Cant figure out my trailing arm.

Hondabuff

Since I have been stuck in the house I have alot of time to work on my swing. I can not figure out for the life of me on what to do with my trail arm. I need some drills on how to keep it connected to my body and to force my elbow to stay in front of my body on the downswing. I can do it while swinging in a mirror and retain my lag but cant do it at full speed. My smash factor is low due to the quality of my strike cause is from my casting the club. Quite the paradox cause I know Im casting but cant figure out the move to stop it. Also, Is the ball to far back in my stance for a 7 iron? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpyQT0rSZxM

2LP1F6U6YI1I.png

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pivot is big issue. Left knee should work out toward toes and left hip work down. They are working way too much around.

leads to spine leaning toward target at top of backswing and arms swing way too long. Arms have no chance to synch up with pivot in downswing and since they are trailing so far you cast.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-DNdi9lbXs/Still going to have to work to synch arm structure with turn

best bet is to take an online lesson with someone like monte

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Watch this video from my boys at AMG.

You move the left hip way too much in the backswing and the right hip way too early and in the wrong direction in the downswing.

Put something between your knees and keep width between them until almost impact.

Plus, arms start way too late. Hips are before arms, yes, but your gap is too big.

A drill

videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-8bk1zvTX8&app=desktop

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Awesome as always Monte. I was just digging through the garage for one of the kids bouncy balls. I saw the one drill with a big ball wedged between the knees. Was watching some other videos on how to fold the right arm and drive the elbow during the downswing. Feels crazy wrong to do since I rely on the cast and sorta flip. I figured I should be able to get another +15 yards if I can get in the proper positions.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Hit some balls yesterday and had a lot of balls shooting out to the right indicating an open face. Watched some more videos saying I need to roll the shaft by supinating the wrist. being that I have always cupped the wrist I find this very challenging to execute. Is it easier to preset this position like DJ or Jordan Spieth or just try to ingrain that move into the down swing like Ben Hogan teaches? I was watching some slow motion videos of Adam Scott and his first move in the back swing is almost a preset wrist movement.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Monte's Instagram above is excellent.

I now try to have as few swing thoughts as possible except where would like ball to go (not that it always does) but when things don't seem to be right sometimes think a simple drop and turn at least in practice swing.

Seems I am on a mission so I recommend to anyone Michael Mcteigue book - keys to the effortless golf swing - and videos (latter free on YouTube) to re-engrain the basis of a sound balanced swing.

Or (/&) take a lesson with Monte - or at least watch his videos & then take a lesson with him.

(disclaimer : I haven't but really should!)

I have been working non stop in the mirror outside with an Izzo arm strap that keeps my arms close to the body and allows me to drive my right elbow. After about 50 swings I started to notice a road block in my swing. No matter how much I tried to bow my wrist at the top of the swing it just wouldn't budge and forcing it kinda hurt. It became obvious my right hand grip was preventing my left wrist from bowing and was working against my left hand and the right hand dominance was taking over from muscle memory. I rotated my right hand up and towards the head of the club until it allowed my left wrist to bow naturally. I was doing dry swings and the position at the top looked really good and I was shocked that my club head speed with my 6 iron jumped from my normal 88-90 to over 96mph without much effort on my old Bel Swingmate. Anyone remember those? I hit about 4 or 5 balls into the woods and was smoking the ball and had a 97 and 98 mph swing. Very encouraging results and I will have to wait for the rain to letup to get back out with the Mevo and get some video. I want to see if the Bel was reading close to the Mevo in regards to club head speed. I have not tried swinging without the Izzo arm bands off and I know its going to be a battle to ingrain some new muscle memory. I had some videos of 2 years back when building your own Super Speed sticks was the craze and I was in the high 120's. I might have to bust those out and give a few rips and get some baseline numbers now.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

The bottom image you're referring to is from a slow motion swing and is an effect or reaction not an action. A high performance golf swing is a synergistic cause and effect athletic motion from start to finish, not a series of contrived positions. The overall motion is trained with smaller motions until the swing becomes a reflex pattern. Once he kick starts his swing he's on autopilot.

4LXHQ8L53AK6.gif

Like I said the original still picture you posted is not a good thing for people to try. Left shoulder too high, right shoulder dropped, left arm to far away from body. Hello hooks, pushes, shanks, fats, thins and sore back. What you do with the left arm and elbow is just as important as what you do with the right. If you get your right elbow in front and keep the left shoulder down and body more closed you left arm and elbow has to work closer to the body.(it doesn’t get pinned you have a nice gap)

its a pet hate of mine that most videos on you tube that show lead with the right elbow have the left shoulder high and left arm out towards the target line. Why do they do this? Because the body will always try and help any movement and it’s easier to get your right elbow in front if drop the right shoulder. So when doing a full speed swing with this thought of driving the elbow what’s going to happen?

