SuperStroke WristLock???

Mclancy94

First round with a Wristlock grip fitted to my Cameron Futura 2003... and the short review it works brilliantly.

Mind you, here's some info that may help you decide if it's for you too...

• I'd say you need +/- 3 inch extension if you want to maintain same posture - I have the wristlock bump resting about almost halfway up my forearm (which also seems to mean less forward press required), if you like it lower than you may need less extension to your putter length
  • I'm left handed but play golf right handed, and that also means i'm left eye dominant. As a result i'd already found that I putt far, far better and can see the line when I setup with the putter about at my left big toe - so way forward. This kind of naturally gets my left wrist and forearm more 'flat' so the wristlock forward press is very easily achieved for me... without it seems any need to worry about putter loft. For a more normal setup (ball further back) then i'd suspect more putter loft may be needed - but for me, the forward ball position would add loft but then the forward press/wrist lock gets it back to normal... the ball rolled very nicely for me.
  • This Superstroke shape is more squared off or rectangular almost at the hand gripping area, but feels fine as far as the shape goes... the usual grip material is to me horrific (slippery and will rot in no time here in Thailand), but the outer plasticky layer is easily removed and will be replaced once I get some more Dippel leather bar tape.

Pic of my setup below - like this the putter sole is as normal - resting on ground - so putter loft should be 'normal' at impact, whereas a forwrd press that delofts the face would raise the back of the putter sole up (dramatically so for a wide back to front type putter like a mallet).

IMG_3350.jpg.8fec6f3ebe441827d5a65b1e10d728bd.jpg

Edited by coops
  • Like 1

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

• 2 months later...

I am going to try putting one of these on my LAB Golf DF 2.1. Reasons I will think it works:

• Recently, changed my putting posture, and my 33" DF 2.1 is about 2 or 3" too long. My index fingers on my right hand basically touch the shaft. My new posture is not even that hunched over, i am just short with unique proportions that give me a really low wrist to floor measurement. If I were to get a proper length putter for me with my new posture, it would probably be 30"
  • The DF 2.1 stock grip has forward press built in, so if you use a standard grip, you need to forward press it
  • I'm not making any modifications to the length of the putter, so if it doesn't work, not a big deal

Try it out forward in your stance like I do above... and when you like it rip off that plastic grip layer and replace with leather 😉

I've since shellacked the twine, so it's more black in line with the Dipell leather tape.

IMG_3377.jpg.137416f87c3d7ce3ccf14846e532684c.jpg

Edited by coops
  • Like 1

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

• 1 month later...

Hmm... I might give this try on my Edel. It's 36" and lately played 34.5"-35" so the extra inch should be ok for me. Will see how it feels and if it can transform my Edel into the putter I hoped it would be when I bought it. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, getitdaily said:

For those of you still gaming the wristlock...

If your putter can be weight adjusted, and needs to be...kick the head weight up to 370g or more and put a 50g countercore weight in the grip. Big time difference for this grip...

Agreed, the counterweight in the grip made a large difference with playability of the putter. Although, I putt standard, opting not to use the wristlock feature in set up for putting. But any of the counterbalance grips from super stroke would yield simular

results, I suspect. Overall, the wristlock really did not live up to my expectations,

Showed promise in advertising, but not for a golfer using a standard length and lie putter like myself.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

7 hours ago, puttingmatt said:

Agreed, the counterweight in the grip made a large difference with playability of the putter. Although, I putt standard, opting not to use the wristlock feature in set up for putting. But any of the counterbalance grips from super stroke would yield simular

results, I suspect. Overall, the wristlock really did not live up to my expectations,

Showed promise in advertising, but not for a golfer using a standard length and lie putter like myself.

I tried it in the putter with the wristlock grip and one with a ss pistol gt 1.0. I didn't car for it in the pistol gt and I suspect it was because the weight was basically in my hands. With the wristlock, the weight is a bit above the hands. And that's where it felt like it stabilized the upper part of the putter.

On 9/8/2020 at 6:01 AM, coops said:

First round with a Wristlock grip fitted to my Cameron Futura 2003... and the short review it works brilliantly.

Mind you, here's some info that may help you decide if it's for you too...

