2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MattM97's WITB: 2024 Ball Testing, Bag Prep and Training.

My season is pretty much here, well I was supposed to play tomorrow but I had to cancel on my buddies cause I'm not feeling great, may be the rona will see. But my bag is pretty much set for 2022 minus putter, I'm still waiting on the new driver to arrive and I have to order the new wedges so that will take a while sadly, just putting money aside and getting some stuff ready to sell to offset cost as much as I can.

Putters I'll just rotate a bit until I find one I'm hot/most confident with, just got my newest one and one other is being completed. Who knows what else I'll order during the year, have to scratch that itch every now and then.

The one question mark for me lately has been my ball of choice, if you go back a few pages you'll see I tested a lot well I narrowed that down, being a higher spin player I need a bit lower spin of a ball and not liking softer balls kinda puts me into an X category for most brands. I have narrowed down my options to the following:

* Bridgestone Tour B X (Previous Gen)

* Srixon Z-Star XV (Current Gen)

* Callaway Chrome Soft X LS (Previous Gen)

* Callaway Chrome Soft X (Previous Gen)

Some are going to ask about other balls and here are a few that fit into what I'm looking for and why they're not in:

* Pro V1X - Too much spin in the irons.

* AVX - Too soft

* Pro V1X Left Dash - Can only order from Titleist and shipping cost pushes a dozen close to $100 Canadian. That's too much for a test box, would probably be a good contender.

* TP5X - Haven't like the recent versions, love the 2017 and the 2019 was solid but the 2021 was just off for me.

* Snell MTB Black - Snell doesn't have enough balls to supply Snell Canada with balls for 2022 so would have to order from the US which is $$$

I think that covers most I believe, just down to 4, I like them all not sure what will be my "baseline" ball in all this I may just grab and go each round and just make notes where I can and see if anything stands out more than others, if not may just come down to putter feel and cost.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

• 2 weeks later...

Well I guess my bag is set but not how I wanted it to be, I'm still waiting on the new driver to come in but that's going right into the bag. I was just getting some extra funds together to order my SM9 wedges but apparently I won't get them until August. So rather than pay like 1K Canadian and wait until then I'm just going to pause my purchase cause I have other things to spend my money on non golf related things as well. But since Titleist Canada isn't far from me I'll book and outdoor wedge fitting with them and see if they fit me into the same thing or something completely different and then order those then and there or just wait until back end of the season.

So when the driver arrives I'll post a new WITB pic and maybe I'll do a video on my Instagram page, easier than typing all the info out.

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 3/12/2020 at 10:37 PM, MattM97 said:

Like everyone else I'm here to share what's in my bag. I want to do a bit more as well by showing off where I'm starting as my 2020 bag isn't fully set, what I'm thinking of changing, my fitting, what I end up with and how it plays/played. I may go through more about myself but that might take away from the whole WITB theme.

My 2019 WITB before 2020 fitting: Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° - No Hosel Adjustment - Weight in Draw - Ping Tour 60S - GP 360 Tour Velvet Cord Midsize.Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° - Set in Draw - Weight in Back - Tensei 65S - Trimmed tip and butt - MCC+4 MidsizeHybrid: Ping G410 - 19° - Set to Flat - Alta CB 70R - MCC+4 MidsizeIrons: 4i to 7i Srixon 585 - AMT Tour White S300 - 1/2" Length - MCC+4 Midsize8i to PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300 - 1/2" Length - MCC+4 MidsizeWedges: Forget which shaft, believe it's a Dynamic Gold Stiff, shafts are unbanded. - +1/2" Length - MCC+4 MidsizeCallaway Mack Daddy 3 - 51°Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 56°Ping Glide - 60°Ball - Various mostly X models, went back and forth between Srixon Z-Star XV and TP5X.Putter: Edel E-3 - 36" - 150g counter balance (50g in handle, 100g grip) - Flat Cat Tak Standard - Installed sideways for claw grip.

