New Maltby Playability Factors.

bwhitish

Well here goes my annual contribution to people discussing the Malby Playability Factor. I know many think its useless and some find it a little useful. So here are the 2020 additions. Callaway Mavrik Max 780, Mavrik 677, Epic E19 631, Mavrik Pro 592. Cobra SZ One 865, SZ 824, T Rail 770. King Forged Tec One 570, Forged Tec 472. Mizuno MP20 HMB 478, MP20 MMC 416, MP20 359. Taylor Made Sim Max 834, Sim Max OS 651, P790 607, P7TW 282. Ping G710 749, Blueprint 458. Titleist T300 895, T400 851, T200 690, T100 530, 620 CB 465. 620 Blade 287. Tommy Armour 845 828, 845 Forged 415. Wilson Launch Pad 524, D7 Forged 438, Staff Model 365. Have fun!

PXG 0811 XF Gen 4 10.5 Evenflow Riptide 50 A
PXG 0211 5 Wood 18 Evenflow Riptide 50A
PXG 0211 Hybrid 22 Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
PXG 0211 XCor 2 6-LW Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
Ping Anser 2 Karsten 1959

Ping Traverse

Kirkland Performance Plus V2

The final MPF score isn't what you should be looking at. It's essentially a "grade" of how close that clubheads is to what Ralph Maltby prefers in his designs.

That being, a low CG that's far from the hosel.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Everything looks about as expected, with a surprise being the Blueprint's score. Although, as someone said before, the MPF is more a measurement of how low and toe-side the CG is. Nobody should be buying just based on MPF alone, but the measurements are valuable to find an iron that works best for your swing. Personally, I've had the best results with irons that measure the vertical COG at around .850. These types of irons are always going to have lower MPF scores, but they work far better for my swing that super low CG irons.

I agree with this. I hit down on the ball well, so the low CG not always the best. I also look for C-Dimension around 1.2, give or take. A little lower is OK, a lot higher just means it is a huge blade. I don’t go by the MPF score. It favors clubs with long blade lengths and I don’t strike those as well.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Understanding the individual measurements and how they suggest a club will interact with your game is invaluable. I am a picker with my usual miss being low toe so lower COG and longer CDim benefit me a lot. Several times I have demoed clubs and been surprised at the results (both good and bad) until I looked at the Maltby measurements (not the overall MPF).

While others in this posts say about the CG in relation to the hosel determines the MPF rating is true. In layman's terms, the MPF Rating measures the forgiveness in an iron (the higher the rating, the more "forgiving" it is).

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Also, C-Dimension is a somewhat misleading factor into overall MPF scores. A club can have a small C-Dim number and it's MPF score will be greatly impacted, however, that club might have a small C-Dim because the overall blade length is also small.

I agree with you that any blade with a high C-Dim usually just means a longer blade length (unless there's obvious toe-weighting design). In general, I prefer a smaller blade length, so I also look for C-Dim around 1.1 to 1.2.

Knowing your numbers makes it a lot easier to narrow down potential iron design options, and it does give good understanding as to why some irons just never "click" for your swing. My numbers line up perfectly with the newly measured 620MB, which is probably why (to me) they are the best irons I've hit in a long, long, long time. And boy, did I test out a LOT of clubs this year.

• 1 month later...

Dredging up this thread instead of starting a new one...looking hard at the Ping i210 but I am now a bit perplexed at their MPF score of 338! The i200’s were 474 and even Blueprints like mentioned here are 458. I only learned of this rating system today but still, what gives on the i210’s? From all the accounts I’ve read here they are one of the more forgiving irons in their category.

The vertical CG is way high in the i210s at 0.913" which is considerably higher than the midpoint of a golf ball at 0.84". The i200s have a high vertical CG of 0.863", but it is not crazy high. High vertical CGs drive MPF lower because of the difficulty of launching the ball high. Very high swing speed players won't have as much issue due to greater speed and spin generated, but moderate swing speed players might lose a good bit of carry distance.

• Like 1

I am so surprised to see t100 and t100s as higher than Srixon z585 irons when z585 is a “game improvement” when t100 is more of a players. Also surprised to see how high JPX 919F and new P790 are. Makes me wonder why I’m playing z765 when I could be playing something far more forgiving in a smaller head.

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

Those are all a pretty good example of how the favoring of C-Dimension creates some wrinkles in what you would expect. The z585 has the smallest C-Dimension value in that list and gets dinged for it. All the other numbers are in the game improvement areas though (VCoG, RCoG, MOI). This is what some of the other posters in this thread meant regarding how you shouldn't always go by the MPF number. If you don't need that "toe forgiveness" because you're someone that lives around the middle or slightly heel side of the face, then the C-Dimension of the z585 is not a bad thing for you. The MPF formula has some "one size fits all" characteristics to it that often have exceptions to the rule.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Lower COG = lower spin and higher COG = higher spin. A more rearward COG will increase forgiveness and launch angle. Strike and loft are still king when it comes to launch and spin though, and you're better off tweaking loft to influence that area, but choosing a club that is more conducive spec-wise to your goal is still smart. If you're looking for higher launch and spin, you'll primarily want to balance loft and vertical COG. e.g. lower COG requiring weaker lofts and vice versa. As an example, I am a mid/high spin and launch player and I like lower COG, weaker lofts, and a slightly lower spin ball. If I were a low ball hitter trying to gain a little height and spin without changing my swing, I would first look at weaker lofts and a spinnier ball, but if I wanted a new set of irons I would probably look for something that I could bend weak while maintaining the correct amount of offset first, then maybe favor a lower COG and a spinner ball, or a medium COG and a medium spin ball. Loft would be the biggest concern though as that will have the greatest impact.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Bridgestone 

Ah, yeah that is pretty normal for that type of iron. You have a really far back CG, lots of offset, and very traditional "weak" lofts. All that adds up to high launch as they are designed to do. Really the only thing you CAN do is strengthen the lofts, otherwise you're really just working against too much of a very intentional high launch setup.

The gaps are quite large in the set down there however, so you have room to play with that. You could go from the 7-PW strengthening in increments of 0.5* starting with 1* strong with the 7i, then 1.5* strong in the 8i etc etc. Care would need to be taken once you get above 2* though, and you'll want to be mindful of whatever gapping you have between the PW and your next wedge, but that should help quite a bit.

Bridgestone 

Please provide a link ... I can only find the 2019 MPF numbers.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x