Cobra Driver - which one?

I'm thinking I would like to try a Cobra Driver. I have never had one before but have heard a lot of good things. I currently have a Mavrik SZ 9 w/ a HZRDUS stiff yellow shaft. My SS is about 108 when I get it up there. I know I should go get fit and yes, I have a nice driver now but I'm not familiar with all of the differences and wanted a recommendation for those that have maybe tried the F9, SZ or SZ Extreme.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't overlook the Cobra LTD. One of Cobra's best & still keeps up with the newer Cobra models. Can be found for around $100. Looks & sounds really nice.

The F9 will be the best value since you can get it at a discount now that the SZ is available.

I went from an F9 to the SZ. I tried the Extreme but it was too spinny for me compared to the F9/SZ.

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Ventus Blue HB 8-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54: Nippon 115-S Wedge

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I swing about the same speed as you with a medium/smooth transition. Typical miss is a hook. I tried most of the new drivers before settling on a SpeedZone 10.5 (heavy weight in back) and Rogue Silver 60 Stiff shaft. Next best for me was PING G410 LST. The SIM driver was consistently longer but less consistent and any configuration I tested.

TM M5 9 HZRDUS Yellow 65 6.0
TM 2016 M2 3W Diamana S+Ltd 70s
TM 2016 M2 5W Diamana S+Ltd 70s
PING ie1 3, 5-Pw, Gw Project X 6.0
Vokey SM7 54.08M DG Wedge Flex
TM Hi-Toe 58 ATV KBS Hi-Rev
PING Sigma 2 Tyne 4
/Taylormade Daddy Long Legs 2.0
/Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

I play an F9 and recently demoed a SZ. I personally didn't find there to be much of a difference - certainly not enough to warrant upgrading.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (14.5, 19)

Cobra Utility (23.5)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54, 58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Black

The SZ looks much better at address.

It sounds a little bit louder on contact and when I was hitting it head to head vs the F9 it was a little more forgiving across the face.

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Ventus Blue HB 8-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54: Nippon 115-S Wedge

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Don't overlook the Cobra LTD. One of Cobra's best & still keeps up with the newer Cobra models. Can be found for around $100. Looks & sounds really nice.

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra SZ Extreme @ 11.5 Degrees

5 Wood: Cobra F8 @ 17 Degrees

Hybrid: Cobra 3-4 OS @ 20.5 degrees

Hybrid: Cobra F9 @ 24 Degrees

Irons: Callaway Apex 19's 6-SW

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degrees

Putter: PXG Closer

LY i played the F9 for the 1st half of the year and the Callaway Epic Flash SZ for the 2nd half. The F9 for ME was great when I hit it in the middle of the face. My miss is toe side and it could be quite unforgiving on those shots both in dispersion and distance. Sold it on BST here and moved to the Epic Flash SZ. Really liked this, but it was a little to low spin for me in 2020. I have moved to the Cobra extreme for TY and it has been very good - much more consistent with it compared to the F9 due to the forgiveness of it.

If the OP consistently hits the middle of the face, then the F9 is a great choice. If not, then probably one of this years Cobra's might be worth looking at.

Ping G410 w/ Tensei orange
Cobra F9 3/4W w/ ATmos Blue 1/2" Short 
Cobra 5-6W (oldie)

Titleist 818 5H
Ping G710 5-P w/ KBS Tour 120
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX Full Face 56*
TM Spider X 34" blue

Love my Cobra LTD Pro... just had to find the right shaft for it... Honestly, new drivers are just different iterations of old drivers. There are some gains, but it's nothing crazy. I've hit the F9 and Speedzone and wasn't compelled to upgrade. They are all good... Get an LTD with a shaft you like for $100 and then upgrade to a new head next year :-)

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I'll throw another vote in for the LTD Pro. I have mine shafted with a HZRDUS Black 70 S and it's very hard to beat. Just love the sound of that head too.

