Putter grip suggestions

Hi All,

I grabbed a putter from E-bay, i'd been wanting one for a while - Toulon Latrobe. The shaft and grip are not ideal and i'm looking to change them.

My idea is to apply a stability putter shaft, these seem really interesting to me. Along with the shaft, it makes sense to add a new grip as well. My other putter is with a superstroke.

Looking to find out if anyone has any recommendations for comfortable putter grip or some ideas for me to consider outside of superstroke ?

Thanks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you like? Small, med or large grips? Taper or no taper, pistol, round, square, rectangular, oval, teardrop shaped? Firm or soft feel? Do you want a heavy or light grip? It can change the feel. There are hundreds of grip options. Best to narrow down first.

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

Depends what you like...? Superstrokes are pretty much all comfortable...The new Golf Pride Tour SNSR are also comfortable but a bit more mushy (the rubber durometer is lower most likely) and then there's always classic pistol grips. Best bet is head to your local golf store and put some in your hands.

SIM Max 9* | Ventus Black 6x

SIM Ti 19* | Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Cobra Speedzone 18.5* | Accra FX 2.0 380M5

Titleist 818H1 | Ventus blue 10x

i210 5-PW | X100 Tour Issue 1xSS

Ping Glide 3.0 50/12, 54/12 | S400 Tour Issue

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60/10 | S400 Tour Issue Onyx

Cleveland SOFT Premier #4 (Compass Golf Co. Custom Atwood incoming!!)

ProV1x

hmm i guess i shoul have given some more thought towards the criteria :P

I know i definately don't like the teardrop shapes. That's the one that's currently on the putter. It''s also very firm and the pointed front is too strange for me.

I think something more oversize and thicker / softer is what i'd be looking for. A counterweight is also good option.

Medium / Large (thicker) , Soft , Medium to heavy, no taper.

I tried some in the hands, but it wasn't the same only feeling the grip, without the shaft or the weighted head on it.

Winn AVS mid pistol

GBB Ventus Black 6
F9 Tour 3w-Ventus black 7
F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70
F9 21* hybrid - ATMOS black 

F9 24* hybrid Hzrdus smoke 
JPX921F 6-G LZ Blackout 
MD5 53/58
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 

Recently became a big fan of Iomic grips.

Titleist TS3 8.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2

Titleist TS3 15* Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1"

Titleist U500 2i Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 hb

Callaway Apex Pro Double Dot 4-pw Accra i steel 125

Vokey Raw SM8 50F, 54S, 58S (custom grind) Nippon Modus 125 wedge

Cushman Custom C&C 1.0 Raw Carbon KBS CT Tour Matte Black, Golf Pride Pro Only Red * or

Mizuno M Craft Type 1 Satin  Stability Tour Shaft, Golf Pride Pro Only Green*

Bridgestone Tour B XS

Titleist TS3 8.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2

Titleist TS3 15* Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1"

Titleist U500 2i Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 hb

Callaway Apex Pro Double Dot 4-pw Accra i steel 125

Vokey Raw SM8 50F, 54S, 58S (custom grind) Nippon Modus 125 wedge

Cushman Custom C&C 1.0 Raw Carbon KBS CT Tour Matte Black, Golf Pride Pro Only Red * or

Mizuno M Craft Type 1 Satin  Stability Tour Shaft, Golf Pride Pro Only Green*

Bridgestone Tour B XS

Iomic are fantastic, great feel that’s not too soft. I recently tried JOP (0 &1 degree) which is a tad firmer and has an added option for those that tend to strike the ball with a slightly open face.

The evnroll gravity grip fits my long fingers so well. It isn't super wide but it is rather long front to back. I am not sure if the weighted rod that runs down the length of it does what it says, but the way the grip fits my hands is better than any other I have tried.

Look at the Golf Pride Tour SNSR grips. Softest grip on the market based on the material. Have a professional install as they can be tricky. Three different shapes, two sizes for each. Thicker as you say you like. They even have a blue colored one that isn't tapered. Some don't like the colors but some like how they stand out and pop.