3XFFPJJBRZPW.jpg

5AFZL2ACZBOW.jpgWhat I plan to change:Driver: The head is staying, I love the 410 Plus from the look at address, the sound, how it controls my spin and obviously the forgiveness. I'm looking at changing out the shaft, when I did my fitting last year I did a lot and well dropping extra cash for a shaft wasn't in the cards. Luckily this stock shaft actually fit me quite well so we didn't have to worry much, but I'm going back for a fitting and testing some shafts won't take long. I'm mainly looking for something I can step on the gas more, I don't feel like I can go all out with this shaft when I'm feeling good.What will go in? Well I'll leave it mainly up to my fitter, they know more than me, I just give feedback when swinging. We know the Accra TZ5 and TZ6 are front runners but something else could perform better or the current shaft. There are a few shaft that I do want to try but who knows.Fairway: This club I have a huge love/hate relationship with, some days I can't miss and will use over the driver even if my driver is good then there are days I can hardly hit this thing especially when I need it. I need more consistency with my fairway especially especially on short par 4s and reachable par 5s. The other issue is this thing is a missile, it's low and piercing flight, great off the tee, absolutely useless into greens unless they're super soft.What will go in? I haven't tested much in store as I can't find a head and shaft setup I like so I'll wait until I'm getting fitted. I have looked at a lot at address and really like the look of the SIM, coming in behind is Maverick and ST200 line. But everything the fitter hands me will be tested and this category is the biggest mystery for me in what I'll end up with.Hybrid: Not going to sugar coat it but I don't hit hybrids well, don't like the look of most at address, I also hit my irons way better and further.What will go in? I'm thinking of ditching hybrids, I'm sure I'll test a few but I'm leaning towards a driving/utility iron. I might just go with a hollow body iron like the P790 or Cobra Forged Tech in a 3i. I have enough height with my irons I don't have to worry much about stopping power but it's more for fairway finders on tight holes I can't hit a wood on and other situations where I need to go ~210-220 in the air. I think that's good for now, I'll continue next post with what I might change in my bag, why and what I'm looking at.

Obviously I'll answer any questions or anything like that on my bag, why I'm doing what I'm doing with changing certain clubs and all that jazz. Shoot you can ask me almost anything if you want.

I see you have "ole bluey" like Rick Shiels lol

16 y/o 2 HCP

Taylormade Sim 2 Max 9° - LA Golf Bryson Signature Series 65g Shaft 

Taylormade Sim Max 3 Wood - Mitsubishi Diamana FW Limited 75 X Flex

Callaway Mavrik 4 Hybrid - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Orange 65 X Flex

Mizuno MP20 4i-P  - Dynamic Gold S300

Titleist SM8 52, 55, 58 (54 degree bent 1 degree flat) - LA Golf L-Series Shaft

Black Lab BL - 1 

Sun Mountain Metro Stand Bag and Bushnell Pro X-E 

29 minutes ago, nikemojo said:

I see you have "ole bluey" like Rick Shiels lol

Had, that was my original WITB that wood is long gone and replaced with the Ping G410 LST. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

33 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Had, that was my original WITB that wood is long gone and replaced with the Ping G410 LST. 

I see, my apologies; didn't pay attention to the date.

16 y/o 2 HCP

Taylormade Sim 2 Max 9° - LA Golf Bryson Signature Series 65g Shaft 

Taylormade Sim Max 3 Wood - Mitsubishi Diamana FW Limited 75 X Flex

Callaway Mavrik 4 Hybrid - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Orange 65 X Flex

Mizuno MP20 4i-P  - Dynamic Gold S300

Titleist SM8 52, 55, 58 (54 degree bent 1 degree flat) - LA Golf L-Series Shaft

Black Lab BL - 1 

Sun Mountain Metro Stand Bag and Bushnell Pro X-E 

58 minutes ago, nikemojo said:

I see, my apologies; didn't pay attention to the date.

No worries I should really update the first page with my current WITB which I should do after my driver arrives, wedges will be later. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Small bag update, went in to get my lofts and lies checked today, first time they've been checked since I got them back in oh winter 2019 I believe it was, luckily they were not out of whack but the numbers said I needed to go ever more upright, I was originally 2° upright and I'm a bit more now, didn't ask probably 3° now maybe 4°. My swing kinda sucks right now, trying to get the hips more active and clear them but causing me to swing up on the ball and also my club path still sucks. It's quite hard to get those hands in to out when you're fat.

But good news I have some nice consistent 10 yard gaps on my irons and they were pretty much bang on of my estimates so no ego numbers for me. The bad maybe a bit too much spin but that could be from my AOA which was 2° and just causing insane peak heights, but I think that will come down when I get my in season swing going.

Final piece of good news all my driver components are in and in the build queue and should have it next week, sadly don't get it for my scramble tournament so I'll be the one green lighting my partners with my 3W off the tee all day.

Oh yeah and my final putter from the great putter haul of 2021 is almost done and heading to me.

Lefty - WITB Thread

10 hours ago, MattM97 said:

My swing kinda sucks right now, trying to get the hips more active and clear them but causing me to swing up on the ball and also my club path still sucks. It's quite hard to get those hands in to out when you're fat. 

I feel your pain buddy i am in the same boat. But I went to a demo day and I was supersized that my Angle of Attack with the driver was 0.5 up I sure thought I was hitting down on the ball then swing up on it. But I as well have to learn to start clearing the hips first then the hands on the down swing.

