Ping G400 vs. G410 vs. G710

I will turn 70 before the year is out, and will probably shift from steel-shafted irons to graphite this season. I've had a fall-off in iron distance from my current set, and have gotten very high clubhead speed and recovered distance in a couple of the graphite-shafted irons I have tried.

A local sports shop has a slightly used set of Black-Dot Ping G400 irons - 4i to UW - for $550. Looks like someone hit the 5i, 7i and wedges and traded them in. Shafts are the Alta CB 72-gr. R-flex. The Alta CBs have an ascending weight technology similar to the steel AWT 2.0 - the longer iron shafts are lighter than the shorter iron shafts.

I'm asking for comparisons among the three iron models mentioned in the title.

So, was they G410 a major improvement over the G400? The G410 promos say the model has toe-hosel weighting to improve ball speed, less offset and a shorter blade, and .02 inches less offset (so what?) than the G400 model.

Those of you who use Ping, what can you tell me? (I'm hoping the shop would let me take the 5i and 7i for a test before I buy.) In Ping rough fittings, I get pegged as black dot for lie angle.

I hit the G410 at a demo day, along with the G710. (No launch monitor, just feel and visual before ball hit net 15 yards away) G410 felt OK.

The G710 was odd. The fitter (he knows his stuff) was surprised I was lukewarm on the G710. It just didn't have any feel with it. It was a 65-gram shaft. Also, a couple of people here on GolfWRX have spoken highly of the G710.

So, any advice or comments from user experience on the three iron models?

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° set +1°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48° and 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True point and shoot irons, they really are that easy.  

I have had my 710s since April and am really liking them now. They are a club longer than my G400s were and higher flying and very forgiving.

slolane - That's great to hear. I'm pulling the trigger on mine today.  

Posted Images

I had the 400, 410 and 700. Didn't love the 400 or 410. Liked the G700 very much. I have not tried the G710 as I've moved onto Titleist T300 and am very happy with those.

That said I have heard very good things about the improved sound and feel of the 710.

Personally a fan of the 410, but if the look and feel/performance of the 400 works, why not?! If the 'R' shaft fits you OP?!. Probably won't have much use for the 4 iron, but still a pretty good deal?! I have always said, 'It's only a good deal if it fits'?!

Super Bowl LII Champions
Fly Eagles Fly!

I upgraded to 410 from 400 a couple of months ago. From what I’ve seen so far there is little difference, if I had to choose between them I’d probably go for the 400 as they feel softer. I also think they’re slightly more forgiving. There isn’t a lot in it though to be honest, both very good clubs. I will add at this point that I’ve been making some changes to my swing since I got the G410 and they aren’t ingrained in me yet, so it’s not quite an exact comparison.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the performance of the G400, they are very easy to hit, very smooth, very high launching and a real pleasure to play with. The Alta graphite shaft I would say is ideal for older folk, they go a long way and they stop vibrations which is good for your joints.

I play the G400 with senior graphite shaft and went to CG the other day to do a comparison of these three clubs. I had every intention of getting fit for either the 710 or 410 but left thinking why? I was hitting my g400 every bit as well as the other two. All three clubs with the same senior graphite shaft I hit the 400 and 410 exactly the same the 710 not so much. Now this was inside off a mat but I just could not get a feeling for the 710 and hit it shorter than the other two. It was probably just me but I didn't set up a fitting at that time until I can get outside and try them. I live in Michigan and its starting to get nicer here so maybe I can try them outside soon. In the mean time here is a video review of the 400 and 410 you might find useful.

Driver Ping G400 max 10.5 Distanza

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

5 - u wedge Ping G710 Irons Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Calloway 58 easy out sand wedge

Bettenardi studio stock #3 putter

I'm 67 and a Ping guy, went to graphite a number of years ago. My thoughts:

If possible, consider spending the money to really do a fitting; I found there to be a significant difference between the stock graphite shafts in the first set I had (G30), and my current set (G700) with Recoils. The Recoils are just better shafts, with tighter dispersion, and worth the upgrade, at least to me. I wish that I had done that in the G30's when I first went to graphite shafts.Though I haven't hit any of the three irons that you are looking at, based on having played the G30's for 4 years and now the G700's for two years, I think I can safely say that the G710's are VERY different clubs from the other two sets. They will be longer by a half to a full club, and probably launch higher as well. There are a lot of people that didn't like the sound of the G700's (I'm NOT one of them; didn't mind it a bit), and supposedly Ping has changed that in the 710's. I think they are different enough from the standard G line that you could consider them to be a completely different model, rather than a variation.At least for me, I did NOT find that graphite shafts gave me back any lost distance. I really switched because I hoped they would be easier on my elbows, which they are, and because I was moving to R flex shafts in all my clubs; I sort of expected them to be at least marginally longer, and that just wasn't the case for me. I've never regretted going to graphite shafts in my irons, but I wouldn't change expecting distance gains. As I said, the G700's ARE longer, but I think that's a product of the hollow head design, and not the shafts.

