2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Higher launching/spinning shaft for G400 14.5 fairway wood?

kygolfer81

I've got the G400 LST driver with a Kuro Kage XD TX. I love the shaft and thought I'd love it in my 3-wood. Turns out, I don't. It's a fairly stout low-launching, lower spinning shaft. It's just too much for me, I guess, to get any kind of consistent performance out of it. The G400 fairways are supposed to be extremely easy to hit but with this shaft, it's not. It's a liability right now and I'm looking for something to replace it.

Who's got a G400 fairway and what shaft are you using? Preferably something that won't break the bank but I'll likely be selling my XD soon, so I'll have a little to spend on the replacement.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Similar issue to yourself. Tried an XT in the driver and loved it, 3 wood not so much. Threw in a tensei pro blue 80tx and absolutely love it. Big fan of that and the diamana bf.

TaylorMade QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

TaylorMade stealth plus 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Taylormade stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Using the Tour 75 in mine, great shaft. HZRDUS red may also be a good option... Love this 3 wood.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

I considered that. It doesn't look like they make one that's heavier than the 65g? Or am I just not seeing any for sale online? I don't think I could do a fairway wood with a shaft that light.Thanks. I did have a Tour 75 X but it just felt too whippy to me. I actually didn't hit it too bad, but the feel just didn't ever do it for me. Problem would be knowing how much to tip it.The Tensei Pro Blue is one I've thought about taking a look at. I'd need to find one used at a decent price. Looks like new on ebay they're all $300 or so. I'll have to look into the Diamana.Well, it's mostly my fault on that front. My KK XD in my driver is tipped .5". According to MCA, the three wood should be tipped another .5" more than driver. So, I tipped it and inch. It honestly doesn't feel terrible to me but I just cannot get the ball off the ground which is really unlike me. I hit everything high except this three wood. Thanks. Yeah I had a Tour 75 initially but felt like it was a little whippy but honestly I didn't hit the ball bad with it. I guess worst case is I'll just go back to it and get over the whippy sensation. HZRDUS is another I could definitely look at. Tried the Black in my driver for a while and didn't hit it terrible, but liked the KK better. Could probably find one of those fairly cheap too

Try the HZRDUS Red.

I play the HZRDUS 63g 6.5 Black in my G400Max driver and the 76g 6.5 Red in my G400 14.5degree 3 wood. Similar feel but the Red is definitely easier to launch with a smooth swing. For reference I swing driver 115-118 mph. You also might want to look at taking a half inch off the length of the 3 wood regardless of shaft for more consistent contact and launch. Won't lose much if any distance and will be a lot easier to hit off the deck.

I felt the same way about the Tour 65 stiff at first, I thought it felt "loose". So I tried an Aldila Rogue silver and that was defintiely more firm but even though the Tour shaft felt softer, it's just straight bullets for me... I can't argue with its performance, but the HZRDUS red is definitely one I have been wanting to try.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

I have some heavy experience here

suggestions

Oban revenge original blueboards aldila nasty long

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

It's not like I'm a long drive competitor or anything. My 3-wood swing is around 108-110 (or was at the end of last year). Carry it around 265 (or did before this shaft LOL). I've been reading up more on the Red and I'm honestly thinking about trying it out. Seems to be one of the cheaper options. Thanks for the recommendation. Well, that explains a lot then. Guess I could give it another go. Just need to find one tipped or get it tipped after.Yeah, I agree with you there at least for fairway woods and irons. Results are where it's at. I could play x in my irons, but I'm not going at them too hard most of the time and I just like the feel of the Project X 6.0. Definitely understand that. I actually did hit the Tour 75 pretty good. I just couldn't get over the feel. I may have to go back to it in the end, but I'm definitely leaning toward HZRDUS Red at the moment.

I had almost pulled the trigger on an XT. Kinda wish I would have. Sorry, what is a PW? I also didn't know the Ping Tour driver shafts come tipped an inch. That may be an option. Just cut one down.

Thank you for those suggestions!

Not hard to explain why....

Kuro Kage XT has a rather stiff butt section (and tip), so when we move from driver to 3W, we normally go to a head with lower BBGM = more butt section in play, and if its tipped like suggested 0.5" = stiffer tip and even more butt section in play, and reduced net shaft length = over all stiffer.