WHATS IN THE BAG 2024

DRIVER - TAYLORMADE M5 9* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE GREEN 70 6.5

3WOOD- TAYLORMADE M6 15* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80 6.5

DRIVING IRON- TAYLORMADE SIM UDI #2 MITSUBISHI DIAMANA THUMP HYBRID 100 XSTIFF

3-PW- MIZUNO MP-53 DYNAMIC GOLD S300

WEDGES- TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 53*S /58*S DYNAMIC GOLD WEDGE

PUTTER- PING G2 ANSER 33.5"  PING PP58 MIDSIZE 

BALL- 21 TAYLORMADE TP5X / 23 SRIXON Z STAR

GRIPS- GOLF PRIDE TOUR VELVET PLUS 4 STANDARD

1 hour ago, Shanks2424 said:

I feel your pain buddy i am in the same boat. But I went to a demo day and I was supersized that my Angle of Attack with the driver was 0.5 up I sure thought I was hitting down on the ball then swing up on it. But I as well have to learn to start clearing the hips first then the hands on the down swing.

I'm not too worried, it will come back as I play more, my body gets used to swinging again, maybe toss in a lesson or two and more time in the gym I should clean things up. I did have a better swing path and AOA but I'm just a bit sore and tight right now, but for the most part ball is sorta controlled so I can live with that.  

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 4 weeks later...

Let's finally show off my 2022 WITB setup, as mentioned before I would have liked to do wedges but supply chain and I'll do a fitting outside at Titleist Canada later this summer. 

I'll also get some nicer pics eventually but this does the job, I also did a video on my Instagram page if you want a bit better view of it. 

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS - 8°D - Mitsubishi C6 Onyx 60X

3 Wood: Ping G410 LST - 13.5° - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X 

Hybrid: Ping G410 - 19° - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i-7i Srixon Z585 8i-PW Srixon Z785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: Callaway MD3 52° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°

Putter: Still haven't quite decided, honestly I roll most of them quite similar it just comes down to mood, course and conditions. 

Ball: Another category I still haven't quite landed on but will update when I do. 

20220520_094341-01.jpeg.ca2fe183bb111938b047a1613fec13cf.jpeg

20220520_094821-01.jpeg.806fdd852ba1d88ba89d9ab0a1ae3574.jpeg

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CdyG5hXAdxn/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edited by MattM97
  • Like 3

Lefty - WITB Thread

• MattM97 changed the title to MattM97's WITB the 2022 Setup on Page 4

Sweet setup Matt, look forward to hearing how they all work out for you!

Interesting that you ended up with different shafts in your Driver, 3W, and Hybrid? Is that how the results panned out in your fitting, or how did you end up deciding on those particular shafts?

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

6 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Sweet setup Matt, look forward to hearing how they all work out for you!

Interesting that you ended up with different shafts in your Driver, 3W, and Hybrid? Is that how the results panned out in your fitting, or how did you end up deciding on those particular shafts?

I literally just told the fitters to find the best thing for me but I don't remember if I tried the same shafts but what I ended up in definitely stand out and were not really that expensive except that hybrid shaft, I'm glad it was just that one and not in my woods.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Sweet James putter… big baller status there 🤣

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

2 hours ago, Phabs said:

Sweet James putter… big baller status there 🤣

Hell of a birthday/Christmas gift to me and first round I was awesome with it. Didn't sink many cause my approach game was poop.

Lefty - WITB Thread

21 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Hell of a birthday/Christmas gift to me and first round I was awesome with it. Didn't sink many cause my approach game was poop.

For sure.  They’ll be prying my compass tiger rep out of my cold dead hands at this point 

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

23 minutes ago, Phabs said:

For sure.  They’ll be prying my compass tiger rep out of my cold dead hands at this point 

I need to find a putter that is the one for me until then just a few more to the collection and I'll find the one, I swear lol.

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 1 month later...

I got this putter a few weeks back, haven't had a chance to roll it since I went on vacation but thinking it will go into play now. Not too different from what I've setup wise just a small alignment change, my putting this year has been ok I guess. I haven't seen much drop but I haven't had bad putting rounds besides 1 really bad one. 

I probably need my approach and wedge game to improve to see some better opportunities to make some putts, but just want that extra confidence on the greens cause it's a good security blanket for my game. 

20220621_183359-01.jpeg.97629ba89eadc2f70564381286e84004.jpeg20220621_183530-01.jpeg.c89fc1e999f3617b23c622501964546a.jpeg20220621_183608-01.jpeg.049a18751f33a44f6ca93755c00fc73e.jpeg20220621_183550-01.jpeg.073e387f516edd18a2c9b4bb7286de05.jpeg20220621_183630-01.jpeg.6614c43fec272b8752c95a85db4f4b88.jpeg

• Like 3

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, juddrussell said:

That is a sweet flat stick @MattM97

Thanks I still haven't taken it out, this weekend I have a time booked and maybe a few more if I can get something setup. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

20 hours ago, juddrussell said:

Heck yea, I always see your BST posts and love for putters.  I try and not look at your posts so I don’t automatically drain my bank account lol

Luckily my putter stash has dried up a bit. But not completely dry I will have something up for whenever I decide to do my next custom. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

4 minutes ago, juddrussell said:

@MattM97 did you hang on to that miura or end up selling?

