2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ping G400 vs. G410 vs. G710

ChipNRun

I was playing Friday with the G700 and started to notice that clack sound everyone is talking about, really annoying. I was shopping in a hardware store and noticed a can of Red Devil foam filler. So I picked it up and took the screws out and shot it in the irons. This was way to easy except the first iron when I shot that mess all over me. If you want to try this, shoot the first amount in the trash can to relieve some pressure and not make a horrible mess as I did. 

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

From what I know there are strips of polyurethane inside the cavity, so yes you could. I am playing them tomorrow so should find out. I still have the click sound, but the clack seems to be gone, know tomorrow. I don't know how, but excess filler was able to seep past the screws, but not much. I applied full torque with the torque wrench, and the wrench is the same one used for drivers.

Edited by platgof

Bag is in overhaul mode

The 710s come with hot melt in them from factory.

A trend of hollow-body irons has been set by the golf industry in the past few years and PING is keeping that trend going. However, the new G710 irons aren’t like all of the other hollow-bodied irons that preceded it. So what it is that separates the G710’s from the pack?

For one they come with a maraging steel face for higher ball speeds and longer distances. With an MOI over 3300 g/cm2, which is one of the highest we’ve ever measured, making this a great option for any golfer seeking maximum forgiveness. Improved sound thanks to a thin layer of hot melt behind the face, a hydropearl chrome finish with a black PVD coating repels water to improve performance through the turf and in wet condition, and for the first time ever, PING is releasing irons that come stock with Arrcos Caddie smart grips.

After spending some time in a hitting bay with these irons, I have to say that I really liked what I saw. The sound was much improved from the G700 and my distance numbers were fantastic. The stealth black finish was my favorite part though. These irons are beautiful.

Driver Ping G430 SFT Alta quick 45 

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

5 - u wedge Ping G710 Irons Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Calloway 58 easy out sand wedge

Bettenardi studio stock #3 putter

The G710 is not filled with hot melt, but strips/pad of polyurethane. Also the G700 has the same face on it, and is very long as well. They did change the weighting for more MOI. I was checking the trampoline effect on some of my clubs, bounce a ball all over the face, and there was not one dead spot on the G700, but the Apex 19 had several dead spots on it. The G700/710 can really send the ball. One thing i don't care for at all is the Arrcos in the grip. this just adds to the length of the grip. I would also like to have an option on the black finish as well. So I will just stay with the G700 for those reasons.

Edited by platgof

Bag is in overhaul mode

G700/710 has a relatively thin looking topline and less of a bulky-boxy appearance than does G400/410.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I’ve not played anything in the 700 lineup Nor have I played the g400. I went from G25 to G410’s. Great irons. As good or better than any similar type iron on the market.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Finally received my g710s and had a chance to play 4 rounds with them this last week.  Great irons if you like boring golf.  Baby draw for me (compared to my normal 10-15 yard draw with other irons), nice high ball flight and good distance.  I haven't played the G line since the Gs but I don't know why I left.  It was such a fun and relaxing weekend of 12 to 13 GIRs per round, which is really good for me.  Even my normal playing partner commented on it.

I always leave for the prettier girl that promises to allow me to do more with the ball but I end up struggling.  Lesson finally learned I hope.  The black finish makes them seem smaller at address.  

Edited by 3putt4thewin
Spelling

True point and shoot irons, they really are that easy.

• Like 2

Driver Ping G430 SFT Alta quick 45 

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

5 - u wedge Ping G710 Irons Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Calloway 58 easy out sand wedge

Bettenardi studio stock #3 putter

On 9/26/2020 at 10:05 AM, Bob Merrill said:

ChipNRun - Given the passage of time since March, you have probably made a decision by now (let us know what you chose) but I just came across this thread and thought I'd add another data point. ...

I ended up choosing the Ping G710s (7-U wedge) with Recoil F3 shafts and a Ping Glide 3.0 Eye-2 profile 56*, also with a Recoil shaft. Although I thought I would like the t-Rail, for me the ball flight and shot consistency was best with the G710s. ... 

Bob and others...

Although I'm retired, real-world cleanup tasks and the COVID roadblocks have disrupted my iron search.

Right now I'm considering reshafting the CB Pro Tungstens with Classic RT shafts (75 gr. in R or 85 gr. in S) from XCaliber. Email exchanges with XC rep indicate these are continuous weight and flighted. CB heads are parallel and RTs are taper, so I would have to get tips shimmed up.

For Ping I would consider the G400s (just can't handle the orange G410 trim) or the G710s with something heavier than that Alta Distanza Black 40 (43 grams) shaft. That Distanza is the "shaft that isn't there."

The Red CB (65 gram) might work, it's light but has good balance - the clubs don't feel feathery. But, definitely would want SwWt kicked up to D2.

As for Recoils, have had plenty of demo day strokes with Recoil 95 F3 in Callaway irons. Again, I may need to go a little lighter. This is a case for a full, month-long iron search. Got last true full iron fitting circa 2013, and the fitter told me to just keep my X20 Tours.

As indicated earlier, the Mavrik Max irons are early contender to Ping stuff.

Have tweaked fairways. By chance, I found used Rogue 4W and 7W with 54 gram shafts (10 grams lighter than last) for a good price. Has greatly increased consistency in bridge clubs, smoothed out swing and I don't feel I have to muscle it. (I did have to put three grams of tungsten weight in the toe-end sole slot to slow down face closure, but otherwise they're good.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

ChipNRun - The Recoils which I was fitted for are the F3 Smac Wrap 80 gram, so lighter than the 95s and definitely lighter than steel. The 80 gm shaft provides swing speed benefits, without feeling like it isn't there. 

• Like 1

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

On 10/12/2020 at 12:46 PM, ChipNRun said:

Bob and others.

For Ping I would consider the G400s (just can't handle the orange G410 trim) or the G710s with something heavier than that Alta Distanza Black 40 (43 grams) shaft. That Distanza is the "shaft that isn't there."

As indicated earlier, the Mavrik Max irons are early contender to Ping stuff.

Im confused?

Do not the PING g410’s have red trim/accents whereas the Mavick irons have orange trim/accents?

Edited by Cwing
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I went with the KBS TGI shafts, 100 gram option for my G710s.  Feel really good and really liking the ball flight.  Coming from project x 6.0s I like these a lot.  Still have a decent weight but it's also lighter than what I had been playing. Took me about a round and a half to get comfortable with the lighter weight.  

Played today and the clack was not present, but it seemed there was some distance lost, as the face was not as responsive as before.  I liked the action before and may use acetone to remove the foam. Maybe this is why Ping does not touch the face with the sound deadener. Maybe the rattle glue someone else showed, would work better if applied to the back wall, the way Ping applies it to the G710. Will  play a couple  more rounds to see if it really works or not, as it may get better with use. I did shoot a decent score of 85, with the d... shanks. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

Didn't start golf until I was 30, now almost 60, but love the game.  I've used the G400 irons (AWT regular shafts) for the past three seasons and they're a great set of clubs.  The 7 iron is my 140-150 yard club (I live in the Pacific Northwest so it's 150 yards when it's warm, dry and the fairway is downhill).

I definitely have bad habits - my swing is too steep, my most common shot is a fade (sometimes a slice), I don't hit it high enough, I can't hit a draw on purpose and I'm consistently inconsistent - perhaps like other 19 handicappers... 

Decided to go back to graphite shafts and tried the G410 and G710 among others - inside on a simulator (twice) and outside with a Trackman (twice).  Started with the Alta Red and Recoil SmacWrap regular shafts, and then the "senior" versions of each one.  Hit the 710 farther and more consistent than the 410 - no matter the shaft.  Was leaning towards the SmacWrap, but for fun at the last minute, decided to try the lighter Distanza shaft.  Turns out it was a better match for me.  My golf buddies were amazed at how I was hitting it and they started hitting it - the single digit and low teen handicappers all hit it high, long and straight.  Had to wait almost 30 minutes to get the club back!

At the end, it was close between the Distanza and the SmacWrap, but just wound up hitting the Distanza better, on average, 10-15 yards longer than my G400s.  The local pro/fitter let me use the G710 7-iron with the Distanza shaft for several rounds this past week.  The club just works well for me and feels comfortable.  The light weight is noticeable, but it doesn't bother me. 

I am living proof that technology can only take you so far and that I still need to work on my swing (I can chunk anything!). 

I ordered the G710s with the Distanza shaft and they'll hopefully be here before Thanksgiving - just in time for the start of my weekly winter lessons...

Played with the 700's this Sat and all I can say is wow! The clack sound is gone, and they are long. Hit some of the best iron shots ever with these, the foam is staying intact, pun intended. I am amazed that I can really hit that 5 iron with ease, shocked really. I was going places my other irons only dreamed of going. Last hole stuck it to 1 1/2 feet for my birdie. Just had a blast. These make me look better than I am. just need to hit the sweet spot more often.

Bag is in overhaul mode

2 hours ago, Spotdog said:

Didn't start golf until I was 30, now almost 60, but love the game.  I've used the G400 irons (AWT regular shafts) for the past three seasons and they're a great set of clubs.  The 7 iron is my 140-150 yard club (I live in the Pacific Northwest so it's 150 yards when it's warm, dry and the fairway is downhill).

I definitely have bad habits - my swing is too steep, my most common shot is a fade (sometimes a slice), I don't hit it high enough, I can't hit a draw on purpose and I'm consistently inconsistent - perhaps like other 19 handicappers... 

Decided to go back to graphite shafts and tried the G410 and G710 among others - inside on a simulator (twice) and outside with a Trackman (twice).  Started with the Alta Red and Recoil SmacWrap regular shafts, and then the "senior" versions of each one.  Hit the 710 farther and more consistent than the 410 - no matter the shaft.  Was leaning towards the SmacWrap, but for fun at the last minute, decided to try the lighter Distanza shaft.  Turns out it was a better match for me.  My golf buddies were amazed at how I was hitting it and they started hitting it - the single digit and low teen handicappers all hit it high, long and straight.  Had to wait almost 30 minutes to get the club back!

At the end, it was close between the Distanza and the SmacWrap, but just wound up hitting the Distanza better, on average, 10-15 yards longer than my G400s.  The local pro/fitter let me use the G710 7-iron with the Distanza shaft for several rounds this past week.  The club just works well for me and feels comfortable.  The light weight is noticeable, but it doesn't bother me. 

I am living proof that technology can only take you so far and that I still need to work on my swing (I can chunk anything!). 

I ordered the G710s with the Distanza shaft and they'll hopefully be here before Thanksgiving - just in time for the start of my weekly winter lessons...

So how far are you hitting the G710 7 iron? You have an awesome pro by the way!

Bag is in overhaul mode

1 hour ago, platgof said:

So how far are you hitting the G710 7 iron? You have an awesome pro by the way!

The G710 7-iron is averaging 10-15 yards longer and even had one shot roll out to 170 yards - which is just ridiculously long for me (140-150 is my old 7-iron average).  Even the off center shots were averaging 135-140 yards.

The shot shape and height are also better, but I can still occasionally chunk one...

The Pro is awesome, said take the clubs/shafts and play a bunch of holes just using the G710 7-iron and play some rounds using the G710 as my 7-iron. Playing on the course helped really solidify the decision for the Distanza shaft.

10 hours ago, Spotdog said:

The G710 7-iron is averaging 10-15 yards longer and even had one shot roll out to 170 yards - which is just ridiculously long for me (140-150 is my old 7-iron average).  Even the off center shots were averaging 135-140 yards.

The shot shape and height are also better, but I can still occasionally chunk one...

The Pro is awesome, said take the clubs/shafts and play a bunch of holes just using the G710 7-iron and play some rounds using the G710 as my 7-iron. Playing on the course helped really solidify the decision for the Distanza shaft.

“Even had one shot rollout to 170 yards”.  

Not always a good thing. I‘ve had the g410’s in the bag since last season.  They are great irons, but ———-

At times I have hit them with more than enough height and still couldn’t hold the green. This is especially true with 7-iron and below.

Again, these are not thin shots or poor contact shots with no height. These are nice high solids shots into firm greens. 

I have had two different disappointing par 3’s my last two rounds at two different courses. Both are elevated greens so hitting short and running up is not an option. One was a 5I and one a 6I. In both cases I landed within a few yards of the pin. In one case I didn’t hold the green and went off the back leaving a very tricky downhill chip from the a gnarly rough. The other stayed on a relatively flat very large green leaving about a 65 ft putt. In both cases did not convert pars.

Again. In both cases there was plenty of height and both landed within 6-8 ft if the flag. 

The g410 irons are as good or better than any. That stated, in some cases, tradition lofts and spin have advantages.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

48 minutes ago, Cwing said:

“Even had one shot rollout to 170 yards”.  

Not always a good thing. I‘ve had the g410’s in the bag since last season.  They are great irons, but ———-

At times I have hit them with more than enough height and still couldn’t hold the green. This is especially true with 7-iron and below.

Again, these are not thin shots or poor contact shots with no height. These are nice high solids shots into firm greens. 

I have had two different disappointing par 3’s my last two rounds at two different courses. Both are elevated greens so hitting short and running up is not an option. One was a 5I and one a 6I. In both cases I landed within a few yards of the pin. In one case I didn’t hold the green and went off the back leaving a very tricky downhill chip from the a gnarly rough. The other stayed on a relatively flat very large green leaving about a 65 ft putt. In both cases did not convert pars.

