2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

That one guy you HATE playing with...

caeye0710

That’s just never bothered me. I know it’s an etiquette thing and I never walk through lines for that reason. But in practicality, think about the groups prior that have likely walked through earlier. I have never felt like I missed a putt because someone walked through.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 Speeder 661 Evolution IV X
Cobra Big Tour 13.5 3 wood Ventus Blue 7 X
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 5 wood @ 17.5 Ventus Blue 8 X
Titleist TS3 21 degree hybrid @ 20 Atmos TS Blue HB 8 X
Ping i210 5-9 Power Spec Steelfiber i110 S hardstepped
Ping Glide 2 Stealth SS 45, 50, 55, 60 KBS 610 Wedge 120 S
Ping Sigma G Ketch B

One guy I play with walks on my line and other players' lines occasionally. I mentioned it to him once by just saying something like "if you're playing in a serious game, be careful not to do that", but as we're not playing serious golf, it doesn't bother me either. He has got better about it as well, so it doesn't happen anywhere near as often as it used to. Sometimes, he just forgets to look. He started the game late in life, and no one ever told him not to do it.

Going back to why it doesn't bother me, if the greens are firm, I don't think the footprint leaves much of an impression anyway. Back in the days of metal spikes, it made a difference, but not now, unless the ground is really soft. And even then, with my putting, I've got far more problems than worrying about a footprint

I guess the one time I would be bothered is if I had a short putt and the ground was soft enough to leave a footprint.

Mikey, in case your post is directed this way, please let me share a few things. Things have been rough with TOG and me for a few years. I called him up and we played a round together last summer and I asked him if I could be brutally honest with him about the things he's doing/not doing in terms of etiquette. He actually was open to the thoughts. At least 2 other guys have had separate conversations with him but the sad reality is he just doesn't pay attention to what is going on and from knowing where his ball goes to walking on someone's line he just doesn't want to get it. His lack of correct scoring isn't intentional IMHO, it's just the lack of awareness. Our group is generally one of the most thoughtful group I've ever played with and other than the momentary slip up, we have no issues.

With him being on the DL, I'm, wondering if he's actually going to come back this year or if his back will be the perfect excuse to stop playing with us. Only time will tell.

When I was young, I played frequently with older members. If I, or anyone, committed a breach of etiquette, those old forts let you know, right then, with no possible misunderstanding. Etiquette can be corrected. I played in tournaments a few times with a guy who was an excellent player, about as good a ball striker as I've seen, apart from the truly elite players. But .... every shot was a drama. What club to hit, what shot to play, throw grass, consider earth rotation, moon phase, everything. Endless, and if the shot went off not as planned, full on pout, throw the club, blame something, kick the bag, so slow that he would jam up the whole field. I was told that he was not welcomed into any regular group at his home course where his father was a founding member. Much to the relief of all golfers in our area, he gave up golf and took up team roping. He could not be fixed, and people tried from time to time.

I've played in groups where there was a wide discrepancy in ability. So John and I, being the better players, would give strokes to different individuals on different holes. After a while these guys would tell US what holes they were getting strokes on. One day John said, DAMMIT , IF I'M GIVING STROKES , I'M GOING TO BE THE ONE TO GIVE THE STROKES. It was funny b/c of the way he forcefully said it and everyone got the point.

The high handicapper, or low, who takes 6+ practices swings, then backs off, starts over, then duffs it.....funny part is, most of the time, their first swing was their best.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

This Karen, as us kids call them, was the group behind us Friday, and I'd never wish it in anyone's groups ever no matter how I like or dislike that person.

Encounter 1: the proshop - She walked in with just a head of me so I was waiting in line to pay for my tee time. This is a semi private course and if you live in certain communities around it you get a discount on tee times. She says she's part of one and the adult working the counter asked which one, she answered, and the guy looked it up and said that community is not part of the membership. She immediately, raises her voice demanding to speak to the general manager and throws her license across the table at him.

Encounter 2: Hole 10 - So she was in the group behind us and it was a slow day on the course our group was pushing the group ahead but they were waiting on groups ahead of them. We roll up to 10 as the previous group is teeing off, and her group comes in right behind. now this is a 380 yard par 4, and she's talking loudly enough for us to hear saying we can hit, it's not like we're that good when the other group is at the 150 stake. I get up to hit and go right into the water and she sighs loudly as I get to the cart.

Encounter 3 : Hole 18 - Last hole another par 4 and a trick one with a almost complete peninsula green and water up the whole right side. I think one guy was on in 2, me in , and one guy was higher due to the water. So he's chipping up when this person hits there shot that role 5ft shot of us on the green. I of course turn around and raise my hand in the air in a familiar symbol.

