putting mat for home

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you wanna do this right and don’t mind dropping some coin, get a Tour Links Putting Platform. Most realistic putting green you can have at home beyond growing and maintaining actual grass. Bought 3

I got the PuttOUT mat and love it. Right out of the box it folds perfectly flat. Very well made and rolls true

U0Z8GCD7QIUZ.jpeg

Titleist TSi3 9.75°| Tensei AV Raw White 65S

Mizuno ST-Z 16°| Diamana D+ LTD 70S
Hybrid: TBD
Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW | Modus 105S
Callaway MD5 50°W 54°S 58°X | KBS $-Taper 120S

Putter: TBD
Titleist ProV1x

I got a Big Moss Competitor V2 earlier in the year and love it. I believe its the 3” by 9” model. Given hole placement, the longest putt you can actually take is about 7.5-8 feet. Lies flat, rolls true, and has three different hole sizes (regulation, small, and smaller). The only thing I’m jealous of with the putt out and other mats are the pre-marked lines and measurements. But I guess I can just add them myself.

TM SIM Max 10.5º | AD-DI 6x

TM M5 3w | AD-DI 7x

TM M3 19º Hybrid | AD-DI 8s

Callaway X Forged CB | KBS C-Taper S

Vokey Raw SM8 50.12 F-Grind

Vokey Raw SM8 54.10 S-Grind

Vokey Raw SM8 58.14 K-Grind

Byron Morgan Carbon DH89 350g | Scotty Mil-Spec 33”/350g

I recently received a WellPutt Start mat and a PuttOut Pressure Putt Trainer as a birthday gift. The WellPutt mat seems to always lay flat when I unroll it, and it rolls smooth/true. I would say the claimed stimp of 10 is reasonably accurate. I like the multiple length graphics for different distances, as well as the alignment aids and “good” zones.

The Pressure Putt Trainer is addictive and not easy. I like it better than my old Boomerang. And while a simple incline ramp mat with a ball return is fun (I particularly like the Perfect Practice Putting Mat), I think the Putt Out Pressure Putt Trainer is significantly more demanding for speed and line.

Wanted to get a PuttOut mat (already got the Pressure Putt Trainer), but they're all sold out here in Europe because of Corona... Ordered a Pure Talent mat yesterday, should arrive this week.

Titleist TS1 10,5°, Tensei AV Blue 55 S

Titleist TS2 18°, Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Titleist U-510 3i, HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist T200 4i-PW-W, AMT Tour White R300

Titleist Vokey SM8, 52.08F 56.10S 60.08M

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I've been really close to pulling the trigger on a PuttOut Matt. I've used some of their other products and think they're pretty good. What with the quarantine and bad weather this week I'm going off the walls and real close to pulling the trigger. I saw that MyGolfSpy is releasing data from a putting mat test soon, so I might wait until that's released. However the trend seems to be after they release their studies, products tend to go up in price due to demand. Should I just pull the trigger?

I have a Sklz Accelerator because it was inexpensive and it's just okay. If I were buying again I think I'd go with the WellPutt matt and the PuttOut Pressure Putt trainer, unless I had enough money to go with something larger like the Tour Links or the Dave Pelz GreenMaker system (really big/expensive).

Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-way / Cobra F9 HZRDUS Black 65 6.5 / Srixon Z F85 PX HZRDUS Black 75 6.5 / TM UDI 2i PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 100 6.5 / Srixon Z965 TT DG TI X100 / Cleveland RTX-4 50,54,60 TT DG TI S400 / TM Spider Tour Red

I saw this elsewhere as well and so far don't think so. I've had mine a few weeks and probably spent almost 20 hours putting on it.

A couple putting sessions I was putting well enough that I was starting to think it was because a groove had worn in. I've swept it back and forth with a broom figuring it'd perk up the little fibers of the mat if they had become flattened. I'm keeping an eye on a permanent groove happening though.

I also have started putting not from dead center, off-line, for "fun." Definitely harder. I think the lines on the mat start becoming a crutch.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the both the Puttout and the Varispeed. Spent a week on the Puttout (with the trainer) and only a few sessions with the Varispeed.

My thoughts on the Puttout: very solid, lays flat, rolls true, feels like a low pile carpet. Didn’t notice any channeling after several hundred putts. You can hear the ball rolling on it, a light dragging noise, so I guess a groove could form given the audible resistance from the fibers. Speed to me was on the slower side, medium is what most categorize it as. Fine for a lot of the public/municipal courses but if you regularly play courses with faster 10 or higher stimp greens you could find yourself blasting putts past the hole. Best paired with the Puttout Trainer.

Varispeed: didn’t lay out as flat as Puttout, the edges fold up a bit, surface felt more velour like, soft and cushy, ball rolls well, couldn’t hear the ball rolling on it like on the Puttout. Does leave a faint ball trail so you can trace your putt. When setting the ball in the imprinted circle there is no alignment line for your putter face, which the Puttout mat has. Also missing are the alignment lines for your putter path. Even though it is over 2 feet longer the markings on it only go to 6 feet. Didn’t try the included wedge system for simulating breaking putts but reviewers have stated that they are too steep.

For me, the Varispeed won out because of the ability to practice different speeds, longer length (7.87 feet for Puttout vs 10 ft for Varispeed) and fear of groove/channel forming on Puttout reported by others. So my setup is the Varispeed with Puttout trainer. The Puttout really adds to the challenge and gives you a hole to putt to and has the built in “perfect distance past the hole” feature.

The Puttout would win out if you have a tighter space. Either option paired with the Puttout Trainer will improve your putting or, at the very least, keep it at the level where it was before.

ProPutt systems turf is great! Have had an entire system with base panels that is 7'x14' for a few years. Allows break and balls falls into a cup. Just purchased a piece of bulk turf 15'x27' to add to my just finished golf room. They do sell bulk turf 15' width by any amount (10' minimum). Also can just get putting strips or smaller turf sizes that are pre-cut.

Rolls very true and has worn extremely well. 10 year warranty.

I've had a Big Moss for close to 20 years. It has held up very very well. I got it when I lived up north, but now live in a golf community down south, so I hadn't been using it much the last few years. With the pandemic causing the closure of our practice facilities, I started using the Big Moss again. It has been outside on our covered deck for years, and has held up remarkably well. I just vacuumed it off and was good to go. It is the large one with three holes, so I can hit putts up to about 12 feet.

I've had the 13 ft. Tour Links Platform since '07 and use it daily. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 15* 3WD.             Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Exotics CBX119 18* 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 21* 7WD                    Fujikura Ventus Red 9X
MIURA CB57 5-7                            MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA Tournament Blade 8-P      MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 Prototype 1.5 Beach 34/350 (A010656)