2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Europe ban and the Masters

garrifij

They also like China have a much higher percentage of smokers.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

If you want good info that is not politically charged, go to the below site. It is just simple numbers. To me it makes it far less scary. Still very serious but less scary.

https://covid19info.live/

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

You cannot pick one statistical outlier to justify mass panic. If you want to do that, lets look at South Korea. 66 deaths in 7869 cases. That is 0.8%.

The global numbers are around 3.6%, and those numbers are most likely conservative considering the number of people who do not get tested that could have it. Those numbers are based on confirmed cases. The fact remains, it is no different than any other viral illness in that the vast majority of people who contract it will also get over it. Those who are elderly & immuno compromised are at the greatest risk. Additionally, the vast majority of cases are in 4 countries. If a person wants to avoid mass gatherings to reduce chances of contracting it, go for it. But cancelling everything as a knee jerk reaction? As mentioned, the economic implications will be FAR greater than the effect on global human health.

Wash your hands regularly, especially before you touch your face or food, cover your mouth if you cough or sneeze. You know, things people should be doing anyway?

• Like 2

Any time!! Right now it at little off as they are d duplicating the numbers for China.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Yeah, blade, you got it. This is where, hopefully, we can be prepared for.....the next one. The executive leadership of the US, China, Euro, India, etc need to get their acts together on managing these events. With all of the tech and data, imagine if China had been forthcoming and global leadership coordinated properly? There wouldn't be this panic.

First and foremost is the cost to lives and safety. But If nothing else, these people should appreciate the financial impact, the affect on earnings and growth is now slammed due to the delay in managing this properly.

Even 1% is one out of 100 dead. That's nothing like the flu.

And There shouldn't and wouldn't have been this panic, loss/potential loss of life, if this had been handled properly to begin with.

And I agree on the economic impact. But, again, if this had been handled properly by leadership, it would have been far less. There was complete non-chalance for too long and it is now making the hit much harder than it should have been.

Maybe you should understand why the death rate is higher in Italy than, say, the US. Or South Korea. Or even China. It has nothing to do with the virus itself...it has to do with the age of the person infected. A quarter of the population in Italy is over 65. From the beginning, the CDC has outlined that the vast majority of people are of low risk to even contract the virus, and even if they do, have nothing more than mild flu-like symptoms. The people most at risk are older people or people with pre-existing medical conditions or weakened immune systems (i.e. older people. Smokers. People already with respiratory issues.)

If youre 60 or younger, the mortality rate for COVID-19 is well under 1%. But this is something the media will not tell you, because it doesn't fill the panic narrative they need to have to keep people breathlessly watching the TV.

• Like 1

Yes, I understand this. And myself and the rest of the packed subway in NYC understands it as well. But,

Here is the President's own guy, Dr. Fauci,

“is 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu — you got to make sure that people understand that.”

So, First, even a 1% mortality rate is nuts. Imagine 50,000 people walk into a ball game and 500 die. Or is it fine because most of them were over 60?

Second, this event demonstrates how unprepared the world is to handle this. What happens in the future if/when something even more severe occurs? We going to do the exact same thing again? "Just wash your hands"?

Each day wasted compounded the effect. Had this been handled properly from the get go, you wouldn't be looking at this type of human and economic impact.

A large part of the risk you're missing, if the virus runs rampant, is overwhelming the capacity of our medical system. If people can't get care people will die or be irreparably harmed. This includes those needing care unrelated to the virus. Social distancing is one key way to flattening the curve (as the cdc calls it).

Before you continue to be so cavalier about this virus you may want to listen to the likes of Dr. Fauci from the cdc.

• Like 1

What am I being cavalier about?

I have/am listening to the CDC. Right now, a healthy person has a better chance of getting in a car accident and dying on the way to the hospital than contracting COVID-19 and dying from it. Why is that me being "cavalier" about it? Its the truth.

Seriously...what am I supposed to be so petrified about that I (or anyone else for that matter) has to put their life on hold for this? You can take the virus seriously while at the same time not have everything in your life basically be canceled due to a respiratory virus. The facts are that a miniscule portion of the US population is being affected by this right now. Maybe that changes in a couple of weeks. But you know what? Maybe it doesn't. Maybe the population, makeup, and overall health of the American population, along with the strength of the medical community in this nation, will make this virus have very little affect at all in THIS country.

To your point about the medical system - this is the media's fault fanning the flames of this panic in order to get more people watching/clicking/reading them. I know very well a pair of RN's at my local hospital, and they have both told me they are shocked at the level of overreaction towards this virus. The media is so hysterical over this that they seem to think that anyone should just be able to walk in and demand a test for this, whether your symptomatic or not.

And the other thing that is not being talked about, now that things are being canceled left and right - at what point is it "okay" to resume normal life again? When new virus cases reach zero? And who decides such things? Its easy to cancel stuff now, with the weather bad in most of the nation still. In a month from now, the weather gets better, its nicer out, and people want to be outside....take vacations. Participate in sports. Live their daily lives.

Serious question - what should have been done by the American government to "handle" this better? This virus has been in the open for 3 months and roughly 1,300 people in a country of 350 million have been documented to be infected. The couple of areas that have community spread are quarantined. I mean....what else is there supposed to be done?

If you spend your life doing nothing but worrying about "what if's" or doomsday scenarios, that's an existence that doesn't sound fun at all. I realize the public in general has a fascination with "end of the world" scenarios, but come on.

Yep. Agree. And I don’t understand demonizing folks for not pushing the fear herd mentality.

you can absolutely adhere to caution, protocol , and not run around like a scared rabbit Telling everyone how bad it will get and all. Truth is undeniable , We don’t know. And fear won’t make it less. Nobody is advocating for head in the sand approach. We just are sick of the news narrative that usually only spreads fear through bias. I watched an hour of talk about it this morning. Not one quote or mention from an actual disease expert. Sure those opinions are out there. But not on main media. Just talking idiots spreading the “ message “.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I imagine the goal is to prevent the number of cases from doubling every few days which is what seems to happen if no measures are taken. Clearly, if you can do that with cases in the low thousands, it's going to be much better than if the number of cases reaches 10,000 since, unchecked, you could bet to millions infected and total overun of the hospital system within months.

So, once the "curve flattens", I'd think they can look a "normal life" again ; )

"I know very well a pair of RN's at my local hospital, and they have both told me they are shocked at the level of overreaction towards this virus."

My wife is an RN at a major hospital system, and the things she has been telling me would blow your mind at the level of stupidity amongst people. Pure ignorance and lack of desire for education are a massive problem. The information is out there that will put people, and markets, at ease. Unfortunately, the information blasted out by the media is only the worst snips, as always, so the general population who relies on mainstream media for all of their information are doing exactly what they are being told to do: panic.

"Its easy to cancel stuff now, with the weather bad in most of the nation still."

South by Southwest in Austin has been cancelled for the first time in 35 years of it's existence. Houston Rodeo has been cancelled for the first time in nearly 100 years of it's existence. Between those 2 being cancelled, there are literally people who will not be able to keep a roof over their heads.

I think I addressed this in my post above. It's very good that cases are at this level and we should be fine. But, make no mistake, unchecked, very possible to have cases double every 4-6 days and be looking at 100,000s + of cases within months.

As far as spending my life worrying, as mentioned, I'm on a packed subway every day and a crowded gym every night ; )

• Like 1

yep. I have similar ties to healthcare and same exact things being said here. The idea that anyone thinks that healthy younger people are dying of this if receiving US level care , is nuts. You haven’t been involved in any pulmonary care. they very commonly keep very elederly people alive on the Vent for months while administering treatments to help the lungs catch up and clean out. I know how many elderly go into the hospital For unrelated issues , catch pneumonia and never get out of the bed again. They don’t crash markets worrying about those elderly. Why do it now ?

I guess they need a good buying opportunity now and then though. Plenty will make a lot after the rebound.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I will be shocked if the Masters is played without fans. Either it's played with fans, or its not played at all.

The Masters isn't a PGA Tour sanctioned event, so they can do what they want. Perhaps they'll actually be some of the sane adults in the room and allow their event to go on without stoking fear that the grim reaper will be standing outside the gates taking patrons left and right as they exit.