I have hit all three Ping models, owned the G400 and now have the Ping G710 Alta graphite r flex irons. I did not feel there was any significant improvement of the 410 irons compared to the 400. The G710 irons are another story, easy high launch, more distance at least a half club longer and more forgiving.

To everyone, thanks much for the quick - and insightful - responses.@Joelsim said:  "The Alta graphite shaft I would say is ideal for older folk, they go a long way and they stop vibrations which is good for your joints."
This is doubly important. I retired in May, and played golf two days straight a few times last season. Elbows felt tingly by end of second day.@bluedot said: "If possible, consider spending the money to really do a fitting; I found there to be a significant difference between the stock graphite shafts in the first set I had (G30), and my current set (G700) with Recoils. The Recoils are just better shafts, with tighter dispersion, and worth the upgrade, at least to me. I wish that I had done that in the G30's when I first went to graphite shafts."
I hear you. Now I'm at a similar place to 2008-2009 when I moved from DG S300 and stiff Aldilas to regular flex shafts in all my clubs. As noted, I like the last crop of graphite iron shafts better than those of six years ago. And, clubfitters from three different events cautioned me that I can't compare steel shafts and graphite shafts for irons. You have to hit the graphites and find one that works, there's no equivalency table to tell me that a KBS Tour 90 = graphite XYZ.
As for Recoils, I have tried them in the Callaway Steelhead and Rogue iron families. Really liked them, just wasn't buying irons then. I'm wondering if the Recoil 95 (R-flex) is something I can still handle, or if I need to go ES 760 or 780. From what I understand, the Recoil 95/110 models use the ascending weight technology model in which the longer iron shafts weigh less than the shorter iron shafts. @Golf64, AWT might make the 4i more viable, at least as a driving iron (see my current sig line).Any advice on Recoil 95 vs. ES 760/780? @slolane, Mr. Ainsworth had an excellent side-by-side of the two iron models. And, he was a bit more understandable than some of the British reviewers.
-------------------------------------
Also, the G700/G710 is interesting model. Seems most people here - and on other threads - either like them or don't like them. As I had mentioned, the Ping fitter was surprised I didn't like them after he watched my ball flight.
------------------------------------
All, the reason I was considering the used Ping G400 was it had a shaft I have tried before, and it was a Black dot, which Pingers usually recommend for me. That said, I get most center strikes with a set based upon a 38 1/4" shaft 5 iron. The G400 an G410 vary increments between shaft lengths, and I don't know if that would bother me on the shorter irons or not. If I got the used G400s and had to get shaft extensions, might as well get new set.
If I combined PayPal + balance with sale of current irons, I could nearly break even on a new set of irons.Again, thanks to all!

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° set +1°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48° and 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

I sat in a fitting with a friend that is a 4 handicapper 6'2" and hits a big ball. He loves the old Cleveland CG16 GI Irons. Those huge offset thick toppling heads. He plays a 85g steel shaft as well. But he plays well with them and he loves that look.

We went back and forth between the G410 and the G710's. Even though the 710's were a little longer he loved the look and feel of the 710's over the G410's. That silver face and blacked out heads look bad ass and feel really good.

I personally like the g410 shape better but have to admit the color scheme and feel of the 710's are better IMO.

Both are so good. Looks will be a big factor and the 710's do go longer.

I find that Ping irons sets with the stock graphite shaft tend to have very low swing weights. High likelihood that the used set you are looking at is in the C7-8 range if it is standard length. Don't know about you, but at C7 with a 70g shaft I just can't feel the clubhead and my swing starts going off plane. Also think $550 is probably a decent, but not a great price for used G400s.

I've hit both G410 and G710. Really like what they have done with the G710 as I wasn't a fan of the G700. Regarding the G410, I'll stick with my G25s and happily give up a couple of yards.

