Ping G400 vs. G410 vs. G710

39 minutes ago, 3putt4thewin said:

This was on twitter I believe that shows the launch/spin info compared to their other shafts. 

Thanks. I had not seen the KBS updated shaft matrix.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True point and shoot irons, they really are that easy.  

I have had my 710s since April and am really liking them now. They are a club longer than my G400s were and higher flying and very forgiving.

slolane - That's great to hear. I'm pulling the trigger on mine today.  

Posted Images

9 hours ago, jbandalo said:

This. Exactly the issue I had with the G410’s...great irons but felt that I couldn’t attack flags with the thought  of “how much is this going to roll out” to add to my pre-shot routine. Always felt I had to land it short 10 yards to compensate for roll out even though they launched plenty high.  

Going to i210’s with slight lower lofts and more spin has allowed me to go straight at flags knowing that they will hop once and stop. 

I will say, the G410’s were slightly easier to hit in a variety of lies for what it’s worth. 

Genuine question. I understand that the lofts are different club for club on the i210 and G410 and that affects spin. But wouldn't the same deg loft in each club have similar spin?

16 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

Does the Recoil 80 have any "asecending weight" element to it? The longer shafts in the Recoil 95s weigh a few grams less than the short iron shafts. Any such on the 80 gram?

ChipNRun - I don't think that there is an ascending weight element to the Recoils. Copied (from the website) below are the specs (I copied the Ion Plated version because that is what I was fitted with):

Recoil 760 ES SW F2 IP A 68g 4.1° Mid-High 0.600" 0.370" 5.5" 41"
Recoil 760 ES SW F3 IP R 70g 4.1° Mid-High 0.600" 0.370" 5.5" 41"
Recoil 780 ES SW F3 IP R 83g 3.6° Mid-High 0.600" 0.370" 5.5" 41"
Recoil 780 ES SW F4 IP S 87g 3.5° Mid-High 0.600"  0.370"  5.5"  41"

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Bob Merrill said:

ChipNRun - I don't think that there is an ascending weight element to the Recoils. Copied (from the website) below are the specs (I copied the Ion Plated version because that is what I was fitted with):

image.png.2ae42bf60d85c8fd89c02f8353175c4e.png

You are correct for Recoil parallel versions. The Recoil 760/780 ES are parallel tip, and thus would be neither constant weight nor ascending weight. To be creative, I had thought about going with 780 ES R-flex in 4i-6i, and softstepped S-Flex for 7i and above. This would be a side-door ascending weight move of sorts.

The new Recoil 80, however, is taper tip, and designed as a lighter version of the Recoil 95. The Recoil 80 appears to be constant weight, but some of the detail charts of the Recoil 95 show lighter shafts for longer irons, and heavier for short. (8i shafts on up all weigh 96 grams)

image.png.ac56cac2583bacbf223aa1158beaaefc.png

Don't know if Recoil 80 is just constant weight, or if it shows as ascending weight on more detailed charts. 

Edited by ChipNRun
Remove chart posted twice.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

16 hours ago, rlb4 said:

Genuine question. I understand that the lofts are different club for club on the i210 and G410 and that affects spin. But wouldn't the same deg loft in each club have similar spin?

They don't as the COG in each is different.  You would think that the G410 8 iron would have the same spin as a i210 7 iron but that wasn't the case.  

• Thanks 1

DRIVER - PING G410 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G410 3W

HYBRIDS - PING G410 3H

IRONS - PING i210 4-PW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 3.0 50, 54 & 58

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON NEWPORT 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a 10 handicap player and recently upgraded my irons from Taylormade M2 steel shafts to Ping g710 steel set.  I absolutely LOVE how these look.  I keep reminding myself that looks shouldn't matter, but I can't help it.  They're just gorgeous looking clubs.  I decided to upgrade to Pings because I had owned my M2's for about 5 years and never really loved them all that much.  I also noticed my distance suffering a bit as I just turned 50.  A 7 iron used to be my 150 yard club but it had dipped to 140-145.

After hitting my g710's for four rounds now, I'm getting probably 150 and sometimes more with my new 7 iron.  I love the higher launch I'm also getting. However, what I'm also seeing is a slice emerge with these irons.  I don't remember having an issue with a slice hitting a 7 or 8 iron but with the G710s, about half the time, that's what is happening.  