• I'd say you need +/- 3 inch extension if you want to maintain same posture - I have the wristlock bump resting about almost halfway up my forearm (which also seems to mean less forward press required), if you like it lower than you may need less extension to your putter length
  • I'm left handed but play golf right handed, and that also means i'm left eye dominant. As a result i'd already found that I putt far, far better and can see the line when I setup with the putter about at my left big toe - so way forward. This kind of naturally gets my left wrist and forearm more 'flat' so the wristlock forward press is very easily achieved for me... without it seems any need to worry about putter loft. For a more normal setup (ball further back) then i'd suspect more putter loft may be needed - but for me, the forward ball position would add loft but then the forward press/wrist lock gets it back to normal... the ball rolled very nicely for me.
  • This Superstroke shape is more squared off or rectangular almost at the hand gripping area, but feels fine as far as the shape goes... the usual grip material is to me horrific (slippery and will rot in no time here in Thailand), but the outer plasticky layer is easily removed and will be replaced once I get some more Dippel leather bar tape.

Pic of my setup below - like this the putter sole is as normal - resting on ground - so putter loft should be 'normal' at impact, whereas a forwrd press that delofts the face would raise the back of the putter sole up (dramatically so for a wide back to front type putter like a mallet).

IMG_3350.jpg.8fec6f3ebe441827d5a65b1e10d728bd.jpg

Sorry to be jumping in at this point, but I have a grip arriving today and I have some questions:

It is called a wrist-lock putter, yet in your picture that would be a forearm lock putter - the grip seems to be at least 3" above your wrist.  Since SSs website sucks in describing how this thing is supposed to work, we have no clue how it is intended to be used.  I thought the idea was that knob is to sit in the concave portion of the underside of your wrist?

One reason I would say that is with your setup, you either have to toe-down the putter or you have a steep lie angle,  to get the shaft in line with your forearm.

I am not seeing how the geometry works  - again SS could use a video showing everything from installation, shaft length requirements and options for where that grip end could be used and how to use it correctly.

Now I have to figure out what the plan of attack is before giving this a shot 🙂 

Thanks!

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

12 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

Sorry to be jumping in at this point, but I have a grip arriving today and I have some questions:

It is called a wrist-lock putter, yet in your picture that would be a forearm lock putter - the grip seems to be at least 3" above your wrist.  Since SSs website sucks in describing how this thing is supposed to work, we have no clue how it is intended to be used.  I thought the idea was that knob is to sit in the concave portion of the underside of your wrist?

One reason I would say that is with your setup, you either have to toe-down the putter or you have a steep lie angle,  to get the shaft in line with your forearm.

I am not seeing how the geometry works  - again SS could use a video showing everything from installation, shaft length requirements and options for where that grip end could be used and how to use it correctly.

Now I have to figure out what the plan of attack is before giving this a shot 🙂 

Thanks!

I was already using a Seemore FGP with an 'Armlock' grip before so that also helped me decide how I was going to use the Superstroke wristlock grip.

As i say above

"

• I'd say you need +/- 3 inch extension if you want to maintain same posture - I have the wristlock bump resting about almost halfway up my forearm (which also seems to mean less forward press required), if you like it lower than you may need less extension to your putter length"

Works for me with the ball setup forward in my stance where i need and like it - but a more normal ball centre of stance will have issues with the forward press of the wristlock... No worry for me with lie angle, it's the original standard lie angle and fits fine.

• 5 weeks later...

To me this seems like a bit of a compromise between armlock and standard putting. I tried an armlock putter briefly and couldn't get use to the feeling of it but liked the idea of it. I have played putters around 34-34.5 in the past and just picked up a 35.5 inch putter. This seems like the perfect opportunity for me to try this wrist lock grip with a slightly longer putter. I've seen it used different ways in videos and pictures. To me i would think you are locking this more into the wrist just below the palm of the hand which i have seen some but many i have seen have on youtube videos have it up against their forearm which seems wrong to me. For people who have tried this grip out how far down did you go on the grip in order to get it to sit comfortably on your wrist?

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 @11.25 Ventus TR Red 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15 @15.75 Ventus TR Red 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2+ 2 Rescue @18.5* LAGP AXS RED 85HX
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Taylormade Spider Tour V Stability Tour

Taylormade TP5X 2024

46 minutes ago, n_rones said:

To me this seems like a bit of a compromise between armlock and standard putting. I tried an armlock putter briefly and couldn't get use to the feeling of it but liked the idea of it. I have played putters around 34-34.5 in the past and just picked up a 35.5 inch putter. This seems like the perfect opportunity for me to try this wrist lock grip with a slightly longer putter. I've seen it used different ways in videos and pictures. To me i would think you are locking this more into the wrist just below the palm of the hand which i have seen some but many i have seen have on youtube videos have it up against their forearm which seems wrong to me. For people who have tried this grip out how far down did you go on the grip in order to get it to sit comfortably on your wrist?