Wood shafts is not like iron shaft. For irons we have "equal butt section" for all, while for woods we take 50/50 when we go shorter, but the lower BBGM adds back the lost butt, so we go stiffer.

If we had the same BBGM for both drivers and woods, its looks like this:

67DW0I4VB473.pngSo, Kuro Kage XT have a profile where i expected to see 0" as tip trim for 3W and driver, and 0.5" for 5W to make them feel more equal from driver to wood.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Thats a slight mis-uderstanding, conversion of face angle to loft is done when we rotate face angle back to where we came from, you want have added loft with a closed face angle, you have LESS, but thats how it might look for address, but when you rotate it back to where you came from, conversion or exchange or face angle to loft is done, NOT before.

About shafts...its NOT the shafts job to get launch right, thats a loft issue, so choose shaft by weight, feel and dispersion, and leave ball flight to loft. At the moment your loft is too low, and using a shaft to tweak that is "risky business" since that only works when you put "the right" swing on it (load and release timing), while a change of static loft works no matter what.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

and this is an XD which is I think stiffer slightly than the XT. My driver is tipped .5” and I love it. That’s why I tipped the three wood 1”. MCA recommends .5” more than the driver. Probably a mistake by the sounds of it. Sorry, I’m not sure I understand your explanation. I feel like I have a decent grasp of the concept though I may have botched the explanation in my previous post. It’s effective loft, no? So in order to increase loft, the adjustment made closes the face which in turn after rotating the face back open so it is square, you get a higher effective loft. Just the opposite for decreasing loft. The adjustment opens the face and after rotating it back to square the loft is decreased. Maybe that’s off?

maybe it’s an illusion to me but if I add loft the face just appears to be completely jacked at address. I can’t get past it ?

as for launch, I don’t have an answer there. I’m a high ball hitter. I can hit anything up in the air except this three wood. It’s 14.5 loft. I know that loft if the club plays into launch mostly but shaft does play some right? I mean I’ve seen enough videos from TXG and in my own time on Trackman to know that launch changes sometimes fairly significantly between different shafts with the same head. I had the PING Tour 75x in this same head previously. I hit it way up in the air. With with the Kuro Kage I just line drives. Just seems odd. I appreciate your input!

Is it the same flex and weight? When I asked that question I didn't know you had tipped it more. There's a small group of golfers that play the same exact shaft in the driver and fairway -- thought you were in it. I'm not sure it's any stiffer but from what I understand it has a little more feel. I don't think you should make a big change. I actually never liked the 400 fairway. I switched to the G410 Lst and never looked back. I gets up so easy but doesn't balloon either and has a smaller, shallower footprint. The G400 always felt too big to me.

From the way I understand it loft is only added to the club after the face is opened back up. If the club looks closed just open it. Think that's what Howard means.

If you have some lead tape around you could put a few strips on the sole of the club up near the face. That'll help the shaft play softer and get more weight under the ball. Choke down to get the swing weight right.

No, the KK XD in my driver is a 60 TX tipped .5". The one in my fairway is a 70 TX tipped 1". I actually got a great deal from JDs Clubs on a Motore Tour Spec 7.3 for my fairway. I have a friend that plays it and he said he loves it in his fairway. So, we'll see. I an already tell it feels a lot different just swinging it. The KK in my fairway feels like a board. The Motore at least feels like it's got some action in it. Whether that helps at all, we'll see. I've just never had any trouble getting the ball up in the air in my life and still don't with any other club, but this 3 wood just doesn't want to cooperate. I may have to give the G410 fairway a try if this one doesn't work out. With this virus going around, I'm not even sure how much golf we'll be playing so looking at G410's probably isn't something I'll do immediately. I really don't hit it that often. I just want something that's easy to get up in the air when I do it it. Most times it may be once a round into a par 5 or something.

From the way I understand it loft is only added to the club after the face is opened back up. If the club looks closed just open it. Think that's what Howard means.Yeah that's the way I understand it too. My problem has always been that when I adjust it to add loft, even after opening it back up to square to get that extra loft, the face just doesn't look right to me at address. I just can't play something that when I'm at address doesn't look like I think it should look. lol. Maybe I'm just a headcase.