BT

Mizuno ST180 10.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 70 S @ 44.5"
Mizuno JPX 850 3w 14.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 43"
Mizuno JPX 850 7w 19.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Imo SZ looks better with the Infinity face vs the insert of the F9 which made it hard to see the actual clubface at address. But at least from published tests the F9 performs slightly better with +1mph better swing speed. I think they.compromised aerodynamics for appearance. That said I have an SZ on order as I got a good deal on a slightly used one with the shaft I wanted.

Ping G400 10.5 Ping Tour 65
Ping G400 14.5 Ping Tour 75  
Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85
Callaway Apex Mixed Combo 2021 4 - AW KBS $-Taper
Yururi Tataki 52.5 & 60.5 KBS Hi Rev 125
Ping Anser 2 Milled
NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
Titleist ProV1X 
UA Jordan Spieth 2
Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)

Does anyone know if this offer is available in Canada? It would be a nice bonus having just bought a SpeedZone Driver.

TM M5 9 HZRDUS Yellow 65 6.0
TM 2016 M2 3W Diamana S+Ltd 70s
TM 2016 M2 5W Diamana S+Ltd 70s
PING ie1 3, 5-Pw, Gw Project X 6.0
Vokey SM7 54.08M DG Wedge Flex
TM Hi-Toe 58 ATV KBS Hi-Rev
PING Sigma 2 Tyne 4
/Taylormade Daddy Long Legs 2.0
/Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

What you said. With the LTD and LTD Pro, you've got a wide range of lofts covered.

I would also say the F6+ is worth a look. There's an F6+ Pro model, just as with the LTD/LTD Pro, and with the weight back the F6+ has a higher MOI than the LTD.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

I currently on the cobra F9 driver love it. It was by far the longest and most enjoyable to hit last year matched with the hazardous smoke shaft. I demoed the speed zone driver recently and I can tell you that there are a few advantages of the newer model. It won’t be any longer on good hits. However when when miss especially high toe side the forgiveness is much better than with the F9. I would get very little loss of ball speed and very little hook. With my F9 my spin would drop And with a toe side miss I would either get a high right shot or snap hook miss depending on the situation. I find the same swing with the new speed zone driver tends to be quite straight with ball speed and spin retention.

locally The price difference between the two models is only about US$75. Additionally my local Golftown is offering a 50% trade-in value on older clubs if you buy the new 2020 offerings. Because of this it makes sense for me to trade in towards the new speed zone as it won’t end up costing me more out-of-pocket.

I have similar speeds as you and actually tested your exact driver against both cobra SZ yesterday.

Mavrik SZ 9, hzrdus yellow 6.5. Had misses both left, right, and short. Low penetrating ball flight, around 11* launch. Horrible dispersion. Ball speed around 159 with Snell mtb-x.

Mavrik SZ 9, hzrdus yellow 6.5, heavy weight back. Little better dispersion. More misses to the right, took out the misses to the left. Little higher ball flight 14*, more spin, less overall distance.

CobraSZ extreme 9, hzrdus smoke yellow, 60g, 6.5. Long and forgiving. Better dispersion. Higher ball flight with more spin. Couldn't get over the SUPER OVERSIZE headshape.

CobraSZ standard, 9, hzrdus smoke yellow, 60g, 6.5. Long and still forgiving. Best dispersion. Similar flight to mavrik SZ with heavy weight back around 14*, spin similar to Mavrik SZ with heavy weight forward 2k rpm, 160-161 mph ball speed, 290 carry with 310 rollout, Snell mtb-x. Most likely my next gamer!

***side note* I absolutely LOVE the contrast on the top of the Taylormade drivers. The white paint against the carbon crown helps me with alignment. The cobra's wrap around face with milled lines against the crown does add a little bit on contrast to help with alignment also. The Callaway's don't. Anther reason I favored the Cobra over the Mavrik.

Gaming the Speedzone at 44,5“ weight forward... I really didn’t hit it that long ever! Fortunately straight too

i just love the infinity face and the feel when you crush it.

F9 should be a very good option with results (Nearly) the same as SZ!

hit the normal Mavrik once, liked the feel at impact! Didn’t hit it with my shaft so distance was not as good, but should be right up there with the Speedzone.