Mizuno JPX Line

Played golf with my buddy yesterday and he has the  919 HM pros with the LZ 125 gram shafts. I was super impressed with that club!  The feel was very soft and I hit a few off the toe that went forever. Will definitely demo the 921 HMpro on Tuesday along with the forged now that I have tasted their forgiveness.  Much easier to hit than my 900s and I have always considered the 900 forged to be a forgiving iron.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, reider69 said:

Played golf with my buddy yesterday and he has the  919 HM pros with the LZ 125 gram shafts. I was super impressed with that club!  The feel was very soft and I hit a few off the toe that went forever. Will definitely demo the 921 HMpro on Tuesday along with the forged now that I have tasted their forgiveness.  Much easier to hit than my 900s and I have always considered the 900 forged to be a forgiving iron.

Love hearing about the comparisons with previous Mizunos. Report back on how Tuesday goes!

5 hours ago, reider69 said:

Thanks for this. Been thinking a lot about these two models myself--been playing 900F for two years and love them. Had a short tryst with some HMBs but they're not the one. It will be between 921 HMP and 921 F.

Edited by thesamwise

Had the opportunity to compare the 921 tour 7 iron to my 919 tour 7 iron on the range today 

Feel is obviously subjective but it was hard to distinguish between the two.  Performance on the face of it was similar but I wasn't using a launch monitor to test, there may well be performance differences that I couldnt see

The 921 tours have a slightly different look.  At address the face is smaller from heel to toe, you probably have a millimetre or two less face when compared to the 919s. 

I didnt notice a huge difference in offset but I have weaker lofts in my 919s so hard to compare 

The 921 tours also have slightly squarer lines comparered to the more rounded lines of the 919s.  The 921s actually reminded me quite a lot of my Titleist 718 cbs at address and this is a good thing. 

The 921s are probably more up my street looks wise, impressive iron

• Like 2

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

On 8/27/2020 at 12:05 PM, ski350 said:

Does anyone know if there’s an upcharge for graphite in the standard Hot Metal?

Only upcharge from last year is on Aerotech Steelfiber. Recoils had no upcharge

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

37 minutes ago, SwingMan said:

Only upcharge from last year is on Aerotech Steelfiber. Recoils had no upcharge

wondering how much difference there are in those two?  feel wise and traj wise.  i use SF now and love them.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I’m keen on the 921 Forged but a common little issue I see in YouTube reviews is that the spin is a little low. Does anyone see any problem with ordering them 2 degrees weak, like a PING retro spec loft? I don’t mind less offset and they have very low bounce so adding a couple degrees wouldn’t be a problem I imagine.

Edited by GolfTurkey
Grammer

1 hour ago, GolfTurkey said:

I’m keen on the 921 Forged but a common little issue I see in YouTube reviews is that the spin is a little low. Does anyone see any problem with ordering them 2 degrees weak, like a PING retro spec loft? I don’t mind less offset and they have very low bounce so adding a couple degrees wouldn’t be a problem I imagine.

If I end up going with a all 921 forged set that is what I’d do. I would actually have them all bent week to the SEL set lofts for 4 deg gapping. I like the extra bounce and less offset is a added bonus! 

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

4 hours ago, jetmech879 said:

If I end up going with a all 921 forged set that is what I’d do. I would actually have them all bent week to the SEL set lofts for 4 deg gapping. I like the extra bounce and less offset is a added bonus! 

How much can one tweak the loft before it starts to affect playability? I'm interested in doing this too, but have never adjusted lofts before.

18 minutes ago, thesamwise said:

How much can one tweak the loft before it starts to affect playability? I'm interested in doing this too, but have never adjusted lofts before.

Mizuno will go up to 2 degrees either way. I’ve done this with the MMC irons in the past and had great results. For the life of me I don’t understand why companies go with 5 deg gapping in the short irons. I know they talk about CG locations and keeping the ball flight in check. But how about this, design the damn clubs right and you can keep traditional lofting! (ok my rant is over)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thesamwise said:

I'm no expert, but I would think 2° would be no problem as bending weak adds bounce and the 921 forged irons don't have a lot of bounce to begin with. For example, the Ping i500 has 6° of bounce in the 5 iron whereas 921 forged only has 2° so bending 2° weak would bring you to 4° bounce

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jetmech879 said:

Mizuno will go up to 2 degrees either way. I’ve done this with the MMC irons in the past and had great results. For the life of me I don’t understand why companies go with 5 deg gapping in the short irons. I know they talk about CG locations and keeping the ball flight in check. But how about this, design the damn clubs right and you can keep traditional lofting! (ok my rant is over)

I'm sure from their perspective they would say they are designing them right.  The consumers all take them into the launch monitor and if all else ends up equal, they buy the clubs that hit the ball further. Even the people who say they don't need or want the extra distance will pick the longer club if the dispersion is the same. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChitownM2 said:

I'm sure from their perspective they would say they are designing them right.  The consumers all take them into the launch monitor and if all else ends up equal, they buy the clubs that hit the ball further. Even the people who say they don't need or want the extra distance will pick the longer club if the dispersion is the same. 