Because I no longer have my M2's, I grabbed my old big bertha irons from years ago and hit some shots with them yesterday.  I was surprised how good I was hitting them.  I much prefer the G710's on the looks compartment and I appreciate an additional 10 yards.  However, there wasn't much in the way of a slice when hitting the old big bertha irons.

So, the question I pose to you guys is why would a new set of irons all of a sudden bring out a slice?  Being that the slice wasn't present very often with the M2s or the big bertha irons, I don't feel like I should try changing my swing just to accommodate the G710's.  Could it be the much larger heads?  I should add, that when I choke down on my G710's, I can take the slice out but then I don't get the distance.  I can't express how frustrating it is to hit an 8 iron and slice it into the bunker.  I wonder if the G410's would work better for me with them having a more compact head.  I'm not giving up on my G710's yet, because I really want them to work, but that slice is just killing me.

Edited by theorangeman

I struggled a bit at first with the 710s when I moved the ball back in my stance it has really helped. Playing the ball in the middle of my stance caused thin shots and slices. Now I am hitting it pure and scoring better. It may or may not work for you but has really helped me with ball striking.

Driver Ping G400 max 10.5 Distanza

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

5 - u wedge Ping G710 Irons Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Calloway 58 easy out sand wedge

Bettenardi studio stock #3 putter

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2020 at 1:28 PM, theorangeman said:

I'm a 10 handicap player and recently upgraded my irons from Taylormade M2 steel shafts to Ping g710 steel set.  I absolutely LOVE how these look.  I keep reminding myself that looks shouldn't matter, but I can't help it.  They're just gorgeous looking clubs.  I decided to upgrade to Pings because I had owned my M2's for about 5 years and never really loved them all that much.  I also noticed my distance suffering a bit as I just turned 50.  A 7 iron used to be my 150 yard club but it had dipped to 140-145.

After hitting my g710's for four rounds now, I'm getting probably 150 and sometimes more with my new 7 iron.  I love the higher launch I'm also getting. However, what I'm also seeing is a slice emerge with these irons.  I don't remember having an issue with a slice hitting a 7 or 8 iron but with the G710s, about half the time, that's what is happening.  

Because I no longer have my M2's, I grabbed my old big bertha irons from years ago and hit some shots with them yesterday.  I was surprised how good I was hitting them.  I much prefer the G710's on the looks compartment and I appreciate an additional 10 yards.  However, there wasn't much in the way of a slice when hitting the old big bertha irons.

So, the question I pose to you guys is why would a new set of irons all of a sudden bring out a slice?  Being that the slice wasn't present very often with the M2s or the big bertha irons, I don't feel like I should try changing my swing just to accommodate the G710's.  Could it be the much larger heads?  I should add, that when I choke down on my G710's, I can take the slice out but then I don't get the distance.  I can't express how frustrating it is to hit an 8 iron and slice it into the bunker.  I wonder if the G410's would work better for me with them having a more compact head.  I'm not giving up on my G710's yet, because I really want them to work, but that slice is just killing me.

Interesting the 710 is going further than the M2 as the loft is slightly weaker. Perhaps it's the lower spin.

But it is your swing. You admit as much. It's just happening a bit more often now.

One must remember that the smallest differences in swing or equipment can make a noticeable difference in results.

A fade is a clubface slightly open to path. A slice is the same swing with the face a bit more open to path. Assuming the swing is exactly the same (often unlikely) this is a very small difference producing a more fade biased flight.

Unlike the driver, where more weight to the toe should inhibit the face closing, in irons the extra weight towards the toe, which SGIs like the 710 likely have, is supposed to help SQUARE the face at impact. That said, everyone's different and it sounds like you're simply not squaring up the face quite as often as you did with your older irons (BB & M2).

Now if one is very comfortable with one's swing and love the new clubs, the "fix" could be as simple as ever-so-slightly strengthening your grip. We're not talking 15 degrees here, just a really small adjustment. All other things being equal that should deliver the toe slightly more square at impact. 

Good luck.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Adams A12 Idea Pro hybrid, 16*, Aldila 85 VS Proto Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

Has anyone tried mixing the G710 irons with the G410? Give it a try and let us know. I plan on ordering this set up next spring, except G425 irons. But they will have to be very good to replace what I have now, that is working great. 

winter time, the pause that refreshes

Ping Max 10.5

Cobra F9 5,7 wds

RBZ 5,6 hybrids

G700 5-7 iron

Cobra F9 8-aw

MD5 54 10S

Toulon Columbus

Maxfli Tour