2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

TaylorMade Golf - ASK US ANYTHING

TaylorMade Golf

@rickylau The loft is the only difference that we list in the specs for the SIM Ti fairway woods. They are the same volume and lie angle, but I agree, there is something about the 15.0 that makes it exponentially easier for me to launch in the air. I want to believe that its more than the 1* loft difference, but to my knowledge, that is the only difference.
Chris C. - Team TaylorMade

@tphilp The grind of the Bigfoot is functionally different from the ATV grind. Funny enough, they both offer similar bounce on the flange (rear of the sole) around 15 degrees. What sets the ATV grind apart is the sharper leading edge, which allows the golfer to get closer to the golf ball with the leading edge through impact. Post impact, once the club starts digging into the ground, the ATV sole is designed to delay the bounce from activating with the turf, which is preferred by some players. ATV grind gives the best of both worlds in low and high bounce performance. If you wish you had more bounce on the leading edge, the Hi-Toe Big Foot wedge is a perfect addition to the bag.
Chris C. - Team TaylorMade

Asking team TM a question when you have one of their staffers mugshots as your avatar? Priceless!

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Good morning TaylorMade. I read a previous post about the Hzrdus Black playing like a x flex. How does the Hzrdus Green 70 6.0 stock shaft play? Does it also play like an X flex and is it softer or stiffer than the Hzrdus Black? Thanks.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 50.08F & 56M DG S200

Callaway Jaws Raw Face Chrome 60Z DG Spinner 115 Steel

39" Odyssey Jailbird LE 380 Microhinge Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

@Redjeep83 Thank you for the added experience, however in regards to the modus 130, this shaft is not a low launching shaft. It's designed with a soft tip section and stiffer mid and butt section which will give it very different characteristics than the stiff tip/mid section and soft butt section shafts. Nippon designed this for the golfer with a quick transition, steep attack angle and needs help getting the ball up but still wants tight dispersion. Specific examples on tour are Matt Wolfe and Sergio Garcia who are both guys with attack angles with their irons that sometimes approach -10 and need a little help with initial launch. @anthony007 if you fall in the same category of those two, I would definitely give that shaft a try. If you are looking for something similar to PX then give the other low launch/spin shafts a try at your next fitting.
Freddy V. - Team Taylormade

I haven't tested drivers in a few years because I got ideal numbers with mine and knew it was a high MOI head for how low spin it is so I assumed nothing would be better (it's a King LTD).

However. I randomly went to a golf store because it was raining and I wanted to hit some balls. I tried the SIM driver. It was SIGNIFICANTLY better on mishits than my own driver. They all were a lot longer and straighter than I would have expected. They weren't spinning up as much when I hit them low heel

Is this unique to something about SIM? Or would M3/M5 be similar due to Twist Face?

Thanks

Is there any reason the KBS Tour V is not offered as a shaft option with the P790s? That has been my go to shaft in the last couple sets of clubs that I have used and I don't really want to buy P790s only to have to pull the shafts and have the Tour Vs installed. What is most comparable of the options that are available?

Reaching back in the history books. This may not be anyone's forte, but I don't know anyone else to ask about it. There has never really seemed to be anyone that was all that smart on these heads, so I figured why not try.

I happened, by coincidence, to buy a R9 Superti Version 2 (they were 440CCs vs std 460CCs I believe) that was an 8.5* head. I have seen a descent amount in the 9.5* & 10.5* lofts (owned/sold a few and own one of each currently). I had another one which I think was a version 3 of some sort as it was bigger than the 440 version, but smaller than a 460 (The USGA conforming list only has 2 versions, so that one is another mystery in itself). Anyways, the 8.5* head doesn't even have a serial number on it, so I can only assume it was a very low production proto head. Anyone employed/remember that far back and possibly how many were made? Were they possibly designed for anyone in particular? Just wondering if anyone here has a backstory on them. We have a ton of smart equipment geeks on here, and may smart on the 8 different versions (may be an exaggeration...or not :-) ) of the R11/R1 heads, etc...but no one seems to know too much about these.

Just curious.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

@dallas twice a year we look at what shafts have done well and which haven't done well. At these times we either add or pull shafts from our line up based on how they are performing in our product. Unfortunately the tour V was not a shaft we sold much of, so it was pulled. That doesn't mean we wont add it in later if we see a demand for it.

Freddy V. - Team Taylormade

good info, to be honest I have alot of testing experience with all those other shafts except for modus shafts, I just never really tested them that much so I based my comment in regard to the modus 130 shaft to the titleist iron shaft comparison chart for 2020 which lines up with my experience in regard to the other shafts I have tested extensively. They use robotic testing of shafts to come up with where they place on the chart and modus 130 was classified in the low launch, low-mid spin. I do see that modus company places it in the high launch category though,

In putter testing what type of results are you seeing from the Truss putters compared to other blades/mallets? Have rolled the TM1 a couple times and it has felt really good...

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x

For the TP5x Pix will you be releasing a different pattern like the Arnold Palmer one or a 4th of July one?

Is there a replacement for the GAPR coming out soon?

Keep up the good work!!!

• Like 1

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Quick question, all thing equal could his lie angle be too flat, hence the heel shots? I tend to have same issue and the more "flat" I bend them it seems to get worse?

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

@TK3309 so far in testing we have seen and with personal testimony, Truss has been incredibly stable on off-center hits compared to traditional blades. I recently fit a player out of a Ghost mallet and into the Truss because he could not miss inside 8 feet with it! The stability and minimized face rotation limits the misses substantially keeping the dispersion tighter. Gives that player who likes a traditional blade the same benefits of a high MOI putter.
Matt Z - Team TaylorMade

@Wardonation it is possible, due to toe interaction at impact. Heel will tend to keep traveling through impact and could result in heel shots. At the end of the day, if the ball flight is going straight we tend to not worry as much about lie angle. We can compensate somewhere else to get center contact whether it be adjusting length, shaft firmness or softness, or weight to accomplish better feel.
Matt Z - Team TaylorMade

Out of curiosity, how do things make it back on the list once they have been dropped? How is the demand for it really assessed? Does that come from the shaft OEMs requesting it as an offering from what they are seeing from a demand standpoint on their end? If we can't request it as a purchaser any longer, how does that get influenced?

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

@9ironiscash we receive updated reporting on backordered components on a daily basis and unfortunately no end in sight due to the virus situation. I know the shaft companies and manufacturers are working hard to get product but at this point it is hard to say when with all the uncertainty. This is definitely a strange time to say the least.
Matt Z - Team TaylorMade

I want to note here that I am playing the P760 pw. I received a MG2 48* head to test from Carlsbad. I shafted it with the same shaft and bent it to the same loft. I will say add to this discussion that the P760 is the slightly longer and more consistent club from all lies that the bent MG2. Thus the P760 is in the bag. So the suggestion here is an excellent one!

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

@Golfrnut a little bit of both actually. Relying a little bit on field reps and ourselves as to what consumers are asking for and we share that input with our team for consideration. Also, listening to OEMs and what the market trends are and sort of weighing those two along with some testing of our particular product and how it matches up with certain shafts. It is a never ending process to revamp the offerings but we always have to look at it from all angles for what makes the most sense. It’s a lot like certain clothing styles and trends that come and go!
Matt Z - Team TaylorMade