I can't speak on the 710's but I played the 400's for a season and the 410's for a season. If I was to go back to that style of iron the 410's would be back in the bag with no regrets.

Titleist TS2
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Ping Anser 20,
Wilson V6's  3-GW
Ping Glide
58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

ChipNrun - in your posts, you mention the cost of the used set a couple of times. If this is an important factor for you, then the 400's might be the way to go. If the cost is not as important a factor, then I would definitely give the 710's another shot. They are not inexpensive! But for me, I really loved the feel, flight, etc. I had the 700's LY and while the performance of the 710's was not really an upgrade, the looks were much nicer. I also tried the Cobra Forged Tec's this year along with the new TM P790's. The Ping was the best fit for me.

Good Luck in your search and enjoy!!

Cobra Speedzone 9* w/ TPT 16
Cobra F9 3/4W w/ ATmos Blue 1/2" Short 
Callaway Rouge 4H

Titleist 818 5H
Ping G710 5-P w/ KBS Tour 120
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX Full Face 56*
TM Spider X 34" blue

Not a fan of any of the stock Ping graphite shafts I've played. I play Recoil 670 F3s (an R) in my irons and have a couple of Dis with Recoil ES 780 F3 SmacWraps. In general I find they play on the stiff side of an R rated flex. The 670s are easy on your body and long. The 780s are definitely a step up on the boardier side. Great for a DI, but I don't think I'd like them in a iron set.

My previous set had steel Zelos 80s in Stiff. Definitely softer then the 670 F3s and really easy on the body. Most Nippons are definitely on the softer side and something you should at least try. They make a bunch of really nice shafts that are going to be better then those Ping Alta's guaranteed.

My last doctor visit said I have gone from 5-foot-9 down to 5-foot-8, meaning I'm flattening (?). An expo fitter suggested I might need a flatter lie vs. longer shafts... Evidence I need a detailed fitting...@Tommyj said: "I find that Ping irons sets with the stock graphite shaft tend to have very low swing weights. High likelihood that the used set you are looking at is in the C7-8 range if it is standard length. Don't know about you, but at C7 with a 70g shaft I just can't feel the clubhead and my swing starts going off plane."
Excellent points. A veteran fitter told me Callaway and Ping will now increase head weight/swing weight for you in their irons fitted with lighter graphite shafts. (Rough planning rule: for every 9 grams of shaft weight you lose, you go down one SwWt point.) I think maybe I balked at the G710s because I hit them with a graphite senior flex shaft, which felt almost like the shaft wasn't there. (I was disappointed, as the G700/G710 head design rocks!!). Several posters in our thread really like the G700 and G710 models. @cfmgolf, I hear you on reconsidering.@mootrail said: "My previous set had steel Zelos 80s in Stiff. Definitely softer then the 670 F3s and really easy on the body. Most Nippons are definitely on the softer side and something you should at least try."
Circa 2014 I reshafted my Callaway X20 Tours from PX 5.0 to NS Pro 8950GH. Shed 17 grams weight, and picked up about 12 yards distance per iron. Other lighter NS Pro shafts have felt good in various irons I have tested (very similar NS Pro 950 a common one). In the Zelos shafts, did you have any Sensicore or similar damping inserts? Or, did Zelos not need these? Again, I'm trying to gain distance and lose the tinging elbows.
--------------
Outside of Ping-land, I've tried the Callaway Mavrik line. The Mav MAX is interesting, as it has higher lofts than the base Mavrik. In Mav MAX vs. Mav, I got more height and more distance with MAX, using the same shaft.

@ChipNRun regarding my comments on SW, I would have no problem custom ordering from Ping where I can specify the SW I want. Normally with a 105g steel shaft I like a SW of D1-2, with an 85g graphite shaft I would go at least a point higher to offset the lighter shaft weight.
I would definitely give the G710 another try with a different shaft. It's the first Ping iron since I got my G25s that I can't stop thinking about. I really didn't like the G700 when I hit it, and maybe its just the sound, but I find the G710 has a much more solid feel. I was comparing it with the G410 in a sim, and for me it was the G710, not even close.
  • 6 months later...

ChipNRun - Given the passage of time since March, you have probably made a decision by now (let us know what you chose) but I just came across this thread and thought I'd add another data point.

