2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Irons with Consistent Distance

DHoch

When I came back to golf about 18 months ago after a 4 year layoff, I traded in my Cleveland CG4s for Cleveland CBXs. After 18 months and tons of practice, I'm finding that my carry distances are all over the place. I've done a lot of work on my ball striking, so I don't think that's the main culprit. Are there any irons on sale right now that have a reputation for consistent carry distances?

Blades....

• Like 2

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

If you have a decent swing speed and purchased the CBX’s with the stock shafts, the main reason for your distance variation is the shafts, not the heads. That said, as irons become smaller, more solid, and less stable, in other words closer to a blade as @Kale_m states, the more consistent they will tend to be. At the cost of forgiveness, distance, and ball flight in most cases.
An intermediate solution is the ‘player’s cavity back’. Two prior year models with excellent reputations and saner pricing are the Ping i200 and the Taylor Made P770. Either is a fine choice of a player at any level IMO.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

Players CB's and blades are as consistent as the players swing. I am a believer that consistency in yardage is way more important than an iron helping a player on bad strikes. A club that gives you repeatable distances on full swings also gives you repeatable distances on partial swings, chips, etc..

Hope you find the perfect set for your game!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

A couple different golf sites which I won’t name have done tests and found that when you look at the data, blades are no more consistent with distance than GI irons and typically less accurate. You can question their methodology I suppose but from the non-anecdotal evidence I’ve seen I’m guessing the ‘blades are more consistent/accurate’ myth came from the same place as ‘sitting too close to the TV will make you go blind’. Regardless, odds are it’s not the clubs that are causing your woes but that may also depend on how you define “all over the place”.

Any set of irons on the market will provide you consistent distances if you hit it solid. Worst case the differences will be negligible at best, again if you are making center contact....If you are "all over the place" it is you and not the clubs.

Not the answer you want to hear, but many low indexes, scratches and even pros use SGI clubs...

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Which clubs are giving your trouble? The 8 iron and shorter don't have the cup face for spring effect so if those irons are problematic it's not due to spring effect throwing you off.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I think forgiving irons are vastly overrated. But you should check your swing first Have access to trackman? Is your angle of attack consistent?

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfKbkytvpmMVery small sample set so you could say it's slightly anecdotal, but these guys do great job of doing it by the numbers by using forged clubs they can set to the exact same specs. You can skip to 15:20 or so to see the overall numbers but the short version: both are relatively consistent, though the blades have a slightly lower standard deviation in spin numbers and slightly more consistent distance numbers--1 yard SD with the Miuras vs 3 with the Srixon. Even the "worse" offering of the Srixon isn't something that should be leaving you all over the place in terms of distances. If you're alternating between flying the green and coming up short again and again then it sounds like there's a swing fault that needs correcting unless you're playing some very old clubs made with poor QC during the casting or forging process.

Bought MP63 a year ago easy to hit no flyers Consistent Distances for sure.

Just bought bladed also and saturday practice balls lined up in a row left centre right all three at same distance....OK centre impact naturally

Lovin Them.....

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

This is my first year working with any type of radar, both an indoor facility and trackman with my teaching pro. One thing that has come to my attention is how although I am swinging 'full', I can easily not swing full speed if that makes sense. Same strike and path, but 5mph slower and voila, why did that 8i only go 143y? It was middled...oh right, look at the SS and most important, ball speed off club. The numbers don't lie. Dmn you trackman and your numbers. :D

I have to say my Ping G410 irons, and the G400 before them, go very consistent distances. Unless I hit it a really bad shot. Absolutely no complaints at all. And IMO, unless you nail a shot right out of the centre every time then cavity backs will beat blades every time on consistency, that’s what they’re designed to do, minimise inconsistency due to poor strikes.

This^ If you're getting inconsistent distances it's your strike, not the irons.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Thank you everyone for the responses. I'm completely comfortable with the idea that it's me and not the clubs. My thought is that as I improve my strike, the clusters would get tighter with more consistent irons.

What I meant by 'all over the place' is that there is a 20 yard dispersion in my distances at times, but the flights are the same. I've been using impact tape to see where I'm hitting the ball, and it's typically in the lower middle in the clubface.

If it helps, the source of this question was I hit Srixon 785s with midsized grips and stiff rifle shafts at 2nd Swing, and my dispersion was so much better. I went out to my car and got my clubs so I could test the two directly against one another. My CBXs produced their normal results and the Srixons stayed tight. I was probably in the bay (indoors with Trackman) for 45 mins lol. I actually switched my CBXs to midsized grips afterwards bc of the results, and I'm really happy with the change.

