Marcus Bell - Zen Golf

10 hours ago, Scyukon said:

I think you can buy the training video off Vimeo but i think it was around $300 US. How did you get the board without getting the video? I had only one choice when buying could not purchase board only but glad i got the video too certainly lays out the path to learning his swing it appears. Time will tell.

Marcus did a youtube live session where he answered a lot of questions re his teaching. Some of the stuff he talks about sounds like advertising mumbo jumbo, but I do feel that there is a lot of merit in finding your own rhythm and getting rid of all the external noise surrounding positions etc etc. This has certainly helped me a lot on the course.

[size=3][b][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Just hit the damn ball.[/font][/b][/size]
[size=2]TM R1[/size]
[size=2]Adams Tight lies 2 5w[/size]
[size=2]Cleveland Mashie 5h[/size]
[s][size=2]Nike Covert Forged 2, 6-PW[/size][/s]
[size=2]Lynx Prowler VT 5-PW[/size]
[size=2]Cleveland 588 Tour Action 51*[/size]
[size=2]MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*[/size]
[size=2]Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini.[/size]

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

his videos are really interesting, I like the way he gets everyone to focus on the target and not get fixed on the ball, and get's them shifting weight. But most of all I like the smiles on peoples fa

I made my own balance board from a scrap of 3/4” plywood and a piece of PVC, attached with Gorilla tape. It has held up for months. 

Since this is about golf - why not use epoxy?  Superglue only works if the surfaces fit well together - if there are variances in the surfaces you need something that can hold them together better - I

Posted Images

Very frustrated at the moment. Finally scratch out some time to start the exercises per the video, and the first time i try out my self repaired disk with the board, the magnet comes apart from the disk again. Check the tracking of the new disks - estimate April 28!

@##$&&*(())’!!!!!

so instead of repairing my swing, I’m off to the garage to try and repair my disk again. Tempted to drill a couple holes and countersink some screws but would probably end up cracking the entire disk.

I’m going to sand or Dremel off the excess glue this time. Not sure what the paper was in there for to begin with but it’s  going away before i give the superglue another chance.

i knew the day was going too well, lol.

image.jpg

Edited by Scyukon
Add photo

Thank god I found my dremel. Almost gave up and sat down to watch live from the masters. Would have taken years to scrape off the old glue and my superglue. It’s nice and scuffed now so hopefully holds better this time. Really would be nice to get going  with device so can report on my experience so others can benefit. Fingers crossed repair try 2 holds this time.

image.jpg

34 minutes ago, Scyukon said:

Very frustrated at the moment. Finally scratch out some time to start the exercises per the video, and the first time i try out my self repaired disk with the board, the magnet comes apart from the disk again. Check the tracking of the new disks - estimate April 28!

@##$&&*(())’!!!!!

so instead of repairing my swing, I’m off to the garage to try and repair my disk again. Tempted to drill a couple holes and countersink some screws but would probably end up cracking the entire disk.

I’m going to sand or Dremel off the excess glue this time. Not sure what the paper was in there for to begin with but it’s  going away before i give the superglue another chance.

i knew the day was going too well, lol.

image.jpg

Try Gorilla spray adhesive. 

7 minutes ago, Scyukon said:

Thanks I will do - just off to store now so will pick some up.

Since this is about golf - why not use epoxy?  Superglue only works if the surfaces fit well together - if there are variances in the surfaces you need something that can hold them together better - I would use epoxy that you would use to shaft golf clubs.

• Like 2

PXG 0811X 9º Proto driver, PXG 0811X+ 10.5º Proto driver

PXG 0341x Gen2 15º  3W. 18º  5W

PXG 0317x Gen2 22º  4h, 0317x Gen2 19º 3h, 25º 5h, 28º 6h

PXG 0311P Gen3 5-W

PXG 0311 Forged wedges - 50º, 54º, 58º

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat - 33"/34", Lucky D, Bat Attack, Blackjack. One & Done

6 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

Since this is about golf - why not use epoxy?  Superglue only works if the surfaces fit well together - if there are variances in the surfaces you need something that can hold them together better - I would use epoxy that you would use to shaft golf clubs.

I will take that under advisement as well since I can’t make to the closest store that has gorilla adhesive spray before they close in 6 minutes. Time to watch my tape of Live at the Masters anyways lol.

9 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

If you have club epoxy that's probably even better. 

I grabbed my Gorilla spray the other day because it was sitting there in front of me. My issue was with a SuperStroke counter weight. The weight part had come loose from the part that screws into the grip. Both parts are metal. I think the spray worked (it's pretty good stuff) but I also have clubmaking epoxy which would have been even better. 

4 hours ago, me05501 said:

If you have club epoxy that's probably even better. 

I grabbed my Gorilla spray the other day because it was sitting there in front of me. My issue was with a SuperStroke counter weight. The weight part had come loose from the part that screws into the grip. Both parts are metal. I think the spray worked (it's pretty good stuff) but I also have clubmaking epoxy which would have been even better. 

Thanks. I don’t have clubmaking epoxy but I did a bit of research and will be going to pick some up later today. Thanks for the tips everyone.

So far so good. Made it halfway through the video and my repaired disc is holding up. I’m the one that’s worn out already lol!
 So far my only suggestion for video improvements would be how many reps of each of the exercises should one do, and when is it logical to move on to the next exercise in the training sequence. I think I may sign into one of Marcus’s YouTube live sessions to inquire about this. But so far the movements to bring in the ground forces are not something I’ve ever tried in swinging the club before (but obviously are something that better golfers do in an efficient swing) so I am very excited to be starting to train my body to those feelings.

Anyways glad to finally be up and running with this training system. 

• Like 2

I had a lesson (3 hours) with Marcus last August and it was superb. I’m a high handicapper having just over a year of playing time. I’d had some lessons before but my head was filled with swing thoughts and my body very tense. Marcus freed that up and I was hitting draws and fades for the first time after 5 balls and I put over 20 yds on pretty much every club.

I’ve had further lessons cancelled due to lockdowns but now booked in for September. I think the next available lessons are October now!!

On the course I’m much more confident, am hitting further and actually shaping the ball. Friends have been amazed at the transformation with just one lesson but I do feel I need more to progress. And my scores have come down around 10 shots but difficult to be exact because of the disruption due to lockdowns. The main thing is that I’m enjoying my golf.

I have bought the GRF board but not tried it yet do to a running injury. However I’ve watched the video and can visualise how it’ll feel to use it. Cant wait for my knee to heal so I can get on the board and on the course.

There’s good interaction with Marcus through his Instagram live sessions and also his YouTube live sessions. He answers questions about the board and how to use it. He’s also on Facebook (Students of Zen).

His style may not be for everyone, particularly if you’re looking for a more technical approach but for me he’s been great and I’d thoroughly recommend checking him out.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, ianr said:

I had a lesson (3 hours) with Marcus last August and it was superb. I’m a high handicapper having just over a year of playing time. I’d had some lessons before but my head was filled with swing thoughts and my body very tense. Marcus freed that up and I was hitting draws and fades for the first time after 5 balls and I put over 20 yds on pretty much every club.

I’ve had further lessons cancelled due to lockdowns but now booked in for September. I think the next available lessons are October now!!

On the course I’m much more confident, am hitting further and actually shaping the ball. Friends have been amazed at the transformation with just one lesson but I do feel I need more to progress. And my scores have come down around 10 shots but difficult to be exact because of the disruption due to lockdowns. The main thing is that I’m enjoying my golf.

I have bought the GRF board but not tried it yet do to a running injury. However I’ve watched the video and can visualise how it’ll feel to use it. Cant wait for my knee to heal so I can get on the board and on the course.

There’s good interaction with Marcus through his Instagram live sessions and also his YouTube live sessions. He answers questions about the board and how to use it. He’s also on Facebook (Students of Zen).

His style may not be for everyone, particularly if you’re looking for a more technical approach but for me he’s been great and I’d thoroughly recommend checking him out.

Right on thanks for the confirmation, inspires me to get down to the basement and continue training. Good luck with your injury recovery.

On 9/1/2020 at 1:01 PM, AndersUK said:

My only concern is that some of the students now look like they sway way off the ball, leave the club behind them and then flip at impact to make contact?

I’ve already got that shot. 😁

Edited by Cwing
  • Haha 1

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5” vs Callaway Max 10.5* Rogue Max
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos vs Callaway Max 15*
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven TU, Seemore si3, si5, Directed Force Reno, PING Ketsch
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Shot Scope V3

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I just took a couple of videos from early days (2 days in) so I can see if starting to get some of the early rotation and whip. Will be interesting to compare to maybe a few weeks or month down the road to see how movements are (or are not) getting ingrained. As usual I’m impatient so had to hit some balls to see if working or not. Hit a few good 8 irons (the one in one video went 148) and one other I tried to film (but messed up) went 158. However most went 135ish so no real consistent gain yet but as always I want it all now and lack patience. Definitely felt like had more and earlier hip rotation on most swings though. Goats may eventually be safe. 😉 

For reference, I am 55, probably a 25-30 handicap (struggle to break 100 these days), at best was about a 10 76-83, but that was when 16 and playing twice a day (aka a long time ago).

After hitting balls i jumped ahead towards the drills at the end, which aim to blend together the 3 dimensional forces to result in a proper pivot. It sure would be great to have one of those force measuring boards that Marcus has. Watching the force line rotate about 60 degrees counterclockwise from right heel to right toe (and converse for left foot) in one of his free YouTube videos really hammered home the way that the forces should move. Having been a lateral slider for so long i think it is going to take a lot of drilling to ingrain a better movement. 

Edited by Scyukon
  • Like 1