PGA Championship may move due to coronavirus

monty09

No medical expert here.

But isn’t stuff like this “supposed” to make its way around and help with natural development of immunities, etc.?

We aren’t talking “deadly” virus like a real deadly virus (but it’s a matter of definition).

Just publish guidelines, track, give people facts and maybe dominoes quit falling - but that cat seems to be out of the bag.

People can make informed decisions and good choices.

Not going to argue. If not attending large events with thousands of people concentrated in one place is a real strategy recommended by the CDC, I'm all for it. I don't care that much about golf tournaments or basketball. But plenty of examples of things going to extremes right now in the short run and in the long run?????? Gonna have the shut downs every time a case pops up, because that will just keep happening or so it certainly seems.

No idea on the numbers, and small sample size and incidence in Italy out of 60 million +, and add how many cases to that number cases of people walking around perfectly fine with the virus and not tested because they have no apparent reason to be or don't know they might have somehow come in contact in some remote way and that ratio of dead people changes dramatically downward. Just talking numbers, not suggesting tragic outcomes are anything but tragic.

Not pretending to have the answers, but will agree it will be argued 24/7 for the next year? Or two because we think we are containing something and that strategy may be flawed for any number of reasons? Or correct?

Random thoughts, no basis in science and I will not share any more, sorry - Stenson is on PGA Tour Live this afternoon and I'm afraid I've crossed the line into politics and this whole thing is way too politicized right now, IMO.

• Like 1

I'm a mutant ; )

I ve been kind of wait and see since it hasn't blown up in NYC, which is a bit strange. But check this out (early study), if this is the case, then maybe it's good to stay home next week....

Coronavirus may be most infectious when symptoms are mildest, small study finds Coronavirus may be most infectious when symptoms are mildest, small study finds

In Quebec we have only 13 cases and our Covid hotline (the only way we can self report and seek treatment options, since we arent allowed to go to just any hospital) has already crashed.

We are so comically unprepared here, because we think it just wont come here.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Doing some more digging the first 2 cases in Italy were Chinese tourists in Rome on Jan 31st with a 3rd found the next day. Then there was a lull until they discovered 17 cases in Lombardy on Feb 21st. That Lombardy cluster is the one that exploded for whatever reasons.

For comparison in the US we had a confirmed case in Washington on Jan 21st and didn't have another confirmed case in WA until Feb 28th. A lot of that probably has to do with our limited testing capacity. Now we have 30 deaths there and 373 confirmed cases. The USA total is 1,508 and 40 deaths.

If you guys want to see the tracker worldometer is the best one I know of. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Augusta with no fans is going to be sort of cool to watch. I'd be bummed if I had tickets, but the last time no fans were at an event, Tiger dominated the ZoZo.

Driver: SIM2 - 10.5* - Accra Tour Z RPG 462 M5+

4W: Sim Ti - 17* - UST Proforce 8F5

3 Iron: Titleist u500 - Pro White 100x / 7 wood: Epic - 21* - GD TP 8TX

4-PW - Mizuno 921T - C-Taper 130x

Wedges - Vokey SM8 - 50.12F, 54.10S, 60.12D - TT S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X7

Ball: ProV1

As usual with this country, the pendulum has swung too far with everyone racing to be first to cancel all this stuff.

Can't wait to see the backlash start in about a week, as basically all entertainment options for anyone are now gone for the foreseeable future. This stuff all sounds good and makes you look like "you care", but in the end all you're doing is destroying the country. Its economy. Its people. Millions of people in the entertainment, service, and travel/leisure industries will now be out of business or unemployed because of the collective freak-out. And I'm not talking about the pro sports leagues.

All over a respiratory virus that has killed 38 people in the USA.

Well done everyone!

• Like 1

Every expert disagrees with you. Not talking about CNN, FOX or MSNBC reporters....Experts on infectious disease are all recommending the things we are doing, often they are recommending more than what we are doing.

I think they are probably right.

