Corona Virus Change In Our Course Local Rule

Thoughts on this? Our course will be raising the cup 1" above the ground so no one has to touch the flag or reach into the cup. This will go into affect tomorrow at our course in SoCal. If your ball touches the cup it is considered holed.

Not crazy about the rule, but better than shutting down the course. Interested in your thoughts or if your club is doing anything similar, different.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like we went the pool noodle route as well, probably easier on the grounds crew is my guess. Worked fine, didnt even think about it after the first couple of holes.

There are tons of other clubs doing that. I've seen reports from multiple spots in the US and even in Australia. Don't think it is a big deal.

FWIW, one of the notes I got specifically asked that players were generous with gimmes and that anything inside the leather was to be considered good.

Actually a really good idea. We have mandatory flags in and they removed the rakes from the course - playing LCP for the time being in the bunker. Mandatory single carts if you have to ride.

SIM Max 12* - HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s 
SIM 2i UDI Diamana Thump / 5i Steelfiber 95s
M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95s
TM Milled Grind 54* / 58*
Cleveland RTX 62*
Putter / TM TP5 Pix

Honestly people dealt with it really well in our opening event Saturday. Air fist bumps or elbows - really no huge deal tbh.

Plus if the option is having the course completely closed? I'll take what I can get and be darn thankful.

SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s 
M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95s
Cleveland RTX 62*
Putter / TM TP5 Pix

Lot's of courses in the Greater Seattle area are cutting the cup with 1" of the liner above ground with the rule that if your ball touches the cup, it is holed. I understand the reasoning and respect why it is being done. I think it is a great idea given the circumstances that allows us to continue to play the game we love.

That said, I don't love the rule lol mostly because it removes one of the core skills of the game and takes away some of the fun/challenge. I would like to think that it will help speed up play but who knows. On the other hand, I am extremely grateful that golf is still available to be played!!! I'd much rather be on the course firing at pins than sitting inside staring at a screen, or rolling putts inside. If this is what golf looks like for the foreseeable future, then I will take it 100 times out of 100 to continue playing while we are under the quarantine / social distancing rules.

Stay healthy WRXers!

They removed all rakes (bunkers are tough now) and they put a foam do-hickie ( like pipe insulator) around the pin so the ball stays up for easy removal. All doors are open in the club and hand wash is everywhere but only in to pee. Otherwise we are outside only and we are never within 6 to 10 feet of anyone else.

still expect the government will stop it soon. But really, if you take a dog out for a walk I see no real difference between that and walking a course.

Ping 9° G410+ tensi orange s
Ping 3 Wood G410+ tour 75 shaft s.  
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s
Adams 9031 23° Mitsubishi diamana 
Ping G710 DG 105 R300
Ping glide stealth 54° es grind
Ping glide 2 58°. ES
Ping anser f titanium pixel.  

Seems like we went the pool noodle route as well, probably easier on the grounds crew is my guess. Worked fine, didnt even think about it after the first couple of holes.

YBHGXMYR3AD0.jpg

• Like 2

SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s 
M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95s
Cleveland RTX 62*
Putter / TM TP5 Pix

dcmidnight, my home club did the same thing yesterday. At first they were going to raise the clubs but it would be a nightmare for green mower so they used those foam noodles. But they are thinking about using 2" PVC cut to around 2 1/2" long. Similar to what Pinehurst Resorts had posted.

Bag of Hackin' Utensils 

TM SIM 10.5 GD XC-6 stiff

TM SIM 15 & 19 Diamana 75 stiff

TM M1 Rescue 22* stiff

TM P760 4-PW DG 120 S300

MG2 50, 54 & 60

2Ball 45" putter

Edit to my earlier post... played a round on Friday and that course had true cups cut but with the pool noodle / turf mat cut for inside the hole so you could still "hole out" putts. I liked this way better than the raised cup. Now that is what I am checking for on courses websites before booking a tee time lol

Our course put the cups in upside down and pin still in, has the same result as the pool noodle once the ball is holed. I would hate having the cup 1" above the green as that makes putting way less skillful and that;s where I pick up strokes on my buddies.

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim Max 10.5* | Mitsubishi Tensei Red Regular
3 WD -        Taylor Made Sim Max 14* | Ventus Red Regular 
HYBRIDS-   PXG Gen 2 -  2/3/4 | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
IRONS -       PXG Gen 3 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX XL Ultralight grips on ALL 
PUTTER -   PXG Gunboat H 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag
BALLS -       Snell MTB Black / Pro V1

Last Thursday, we raised the cups up. I ended up holing out from about 100 yards. Ball landed a foot past the pin, and dinked off the raised cup. I counted it as a 2, I'm 99.9% sure it would have gone in anyway, though.

Ping G410 Plus 9* Diamana Ahina 70X
TaylorMade M5 14* Diamana Ahina 70X
TaylorMade M5 19* Diamana China 80X
Ping i500 4-UW Project X LZ 6.0
Ping Glide 2.0 54 & Stealth 58 ES Project X LZ 6.0
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

I honestly don't get your point. We have never dealt with a contagious virus like this. I am out playing for fun, shooting mid 70s, not going to be playing on tour any time soon. If I prefer to not putt out right now, because putting my hand in a cup that potentially another 100 people already have done that day, why does that bother you? Not to mention courses all over the country (if open) are trying to avoid this exact situation by raising cups or putting another cup inside to shallow it.