MattM97's WITB: 2024 Ball Testing, Bag Prep and Training.

Wedges finally in the bag, just have to learn my gapping with them and get a better feel with them on the course. 

20230506_093634.jpg.69a1d22f17427a00f6d4651af60c1291.jpg

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Lovr the grinding on the 58 and the stamping.. looks great 👍 

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*, UST Attas Prototype DK 7x 44.5"

5wood: Ping G400 16.5*, Ping Tour 7x 42"

2iron: Srixon ZX 18* , Aerotech steelfiber i95s, 1* Flat standard Length.

3hybrid: Ping G410 20* Flat, Fujikura 2.0 8x

4&5irons: Ping i200 , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

6-pw: Ping i Blade , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 52* & 58* , Aerotech Steelfiber i95s. 1*Flat

Putter: Nike Method 001 "Oven" flowneck.

Grips: Lamkin UTX 

Ball: Vice Pro Plus (white & Neon yellow)

10 hours ago, Longballjock said:

Lovr the grinding on the 58 and the stamping.. looks great 👍 

Thanks found this set used and a good price, the 58 wasn't my spec but a simple grind change got to the grind I needed and was cheap. Plus I figured I'm getting one ground might as well have some fun and stamp the wedges. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Put in a booking request for an iron and wood fitting. Waiting to hear back to see when they have an opening and will go from there, my iron list right now is long but that's the whole point of the fitting. I don't think I could go wrong with all of the options out there today, the shaft will be the biggest question mark for me right now. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

3 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Put in a booking request for an iron and wood fitting. Waiting to hear back to see when they have an opening and will go from there, my iron list right now is long but that's the whole point of the fitting. I don't think I could go wrong with all of the options out there today, the shaft will be the biggest question mark for me right now. 

Good luck, hopefully it’s not too long of a wait. I’m sure bookings have slowed down since COVID though.

Are you going to TXG or Modern Golf?

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

57 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Good luck, hopefully it’s not too long of a wait. I’m sure bookings have slowed down since COVID though.

Are you going to TXG or Modern Golf?

Actually they have 3 appointments open within the next 2 weeks. I think I'm going to book the week of the Canadian open just to give me a bit of time to get some swings in.

Sticking with my guys at TXG and doing the outdoor fitting at the Pulpit Club cause want to see and outdoor fitting and get to do it at a private club as well.

I did put Ian as one of my fitters I'd like to get fit by so will see if I get him or the fitter I did my driver and wedge fitting with who I was happy with.

• Like 3

Lefty - WITB Thread

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

Actually they have 3 appointments open within the next 2 weeks. I think I'm going to book the week of the Canadian open just to give me a bit of time to get some swings in.

Sticking with my guys at TXG and doing the outdoor fitting at the Pulpit Club cause want to see and outdoor fitting and get to do it at a private club as well.

I did put Ian as one of my fitters I'd like to get fit by so will see if I get him or the fitter I did my driver and wedge fitting with who I was happy with.

I envy you. 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

6 minutes ago, Phabs said:

I envy you. 

At the end of the day I'm still gonna be trying to break 80, just with a shiny new set of irons I spent a lot of money on. 

Not much to be envious about outside the experience. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Just now, MattM97 said:

At the end of the day I'm still gonna be trying to break 80, just with a shiny new set of irons I spent a lot of money on. 

Not much to be envious about outside the experience. 

Still nice to have access to that level of fitting talent. 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

1 minute ago, Phabs said:

Still nice to have access to that level of fitting talent. 

It is I just have to make the most of it. First few fittings it was me kinda getting into the sport more. The last fitting with driver and wedges definitely seeing improvement and confidence. 

I hope this fitting really gets my game going and builds that extra confidence I need on the course. Then this game should get fun. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Fitting is booked for June 8th. Have a brush up lesson this weekend and just need to get reps in after that until the fitting. My swing has felt better recently just need that external reassurance that it's going well and just keep swinging. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Fitting got bumped back a day which is fine.

Game right now is frustrating, really struggling on par 5s for some reasons this year I think I have more triple bogeys than anything else on par 5s. 

Driver: it's either an easy 285-300yard drive or I cannot keep it on the planet. The face angle control needs to improve. 

Woods: Haven't used them a ton but mixed feeling and on the chopping block.

Long Irons: I'm really struggling with these, they feel way too light and I'm having to really adapt my swing to make them "feel heavy". These are to be gone soon. 

Short Irons: I've actually been really pleased with my 8i to 54° for full swing shots lately and trying my best to set up my shots into the green at the 110-170 yard range.

Wedges: Working on this aspect now, it's a mix of frustrating a bit and glimpses of a good wedge game. Just need to get that closer proximity to the hole.

Putting: It's been ok, my lag putting has been stupid good as long as I have the proper line depending on the greens. But I've been struggling on those short little 2-4ft putts at times, probably need to just stand over a few hundred and work away at them. 

Bottom line, I'm seeing improvements in my game but not enough to bring it all together yet. It's one or the other standing out but what isn't standing out is hurting my scores a lot. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 2 weeks later...

It's fitting day, played 18 yesterday on a short "executive" course so mostly easy swings with short irons for me. Did use the 6i when I could off the tee as that's what I'd be hitting in my fitting but mostly the round was just to get some swings in and practice other aspects of my game. 

Swing felt alright, actually it was really solid 7i and down but 6i was mixed, again just think the shaft is too light and I'm "chicken winging" to create artificial heft in the club rather than the finish I was hitting with my shorter irons which have heavier shafts. 

Last part if anyone is watching the Friday round of the Canadian Open and seeing that it's raining, that's what I gotta fit in, but looks like rain is done and just clouds. So will see if I have to layer up or shorts will be fine. The one downfall of outdoor fittings I guess. Will update post fitting or if it gets rescheduled by TXG or the facility. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Fitting is done, interesting results, a little wake up call on the irons. Not everything I went in for got changed. 

Clubs are expensive, anyone want to buy some feet pics from me? Man's gotta buy irons. 

• Haha 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

• MattM97 changed the title to MattM97's WITB the 2023 Fitting Update on Page 6

Fitting results here we go, I don't have my stats just going off of experience and what I remember. Just going to start with irons cause more detail, I was also outside so I didn't have a screen in front of me getting all the stats, just swinging and looking at flight while the fitter gave me the info. I have worked with this fitter before, he did my driver fitting and I definitely trust him.

Did my warmup, swing wasn't amazing today but it was consistent and that's really all we want a consistent swing not that one you stripe perfectly every 25 swings. The fitter started getting some heads and shafts together while watching me get some reps in, for simplicity here is what I tested:

Heads

* Titleist T200

* Ping i230

* TaylorMade P770

* TaylorMade P790

* PXG 0311XP Gen6

* PXG 0311P Gen6

Shafts

* DG Tour 120 X100

* Project X LZ 6.0

* Mitsubishi MMT (not sure weight and flex)

* There may have been 1 more.

Now if anyone has been reading you may be thinking "Matt, none of those are really what you talked about wanting to test" and yes you may be right, but a bit of a reality check, I'm not a good iron player right now, I probably need more help than I think I do, we kinda all do. But anyways onto the fit.

First club I got was the T200 with the Project X in it, few swings, not bad just not quite it plus still warming up. Next I believe it was the P790 with the MMT, few swings on that and kinda said lets move on didn't like the shaft feel, couldn't time it.

Next we went to the 0311XP I believe with the Project X, the DG Tour or the forgotten shaft. First time hitting a PXG iron and impressive easy to hit and they flew much lower. These got a "huh these could be interesting" and then we went to the i230s with the DG Tour, I can't remember the last time I hit a Ping iron but these I wanted to hit. Man these things are easy to hit and they feel good too, like a cheat mode.

We then went back to the Project X shaft in the P790s and then close but I think the DG Tour 120 shaft felt better to me, granted I've been swinging the AMT White shafts for 5 year so the DG profile is familiar to me so kinda narrowed into that shaft. We then started trying all the heads in the DG Tour 120 shaft, the 0311XP, the P790 then the P770, then the 0311P came out and to me that felt better than the 0311XP and looked better too.

I will also say an issue with my 6i was peak height and spin, I was spinning my 6i at 7,000rpm and height was 125-135ft, that's just way too high and too much spin since it's the Srixon 585. The P790s were pretty high for me from what I remember so tested the P770s and they for whatever reason just a bit too demanding. The 0311P and i230 were in the 80-95ft peak height range and spin in the 6000 range so much better.

So now it comes down to 2, the i230 and the 0311P, the XP we decided was more a long iron option for me. Back and forth between the i230 and 0311P, seeing a bit more distance and overall boxes being ticked with the 0311P. But the i230s were just consistent and an ease to hit, like no punishment of off center strikes.

I kinda leaned to the 0311P's during the fitting for whatever reason, maybe just cause of the potential for blending the set with the 0311XP up top and the potential for adding the 0317CB's in the future in the scoring irons. The i230s was just the i230s but you would know what you're getting. We kinda landed on the 0311P's and nothing was paid for yet mainly cause irons are not cheap anymore and just need to move some things around.

Now that the dust has settled a bit after the fitting I'm thinking about how I may like the i230s more and how they could fit my gaps much better but I'm going to see what my PXG specs were when I get the sheet. The lofts are a bit stronger and could throw my gapping off lower in the bag, top of the bag no real worries if a bit of a gap.

I say it a lot with fittings, it's just $100 or whatever, no need to buy, get another fitting if you want and I think I may ask to do another fitting inside. Not cause I'm unhappy with the results I think I'm too on the fence cause I really enjoyed the Pings but was thinking too much about what the PXG's could be vs what they are in the moment. They are very, very good irons but looking at my wedges now could be a gapping issue.

Tomorrow I'll post about my woods fitting which touched on my driver, 3W and Hybrid. This was much faster but much more enjoyable cause the differences were easy to see for me.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Second half of my fitting was the woods in my bag including hybrid. The fitter grabs my driver and says we need to hit a few balls to get a baseline for gapping, then looks at me and says "You don't want a new driver do you? We fit this last year" I just shake my head, say no it's working but maybe a setting change. He agreed and the swings begun and some of my issues showed, low flight, way left, connect with one, another low flight. I hear the fitter go "Hmm....ok pass me that for a second" changes the sleeve setting, hands it back to me and just says "ok try this", for reference my best carry was maybe 285 which seems to be my average carry when I connect with one lately.

So set the driver down, see a change, didn't ask what it was, put on a swing and ball just takes off, I'm just watching the flight and I hear the fitter go "holy crap that's massive" I look down at the GC Quad and see 'Carry: 300' he reads out "Carry 300, Total 325. Do that 2 more times" so line up and put 2 more swings on the ball and both were over 290 carry. I say "I think the driver is good now" he nods and hands me my first 3W to test and says "driver will look better with a proper ball on course".

For reference on the change my driver is a 9° head and was in the -1.0°D setting bringing it to 8°, he turned up the head and now it's in +1.0°D putting the driver at 10° and I just had better strikes on the face and delivery.

Now for the 3W, we tested mine a bit and I used to love my 3W but kinda lost feel with it, I couldn't really swing easy, always had to go after it my swings were, topped, hook, push fade, lined on up, another hook I believe then another good one. Definitely not something you want on the course. I get handed a TSR2 with a GD Tour AD-IZ first swing shaft felt way nicer a little toe side contact then got some decent swings going, better than my 3W but not the best.

The fitter went and asked if I want something deeper faced, or stick with something shallow, I mentioned I'm open to all doesn't need to be Ping shallow but something with a touch more confidence off the tee. He grabbed the Paradym X head, tossed it on the AD-IZ shaft and handed it back to me. First swing high launch and far, my eyes light up cause this is the flight I wanted, specs way better. So we get to swinging and just same things one after another like 255 carry of the deck, this is the one to beat.