You may be right the majority of the time, but I chose the 919 forged over the P790s even though the P790s gave me about 10 more yards. Dispersion and spin rates were much better with the 919s

58 minutes ago, ernotte said:

You may be right the majority of the time, but I chose the 919 forged over the P790s even though the P790s gave me about 10 more yards. Dispersion and spin rates were much better with the 919s

So you fall into the smaller category that is probably making better decisions. But you chose the 919 for the dispersion and spin rates being better, had those two factors been essentially equal to the 790s which clubs would you have purchased? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChitownM2 said:

So you fall into the smaller category that is probably making better decisions. But you chose the 919 for the dispersion and spin rates being better, had those two factors been essentially equal to the 790s which clubs would you have purchased? 

Potentially. There was a couple other factors too. I bought the 919s this spring when they were discounted to $125/club and the P790s we're $175/club I believe, plus Mizuno has a lot more no upcharge shaft options. I bought at Club Champion so I wanted to try a lot of shafts but not pay an upcharge. 

3 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

I know they would. I love Mizuno and they are arguably the best iron manufacturer on the planet! My rant was that all manufactures are doing this gapping in their players GI irons. I don’t understand why anyone would want 15+ yard gaps in their short irons. 

21 hours ago, Minarets said:

wondering how much difference there are in those two?  feel wise and traj wise.  i use SF now and love them.  

I've played both - I thought the Recoils were slightly lower in flight, not enough to make a difference. Recoils are true to flex, SF are stronger in flex.

• Like 1

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

1 hour ago, SwingMan said:

I've played both - I thought the Recoils were slightly lower in flight, not enough to make a difference. Recoils are true to flex, SF are stronger in flex.

Yes my SF are def strong.   I typically play a Stiff Soft stepped and with those SF i play Regular hard stepped twice. 

1 hour ago, Warrick said:

You can see all custom options at Carl’s now, pretty much what we thought, nice selection 

Thanks. Now decision time. Recoils 95 F4 or Steelfibers for $40/club?   Hmmmm

Graphite Options are still very limited - looks like I'll be calling my fitter where I can have a selection of graphite.

• Like 2

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

3 hours ago, Warrick said:

Anyone else do a blind pre order on these?

Went all Tour - not blind. Ordered the same specs as my previous MMC order except 1/4” under which I confirmed would be aligned with Titleist and TaylorMade standard length.

When hitting them I compared the length to the MP20 and they were the exact same length and were 1/4” of where I usually play which is the new Mizzy standard 

46 minutes ago, therealjonzone said:

Went all Tour - not blind. Ordered the same specs as my previous MMC order except 1/4” under which I confirmed would be aligned with Titleist and TaylorMade standard length.

When hitting them I compared the length to the MP20 and they were the exact same length and were 1/4” of where I usually play which is the new Mizzy standard 

What’s the issue with the lengths? Maybe I’m missing it, but mizuno’s site lists indicates it’s a 37” 7 iron. 

Ordered through my custom builder with 921 F 4-PW with the PX LZ Blackout 5.5, and will have custom ferrules and grips.  I ordered my 919F/T combos with 6.0's and then change them out to Nippon super peening orange which have been amazing! If I don't like the Blackouts, I will go with the SPO again or even a Modus 130S perhaps.  I just cant wait to get them and play them. Man

• Like 2

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Ordered the forged 4-PW C taper 130x soft stepped  1 degree weak to match the lofts of my MMC20s, mainly interested in the longer irons.  My home course has a few longer par 3s and I'm trying to make some improvements on those holes.  Looking forward to seeing them in person, figured I would order unseen instead of waiting for release and most likely having them backordered since the season is winding down in PA.

I kind of finding myself reversing course.  I love my 900f, and they are getting a little long in the tooth and took a beating during my deployment to a third world country and playing there lol.  I wanted to roll into just the 921F but the past week or so I really have chilled on the looks, it just sadly doesnt move...not even a little.  The 900 line was so sharp looking, that maybe it ruined going forward for me but I think Im off wagon.  Good news though, my top choice keeps me in the mizzy family.....really looking at the HMBs.  

• Like 1

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB