That one guy you HATE playing with...

caeye0710

I play in a fair number of men's clubs tournaments at my course and most of the golfers there are really good to golf with and know the rules pretty well and play along nicely. There is one guy though that I have caught shaving strokes on several holes every round that I have golfed with him. After I go shot by shot on the hole because I was paying attention to his game he will admit that his five was actually a seven and we move on. Anyway one time we were playing in a four man team format of some sort and I was across the fairway from him and another guy in our group and I could here him say "Hey we should get our heads together on the score card." then he said something about another group cheating and then he said that I was too honest... Yikes. This same guy is Mr. Angry at himself when does not play well also. Anytime he finishes in the money in a tournament I kinda have my doubts about it...

I don't know what drives some people to feel that they have to win every time out. Maybe narcissistic or something?

#1 has to be Cheaters who act like they are playing by the rules. No problem with foot wedges in casual rounds or getting an extra practice shot in etc., but if money is on the line, you can’t cheat. You are cheating everyone who betted.

#2 casual round where I let you re-shoot a duffed shot and then at the end of the round you proclaim you beat me even though I never took mulligans and you certainly didn’t count it three off the tee.

#3 people who try to be tiger and get locked in like it’s a tour event. I play competitively, I focus, but after the shot, enjoy playing with whoever is in your group. Congratulate them on good shots, encourage them, help find their ball, etc.

#4 slow players. Don’t stand over the ball for 5 minutes. Be ready to shoot. Be ready to putt. Start your pre shot feels when you get to the ball so you are ready to go when it’s your turn to hit. If you are hitting shot 8, pick up the ball to not slow play, etc.

#5 anyone who pulls out the ball extended to fetch balls from the water.

• Like 1

Tomorrow I'm paired with TOGYHPW at one of our events. We're in the first foursome and I've already warned the guys behind to be patient. Two Saturday's ago, playing in 2 somes with 15 minute intervals, he was 2 groups behind us and finished nearly an hour after we did. We were on a parallel hole and watched him look for a ball for at least 10 minutes. Will also need to keep track of his card as he has a tendency to forget 1-3 strokes per hole.

Should be fun!

Did he find the ball to play his first stroke on that hole?

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

-Guy who realistically averages 110 strokes but doesn't count all of his strokes even though he claims he does. And then tells you all day about how he's having a pretty good round and if he just pars the last few holes he will break 90

-Guy who expects you to give him a yardage and club recommendation on every shot just because you're better than him. That doesn't mean I want to be your caddie. I want to play my own game as well.

• Like 1

Before sharing a couple of "highlights" of yesterday's round, there are no guys who are better to play with other than Hawkeye and DSS. Great golfers and even better people!

The magic yesterday with TOGYHPW started on hole two which is a shortish par 3 around 150. TOG basically flared his tee shot right into the rough about 50 yards short of the green. Instead of walking to his ball to play the second shot, he walked up the left side of the fairway to the green with 2 of the guys in the group. After a minute he started walking to the right but had no idea of where his ball was. He parked his cart, went past the green to start looking without a club and after I realized he didn't know where his ball was went and pointed it out. He walked to the ball without his cart or a club and then walked back to get a club. 3 shots later he was on the green.

Fast forward to the 9th hole a par 5 with a 175 carry off the tee and the hole played into the wind. His drive didn't make it over so he went to the drop area, proceeded to top the ball 3 times, hit his next shot into a bunker, tried to play a 3 wood from a terrible lie, hit it into the next bunker, hit a wedge out, then a decent hybrid and from about 30 yards off the green, pulls out his rangefinder, skulls a wedge and 3 putts. On his scorecard, he wrote down a 10.

That started a stretch of 4 of 5 holes with a ten written on the scorecard when there were more shots than that.

On 15 after pulling his drive left into the junk and then chipping out, he's hitting a hybrid to the green and I'm standing 50 yards in front of him and 30 yards left of him. You know where this is going. He hits a laser directly at me and probably missed by less than 10 feet. After hitting a couple more shots in the junk, he puts his ball in his pocket but that's not the end of his work. I have a 3 foot putt and he shouts out to another player just as I'm about hit hit the ball. I missed but honestly, that was on me.

We started to get down poured on but pressed on, well, 3 of us did. TOG didn't tee off on 16 but walked up the fairway with VNutz, who BTW, drove a par 4, made the eagle putt and then birdied the next hole too, and after VNutz hit his second shot, TOG kept walking and left the course, didn't say a word to anyone, got in his car and drove off. He later texted his scorecard and said "his back went out."

The one last comment is he doesn't understand the social distancing directive provided by the State of IL frequently standing direct next to someone, walking within a foot or two, etc.

But all in all, a fun day, the mental approach of playing my own game and not letting anyone impact my attitude worked, for a change.

There has only been 1 year when he played in the final group in the final round with a small chance to win and think he shot something like 125 that day. Currently, he sits in 12th of 14 guys and his average points per round is 7 points less than the next person. Not seeing him as a threat in the competition other than the potential of being killed by a wary shot.

I generally prefer playing by myself to try to get better, relax, enjoy the nature on the course, etc..

The times I have played with people - it's the guy who is prepping his iron shot (usually 2nd or 3rd shot) who moves the ball around with his iron to improve his lie so it is fluffy on the grass like being teed up. Play the lie you got.

The guy who thinks every round is Sunday at the Masters, counts every shot, walks deliberately to his ball and has to make sure all is aligned and okay before hitting his ball. Never give him that 6" putt either and always plays in turn.

You know too he's steaming if you don't play by the rules (i.e. hit a second putt or such) or walk ahead to your ball either.

When he plays a round in under 4:00 (3:55) comments "Boy that was a quick round".

He's the guy who doesn't realize it's just a game......

• Like 1

Man, God forbid someone plays by the rules, counts every shot, and finishes 18 in under 4 hours...lol! WTF?

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I don't understand why some people let certain people in their groups misbehave with etiquette for so long and so often. You might say that they are your friends and you don't want to cause a rift, or the likes, in your relationship. I think a person can get a point across without too much trouble. If the person doesn't listen I just wouldn't enjoy playing with them anymore. I have an individual who I golfed with for a few years and I just couldn't stand his constant complaining about everything. He would also leave his cell phone on notifications which he got a lot and things like that. Now I just don't play golf with him very often and move on to other friends to play golf with. Some people just don't seem to learn or don't care to change, but that is their own undoing.

This is hands down the most absurd story of TOGYHPW I've ever heard and I almost couldn't make it up if you asked me to make up the most ridiculous hypothetical I could think of lol. Sounds terrible. Good for you to exhibit that much patience. I get on my one friend who plays somewhat like that, light heartedly of course, but enough for him to get the point.

• Like 1

Playing with someone who irritates you is like wasting a day of your life. Some days I can deal with it but on my 'bad' days, I don't deal with it very well. We have a large group and occasionally I draw this multi millionaire who is rather outspoken and snarky to me b/c, as he says, I win 'more' than my share of QUARTERS. In my life, I've found rich guys are the worse.