Mavrik Pro, Apex, and Steelfiber Fitting Questions!

Mahamilto

My buddy has gone from a twice a year 20+HCP golfer to a weekly 14HCP player and is ready to trade his Ping G700s to something with a bit more feel and spin. I accompanied him to a fitting at Club Champion where he was fit into the new Mavrik Pro with Steelfiber i95 regular. He hit it very well and had better numbers and dispersion than his current gamers, but ultimately he was very disappointed because the Callaway Apex fitting head was broken, and this was one of the irons her really wanted to try! It is hard to get info on the Mavrik Pro given it is so new, but I really hoped that the gear heads here may have hit the two or had some experiences.

He had a few questions, and I offered to post them in hopes of a response since I spend a lot of time on these boards.

1) Which iron (Standard Apex '19 or Mavrik PRO) would be considered more "player" and which "more forgiving"?

2) Any comments on feel/ball speed/spin between Apex '19 and Mavrik PRO?

3) Thoughts on the Steelfiber i95? He swings 6i at ~85 during the fitting with a fairly smooth release. He enjoyed the feel and weight, but was concerned about not going with stiff in case he picks up a few MPH as he plays more.

So how bout it guys? Any insights?

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

This is a tough one and he really needs to hit the apex.

the mav pr is a sleeper this year and is a great iron - but its callaways "yearly" iron. the apex is an every-three-years-iron. ymmv on what that means to you.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I've talked him into going into the local big box and hitting the two with the stock offerings. The shafts are basically the same (elevate 95 and 105) and this way he can at least get an idea of feel and ball speed head to head.

Still, I would love some responses... surely some have tried both! I was trying to dissect the Mavrik Pro thread and saw some responses... anyone care to elaborate? My bud can't be the only one comparing these two offerings!

L.A.B Link.1

Radio silence huh? I will update after my buddy goes to hit the two again tomorrow.

L.A.B Link.1

I compared the Mavrik Pro with both the Apex CF19 and Apex Pro. Of the three, I preferred the feel of the Apex Pro the best. I preferred the Mavrik Pro over the Apex, however, most likely because I hit it better. The Mavrik Pro compared similarly to the Apex Pro in size (thinish top line) and offset. Additionally, the Mavrik was longest of the bunch and the most forgiving.

I ultimately chose the Mavrik Pro due to its similarities to the Apex Pro, but with added forgiveness and distance. When I pure the Mavrik Pros it is quite the satisfying sound and feeling. They are not clickey.

I have heard this too and let my buddy know. With 85ss on the 6, and around 100 on driver, Aerotech would put him in the regular too.

L.A.B Link.1

I can't really chime in totally on-point, but I can give you some tidbits that you might cobble together into something useful.

80mph 6 iron swing speed, and currently play SF i110 regular flex in my 919 HM irons. Also have a set of Epic irons with SF i95 regular flex. Both shafts in regular flex work for me. To be honest, I would think at 85mph swing speed, regular might be fine, but regular hard-stepped or stiff soft-stepped might be better. I find the stiffness of the SF 95 to be a bit overstated, but in fairness, I have never hit the stiff flex. Regular flex is very playable. Personally, I get along a bit better with the heavier weight of the i110, which played out in my fitting.

I also have a set of Rogue Pros with Tour V-100 (regular flex). I really like the Rogue Pros, which I am sure are pretty similar to the Mavrik Pros. I hit the standard Apex '19 in my fitting, and didn't love them. They were one of the worst performers for me. But that is obviously personal. YMMV.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I had the Apex 19 and left them to go to my current gamers which are the latest P790 irons. I like my current irons better than I did the Apex 19. They just didn’t look right to me with the more rounded shape. I hit the Mavrik pros the other night at golf galaxy and I was blown away! The feel was so soft and the dispersion was within a couple of yards after about 10 shots. Very consistent irons. They have me intrigued. They felt as good to me as Apex and were more forgiving too.

PING G410 LST 9° Ping Tour 65 S

PING Tisi Tec 14° Fairway Aldila 350 S

Cobra Aerojet Hybrid 19° KBS PGI S

PING iCrossover 22° Ping Tour 85 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Pro 5-G DG 105 S

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52° DG Spinner 115

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 58° DG Spinner 115

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5

I say stay with the Mav. Pro's. Maybe not quite as sleek as the Apex 19's , but not much of a difference. Feel for me is better in the Mav. Pro's, both irons produce great ball speeds. As far as the SF. shaft, the 95 in reg. can handle what he has for speed now and even if he goes up a little faster.

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, MMT 105S

Cleveland RTX 6, 60 mid, Tour Rack Raw,Nippon Modus wedge 115

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

I haven't hit the steelfiber regulars, but i was shocked how stiff the i95 stiff flex is. I usually plays an x flex iron shaft, especially in lower weights. Had recently been plays Modus 105x. thought i would easily translate into steelfibers in x flex. i mean, graphite and lower weight. usually you are thinking to go up a flex. but the stiff actually fit me better. and with some research this is common knowledge that they play stiff to flex. alot of the tour players that are playing steelfibers are using the s flex as well. so would not seem to strange to me that your friend was fit into the regular flex.

that being said. why not address that into the fitting. if i am interested in walking away with a stiff flex to support my growing game and the fitter fits me into a regular flex, id have a conversation with him at the least. actually, i could guarantee that i would say okay these numbers looks great, but lets put a stiff flex in of the same shaft and see what the potential pros and cons are. hit the ball nearly as well and maybe you could lean that way, but if you start mistiming things, not being able to turn it over and dispersion worsens than you just answered all your questions.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Good point. My bud liked the feel a ton. I think it was more mental that he didn’t want to play regular graphite; “that’s for old men,” may have been said more than once (his dad plays reg graphite...)

