• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If someone, somewhere in the world, sneezes within a half hour of you hitting a hybrid, the ball will hook so badly, it will land on the exact same spot from which you hit it. Otherwise, they're great

Well you must not hit your 5 wood properly then

If you get a 7 wood it will be your favorite club after about three rounds.

I would think going with lofts vs. arbitrary numbers on the bottom of clubs would help more as I don't know of many 18-19* 7 woods. Also depends on main use, off the tee or an approach club.

SM 3.5 Bag:

G410 Plus 9* w/ Tensei Orange Pro 6X

TM Sim Ti 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ Evenflow EF T1100 6.0

TBD

TBD

Piretti Potenza II 365g 34"

I've said this in past threads .. I am a big fan of a 7w AND a 4h

Both clubs offer many different types of shots .. for different lies and situations

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

7w for high shots … and less hooks

hybrids for bump and run chips, knock downs into greens, punch outs and recovery shots, coming out of the rough, draw shots etc etc

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

If you get a 7 wood it will be your favorite club after about three rounds.

• Like 1

PING G10 Plus 1W (Ventus Blue 6X)

PING G425 Max 3W / 7W (Ventus Blue 7X)

MIZUNO MP-20 HMB 2i / 4i (Ventus Blue 9X)

MIZUNO MP-20 Blades 5i-PW (Modus 120 Stiff)

TITLEIST Vokey SM8 52F / 58M (Modus 120 Stiff)

LAB Directed Force 2.1 | Pro V1x | CP2 Pro & Wrap

All depends on your gaps at the high end of your bag. I've played 2 different loft 7 woods. I had to change between the 2 depending on the irons I was playing at the time. 1 7 wood is 20.5 and one is 22. Even with that the newer 20.5 goes 10 to 15 yards further then the 22. You need to decide what gap you can manage with a specific 7 wood or 3 hybrid.

I find the 7 wood very good even from the rough. It replaced my 4 iron and gapped to my 4 wood to also eliminate my 5 wood.

3h = 5w

4h = 7w

Totally depends what you like to look down at and what yardage you need filled.

SIM Max 9* | Ventus Black 6x

Cobra Speedzone Big 3 Tour| HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Cobra Speedzone | Accra FX 2.0 380M5

Titleist 818H1 | Ventus blue 10x (Cobra Forged Tec Black 5i testing)

Cobra Forged Tec Black 6i | AMT X100 Onyx

Cobra Forged CB 6-GW incoming????

Cleveland Zipcore 54/10, CBX Full face 60/10 | S400 Tour Issue Onyx

Custom Atwood

TP5

Whichever fits your swing and launch characteristics.

I went thru a fitting last week and ended up with ping i210, and The i500 was in the group tested.

I ended up going with the 410 crossover. If your hitting your 4 iron well, I would see if the 410 crossover is within your launch window.

I also chose to gap my crossover from my strong 3 wood, not from my 3 iron because its a hard rip driving iron into fairways not par 3 tee shot club.

Also I like to hit stingers which you won’t be able to do with a hybrid or 7 wood.

Something to consider for course set-up, if you want proper spacing from your longest wood vs longest iron?

I was impressed with the I-series, and went back to Ping because they launch high and spin was respectable.

If possible, try different options/combinations at the top end of your bag to see what works best for you.

My current setup:

Driver

17* 4w

22* 7w

25* 9w

2017 M2's 6i-AW

52, 56, 60 (although I really don't even use the 60; it just fills the final slot prior to the putter)

The M2 set came with a 19* 3h and 22* 4h and 5i-PW. I'd been struggling with my hybrids for too long, and after going to a driving range with Toptracer technology I finally accepted that I'm hitting both hybrids the same distance, and neither one well. I decided to try a 7w and almost immediately kicked out both hybrids. I was finally getting good ball flight along with consistent strikes and distances. I was also not hitting my 5 iron very well, so decided to try the 9w. It pretty much immediately kicked the 5i out of the bag.

My index dropped from 18 to 16 immediately after making the change, and dropped to 15.1 with the first score posted in the new season last Sunday. I'm using the Hireko Acer XDS fairway woods that cost around $70 shipped.

I usually hook hybrids like crazy, so I've never gamed one. But it looks like manufacturers are starting to fix that problem with their hybrids.

I recently went to a pxg fitting and was able to hit a hybrid, 3* flat, with all weights on toe for a fade bias. I was pleasantly surprised.

I also heard some good reviews on the Callaway super hybrid. It comes with tensei pro orange shaft stock, which I really like. Really nice, stiff, low spin, low launch, counter balanced premium shaft. So I decided to order one. Only down side is 4-6 week backorder. So I'm patiently waiting.

I have owned 3H (Ping G410) and now own a 7 wood (Ping G410 SFT). I find the 7 wood to be super easy to hit. I am needing a better or right shaft in it however. At least that is my current thinking. My current shaft (Prolaunch blue) is a bit to whippy and my distance I get is to close to my 9 wood. I get a high ball flight with my 7 wood and it seems to just spin to much and I lose distance. I have tried changing the loft down on my 7 wood to 20.5* and my 9 wood up to 25*, but still seem to get the same distance. At least this is what I feel like when on the course. This could be due to my ability to strike my 9 wood better at the length I have it at. Currently 9 wood is 40 inches and 7 wood 41 inches. I will try a different shaft and see what my results are. I would very much like to be able to keep both the 7 wood and 9 wood in the bag, but that may not be the case. But 7 wood all day for me over a 3H.

I grew up a 7 wood guy but have switched over to 3 hybrid and am considering throwing a 4 hybrid in this year as well. Currently playing 4w, 3h, 4i and it gaps pretty well. I've never experienced the hooking problems others have had with hybrids but I think there are large differences between different types of hybrids. More forgiving vs players hybrids makes a big difference imo.

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* 

TEE CBX 119 4wd 16.5*

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3h 19*

Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4i

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-GW

Scratch 56* DS

Toulon Atlanta

I would agree with right shaft for 7w, seems a heavy, low/low type shaft is good, already high launch. I had never played one, gambled on the smoke 80, really liking it, fantastic for fairway bunkers or shots from distance when you need to get the ball up.

mavrik at 21*

GBB Ventus Black 6
F9 Tour 3w-Ventus black 7
F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70
F9 21* hybrid - ATMOS black 

F9 24* hybrid Hzrdus smoke 
JPX921F 6-G LZ Blackout 
MD5 53/58
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 

I’ve always been a hybrid guy..3H, 4H and sometimes a 5H...but I seem to have the same problem as most, the dreaded hook. I’ve tried a Callaway Heavenwood last year but hated it. I did add a weak 5 wood last season and do like it a lot. As I get older might give the 7 wood a try again.

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Alta 55 S
  • Woods - Callaway Epic 15* Hzurdus 6.0 /  Callaway Epic 18* (19*) Hzurdus 5.5
  • Hybrids - Titliest 818 H1 21* Tensei Red R / Titliest 818 H1 25*(24*) Tensei Red R
  • Irons -  Callaway Rogue Pro 5-PW UST Recoil ES 460 F3
  • Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT /  Callaway PM Grind 54* KBS HiSpin 115
  • Putter - Odyssey O-Works 7 34.5” ... Golf Pride SNSR Contour Pro
  • Ball - Titliest ProV1x left dash
  • Grips -  Golf Pride Tour Velvet 58R one wrap RH