He then grabs the Paradym TD and says this could be scary good or not as good. I set it down and the look was nice but I liked the Paradym X more but still we swing. Took 3 swings and not great contact and we agreed the Paradym X was the one for me within the Callaway line.

Next up grabs a TM Stealth 2 head and says this is usually the closer for many since the TM fairways are so good, he wasn't wrong they are nice fairways, lower launch for me a hair and pretty long but just something was missing from it, maybe lacking a bit more control but it was close.

Then I get the Paradym X back with a Ventus Blue shaft this time hit a few balls, very solid but I was just in love with the AD-IZ shaft, I could swing easy I could go after it, tried the Ventus Blue in the Paradym X quick and same thing for me. Finally went back to the Paradym X with the AD-IZ, took 2 easy swings, high ball flight 245-255 carry, did another 2 swings more aggressive 265 lower flight. We have my fairway wood.

Last part the Hybrid, was handed a TSR2 hybrid with an AD-IZ shaft, hit a few, not bad kinda swinging like a FW and not an iron. Fitter says lets try mine I get comfortable with it put some solid swings, match the TSR2, he grabs it back makes a tweak taking it off very flat to standard few more swings, it looks nice. Just says to me "keep your hybrid it works well, I don't think anything will beat it" I agreed no need to change especially cause I like the Tensei Orange Pro shaft. He even said if you find a used G425 or G430 head cheap, buy it, pop it in, probably get a bit more distance.

So that's all, driver got a tweak for the better, found a 3W that gave me the flight I wanted and ease to swing, hybrid no change which I'm fine with less $$$ spent.

I'll update about my iron situation at some point, definitely want to get back into a bay and see all the info in front of me, the 3W was different cause I saw the flight and feel easily, the irons were just too close.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Post fitting update, spoke with the fitter about my thoughts on the irons. Just said want to get into the bay where lie is the same, conditions are controlled, better ball, same target, etc, and the specs right there on 2 screens. Also just mentioned how I was to be 100% sure and confident on a purchase of this price. He said no problem and wanted to see when I wanted to get back into the bay, hopefully soon cause I did feel a crazy difference since I'm not using a pool noodle.

I'm also going to prepare some more questions:

- Lofts stock, weak or strong?

- Gapping with wedges will be an issue (depending on set).

- Long term playability, will a distance iron be too much in 2 years for me?

- Combo setting now (depending on set)

Maybe a few more if I can think of them.

With that said played 9 holes recently, took me 4 holes to get my feel back with my irons, by then score was shot but once I got the feel back I was striking the irons quite well, actually only hit irons. Short irons were great especially into the greens, not many hit but not bad misses which I'll take on a course I didn't know. The long irons those light shafts will just continue to kill me until they are gone. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

10 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Post fitting update, spoke with the fitter about my thoughts on the irons. Just said want to get into the bay where lie is the same, conditions are controlled, better ball, same target, etc, and the specs right there on 2 screens. Also just mentioned how I was to be 100% sure and confident on a purchase of this price. He said no problem and wanted to see when I wanted to get back into the bay, hopefully soon cause I did feel a crazy difference since I'm not using a pool noodle.

I'm also going to prepare some more questions:

- Lofts stock, weak or strong?

- Gapping with wedges will be an issue (depending on set).

- Long term playability, will a distance iron be too much in 2 years for me?

- Combo setting now (depending on set)

Maybe a few more if I can think of them.

With that said played 9 holes recently, took me 4 holes to get my feel back with my irons, by then score was shot but once I got the feel back I was striking the irons quite well, actually only hit irons. Short irons were great especially into the greens, not many hit but not bad misses which I'll take on a course I didn't know. The long irons those light shafts will just continue to kill me until they are gone. 

Good luck man. So tough to find the right equipment that fits your game and your swing.

For me I’ve found there’s only so much a fitter can really tell me, a lot of my equipment decisions now are my own trial and error.

Kind of like a doctor, they can use deductive reasoning and experience, but only you know your body best.

I’ve gotten incorrect advice in fittings before and wasted lots of money because of it though, so I take it all with a grain of salt now.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

Good luck man. So tough to find the right equipment that fits your game and your swing.

For me I’ve found there’s only so much a fitter can really tell me, a lot of my equipment decisions now are my own trial and error.

Kind of like a doctor, they can use deductive reasoning and experience, but only you know your body best.

I’ve gotten incorrect advice in fittings before and wasted lots of money because of it though, so I take it all with a grain of salt now.

For sure I know I'm close with the PXG and Ping, both easy to hit and forgiving. Just depends on the direction I want to go, more speed and distance with the PXG or just long term consistency with the Pings? They both work but which will I enjoy more as well.

I kinda have an idea of what I want to do right now but I'll see if the info confirms that first and maybe some spec tweaks now and then in the future. 

But this is also about the money too, don't want to spend like 2500 Canadian, not like them, sell them for 1500 and then buy the other set for 2500. Basically 3500 for irons lol. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

10 hours ago, MattM97 said:

For sure I know I'm close with the PXG and Ping, both easy to hit and forgiving. Just depends on the direction I want to go, more speed and distance with the PXG or just long term consistency with the Pings? They both work but which will I enjoy more as well.

I kinda have an idea of what I want to do right now but I'll see if the info confirms that first and maybe some spec tweaks now and then in the future. 

But this is also about the money too, don't want to spend like 2500 Canadian, not like them, sell them for 1500 and then buy the other set for 2500. Basically 3500 for irons lol. 

Totally understand my man.

You know I’ve bought and sold a ton of equipment that wasn’t a fit, so I know 100% where you’re coming from.

The cost of new equipment is extremely high for sure, better to feel good about what you’re buying.

I’ve finally got a bag that’s a really good fit, so hoping to slow down the equipment churn and use that money on extra rounds, or trying some higher end courses instead!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

Totally understand my man.

You know I’ve bought and sold a ton of equipment that wasn’t a fit, so I know 100% where you’re coming from.

The cost of new equipment is extremely high for sure, better to feel good about what you’re buying.

I’ve finally got a bag that’s a really good fit, so hoping to slow down the equipment churn and use that money on extra rounds, or trying some higher end courses instead!

Man you've probably had more drivers or iron sets than I've had putters lol.

But yeah I'm getting close to a solid set that will stick for a while, the game is improving as well I want to see those results for once, just have to keep playing. I think I've already matched the rounds I played last year and we have like 4 months left.

• Haha 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Got a message this morning saying there was an open spot for a fitting this evening, so ran home and grabbed my bag and clothes before heading out into the field for work. Was a sunny day and I was doing a lot of walking so kinda zapped my energy a bit but nothing awful it's something I'd do for men's league. 

Anyways the fitting was with a different fitter but nothing wrong with that, if same answer is reached with someone else it's got to be the one. For anyone who doesn't want to read above it came down to the PXG 0311P's and the Ping i230's, shaft was the DG Tour 120 X100 so it was just testing a few things to see the winner. Now we tested a lot small little changes since we got the bulk of the work done last time, so the data is a bit confusing for me but I think I got it down.

Balls hit were the Srixon Z-Star XV, something that I'll play a bit and better than the balls at the outdoor fitting. 

I warmed up and first club I got was the winner PXG 0311P with the Tour 120 X100 and a proper grip for me. Right away same old thing just consistent and straight and long which I started to hesitate with a bit but it was tight grouping. Here is my warmup with a PW and the 0311P's, carry was about 200 yards.

image.png.62dfe3010b12b846edc0dd0fa35a6cbd.png

Next I got handed the i230s which I started to like more for various reasons and despite being 2° weaker it was faster, a bit longer and better spin control. The fitter saw this and the potential but saw something was off and if we could clean it up the i230s will be the winner, anyone spot the issue? 

image.png.d1a713d542f0ab125eb9d34ff5ba38c0.png

If you cannot it's the toe down at 5°, kinda want that near 0 if not will twist in the grass. 

So the fitter started tinkering, bending the club up 2°, going with a 1/2" longer shaft, trying a different shaft with a Modus 130X, different screw in the toe, etc. No matter what we did that toe down delivery just wouldn't change. In the bay it was going but if we were outside and probably what was happening outside with these going shorter. 

Much to my dismay I had to admit the i230s were just not for me, I will hand it to the fitter to try every last thing to get them to work but I said just not happening unfortunately. Now we had to dial in the PXG's but during all this I was asking a lot of questions, maybe too many. Lofts being strong, my wedge gapping, not wanting a ton of distance in my scoring irons or jumpers as well. 

One thing that surprised me is the 1/2" that I thought I would play iron wise there wasn't a ton of difference from "standard" to 1/2" long for me, forget which ended up being the winner looking at my sheet the lengths are 1/4-1/2" over PXG standard but their length standards are different. But here is my distances with standard length and 1/2" long. 

0311PDG120X.png.2ae4ecdd41e9b189528e605a80e4b061.png 

Just note on some of these on the longer shaft I was getting tired and lazy and did have some pulls, I did take a break just kinda went to basics on my swing and feel and ended on like 5-6 solid swings, I will say none were center strike but it was mixed toe and heel but they went and if on the course when I'm tired this could be extremely helpful.

0311PDG120Xlong.png.a6e4fe904dc90be95781e0a7961815aa.png

Finally the part people may be wondering, "Matt why not test the PXG 0317CB?" good question, I asked and they don't have a fitting head at the moment. The fitter did agree that going with the 0317CB at either the 7i or 8i spot could make a very dangerous bag, but for obvious reasons he didn't want to sell me those without me hitting them. So what are we going to do? Well 1 more fitting when the 0317CB's come in just to get those final specs, I could also go to the PXG Canada location which I may contact and see if they have the 0317 head and just hit that and see what happens, kinda hope we get some 0317s in the mix cause that will drop the price by a few hundred. 

We're 90-95% there, just some more final details before we order some irons. My 3W just need to get the specs from the last fitter and that will be ordered up as well. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

A few things I forgot to add and/or mention:

Fitting was done with a 6i, it's standard for PXG instead of a 7i. They explain that in many videos.

You may notice my spin numbers are low well I'm a high ball hitter, I kinda have to accept that. I can get a lower peak height at times my body just isn't there yet, it shows every now and then and spin is usually corrected. I was hitting down on the ball if anyone was wondering, was seeing -2 to -3 often which isn't much but last year this time I was +3 AoA so progress.

That's all I can think of now, any more questions you can ask.

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

The distance consistency on those pxgs look great from your first photo, I think its going to be a hard beat there. You could throw a blanket over them. Usually I can tell in the first 10 swings if it's a contender or not. This definitely looks like a contender.

I had issues when I tested the i230 aswell with toe down. Which is strange because I usually play my irons Flat.

Loving the updates on the fittings though. Keep them coming.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Longballjock said:

The distance consistency on those pxgs look great from your first photo, I think its going to be a hard beat there. You could throw a blanket over them. Usually I can tell in the first 10 swings if it's a contender or not. This definitely looks like a contender.

I had issues when I tested the i230 aswell with toe down. Which is strange because I usually play my irons Flat.

Loving the updates on the fittings though. Keep them coming.

Yeah when I saw that, at 200 yards out I was very impressed. Especially toe and heel shots making it to the green as well. 

There was another grouping I didn't show, it wasn't as tight as I had some pulls from just being tired. They went like 210-215 carry. At that point the fitter told me to take a break, we chatted for 5min. Then hit another 10 with better swings basically into a similar circle. Just didn't want to delete extra info. 

Glad you enjoy the detail and info. I know I can just post bag pics but more detail can help other. Actually going to post an updated response under this. 

Lastly the i230s glad I'm not the only one, it's weird and hard to explain the toe down. But as I said above if I had the same delivery as the PXG they would be ordered already. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Update, we are going for a 3rd fitting, no I'm not unhappy this is for the combo set. 

I'm lucky that a lot of OEMs have fitting centers not too far from my house. PXG Canada East is 20min away. I shoot the fitter an email about my situation and wanted to see if they have the 0317CB irons. 