If this only kills 38 people in the USA. I would love nothing more than to tell you that you were right. Some of the accounts I have read about italy, are frightening.

Given the market rebound after SARS and H1N1, I think it will recover from this too. If we can save 200k lives or more...why not try

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Riddle me this.

lady at my wife’s office was in Mexico for a week. Comes back and has cold symptoms. She calls in today to let her supervisor know that. ( she hadn’t been back in the office ). Supervisor tells her she must be tested before returning. She goes and is tested. Test is negative. She is told she has a cold. But. Is told to self quarantine for 14 days. Which she is doing.

are the tests faulty ? Or untested tests ? Or is this just extreme caution ?

and if this is the case all over. The numbers are skewed with lots who don’t have it.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Of course the medical experts on TV are going to agree with what we are doing. The media WILL NOT PUT ON medical experts that will disagree with that point - of which there are many - because it doesnt fit the narrative. As I stated in an earlier post, I know two medical professionals in my local hospital who are out and out stunned at the overreaction to this virus.

This has more to do than just the market crashing. The travel/leisure/hospitality industry in the US is 10% of the GDP of this nation. 10%. SImply put, with every professional sports league, entertainment venue, etc. canceling events and postponing others to dates unknown, there is absolutely NO chance this country DOESNT go into recession. None. Millions of people are going to lose their jobs. Businesses will be closing, and the big ones are RIGHT NOW putting re-structuring plans in place for the huge cuts they will have to make entering the summer. Instead of having calm heads, figuring out how best to manage this virus while being able to go on with daily lives, the media stoked a panic due to things going on in other countries. What's going on in Italy is tragic. But at the same time, America is NOT Italy....from demographics to population density and everything in between. We cant use what is happening to Italy and project that the same things will happen here. Italy is being ravaged first and foremost because of its connection to China in travel....and second, because of the fact that they are the oldest nation in the world, with a quarter of its population over 65. The problem here is that in a politicized nation in an election year, this situation is now almost guaranteed to be carried all the way to November, so if anything the hysteria is going to get worse.

Im not naive enough to say that nobody else will die in America due to the virus. But thousands of people die every day in this country from illness - Pneumonia. Tuberculosis. The common flu. Cancer-related illness. We dont shut down the worlds biggest economy because of those things. In the end, through all the hysteria and panic, this virus is still just a respiratory illness, and a very mild one. H1N1 infected 50+ million people and killed tens of thousands in America back in 09 and there wasnt this level of panic and hysteria. The markets reacted and the economy slowed but we didnt just shut everything down and hunker into our basements like it was the black plague. We still lived our lives.

I have no problems with the travel ban. I have no problems quarantining the areas hardest affected. I have problems with people not being able to determine on their own whether or not to partake in the types of events being canceled. If you dont feel safe at a PGA Tour event, stay home. If you dont feel safe in a basketball arena, stay home. If you dont feel safe at a concert venue, stay home. But dont let your panic and hysteria affect the millions of people who depend on these types of jobs for their living.

If Im wrong, Ill come back here and say Im wrong. If this thing kills 200k people, it will be one of the biggest virus outbreaks in the last century. But I also trust that the American people can make the right decisions for themselves, and the medical professionals in this country will prevent this virus from turning into some sort of doomsday scenario.

Tonight, I feel bad not for the folks who contract the virus, because chances are 99% of them will be OK. But 10% of the population is going to have their lives turned upside down, and quite soon, and we wont be suffering from virus worries come the summer. We'll be suffering from a major economic downturn that will be ravaging all of us. All because of a respiratory illness.

• Like 1

If you think about the amount of profit lost over the cancellations, you may rescind your comment.

The NCAA tournament alone brings in nearly a billion dollars. I don't feel as if this is a PR stunt. Even Disneyland is shutting down beginning this weekend. How much do people spend on a trip to the happiest place on earth with their families? How much do you think the average hotel room is per night in the Disneyland area, especially during spring break time?