Jumbomax grips impact on swingweight?

Currently playing a G400 Max driver with a regular 58g grip. Speeder EVII S shaft. I have huge hands and want to try the Jumbomax grip. The medium size Jumbomax wrap grip weighs 105g.

Will I need to add 47g to the driver head to achieve the same feel?

If so, is hotmelt the way to go? Looks like heaviest tungsten weight to replace the stock is 18g.

Thanks for the help!

You should base your SW on using a std grip (52grams). Adding weight to the head to reach some SW number is a bad move. You will end up with a club that is so heavy, you won’t be able to use it. Put on the grips and use they for a while. If you then feel you need to add weight, then do it slowly.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I'm certainly not a club fitter and will never claim to be. But I think all the swing weight stuff is over-rated and in MY EXPERIENCE made no difference at all. Almost 6-7 months ago I swapped from the Golf Pride NDMC Plus 4's to the Jumbomax medium grips that weighed right at 100 grams. Obviously there was a change in feel but nothing negative in my book. Dispersion was better and actually picked up about 8-10 yards throughout the bag. Because of looks only I swapped to the Ultralights a couple of months ago. Still same great dispersion and increased distance. I for one will never go back to conventional sized grips. I can hold these clubs with the lightest grip pressure and they are still stable throughout the hitting area.

I can't see how you could go wrong trying these.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

No, you shouldn't add anything to the driver head. What the heavier grip might do to the swing weight scale is NOT a reflection of what it might do to the swing weight feel. The swing weight scale was never designed or intended to help keep the feel the same due to grip side weight changes.

And that doesn't mean that swing weight isn't important or over-rated, it ONLY means that the swing weight scale isn't being used the way it was designed to be used or that the swing weight concept isn't really understood properly.

What you should do is just test the club out w/o changing the head weight and simply see how it feels before doing anything at all. Now, it does mean the static weight of the club is changing and ideally that means refitting yourself for head weight. But to do that, you don't use the swing weight scale or any past swing weight values, you lighten up the head a little if possible, go to the range with some lead tape and add it incrementally while hitting balls. When you find the amount of added weight that gives the best feel and results, you've found the best head weight for the new configuration. You can leave the lead tape or replace it with something more permanent, that's entirely up to you. You can then use the swing weight scale to record the results and use that for future reference for any future build with the same shaft weight, the same playing length and the same grip weight. If any of those changes, that swing weight value is no longer useful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have six sets of irons with JUMbomax grips. Will never go back. Just try them out. Will take you three rounds to adjust to the new swing weight. Their ultra lite grips are not great quality compared to their tour grips. Their non tapered grips are crap. IMO

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

Oh man I love the Ultralight grips. Haven't had any quality issues with them at all.

And I too will never go back!!!!!!!!!!!!

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I can’t comment too much on the science behind swing weight but I can tell you that most people don’t give their abilities to adapt enough credit. Guaranteed, after 5 or so range sessions or rounds of golf you will no longer notice the difference. Your mind will adapt and then ignore the feel change. Think about people who play golf and baseball on a regular basis. Are they incapable of playing golf in the morning then baseball in the afternoon? The swing weight of a batt is a lot different then a club. 

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

14 hours ago, marmaduk said:

I can’t comment too much on the science behind swing weight but I can tell you that most people don’t give their abilities to adapt enough credit. Guaranteed, after 5 or so range sessions or rounds of golf you will no longer notice the difference. Your mind will adapt and then ignore the feel change. Think about people who play golf and baseball on a regular basis. Are they incapable of playing golf in the morning then baseball in the afternoon? The swing weight of a batt is a lot different then a club. 

Some can adapt easily, others can have problems adapting.  Don't judge other's ability based on your own.  And for those that can, it's not always a reliable adaption - at least not after just a few range sessions.   It's one thing to groove a swing on the range, hitting the same club over and over again.  It's completely different when you only have one shot with a club, on the course and under pressure.  That kind of adaption can take much longer.

But the whole point of equipment fitting is to adapt the club to the swing, not the other way around.  It's much easier (isn't golf hard enough as it is?) and it's much more effective and reliable if done properly.

Edited by Stuart_G

No, I still disagree. A better analogy would be driving a new car for the first time. If you’ve been driving for a while and rent a car on vacation it won’t take you too long to adapt to the new car. I think the same goes for golf clubs an arguably less dangerous pursuit. But, if swing weight is important they make a light version of their grips that weigh the same as a normal grip but are still large. 

