

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

played at one of @AG12 regular courses, super fun track. Another round scheduled for next Saturday, pumped(Hopefully corona won’t effect it, the virus and not the beer).
get to the first tee and meet another pair so It’s a 4 some, great right? .. first thing shared, our new friend was at the putting green and some staff member went up to his bag and stole his ranger finder while he was practicing putting or something. Swore by his range finder case, the most secure case on earth and theft would be the only logical reason for this missing range finder. Even demonstrated how secure his case was.
Felt bad for the guy, every one hates thieves with a passion and range finders are pretty expensive. I felt his pain. He went on about thieves and I was a bit scared some one might break in my car and steal the extra gear and putter I keep in the trunk.
Then he swore if it wasn’t a staff member, it was someone in the 5 some in front of us. I slightly glanced over excepting to see a pack of thugs, but it was five 70-80 year old Sr. Citizen males... Ummmmm ok, are you sure? (In my mind).
he then said if not them, for sure it’s the 5 some in front of them. I looked expecting to see some rugged law breakers and there stood five 70 - 80 year old ladies(and they were dressed like old ladies).

wait what? Is this real?

then @AG12 called it, said he probably lost it himself blaming others.

finished the round, in the parking lot and @AG12 and I are in a deep discussion about putters. The friend of the lost range finder pulls up and says “ his range finder was in the trunk” while laughing and nods his head no.

wow...

Straight comedy bro!

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

The passive-aggressive golfer. Example:

Me: 3 putt from 2 feet

Them, immediately: "You know... I just thought of this great putting drill that I did the other day" OR "My coach is looking for new students, want his information?"

WITB / Oct ‘23

Driver: PXG Proto - Tour AD IZ 6X

Fairway: Taylormade V-Steel T/S

Hybrid: Taylormade GAPR Mid 19*

Irons: Hogan Apex FTX 6, 8, P

Wedges: Vokey SM7 50*, Jaws Raw 56*

Putter: Bettinardi QB6

Threads like this make me appreciate the fact I dont play a lot of casual golf. The only people I play with consistently is whoever ends up being my partner in my after work leagues. My weekend golf is usually multi-group money games or tournaments. For the former, I am stuck now with having to be a captain in the money games so I get to pick who I play with and try to avoid certain players if I can help it.

The types of guys that I cant really stand when playing are the guys that try to be the pep talk/cheerleaders when I'm struggling. Especially when they're completely asinine comments. I might have bit of RBF when I;m thinking about things but Im not about to jump off the ledge.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

' have a workbook with approximately 35 connected spreadsheets and generally it takes 4-5 hours to prepare everything and another 3 hours post event with all the machinations of scores, skins, par 3s, etc.'

Have you ever considered learning to use a database program instead of spreadsheets? The learning curve can be a little stiff but man would it seem to save you a ton of time... eventually.

• Like 1

As far as the topic, it's anyone who tries to give advice. If advice isn't requested, please don't interject.

Your database vs. spreadsheet sent me into wayback mode. You must be (have been) in IT in some regard to make that statement. Loved it. Started in the dBase, 1-2-3 era. Best application/interface I came up with was in Access (though not golf-related).