Tampa Public Golf

AThompson_3

Recently moved to Tampa from Orlando. The biggest thing I’ve noticed is the lack of good quality public courses in the $30-50 range. The quality of courses I have played so far have just been horrendous. I still work in Orlando so I still get to play plenty up there, but on my off days it would be nice to not make that hour drive just to find decent golf. Any suggestions? So far I’ve played Rogers Park, Temple Terrace, Northdale, and Apollo Beach and all have been horrible. Just doesn’t seem to be anything quality in that $30-$50 price range. I’m not looking for immaculate conditions, but just want something playable and so far none of these are. Just complete goat tracks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Northdale is in pretty good shape at the moment, compared to other courses around here. Fairways are in decent shape (I can compress the ball) and most greens are lush and roll a bit slow. Heritage Harbor was also in good shape. Many courses around here have dry fairways and greens coming out of winter (things will change once the daily rain starts in a month)

If you consider Northdale "horrible" (or a "goat track") then your standards are high, because of what you had available to you in Orlando, where clearly you are getting more for your money.

But it sounds like you are looking for conditions that you can find at courses like Saddlebrook, Lake Jovita, etc. And those are $75+ courses around here, at least at the moment (winter prices). In about a month, all prices will come down a bit. I'll be able to play Saddlebrook for < $50

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

I’d agree. Of the ones I’ve played Northdale was definitely the one I’d go back to, but still the quality is no where near what you’d get in Orlando or even back home in Kentucky where I grew up. Oh well just have to keep searching for some hidden gems. I may try to hit up Saddlebrook here soon. Thanks for the suggestions.

not many inside of tampa; have to go north (lake Jovita, world woods) or south(think bradenton/Sarasota)

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I also agree with jerebear21. Lake Jovita and World Woods are worth the drive. You're at a higher price point, but the quality of the courses may be closer to what you are looking for.

Cheval may also be worth checking out. I think it is better than Northdale, but not as good as Saddlebrook.

I can relate to your comment about "back home in Kentucky". I grew up in NJ, and other than the muni tracks, most public courses up there are better than most public courses in Tampa, at least until you get to the Saddlebrook/Lake Jovita level. Personally I think it is because they are starting with better dirt. The water table is so close that the dirt here is more like sandy clay, and that affects the quality of grass. I'll bet many of the courses you played in Orlando leveled the entire fairway area and brought in proper dirt to build up before they laid the fairway. Most of the tracks around here were built in conjunction with a housing development, so that same process wasn't used.

• 2 weeks later...

Got out to play the Palmer course Saddlebrook and I was very impressed. Only paid like $40. Obviously it’s super short, but damn it’s such a great test of golf. Most Florida courses I feel like you can just grab driver on every hole. Hit it, find it, and just get it in the hole. Not the case here. Have to think on every shot.

Saddlebrook does a good job. Both of the 18s are well laid out. You are right about the Palmer, you have to plan your way through that course. Personally I like that.

Saddlebrook also has one of the best "public" practice facilities around. Emphasis on the quotes, b/c you can only use the facilities if (1) you are playing a round that day, or (2) you live there. But other than driving up to World Woods, its probably the best in the area outside of the private clubs.

• 2 weeks later...

Tampa's golf situation was bad enough that it was one of the leading factors I left and moved to Orlando. I lived on Rocky Point off the Courtney Campbell, and felt like I needed to drive 45 minutes to get to anything decent. I can take poor conditions, as one of the courses I play regularly in Orlando is typically in poor condition. However I can't take an old, depressed routing along with poor course conditions.

When I lived in Tampa from 2011-2013, and because I had to drive 45 minutes minimum to get to anything decent anyway, my favorite courses to play were as follows and in order:

1) World Woods Pine Barrens

2) World Woods Rolling Oaks

3) Dunedin Golf Club

4) Lansbrook Golf Club

5) Bloomingdale

Then when Streamsong first opened in 2013, I would go there three or four Saturday's a month because they charged $75 for FL residents. Sometimes I'd play 36 in a day.

• 3 weeks later...

Look into the Paradise Golf Card for the summer months. You are going to be able to play a step up in course quality for the under $50 range. Before I joined a private club it was nice. The ones I usually played just because of where I lived was Westchase (around $25 with the card), The Eagles ($22ish) and TPC Tampa Bay ($39).

I moved almost two years ago out of South Tampa and I did the Paradise Golf Card but I mostly went to Cypress Creek down in Sun City. I couldn't spend the time to drive out to World Woods or Streamsong so had to stay local. Like others said, winter rates can get ridiculous but if you keep your eye out you can keep it reasonable. I had the same issue with struggling with the conditions of public courses in the area for a while.

Courses I played regular or particularly liked:

Cypress Creek - My favorite, interesting layout and good conditions, was never crowded but could get expensive in the winter season, bad clubhouse and food if that matters to you but carts were new with GPS as well.

Bloomingdale - Interesting layout but conditions were inconsistent. Sometimes got very busy.

Heritage Isles - Somewhat weird layout but not bad. Conditions were ok but it is was usually cheapest of the courses I liked. Occasionally busy but usually not bad.

Some other mentions:

The Eagles - Two courses which I liked with decent conditions but was just a bit too far to go often for me

TPC Tampa - Usually only played with Paradise rate in shoulder seasons as its silly expensive in season. Best conditions of these courses. Layout is hit and miss. I do think 15 is one of my favorite holes though

Saddlebrook - Nice courses and great conditions but the practice area is far from the first tees and you had to valet the car which always bothered me. Can get some good rates though.

Lake Jovita - Would be my favorite (South then North) but was too far to go very often. Now that we've moved out of state the family we visit back there are much closer so will be going back here more often. More expensive in general