2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Will we see a new generation of walkers?

BKN1964

One of my favorite things about being in Scotland is never seeing buggies and seeing everyone (even older people) walking. I play in a Tuesday am group and we have 2 guys in their upper 70s that walk and still hit the ball very well. They would be insulted if you suggested a buggy to them.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

I work a couple days a week in the proshop at our local course. In order to stay open we discontinued carts. Probably 3/4 of the people who called to see if we were open, when I told them walking only, declined to play.

Overall out there, what I see is a large percentage of the older retired guys walk with pushcarts. The younger guys, 20-40, all seem to ride. FWIW, very old school parkland style course with the tees and greens in close proximity.

I wish more people walked, it is always strange when you are the only walker of the group and the rest are in carts. In my area, the majority of golf courses charge one amount whether you take a cart or not.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

I always walk unless I can’t. My club has no walkers on weekend mornings during daylight savings time. Kinda lame but they lifted the restriction with the virus. People can still ride one per cart though. It’s like watching a small herd, lol.

i don’t see things changing drastically. I think some people may try walking and enjoy it enough to keep doing so. Others just won’t play with out being able to ride.

Most courses around here still have carts with the stipulation one person per cart. Probably 50/50 walking and riding right now.

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

I live in NW Arkansas and of the 5 courses in our development, only one 18 is a true walkers course. It's damn hilly in this part of the Ozarks. However, although being 65 in July, on the days I don't play, I've been using an elliptical (bad knees from skiing in my teens)and do 40 minutes at a pretty high level for the past 35 years. So when COVID showed up, I made the transition back to walking with a cart. Others in my golfing weekend group - we have 10-16 - don't walk and have been 'single' riding. As we are relatively fast players (first groups out and we take less than 3 hours), walking and keeping up is a challenge for me, but doable. If I am short man off the tee, the other guys go to their ball and play they second shot, rather than wait for me - and I've encouraged that. We have some long walks between greens to the next tee box, so I try and get off the green as quick as possible and don't watch the other guys putt out, and I'm passed on the path more often than not. I try and tee off first, so I'm already starting to quietly walk behind the back of the the last guy on the tee. Stay safe guys!!

I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, and the few courses that are open are encouraging walking to limit contact with individuals. There are also some only allowing one person per cart, even if you are related. I have seen some people try and buck the system the farther they get away from the clubhouse and jump in the cart with their buddy instead of continuing to walk, and some neighborhood courses have had home owners call local PD to tell them what they are seeing.

I have seen more pushcarts out there than I have ever seen on the course, except for junior tournaments. It's nice to see a group of friends walk together. Fortunately, I have a few buddies that enjoy walking, so we will walk together on certain courses that allow it during normal times. Even if the course includes the cart fee, I'll usually walk, unless it's the middle of summer. The PGA Superstore in Southlake sold out of all of their pushcarts in one day before the local cities began closing businesses down.

I hope people continue to walk just for the exercise involved, even if they are paying the cart fee anyway, but I don't see that happening. Unfortunately, we've become too accustomed to convenience, and people will gravitate towards that again once life begins to head back towards what we consider "normal".

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Not to mention those that take carts also tend to partake more in the beverage cart and adult beverages than walkers do.

I'd love to see more people walking but it simply won't happen. Even in IL with the distancing rules and no carts I saw my local course driving a guy to the 10th tee instead of walking the 100 yards from the clubhouse. It's a mentality and mindset for most.

Walking relieves tension and back aches.

Walking gives you a chance to approach your shot, rather than zooming up to it.

Walking allows for conversation.

Walking provides a cadence in terms of pace, thoughts and swing tempo.

Walking is good for you.

Try it cart guys and you'll see, walking is good for your game.

• Like 3

I love walking, would rather always play that way. Problem is at my course there's always foursomes with four carts (privately owned) that play as fast as they can. So even though I play and walk very quick (been on my share of rucks) I'm letting a group play through every other hole since EVERYONE is in carts. I hope we do see more walkers in the future, for course preservation and overall wellness.

I'm kind of enjoying walking again. I forgot how much detail on a putt you notice while walking up to the green. I also forgot how much easier it is to find your ball by walking on a line towards it instead of estimating where to stop the cart to the side of where you think your ball is.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Ha! The amount of tricky to find balls I find for cart golfers, compared to them finding their own... I'm not sure the ratio, but I'm doing pretty well ;-)

Being able to go on the line makes such a big difference and if the cart doesn't have a GPS system, it's really easy to lose a sense of how far off the tee you are. The worst are the ones that don't get out of the cart once they're in the general vicinity... no no it's right there you just drove over it twice, lol

Good to hear you're enjoying it :-)

• Like 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

It’s been really sloppy where i play and it’s been “cart path only” the past couple of weeks.

As we walk the course i notice that guys who hit it sideways walk as much as we do. Only they’re walking 40 yds left or right to their ball and then back to the cart. That has to be frustrating. I even found two cell phones that fell out of carts. SMH

That's what the trail fee is for just about all the local courses. I don't have my own cart and guys that I knew that had their own sold them because it was not conducive monetarily to keep them. To me it's just a way for the course to make sure you ride so more money comes in. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future to make up lost revenue some start charging you a fee for using your own clubs. Just sayin....

That's one reason I don't like riding. If you have to stay on the cart path, you walk 30 yards to the ball with your club in hand, size up your shot and realize you should club up (or down), so back to the cart you go to swap clubs, then back to the fairway again . . .

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

my gym is closed so Ive been walking for exercise. Its great on a day like today 70 degrees, but summers over 100 no way, cant avoid sun. Plus I like bringing some IPA's and listening to music. If Im playing late afternoon we play in 3 or less hours riding. For me there definitely is a time and place for walking but not on regular basis. But if I didn't swim or workout I would walk more.