Again. In both cases there was plenty of height and both landed within 6-8 ft if the flag. 

The g410 irons are as good or better than any. That stated, in some cases, tradition lofts and spin have advantages.

This. Exactly the issue I had with the G410’s...great irons but felt that I couldn’t attack flags with the thought  of “how much is this going to roll out” to add to my pre-shot routine. Always felt I had to land it short 10 yards to compensate for roll out even though they launched plenty high.  

Going to i210’s with slight lower lofts and more spin has allowed me to go straight at flags knowing that they will hop once and stop. 

I will say, the G410’s were slightly easier to hit in a variety of lies for what it’s worth. 

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 5W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

3 hours ago, jbandalo said:

This. Exactly the issue I had with the G410’s...great irons but felt that I couldn’t attack flags with the thought  of “how much is this going to roll out” to add to my pre-shot routine. Always felt I had to land it short 10 yards to compensate for roll out even though they launched plenty high.  

Going to i210’s with slight lower lofts and more spin has allowed me to go straight at flags knowing that they will hop once and stop. 

I will say, the G410’s were slightly easier to hit in a variety of lies for what it’s worth. 

I only add that this had not been much of an issue until recently. Very little rain and firm greens/ baked out fairways are the current local conditions.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Gotta have realistic expectations.  When the greens are hard as a rock NO iron will hold particularly well.

I played today and the fairways were HARD with almost no grass but the greens were soft.  I hit down hard on the ball so as to avoid thin strikes and the 410's did the rest, with a nice high flight that hit the green and bit.  High bounce and tight lie?  No problem as long as you come in steepish.  I love my 410's...but the 425's are calling now.  Not that I need them, it's a matter of "want" though.😍

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I won’t say the current conditions are “rock hard”. Firm yes but not rock hard and in some circumstances you cannot simply hit short and run up.

In both my recent cases, was shocked at the size of the divot considering where the ball wound up. In one case it was with a TM TP5. The other was with a Titleist AVX.

I’m not blaming g410. I’m guessing any of the current low spinning / high launching “distance irons” would have the same / similar result.

Edited by Cwing

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

...... as far a g425 irons.... not so much. As far as g425 driver, woods and hybrids. Absolutely interested.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

On 10/12/2020 at 2:30 PM, 3putt4thewin said:

I went with the KBS TGI shafts, 100 gram option for my G710s.  Feel really good and really liking the ball flight.  Coming from project x 6.0s I like these a lot.  Still have a decent weight but it's also lighter than what I had been playing.

The KBS TGI seem to have arrived with a bang. Tour Edge, which was limited in past with shaft selections for their irons, now has these as stock in last year's and this year's model.

Problem is, KBS site doesn't give much info on TGI shaft dynamics. KBS says TGI "plays like steel" and comes in eight different weight categories from 50-110 grams. (Heavier shafts are taper tip).

Other than this, KBS doesn't say much. Are these continuous weight? Are they flighted or anything else? Obviously not AWT.

On 10/12/2020 at 1:06 PM, Bob Merrill said:

ChipNRun - The Recoils which I was fitted for are the F3 Smac Wrap 80 gram, so lighter than the 95s and definitely lighter than steel. The 80 gm shaft provides swing speed benefits, without feeling like it isn't there. 

Does the Recoil 80 have any "asecending weight" element to it? The longer shafts in the Recoil 95s weigh a few grams less than the short iron shafts. Any such on the 80 gram?

Thanks to all - enlightening discussion! 👍 

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

Ψ  Backups:

Dml5ixJUUAA9Fkc.jpg.f659317c512c4f600d7d49e4d0dd70fe.jpg

37 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

The KBS TGI seem to have arrived with a bang. Tour Edge, which was limited in past with shaft selections for their irons, now has these as stock in last year's and this year's model.

Problem is, KBS site doesn't give much info on TGI shaft dynamics. KBS says TGI "plays like steel" and comes in eight different weight categories from 50-110 grams. (Heavier shafts are taper tip).

Other than this, KBS doesn't say much. Are these continuous weight? Are they flighted or anything else? Obviously not AWT.

Except the trimming, I believe they are constant weight.  I ordered the 100 gram weight.  This was on twitter I believe that shows the launch/spin info compared to their other shafts.  Wanted graphite but something that played similar to steel.  Had steelfibers and while they were stout, just didn't like the feel.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 3putt4thewin said:

This was on twitter I believe that shows the launch/spin info compared to their other shafts. 

Thanks. I had not seen the KBS updated shaft matrix.

Ψ  Backups: