Trying Blades

deanomag

Nobody is pissed. These threads exist because double digit HC players are constantly seeking validation for something. Of course someone may play better with blades and shoot 88 instead of 94 but that’s no reason to tout something that undoubtedly requires perfect contact to be played by even the best. If you came on here saying you’ve shot 5 rounds consecutive under par since switching to blades there would be nothing but kudos.

Well I am touting because it’s my performance? 6 shots better I’d say that plenty to tout about ! You are pissed let’s not lie .. I hit a quite few shots away from the sweet spot as expected and the misses are really not like you make out need to be perfect to play them no you don’t ! I’m certainly not perfect but I don’t hit them well and my miss dispersion is better than my old clubs holy smokes Batman !

I would say shooting under par or very close to it is pretty significant and hitting the middle of the face is absolutely paramount. Celebrate whatever reduction you want but if it still averages out to being a double digit HC then I’m not sure what exactly there is to celebrate. It definitely shouldn’t be an iron that’s admittedly mishit frequently that requires absolute perfect contact to be beneficial.

Oh I can’t ignore those comments they are too much fun !

Thanks though and I will 100 percent they are in the bag for now,was surprised how nice they feel ! Mishits hurt the fingers a little though but again it’s more feedback. Old clubs and they suit me and play better than the new £700 ones poxy marketing lol

"What is the biggest factor that causes a golfer to be a double digit HC?"

For a 10, IMO, it could be almost any part of the game. He may drive it well and strike the irons poorly, or maybe the short game is wanting.

Or he could drive it poorly and strike his irons reasonably well but not hit enough greens and again, the short game may be poor.

Or he's not hitting anything much in the center of the face but has a pretty good short game. At around 10, it could be most anything.

Just my personal POV.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Agreed.

All one has to do to be a "player" is get their ball to their intended target with regularity - the more often the better of course. LOL

Titleist Pro V1X

"Blades are not as hard to hit as you make them out to be."

... I don't think anyone really thinks MB's are "hard to hit", they are just more punishing when you mishit them. My Z Forged are not any harder to hit than my P790's. But like every golfer, I have good days and bad days. On my good days there is virtually no difference in my GIR's or score using my ZF's or 790's, but on my bad days the 790's really help with my mishits and can most definitely make a difference in my GIR's and score, which is why I chose to play them. There is only one way to make birdies consistently and that is hitting your irons close to the pin and making the putt. Many low index and scratch players figure this out on their journey and find the irons that not only reward their best swings, but do not punish their worst swings too severely. For some that is a SGI/GI, some a players iron, and for a select few MB's. And while there are more than a few high swing speed WRX members, most golfers have a game that resembles the best players on the LPGA, not the PGA. It is extremely rare to see any MB's on the LPGA where birdies are necessary to make a living. If MB's were more accurate than CB's every single player on the LPGA as well as the Champions Tour would be playing them.

... The one thing that always seem to get these threads off the rails other than the trolling which the OP is obviously doing by his tone, is MB's will make you a better ball striker or lower your index. Repeatable good swings, solid contact and ball control make you a better ball striker and lower your scores, and you can do that with a full set of hybrids.

... The bottom line is MB's are fun to use. Anyone that wants to play them for any reason at all, should play them. Duh 101. But repeating myself, just don't pi$$ on my leg and tell me it is raining. This is the only golf forum that tells mid/high index players they should play MB's because MB's will make you better. That is as reckless and ignorant a statement as playing SGI's will make you better. Along with practice and lessons, irons that give you the best combination of spin, trajectory, accuracy and forgiveness will help you play better and lower your scores and for most that isn't MB's or SGI's but something in between.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

The way BiggErn make it seem that blades are some magical irons that only the best can play. That may be his experience, but it’s not true for everyone.

I think what we miss here, is it may not be the blade that makes the golfer better, but the fact the blade make the player practice more, because they want to go hit hit them. While at the course they work on other aspects of their game and become a better golfer. I know that happened to me when I found a set of MP-68’s. I loved the looks of these clubs and I would go play and to the range to figure out how to them well consistently. It was rough to start, but I figured it out. I went from a 28 HC down to an 11. During this time I also worked on chipping, putting, and tee shots, but the blades got me to the course, then I realized (with some help) that I needed to work on other parts of my game. I was never told I should not play blades, I was encouraged and told to work on all aspects of my game and that’s what I did.

The op’s get upset and start to troll due to all the negativity surrounding them using blades as a high HC. All they are trying to do is celebrate with other golfer on a golf forum their success and they are met such negative comments and their enthusiasm wanes.

It all comes down to the strike. If you can hit it near the center of the face of the iron, then you can play anything. However, if you are prone to toe hits or lower on the face of the iron, blades will lose a great deal of distance. I don't think blades perform that great out of rough either. Mishitting a blade is also very unpleasant. When I started playing it was either some blade design or Ping Eye2 irons. Then Callaway came along and there original super game improvement stuff.

The modern blade is better than the blades back in the 80's or before, but they are still a blade. Those Hogan blades were about as demanding as they come. Nothing feels as satisfying as a well struck blade, however. Hey, you only live once. Go for it. We learn by trial and error.

• Like 1

“The op’s get upset and start to troll due to all the negativity surrounding them using blades as a high HC. All they are trying to do is celebrate with other golfer on a golf forum their success and they are met such negative comments and their enthusiasm wanes.“

cheers mate well said !

i ain’t gona roll over and let someone talk down to me when there’s no need for it. My tone lol you get what you give be nice I’ll be nice !

unless you have something constructive to say don’t bother !

constructive criticism is welcome but some people just are plain negative, I don’t put up with them people in my life so im certainly not gona put up with it on here especially when they talk waffle.

I have played Game Improvement, Players, Player's Distance and Blades. My scores have stayed the same ~3 HC regardless of which club I use. I prefer the look and feel of blades so that's why I will continue to play them.

• Like 1

10.5˚ TaylorMade Stealth Plus

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

4-PW Titleist T100s Black

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS

"I think what we miss here, is it may not be the blade that makes the golfer better, but the fact the blade make the player practice more, because they want to go hit hit them. While at the course they work on other aspects of their game and become a better golfer. I know that happened to me when I found a set of MP-68’s. I loved the looks of these clubs and I would go play and to the range to figure out how to them well consistently. It was rough to start, but I figured it out. I went from a 28 HC down to an 11. During this time I also worked on chipping, putting, and tee shots, but the blades got me to the course, then I realized (with some help) that I needed to work on other parts of my game. I was never told I should not play blades, I was encouraged and told to work on all aspects of my game and that’s what I did."

... Good point Golf4lifer. IF MB's make you want to practice more, that is always a good thing. But the truth is you can put in more practice with any iron and get better, but I get your point and if MB's force you to practice more that is definitely a positive. But again, as someone that taught for 5 years I know practicing with any iron makes you better. And most of my students did better with more forgiving irons because it gave them positive feedback when they are struggling with new swing mechanics. I would guess about 1/2 of my students that played MB's were good enough to play them. The other half played MB's for their ego and I would show them how much better they would play with a players iron or even GI thru drills and hitting shots to different distances at different angles proving how much better their mishits were with a more forging iron.

... Trolling is trolling and very different from just a disagreement in philosophy. Once you start name calling when you have been playing 2 years, yet having all the lingo down, is trolling. And congrats on going from a 28 to an 11, that is quite an accomplishment!

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Take it from someone who idolizes blades...play what is best for you and your GOALS.

I switched to blades around a 7cap with the same thoughts ("blades will make me a better ball striker" "blades will help me work the ball more" etc...). They DID. However, I improved because I was forced to practice a lot more just to be able to play the blades..

I now hover around a scratch handicap. It's at the point where a couple iron shots can make or break my whole round. My goals have changed during this process, if I can play a slightly more forgiving iron with great distance control then I will switch without hesitation. My Arccos stats say that my biggest iron miss is short (12%)... most of the time from slight mis-hits with the blades.

Did blades improve my game? Yes and no. They inspired me to get out and practice more, work the ball, and improve my iron play. But, I know they used to cost me shots during a round (still do).

• Like 1

I can only speak for me, but the irons I had before the MP68’s, Callaway’s I think, did not make me want to practice. I just played golf when I could.

I liked the look and feel of those MP68’s so I wanted to use them. Same could be said for the G700 or whatever irons someone else plays. Different things spur passion in us.

Thank you!

I don’t think I was good enough for blades when this process started. As a matter of fact, I didn’t know the difference between iron heads and I bought what looked good to me. Once I got them I was determined to play them. Might sound crazy/magical to some, but it is what it is. These clubs made me fall in love with golf as a whole. Gave me the passion I have for golf till this day.

Eloquently stated and I generally agree with all of what you wrote. I personally know my missed shots are better with my current GI irons over blades. I’ve played both and I’ve seen the difference. However, it could just be that my current GI iron shafts and weighting are a better fit for me, so that would lend credence to everything you wrote. Full circle...and mind blown.

Yeah, I'd have to agree.

Equipment motivates one to practice and play ?

Personally I don't see it. It's the love of the game and the competitive aspect that makes me want to practice and play. And the tools that help me make the lowest score are the right ones.

I'm motivated by wanting to make my best score and beat my opponents. Certainly not by a beautiful piece of equipment. The Mona Lisa never made me want to paint. LMAO

But whatever works is the right thing to do. Different strokes and all.

Titleist Pro V1X

I like blades. Clean lines, classic. Like a pressed, non-button down collar, white shirt worn with a dark suit. Sharp, says ZZ. 

Grew up playing blades. All there was. Set had a 2-iron. Always dreaded being at the 2-iron distance. At times my next shot was at the, say, 4-iron distance (or the 2-iron distance with another ball). Blades. Ball could fly like an eagle, sang the singer, and they could fly like, you really don't want to know. Never found a hole quick enough not to be noticed on those, let's say, (common) less than stellar shots. It was the best of times and the worst of times, kind of like high school English class.

Yep, I was a bi-polar golfer. DSM certified. Wanted to be well, but such meant no baseball, reading, photography, camping, women, goodness more interests than time or money or ability to keep things on the downlow.

To be good. Just golf. No, sorry, not me. 

Same interest today and more, except the women part. Just woman and that takes a lot of time. If women, no woman, and no amount of golf (or women) could make up for that. And if no woman now due to women then no money for golf or just about anything else.

Alas, someone along the way invented a pill for my condition and I have been overall feeling better ever since on the course. Cavity-back clubs. Can't do as much with 'em as blades. Highs not as high, but lows not nearly as low, but with 'em I can more consistently play decent (an eye of the beholder thing) golf and still enjoy doing other things, too. 

Blades are indeed more versatile than cavity-backs and to use them well it takes steady involvement with them. I play blades; but for me its called life, and to enjoy a wide array of activities, my preference, for what they do for me and me with them for and with others, I play cavity backs on the course. For me my course cavitiy-backs contribute to a fuller, versatile, more enjoyable existence, the blade I prefer. 

Now some, many, do play blades on the course and have a bladeful life, too. As it should be!

Old Cuss

OldCussMade 1-LW