I am a recently retired 64-year old who returned to playing golf about a year ago after a 10-year hiatus. When I quit playing in 2009 I was gaming Ping i5's (with Rifle 5.5 shafts) and for the past year have switched off between the i5's and a set of Titleist AP1's (Kuro Kage regular shafts) which I picked up used on eBay. Due to lack of playing and aging, I have lost a lot of distance and, like you decided that graphite shafts would be the way to go.

Last week, I went to Spargo Golf in RI for an irons, hybrids and wedges fitting, during which I tried  Titleist T300s and T400s, Cobra  t-Rail, Cobra King TEC, Taylormade (I forgot the model), Wishons and Ping G410 and Ping G710s. We tried a variety of shafts in the various heads. I ended up choosing the Ping G710s (7-U wedge) with Recoil F3 shafts and a Ping Glide 3.0 Eye-2 profile 56*, also with a Recoil shaft. Although I thought I would like the t-Rail, for me the ball flight and shot consistency was best with the G710s. Since delivery is expected to be about 8-weeks out,  I probably won't be able to use them until next spring, however. 

Edited by Bob Merrill

I have had my 710s since April and am really liking them now. They are a club longer than my G400s were and higher flying and very forgiving.

• Like 1

Driver Ping G400 max 10.5 Distanza

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

5 - u wedge Ping G710 Irons Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Calloway 58 easy out sand wedge

Bettenardi studio stock #3 putter

The difference between the G400 series irons (which are still a great set) and the G700/710's and you could add the G410's also IMO is significant. I've played all three series from the G400's to the G700's and now the G410's.  The 700/710's and G410's being hollow body designs produce a bit more ball speed than the G400's (at least in my experience) resulting in a bit more distance.  The G700/710's a little more forgiving due to the larger heads than the G401's. All very good irons in their own right. 

• Like 1

Taylor Made 10.5* SIM Max
Taylor Made 18* Five Wood

Ping G25 7 Wood

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals 5 thru GW
Vokey SM6 54*/10* S Grind
Vokey SM6 58*/12* K Grind
T.P Mills Custom PN MIng
T.P Mills Klassic
Odyssey Black Stroke Lab 7S

I want to thank you for the talk about the Ping 700's. I was on the fence on playing them today, and read this, and decided to play them today. I really don't know why I didn't like them before, maybe the hot face, but they were the ticket today. Shot a 42 and missed an easy birdie, but the greens were punched (good excuse.) Today was one of those beautiful fall days that cannot be described! The 700's were amazing. I could even hit the 5 iron well, and that has been sometime ago, and it was very straight. They will be in the bag until they misbehave, the F9's are lurking around the corner.

another day, and a different game shows up

Ping Max 10.5

Cobra F9 5,7 wds

RBZ 4,5 hybrids

G700 5-AW irons

MD5 54 10S

Toulon Columbus

Maxfli Tour

I like the look of the G400 vs the G410 and they are long.  If the price is right and they fit you, go for it...

• Like 1

Driver 10.5° PING G400 Max // Driver 10° PING G400 SFT

5-wood 17.5° PING G400 // 5-wood 18.5° PING G400

5-crossover 25° PING G400 // 5-hybrid 26° PING G400

Irons PING i25 (6-9, PW, UW) // Irons PING G400 (7-9, PW, UW)

Wedges 54°/58° PING Anser Forged // Wedge 56° PING Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter PING Heppler Piper (34 3/4") // Putter PING WRX Redwood Piper S (34 3/4")

Bob Merrill-- My Ping G710s took 12 weeks. At least they will make a good Christmas present. I went with the 710 for the forgiveness but now would reconsider going with 710s to 7/8 iron and then maybe the I210s or 410s 8-U. There is something about the 710 the lack of feel I struggle with at times.

Edited by John Schlesinger

I think the G5-30 are a similar group (played the 15's and have hit them all).  I think the G iron and 400 are another similar group (still play the G with Aerotech steel fiber, have hit all in this group).  I'd group the 700/710 and to some extent the 500 and the crossover iron/hybrid all together - hit them all but prefer a non-hollow club.  I've hit the 410 and it could be the start of a new group, we'll see as they have future releases.  If I was in your situation I'd get the 400 but not for $550 used and not specifically fitted to you.  Spend the few extra hundred bucks and get fitted into the 400 and have Ping build you a brand new set to your specs.  They could be your last set - be good to yourself.