Encounter 4: The parking lot - so I'm putting the clubs in the car and decides to drive by to heckle and say we suck at golf, an were slow. In fairness it was a 4:45 round but except 1 hole I can remember our group was always waiting on the tee and to the green approach.

Side note: I lost my sand wedge that day I think on 18, went back to the course Sunday, no one turned it in. I'd bet my salary that the C$%* stole it.

The guy who takes absolutely forever to do anything on the course. I got paired with a couple of guys once where one of them would take a day and a 1/2 to line up his ball for a putt with the line drawn on the ball. Finally, on the 7th green after he had placed and moved and placed and moved and placed and moved his ball, his buddy says, "do that a few more times and it'll be in the hole." The guy gets all mad, misses his 3 foot putt and storms off the green to the next tee as me and his buddy share a grin. On the next tee the guy is furious at his buddy for questioning his integrity like that. Oh yeah, I also can't stand guys who can't take a joke.

I couldn’t agree with you more. I understand if you were lining up your putt and i just stroll through like some donkey but i never get upset if someone walks through when it’s not my turn. HUNDREDS of people have walked through your line over a few days. Someone walking through your line isn’t why you yipped out that 3 footer lol

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

In all honesty all golfers respect other people's putting line from amateurs all the way up to the best in the world, the pros. They do it for a reason because it can affect a person's putt. Also, if you want to get into somebody's head just step in their line. Sure, hundreds of people have walked on those greens but that was in time past and the impression that has occurred has repaired itself. I would say that in the 99 percentile golfers respect other people's putting line, and rightfully so

Yeah, nah. It doesn’t really though, does it?

Sure, it can mentally cause someone to miss but in reality it’s not going to affect the roll of the putt. Assuming you’re not wearing nails or dragging your hooves.

That being said. I still respect that it freaks people out so I don’t do it. But, if someone accidentally crosses my line I don’t even blink.

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

Maybe not the thing that irks me the most, but I am always bothered when I'm playing with someone who is always looking for their ball 50 yards past where I know it is. Combine it with someone who has bad long distance vision and you're in for a long day, especially if you're in the same cart but not driving...

For me, it's intentionally slow guy...... Not slow because you're not very good (i'm not challenging for any course records personally) - but just slow..... Never has the club ready. Lights up a smoke when he's ready. On the phone when it's his/her turn.

I have patience for days for someone who isn't good, so they take a bazillion shots.....But, come on..... I dont want to spend 6 hours on the stinking course.

Played with a 3PSPS* guy yesterday. I quit after 12 holes.

3PSPS = 3 practice swings per shot. He probably shot about 60 on the front, so that means he took about 180 swings. He did it before every chilidip and every putt too. . .

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

Solo, I played in a tournament with a guy who took 4 practice swings before every shot, no matter how long or short. Not casual swish back and forth swings, but full on swings with all the pre-shot rituals. We got to about 13, he had a putt you would have to work at to miss. The other three in the group were watching in a dazed fog, when one shouted "just hit the freaking thing". He was startled, so he started over.

My usual playing partner likes to talk politics. Our views are quite different, and it can create a bit of tension. Sometimes, I don't even respond to his comments. He is the club champ, and today, he did something I couldn't believe. Because of the virus, there are no bunker rakes, and we are allowed to move the ball out of footprints. Today,he had a fried egg. I asked him if he wanted some bacon to go along with that egg. He said, "It's a good thing we can move the ball in the bunker," and moved his ball to a good lie. We were not playing for anything, but I couldn't believe it. I felt like the rule was there to get relief from footprints, and not a lie like a fried egg. I ended up beating him, anyway.

Ran into one (actually a pair) of those guys last Sunday morning. 3rd group off the box on Sunday AM, got a 2 some added to our time as our regulars were out of town.

We played the Blue tees, this twosome should have been playing the Whites, but whatever makes them happy.

Long story short, neither broke 100 maybe even 120, yet insisted on chasing every shot, marking every putt (even one footers we said 'good'), etc. The one guy says, I don't play much (like we couldn't tell). Took us over 4 hours, where our normal group takes about 3 to 3:15, held up groups behind us. They played "net triple max" whatever that is, but played until holed even if for a 12.

Frustrating when newbs should be playing twilight or at a much easier course.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

Golf shoe/spike/cleat marks can definitely affect putts...

If you play on soft greens, a heavyish person can leave visually noticeably imprints. Putting through a fresh imprint definitely causes the ball to move. I've tried it.

A tiny bobble or re-direction can make the difference between a make and a miss.

Didn't the recent rule change give the pros the ability to tap down spike marks? I don't think they made that rule change just for mental/visual reasons. And that is from marks made by prior groups, let alone someone in their own group!