I had to have a sit down about what steel fibers really are.

L.A.B Link.1

I get a little quick with lighter shafts in my short irons, so I am playing Modus 120s hardstepped right now. I've tried quite a few different shafts in the 95-110 category, experimenting with them as an option for a 4 driving iron, or even possibly into my 5 and 6 iron, but didnt find much I liked, except for the 105x and steelfiber 95s. A big fault of mine is probably swinging too hard. Not fast, but just aggressive and hard and these held up to it, but retained a smooth feel that I like.

• Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Just to offer another view, my 6 ss on Trackman was 88 mph and I definitely prefer the Steelfiber 95 in stiff. Have that shaft in a TM 770 head and it feels fine. Doesn’t feel any stiffer than a stiff shaft to me. Still hit it high. Stops on a dime. Of course I am coming from Project X Rifles and C Tapers so I am used to firm shafts and like them.

Being in the process of switching from steel, I find Steelfiber is a nice shaft for that transition. Yet I also think the KBS TGI shaft feels even better with that same stability, and low torque. In that one I fit into TGI 95. I would say your buddy is right on the reg vs stiff line in Steelfiber 95 and could play the one he likes better.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I was fit recently. My swing speed was around 77mph with my own 7 iron. I was fit in to steel fiber 95 stiff which I was swinging at an average of 80.5.i have a very aggressive transition, but waa as amazed at the increase in swingspeed. I hit the mavrik Pro in the fitting and really enjoyed it. But it didn't gain me much from my i500, but it was more forgiving.

For me Epic Forged was a game changer. I don't hit the ball very far but do so with too much height and spin. You can say all you want about stronger lofts but I gained 19nyards on the 7 iron but added a ton of shot consistency and much improved dispersion. And they look good at address. The fitter didn't even hand me apex as he new it would launch too high.

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: Provisionally PXG 0311 Gen 6 at 15.75 Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S
Hybrid: PXG 0311 Gen6 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8S
Hybrid: PXG 0311 Gen6 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

Guys... I really appreciate the responses... it took a minute to get everyone out of the woodwork, but your feedback has been so helpful to my buddy. He's been reading responses as they come in, but doesn't regular the forum.

AS AN UPDATE: I told him if he had any 2nd thoughts he should go to a big box store and hit the apex and MavPro so there was no possibility of second guessing. He went to PGA SuperStore today and hit them both. They weren't too busy so the guy in the Callaway bay let him hit a few shaft combos. He hit the Apex '19 and the Mavrik Pro with the Aerotech Steelfiber FC90 in stiff... and the DEFINITIVE winner was the Mavrik Pro. He called me excited and said that he felt the Apex was just barely softer on prefect strikes, but the Mavrik Pro was softer around the face, while still letting him know EXACTLY where he hit them.

The numbers were better on the Mavrik Pro too... averaged 2mph extra ball speed, with 1* more launch and 200rpm more spin on average. He couldn't be more convinced that his fitting was right for him.

The ONLY remaining question is i95 vs. 90FC. He loved the feel of both. I tried to read up and given his game I think the 90FC would benefit him a ton; its also slightly more true to flex, so he can go with stiff and be confident.

I'd love any input from you guys on the i95 vs. 90FC, but I also just want to thank everyone that helped me and my buddy nail down the perfect set.

L.A.B Link.1

I’d say Steelfiber FC90 is a good choice for him. A little higher torque designed into those stiffs (2.8) vs the i95 stiff (2.4) and gives it a little softer feel.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

FC90 is a flighted shaft and plays truer to flex....matches you buds trackman stats much better than the i95 profile.

TM Qi10 Max - Diamana T60
PXG Black Ops 4W, 7W - GD Tour AD VR-7

Titleist T350 5 - MMT95

Titleist T200 6-PW - MMT95

Titleist T150 GW - MMT105

Vokey- 54/12A, 58LBK
LAB Golf DF3
Titleist Pro V1

• 4 weeks later...

6 iron 95 mph and play the mav pro with SF 110x hard stepped once. and love them. Ball speed/club speed was much higher with mav pro vs apex. and smash factor was higher as well, but consistently high so no jumpers or anything like that. really enjoying them so far, they go REALLY straight... like you have to change where your aiming straight lol

He wanted and swung better with a lighter shaft. The numbers were honestly better with the steelfibers, and he planned on taking the fitting to order his own; he didn’t want/need the extra 50/club for puring.

‘He got the mav pros with the i90fc in stiff straight from Cally with the specs nailed and got 50% trade in bonus from his g700s (which was like 640!)

Hes about 8 rounds in and happy. His flight is a tad lower than he wanted, but his GIRs are up 12% almost right away. He’s great with the short irons, and very good with the mid irons. He never was great with long irons, but he’s better (let’s say much more consistent) with his 5i now than he was (he tended to slice the g700, with had stock lie vs his now 2* up) and his front to back dispersion is MUCH better on all. Luis. He seems very happy!

L.A.B Link.1

Not everything is a conspiracy theory. All we know is the end result of the fitting and he very well could have hit the KBS and hated them.

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

He did not hit the KBS...

He went thru the major players first... DG AMT (most like the AMT in his pings), Modus 105 was decent, Modus 120 wasnt, S200s were so-so, the guy handed him a i95 and he fell in love. It was his choice to stop demoing any others and they rolled with it. Today he fired an 83 with me... by far the best round of his life and he hit a ton of greens. So its apparently a win.

L.A.B Link.1