PING G400 9* 
PING G25 15* 
PING G25 20* 
PING i20 4-PW green dot
Titleist Vokey 51*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Milled RSX 7 / Odyssey 7cs XG

As some others have alluded to, putter grips are very personal and preference is going to vary greatly depending on the individual. I'm someone who is super picky with them and over the last 3 years have tried almost every shape and size on the market, and find myself going back to the same one, a basic Pingman blackout grip with 4 strips of tape underneath. It's simple, cheap, and fits perfectly in my hands and gives me the feel I want. Although I will probably keep playing around I've learned it's going to be hard for me to find one I like and trust more for my own preference.

Nothing feels more "right" in my hands than Rosemark's 1.52 grips. I'm not even bothering with other grips anymore.

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood

Cobra F9 5 Wood

Srixon H45 4 hybrid

Srixon 565 5-AW

Ping Glide 3.0 54 deg.

Callaway PM Grind 60 deg.

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

I second deep etched.

Callaway Mavrik Triple Diamond SZ | Project X HZRDUS HC Yellow S
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero (15) | Project X HZRDUS Yellow S
Titleist 910H (21) | Matrix Ozik WhiteTie HX3 X
New Level NLU01 (21) | SteelFiber i110 Black Label S 1HS
New Level 1126 (4-PW) | SteelFiber i110 Black Label S 1HS
Haywood (50, 54) | Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap F4 S
Byron Morgan 615

i am considering those P2 grips. The one i have right now is Garsen and i don't like it, think it will stay away from that brand. The SNSr and Traxion are interesting, as well as the coolcat.

Considering also a new shaft to combine, so i will see when i have time to find a pro shop

Either a Sense grip or a P2.

Sense is guaranteed to be put on straight and has a great feel/shape.

The P2 gets your left hand in a better position naturally.

Can't go wrong w either.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Since the putter is the most personal club in your bag and the most important, or the most used IMO. You have to do your homework when it comes to grips and how they affect swingweight. I would have your putter swingweighted first for a starting point, then choose a grip that will give you your ideal swingweight based on grams. You can go a step farther and pick a grip that best suits the style of putter you have, the more toe hang the small to midsize grips work well, and face balanced work well with mid to oversized but not too big grips. Then it’s just what feels the best and inspires the most confidence. I hope this helps.

Really great feedback, thanks everyone ! i guess the current limitations of going outside promote people to become more active on the internet :)

At the weekend, i decided on the SS Traxion Pistol GT 2.0 (and i got it for free)

I had wanted to combine the grip together with a new shaft and decided to try out the Breakthrough Golf stabilty shaft. I tried the P2 in my hand, but it felt very different from what i expected from seeing it on the internet. It was narrow and stiff. Perhaps because i've being using SS in my other putter that i feel more naturally that i prefer the feel there.

I also went for 50g counterbalance.

I'll try to give an update next weekend when i pick it up (the shaft is on order and pending fitting adjustments)

I’m a fan of the pro only golf pride grips. I do think super stroke makes the best grips for me though. Flatso 2.0 for me.

TS3 8.5 Ventus Black 7x

Ping G410 17 degree Hybrid Atmos Black 9x

Mizuno CLK 22 degree hybrid Tensei Pro Blue 80TX

T100S 1 degree weak 4-PW Project X 7.0

SM7 50, 54 Project X 6.5 

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60 Project X 6.5

Piretti Cottonwood II

Srixon XV 

I use a pure midsize grip and I like how it has width at the top (thump area) and has a solid rubber feel that is tacky enough but not un noticeable. I have putted around with those newer Cleveland frontline putters and I have liked the feel of the lamkin sink fit grip which is larger but puts the hands in very comfortable positions. I don’t use overly large grips like the older super strokes or non tapered shapes.

but like the other fellers have said putter grips are very personal. Roll some store models when these situation passes and look up the grips that come stock for you to buy later on your own putter.

The Lamkin SinkFit grip that came stock on my Bettinardi has been a pleasant surprise. Really nice feel and fits the hands perfect. Worth a try as I've seen them in my local shop before they closed down selling for $8.99

PING G410 10.5° | Ventus Blue 7S

PING G410 5W 16.5º | Ventus Blue 8S
PING G410 3H 20.5º | Ventus Blue HB 9X
Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW | Modus 105S
Callaway MD5 50°W 54°S 58°X | KBS $-Taper 120S

Toulon Las Vegas H7 | Stability Tour
Titleist ProV1x