Turns out he's the main guy in Canada for PXG and said that TXG should have the heads this week. But asked which shaft I fit into and said they had it in their matrix. 

Some back and forth on email and he said let's fit there, he can triple check my fitting and give me an answer for a combo set and I can get the irons ordered sooner and in my hands sooner. I don't own anything PXG yet but their CS is doing a good job making me happy.

So this Saturday I'm going to do a quick 30min fit, basically act as a warm up for a scramble I'm playing in a few hours later and hopefully my irons are ordered next week at some point and maybe my 3W too. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Just now, MattM97 said:

Update, we are going for a 3rd fitting, no I'm not unhappy this is for the combo set. 

I'm lucky that a lot of OEMs have fitting centers not too far from my house. PXG Canada East is 20min away. I shoot the fitter an email about my situation and wanted to see if they have the 0317CB irons. 

Turns out he's the main guy in Canada for PXG and said that TXG should have the heads this week. But asked which shaft I fit into and said they had it in their matrix. 

Some back and forth on email and he said let's fit there, he can triple check my fitting and give me an answer for a combo set and I can get the irons ordered sooner and in my hands sooner. I don't own anything PXG yet but their CS is doing a good job making me happy.

So this Saturday I'm going to do a quick 30min fit, basically act as a warm up for a scramble I'm playing in a few hours later and hopefully my irons are ordered next week at some point and maybe my 3W too. 

Well that is excellent customer service.

Hopefully you will be happy with what you see in the CB.

It seems like you have a very good and accommodating amount of fitters near you.

TXG just looks fantastic and Ian is a great guy. Used to operate the Taylormade performace centre at Turnberry and fitted my R11 driver(jeez 12 years ago, where does the time go) 

Happy Golfing.

58 minutes ago, Longballjock said:

Well that is excellent customer service.

Hopefully you will be happy with what you see in the CB.

It seems like you have a very good and accommodating amount of fitters near you.

TXG just looks fantastic and Ian is a great guy. Used to operate the Taylormade performace centre at Turnberry and fitted my R11 driver(jeez 12 years ago, where does the time go) 

Happy Golfing.

For sure, I'm sure it will help their sales number when I order them so the sooner the better lol.

Yeah for sure lots of options for everyone to get fit either agnostic or one brand. I also guess nice emails and respect go a long way too.

It's a great resource to have for sure, I've never actually been fit by Ian, I've interacted with him before while at fittings but haven't done one yet.

Will see how it all goes and how the bag and game shape up the rest of the year.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Awesome that you’re doing your due diligence and making sure you find the right fit man.

Hopefully you can find the clarity you’re looking for and find a great fit!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

The iron fitting journey it done, I hope. Did a quick and dirty fit at PXG Canada, literally just went in an hit the 0317CB irons quickly. Wasn't a perfect setup but got to see what was going on, the unfortunate side was with PXG they don't bend their heads they come pre-bent so the 0317CB in LH were just standard lie so a few things were off.

But I just hit and the fitter was looking for anything that was really off, outside of the impact location which would probably clean up with a lie bend. Ball speed was looking nice, launch was nice, still my usual high ball flight but not crazy high or low spin, nice decent angle to hold greens and the most enjoyable part was how soft they felt.

The distance on them was looking quite short in the sim but the fitter let me know it's reads a bit odd and to add 5-8% to the distance. I was trying to do some quick math in my head, instead I just asked to hit a few shots with the 0311P with proper lie to see the difference and it was honestly just 5 yards difference so no real worry for me, maybe bend the 0317CBs 1° strong and we will be set.

So here is how the irons are looking to lay out right now:

4i - 0311XP

5-6i - 0311P

7-PW - 0317CB

Just waiting for the fitter to get back to me with the new build sheet, then will order this week the irons, maybe the 3W in another week or two and we'll have a set bag until the next time I feel my bag isn't set.

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

• MattM97 changed the title to MattM97's WITB: 2024 Ball Testing, Bag Prep and Training.