I've watched a lot of club reviews, both individual clubs and head to heads and I've yet to see where blades and more blade like irons have ever shown to be less consistent than GI irons. Most open with the reviewer talking about mishits and how the clubs aren't forgiving and then they drop them all on the green from 175 despite hitting them all over the face according to the software. I think the effect of mishits on blade like irons is massively overstated.

What shafts in CBX?

85gram traction? If so too lite for you quick

Guess.For me light = less control more dispersion.Simple.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Nothing with a speed pocket or any other tech in the face. I played 690 Mbs and knew what I was getting every time even though I only hit a 5 iron 190. Tried some r7 TPs and my 6 iron would go anywhere from 180-210 with spin i could never figure out. Play Miura CBs now and everything is predictable. Just get a solid hunk of metal with no bells and whistles and learn your ball flights with full swings, punch shots, draws/fades etc. Now if I could only find a driving iron/hybrid I love to bridge the massive gap between my irons and woods...

As an 8 handicap my irons distances are pretty consistent, but the inconsistencies are clearly about contact not the clubs.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

I've been down this road too many times and the end result is always buy a set of blades or minimal player's CBs. When well struck, a blade will pretty much give you the same numbers over and over. When playing GIs I have far too often suddenly found an extra 10 yards from a strike that feels no more pure than the one hit just before. I never airmail a green with my blades, but I have done it far too often with GIs in my hand. Anything with flex in the face runs that risk.

All that said - a bigger question is whether or not you would play better with GI vs Blades. Many would say you get less distance drop-off with a mishit GI, although I have not really found that to be true. I think a mishit blade will FEEL a lot worse than a mishit GI, but I have found the actual results to be similar. The more honest feedback you get from a blade will help you improve strike. I can totally understand not wanting to feel that though. Many just want to enjoy the game and not worry too much about strike. I often wish I could take that approach! lol.

It's also important to get the sole design and turf interaction right for your swing. A repeatably clean pass though impact can work wonders for consistency. Combine that with more centered strikes and it's birdie time :-) In other words try to go for a high quality iron fitting and see what they come up with for you. I once spent a couple hours outdoors with Cool Clubs at TPC Scottsdale and my distance dispersion with Miura blades was 4x tighter than the best we could get with GI. It was staggering really, and I have seen it again and again since. Every now and then of course I get sucked in by the 'forgiveness' of GI heads, only to switch back again within a season. I'll probably never learn ... :-)

Sorry OP, but swing and strike determine distance consistency, not iron head design. Outside factors like lie and wind will play a factor as well.

If you're determined, then to have piece of mind you'll want to move to a one-piece forged CB or MB. However, you'll still get carry inconsistencies because, again, it's the Indian and not the Arrow...

... As others have stated, if you are a consistent ball striker, any iron will produce consistent distances and dispersion. My P790's are just as accurate as my Z Forged. The difference for me is when missing the center, the p790's are more accurate and have a tighter dispersion compared to the same miss hits with my Z Forged. To be fair, I am not talking about a night and day difference, but one that is certainly noticeable.

... The above said, those with very high swing speeds will find more variance in distance control because there is more variance in their swing. This reminds me of a friend of mine that played with Tom Weiskopf in a Firestone Pro Am and warming up Kev was hitting his pw 150 and Tom was hitting his 135 but as Kev told me they were landing in an area the size of a hole hoop, while Kev's were all over the place. Kev said "Tom, you only hit your pw 130? Wow, I hit mine 150". Weiskopf replied "Well ... I can hit my pw 150 too, but then what would I do with my 9 iron? Iron play is about consistent distance, not maximum distance." Obviously there are a handful of guys that can hit their 7 iron 190 with a repeatable swing but they are very rare and most will hit a thin faced iron 180-200 our more. So like most things in golf there is not a one size fits all but a repeatable swing cures a lot of problems.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

I'm not arguing that ball striking doesn't have a major impact on dispersion, but club construction has to matter too. For instance, right now my CBX 7 iron with 30 degrees of loft goes about 160. The Titleist T200 7 iron that I borrowed from my pro shop is also 30 degrees, but only goes about 150, but has a much tighter dispersion. My thought is that whatever is giving me the 10 extra yards in the CBX might have something to do with the variance in dispersion I'm seeing, but I don't know enough about club construction to say for sure. Thoughts?

Unfortunately it could be a lot of things. Same shaft? Same grip size? Same playing length? Same swing weight? Lots of potential differences that may be influencing the results that may have nothing to do with the head. Without more detailed numbers (club specs, ball and club data) comparing the two results we can't do anything more than guess.