6 hours ago, marmaduk said:

No, I still disagree. A better analogy would be driving a new car for the first time. If you’ve been driving for a while and rent a car on vacation it won’t take you too long to adapt to the new car. I think the same goes for golf clubs an arguably less dangerous pursuit. But, if swing weight is important they make a light version of their grips that weigh the same as a normal grip but are still large. 

I once had a set of shafts that were too light and too soft.  After two years of people (who were really clueless about equipment fitting) telling me they were fine and "I'd get used to them" they were still driving me crazy and causing problems.   Problems that went away almost instantly as soon as I finally reshafted the clubs.   I've also been reading threads from other players about similar long term struggles with bad fitting clubs for almost 10 years now.  So disagree all you want but I know for a fact that it's not always possible for players to adjust and there is plenty of evidence to support it if you take the time to look through the archives.

And coordination and dexterity required for driving is trivial compared to the complexity of the mechanics of a golf swing.  So, no it's not really a good analogy at all  - even if you that included rentals of standard shift cars.   The clutch is the only thing in a car that really requires any significant adjustment and even that is pretty easy to adjust to in less than an hour of driving.

Edited by Stuart_G

Hmmm. Maybe driving wasn’t the greatest analogy but I guarantee that you have 100-1,000x more driving time than golfing so your skill level is much higher at driving and thus you are able to adapt faster. Maybe parallel parking a rental truck when you own a Fiat 500? 

Your comments above about just trying the grips and bringing lead tape to the range ring true. I agree there. In fact I think we agree on 90% of this topic. Sure there are outliers and mileage may vary. The only difference is that I believe in your abilities Stuart, and those of the people in the forum, which is arguably more important. There is no swing weight “between the ears” Golf is a mental game first and swing weight is mainly a mental block IMO. 

Edited by marmaduk

On 3/17/2020 at 3:18 PM, T-3 said:

Currently playing a G400 Max driver with a regular 58g grip. Speeder EVII S shaft. I have huge hands and want to try the Jumbomax grip. The medium size Jumbomax wrap grip weighs 105g.

Will I need to add 47g to the driver head to achieve the same feel?

If so, is hotmelt the way to go? Looks like heaviest tungsten weight to replace the stock is 18g.

Thanks for the help!

PS. How did the experiment work out? 

9 hours ago, marmaduk said:

Your comments above about just trying the grips and bringing lead tape to the range ring true. I agree there. In fact I think we agree on 90% of this topic.

Most likely.  I do tend to nit pick at the points I disagree with (no matter how subtle) and ignore the parts I do agree with 😉

But a better analogy is switching dexterity.  e.g. a right handed person trying to teach themselves how to throw a ball left handed.   Some will be able to do it really well, some will fail completely, some will manage with only mediocre results.

9 hours ago, marmaduk said:

There is no swing weight “between the ears” Golf is a mental game first and swing weight is mainly a mental block IMO. 

It's more than just mental.  In fact, while ones mental state of mind is certainly a critical aspect in golf, the swing itself mostly not not mental - it's neurological.  There is just too many actions that have to be coordinated is such a small time frame, there is no way we can mentally control the swing.  That's why it takes years to build up the neuro pathways to coordinate the complex motion - and in many cases months or even years in some cases to try to ingrain a change in the mechanics.

What we feel from the club as resistance from it's weight (external feedback) and what we feel our body (internal feedback) doing is what is used (subconsciously) to control the swing - particularly the timing in coordinating the action.  Most people do it without even being aware of it.  It's been built in to that neurological mapping of the action we call a golf swing.  Some people rely more on the internal feedback, others rely more on external feedback.    The more one relies on those types of external feedback, the more ingrained it is and the harder it is to retrain when the feel from the club changes.  The people who rely more on the internal feedback are the ones that can much more easily adjust to changes from the club.

On top of that, when it doesn't feel right, we loose confidence that's hard to get back no matter how good the mechanics actually turned out.  And this is the part where the mental part of the game really comes into play.  When confidence goes, the swing goes with it and it's not easy to get it back.  So yes, swing weight (and other aspects of the club feel) really can be between the ears.

Edited by Stuart_G