The Miura I sold, basically all plumber necks were sold from my collection, they just don't work for me. I got another plumbers neck putter and same thing. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

My game is in a weird spot, I'm doing a lot of things well but giving up a lot of shots near the green. Not really going to plan any changes may do that Titleist wedge fitting sooner than later. But for fun snagged this Adams MB2 3 iron I'll need to shaft up and give a try. 

Honestly this is more for range fun and men's league where I mainly practice than play. Why did I get this? Always wanted to try an MB2 and a blade just didn't expect it to be a 3i. 

20220803_172803.jpg.879b94ee501b3ce0a3c09fe98b95fed8.jpg

20220803_173000.jpg.a062dbaf3af68a06931d5cbbfa52ad76.jpg

20220803_173006.jpg.8d237ee15735a4fbfbb582ee6762fb5c.jpg

I already stripped the patina and going to strip the paint and redo that. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

17 hours ago, MattM97 said:

My game is in a weird spot, I'm doing a lot of things well but giving up a lot of shots near the green. Not really going to plan any changes may do that Titleist wedge fitting sooner than later. But for fun snagged this Adams MB2 3 iron I'll need to shaft up and give a try. 

Honestly this is more for range fun and men's league where I mainly practice than play. Why did I get this? Always wanted to try an MB2 and a blade just didn't expect it to be a 3i. 

20220803_172803.jpg.879b94ee501b3ce0a3c09fe98b95fed8.jpg

20220803_173000.jpg.a062dbaf3af68a06931d5cbbfa52ad76.jpg

20220803_173006.jpg.8d237ee15735a4fbfbb582ee6762fb5c.jpg

I already stripped the patina and going to strip the paint and redo that. 

MB2 is the definition of an underrated, modern classic. Used to get rave reviews and I still see it in bags from time to time

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

15 minutes ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

MB2 is the definition of an underrated, modern classic. Used to get rave reviews and I still see it in bags from time to time

Definitely my pick for an underrated cult classic iron, I've also mentioned the CMB being well ahead of the time as well for club weighting. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, bsuwara said:

Will be interesting to hear what you think of the MB2 … Adams was really on a roll until TM absorbed them …

Probably won't be for a bit, still have to order a shaft, get it built up and hope there's time to hit it outside but already have someone asking to buy it to complete their set so....not sure what I'll do. I know I want to hit it at least once but is that worth the price of the build and new shaft??? 

Probably should focus on my actual bag vs fun items cause my game needs to focus more for sure. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Back to the ball hunt at the top of page 4 I narrowed it down to 4 different balls:

* Bridgestone Tour B X 

* Srixon Z-Star XV

* Callaway Chrome Soft X 

* Callaway Chrome Soft XLS

I've noticed a lack of green side control lately, could be my delivery so I need a shake up in the ball department (phrasing lol) to hold more greens and less frustration. As much as I like the Z-Star XV I think that ball is out, flies a bit too high and not holding greens like I like, I do have a bunch of the Z-Star so could try those but they are a bit too soft for my liking. I was playing the Chrome Soft XLS and while I really like that ball from the tee to approach I could hold even less lately than the XV so sadly this ball is out at the moment, still have a few boxes to use.

That leaves the Chrome Soft X and the Bridgestone Tour B X, I haven't played much of either but decided to play the CSX in my last round and really enjoyed it, did a lot of similar as the X LS at just a hair lower window wise but I was holding greens on approach shots and wedge shots were very controllable and just lead to better putt opportunities so I think this ball may shoot up to the main ball, I just don't think I have any left. 

The last is the Bridgestone and I honestly don't think I've played this ball yet despite having a lot of them, but I'm going to give it a chance my next round and see if it's at least similar to the CSX and I'll use that for now, if not will pick up more CSX balls. 

Other than that like before I don't know what else to try, do I bring in the Wilson Staff Model again? I liked that but it may just be a bit too spinny. I still don't think anything Titleist offers works for me especially now. TaylorMade I have a ton of practice balls which I use for league night or lazy rounds and I'm just not enjoying the durability and height of the ball too so don't want to try more of those honestly. What's left at this point? 

Finding a ball you like is hard when you can't sit and grind all day. I did try Ballnamic but because I'm in Canada I cannot pay for it, do dumb  

Lefty - WITB Thread

I played the B X for a stint last summer and it spun way too much for me off mid irons. Went back to the BXS which seems counter productive but that ball works better for me than anything else 

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

• MattM97 changed the title to MattM97's WITB: 2024 Ball Testing, Bag Prep and Training.