Just below/above the wrist requires a good bit of forward press. If you grip down to where your left hand thumb meaty pad covers the upper S in Super then the bulge rests against the forearm rather comfortably and with less forward press. 

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone use "left hand low" with this grip?

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up one of these grips yesterday and have been experimenting with how I want to grip it before installing, so far I like it best with the bulge side facing to the right, away from the putter face.  This locks it into my right forearm using a conventional grip without any need for a large forward press.  I'll report back once I install the grip on my putter and am able to test it out with real putts.

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2020 at 9:10 AM, getitdaily said:

So the core in the grip goes all the way up? I was hoping from the bottom of the grip to where the core stops would effectively be the same as other ss grips and the "bulge" part is just a solid extension. If the shaft goes all the way up to the bulge part then people will have to extend putter shafts to put the grip on. This is one of the key questions I have.

Exactly 

On 3/26/2021 at 9:47 AM, TheDominator273 said:

Picked up one of these grips yesterday and have been experimenting with how I want to grip it before installing, so far I like it best with the bulge side facing to the right, away from the putter face.  This locks it into my right forearm using a conventional grip without any need for a large forward press.  I'll report back once I install the grip on my putter and am able to test it out with real putts.

This idea didn't work so I ended up pulling the grip, cutting down the putter a bit and using the bulge to lock into the base of my palm on my left (top) hand.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of confusion on how this grip should be installed led me to uninstall and reinstall. According to SS properly installed it should add no additional length to your putter. But then essentially forces you to grip down an inch to 1 1/2" to 2"down on the shaft to, um, err "anchor" the nub part to the lead wrist. Also, not sure why the grip is 13" long when it easily could have been the common 10", unless it was intentional in design to give the option to extend 3" and use as a fore-arm lock putter. Even for a claw grip, there is a lot of unused grip down there. In any case, SS has done a horrible job in providing the necessary info and almost feels rushed to the market like someone earlier mentioned. Literally, does look like they just took a normal pistol grip with adjusted graphics.

BUT. Bottom line: I putt great with it and can live with gripping down a little to utilize its intended design. My only gripe is the extra, unneeded length. I may pull the grip again to extend the putter shaft so I can grip at my normal posture, but so far not feeling the need to.

Finally, for those with Stroke Lab shafts you will need to remove the 50g butt weight before installing this. I thought I could save the extra dough on buying a SS counterweight, but the grip will not seat all the way down til this weight is removed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sharing some of my experience and notes for anyone looking for some data points:

Just installed my SuperStroke Wrist Lock grip today—there’s definitely no “added length” to the grip.

After tinkering a few times, I cut my 38” armlock putter down to 37” and installed the grip (ended up playing 37 3/8” installed).

the putter head is 395g and feels okay, might drop in another 10g of weight to see if it feels better. I had the grip play like an “arm lock” (instead of the SS recommended “wrist lock” which only extends about 3 inches into the wrist) so that there’s less forward press (I couldn’t get used to the amount of forward press in a standard Scotty Cameron stock dual balance armlock putter grip previously). With my right hand low, my index finger goes to the very bottom edge of the grip, and this setup is not too drastically different from my normal 33.5” putter that I usually game.

My armlock Scotty is set to 5.5 of loft degrees currently and I’m getting good roll at home—will follow up on how it rolls out on the course.

Hope this is helpful to anyone else looking to build one. It would play too short if I just dropped this grip into my 33.5” putter... and the “bulge” wouldn’t really secure against the wrist unless I choked down 3 inches to use the “wrist lock method” as intended. Maybe I have skinny wrists and someone with more muscles might find it different.

B4CAACA8-DAF2-4FA5-B25E-557F925D5788.jpeg.a0e7a102ed015f732ba27bc6f97562ec.jpeg

95876CE6-E86F-465D-A40B-416A0B09F7E2.jpeg.1d8174120f8df0ec05b20e69cdf1db64.jpeg

I keep seeing all this pictures and more and more people look like they are using it for forearm lock.

I expected to see this rest more in the wrists....

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

32 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

The design missed the mark for wrist lock. It sets up well for forearm lock.

It does seem to take a lot of tinkering but the concept of this grip is promising. Still messing with this. 

I fit a 34 inch putter. Am thinking of putting the wristlock on a 35 or 36 inch putter. Seems like that is where it raises the bump to hit the break in my wrist. When I do get that bump lined up with my wrist, it does feel stable. I don’t like the feel of armlock. Forearm lock is better but still not natural. Using it for wristlock is more comfortable to me. But I am left handed playing golf right handed. I putt better with my left arm doing everything and my right doing as little as possible. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

5 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

It does seem to take a lot of tinkering but the concept of this grip is promising. Still messing with this. 

I fit a 34 inch putter. Am thinking of putting the wristlock on a 35 or 36 inch putter. Seems like that is where it raises the bump to hit the break in my wrist. When I do get that bump lined up with my wrist, it does feel stable. I don’t like the feel of armlock. Forearm lock is better but still not natural. Using it for wristlock is more comfortable to me. But I am left handed playing golf right handed. I putt better with my left arm doing everything and my right doing as little as possible. 

I had one, dumped it, then went back to it last year and then dumped it again earlier this year. I like the concept but it just missed the mark. To get it secured on my wrist I have to forward press too much. If I don't get it locked on my wrist then I get more handsy with the stroke. Perry sure I was mentally trying to set the grip onto my wrist as I made the backswing. I am able to lock my wrist easier by just doing it on a regular grip. Just don't care for any grip portion well above my wrist.

24 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I had one, dumped it, then went back to it last year and then dumped it again earlier this year. I like the concept but it just missed the mark. To get it secured on my wrist I have to forward press too much. If I don't get it locked on my wrist then I get more handsy with the stroke. Perry sure I was mentally trying to set the grip onto my wrist as I made the backswing. I am able to lock my wrist easier by just doing it on a regular grip. Just don't care for any grip portion well above my wrist.

Agreed. The bump needs a little more bump to truly connect to the break in my wrist at standard loft. To get it there with the grip as is I would need to forward press and increase the putter’s loft. I’m trying to avoid that as I don’t like looking at it. 

I guess I could add wraps to make the bump bigger. But I recall reading that if the bump gets too large the grip becomes illegal, though I don’t know the exact limits. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

19 hours ago, PixlPutterman said:

I keep seeing all this pictures and more and more people look like they are using it for forearm lock.

I expected to see this rest more in the wrists....

I'm with you on this. I do putter restoration work and someone brought in a Futura X5 Circle T with one on it. First time i ever laid eyes on or even heard of this grip and it really intrigued me. Subsequently ordered one and going to give it a try. But I agree, it seems like people are using this more like the Mid-Lock than a wrist lock. At least the one I stroked with it on, it sat right in the crease of my wrist, which is the point..

On 1/10/2021 at 7:08 PM, getitdaily said:

For those of you still gaming the wristlock...

If your putter can be weight adjusted, and needs to be...kick the head weight up to 370g or more and put a 50g countercore weight in the grip. Big time difference for this grip...

I got mine installed on a Betti QB5 which i think it 362g. The weight feels a little off. Got a 50g countercore coming. You expect that will tie it all together nicely?

2 hours ago, Belltower said:

I got mine installed on a Betti QB5 which i think it 362g. The weight feels a little off. Got a 50g countercore coming. You expect that will tie it all together nicely?

It very well could. That tip section sits above the hands. I noticed a bit of wristiness in my stroke with wristlock (I know, right?) Because there was too much grip above my hands. The counter weight helped with that a lot. I just couldn't putt the heavy head. 

That post came when i was trying to get the pxg blackjack to work. Never could, sold it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this grip up today. I had a Stoke Lab 7S I wanted to mess around with and went with 74-75 degree lie angle and added a couple of degrees of loft. This thing seems to fit pretty perfectly for my pencil grip without having to mess with much. IT currently sits 75 degrees and 5 degrees.

The putter is also 1.5 inches longer than the putter I was using.

The missing piece for me was having the putter 4-5 degrees more upright. Once I did that with my pencil grip everything felt natural. I dont think this is simple as placing on your current putter but I do like the feel.