At set up and impact both elbows should be in front of your torso so from the top it’s best to try and get both elbows in front whilst the torso is turned. If you go to the top of your backswing and try and keep your back to the target and bring both elbows in front of your chest you will notice

your hips start to open

your left shoulder stays low longer

your weight moves forward and down

your left wrist stays flat

your right wrist hinges

you regain flex in your body

you cannot early extend

these things happen without thinking about them but it’s really difficult to do it at speed. I find keeping the back to the target(it’s only slowing it down it still opens same as the right hip) hard but I’m slowly getting there.It creates that separation that Russell Heritage is forever going on about but the arm movement alone causes it. He teaches opening the hips and leading with the right elbow. When he shows it often you see his right shoulder drop and left arm move to far outward. Don’t think that’s the best way to show it. It messes people up.

monte has a video where he shows what both arms do in a golf swing by concentrating on the right arm the right shoulder will drop and the left arm will naturally work in the wrong direction. You need to do his left arm movement as well. Opposing forces. From the top left shoulder down whilst both elbows work in front and then everything just unwinds.

From the top left shoulder and both elbows all working in unison in the same direction down out and forward.

Again take lessons. You are very unlikely to resolve things on your own let alone by trying "tips".

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Probably out of the question for the next few months given the current Covid situation. Going to stick with the Flightscope Mevo and record videos and tinker to keep my sanity. I have been on GolfWRX for a long long time and there is a wealth of knowledgeable people on here. Its on of those things that once you record your swing it seems to be easier for other people to spot swing flaws that Im unaware of.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Beautiful day to be out hitting balls. Working some L to L drills and trying to drive the elbow. It feels like Im really driving it but the video tells a different story. Compression of the ball feels outstanding and I wouldnt have any issues gaming this swing this year. I took some speed out of my swing and feel like Im around 65% effort with my swing. Its going to be a give in take but I have a bucket of 300 NXT Tour practice balls to blast away with.

https://youtu.be/CDPaN8VMLnA

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Online. Btw still same issues in latest video. You need to learn a good pivot. Online lesson will point out exactly the key issue and drills to improve. And you can easily follow up to insure you are doing th the drills properly.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Proper pivot is definitely something I need to figure out. Right now it feels like a slide. I was trying to find an exercise ball like Monte suggested to keep between my knees but I cant find the darn thing anywhere. I have a bucket list of things to work on and a bunch of training aids to tinker with.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

LGWB5ZCYO44I.png

5FNDR58HR96Z.png

Its easier to lead with the elbow if it’s more in front to start with, you will lose angles by having to throw the arms back in front. Look at how far Adams hands are from his trail foot. The result in the downswing by left arm parallel

OOB3NXENN6L9.png

Q2DJ2EA3WX06.png

pros are annoyingly good he probably isn’t trying to hold anything. Good backswing pressure shift pivot and wrist angles etc.... if you work it out let me know

Im going to spend the next few days presetting the wrists in the back swing and do a ton of L to L drills. I play a ton of baseball and do alot of instruction with my sons Travel Baseball team. The driving back elbow is the biggest kiss of death for baseball players and something I work with my son on non stop. Im actually really fighting the muscle memory. My son loves to drive his back elbow and I always tell him he will be a great golfer one day but he absolutely hates golf. A seasoned baseball player will probably recognize who this swing is modeled after.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

If you are going to improve your pivot then you need to focus on it and remove your arms - fold them across your chest. And you need to understand how the hips/knees work.

Right now you rotate your left side around too much which results in the left knee/hip collapsing too much toward your right knee - sets up and unstable situation causing your upper body to lean toward the target to counterbalance.

The left knee should works out toward your toes and will be slightly pulled toward the right - the main focus is the left side is the pivot point for the right side - primary focus is working the left hip down not around - the around will happen - again done by having the left knee work out toward the toes.

The right knee slightly straightens as the right hip works up and around toward the target - one wants to "feel" like they are getting their right butt cheek to point to the target.

Do this well (in combo with good upper body movements) and it setups up the pressure shift to the left side before the end of the backswing.

You are definitely the am on the left in this video.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified