Tiger vs. Phil, COVID-19 edition?

This is interesting. Other than giving people some sports to watch, which would be great, I think this would also be great as a way of showcasing how golf can be played during periods of social distancing. I bet there would be some blow back in that regard though actually. Phil Mickelson 'working on' potential match with Tiger Woods

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’d be surprised if TW does it. He prolly bunkered in some hermetically sealed room in his house eatin popsicles and on watch for Greg Norman.   I hear Patrick Reed is available though; )    

The timing an optics of this would be horrible. Surely there are some smart people in their orbit that will tell them this would be massive PR own goal. Regardless, the first match was a terrible spec

Phil talking about this on the day ANGC pledges $2M to fight the virus. Also Phil still hasn't supported the PGA Tour and distanced himself for PGL. Despite playing it coy he definitely knows where t

Bring it on!

No dumb charity challenges, put up their own cash, make it a wide open 6800 yard birdie fest, mic them up and schedule it for April 12 at 3:00pm and behold the spectacle.

Titleist 915 D3 Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Titleist 910 F Rombax W
Titleist 913hd Matrix Altus
Titleist 714 CB/MB 4-Pw PjX 6.5
Tour issue 52, 56 60 Vokey 200 SM4
Odyssey Versa no. 7

The timing an optics of this would be horrible. Surely there are some smart people in their orbit that will tell them this would be massive PR own goal.

Regardless, the first match was a terrible spectacle, a complete waste of time.

Not surprised that its the two highest profile players who haven't backed the PGA Tour vs PGL.

• Like 1
[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

The simulators work from a logistical point of view but as a spectacle I don't think it would be worthwhile at all. They're fun to use but to watch, even if the players are as great as these two, its not the same even more so if you are watching remotely.

Also the optics of a winners takes all $9M re-match right now would be super crass given the economic meltdown, too soon. I'm sure the vast majority of golf(sports) fans understand the economics of elite sports and are mostly OK with it but right now it be an awful look. The first "Match" got a lot of heat from some quarters, imagine if they did it in the current climate. I believe Woods and Mickelson would personally take a lot of criticism, surely their people can see that coming their direction.

Of course if they did do it as a charity event then that would definitely change things.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Phil talking about this on the day ANGC pledges $2M to fight the virus.

Also Phil still hasn't supported the PGA Tour and distanced himself for PGL. Despite playing it coy he definitely knows where the money is coming from but still crickets.

• Like 1
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Awful, awful idea.

Here is a rich beyond his wildest dreams golfer with a broken body competing against another guy who rich beyond his wildest dreams and past it when it comes to top level golf playing against one another for yet more cash whilst the rest of the world is in or about to be on total lockdown and struggling to buy toilet roll, never mind keep a pay cheque coming in and a roof over their heads.

It’s not something that I would be prone to say ever but **** Tiger and **** Phil if either of them think this is a good idea. There is far more important things happening in the world

We are relatively lucky in the UK, things are not as bad here as they are in Italy or Spain but we won’t be far behind them. Exhibition Centres are being turned into temporary hospitals. Ice Rinks are being turned into temporary morgues. I would love to watch proper golf again. Some form of release from the 24 hour news cycle of doom and misery would be fantastic but this, this is a worse idea than Tiger chasing all that tail and Phil hitting the moving ball at the US Open in 2018.

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

I didn't for a second think they would do this for money. For themselves anyway. Maybe for $1, or maybe a beer. Or perhaps to decide whose Covid-19 charity of choice gets the donations that would come in from viewers via some text number or whatever. This would be a "friendly" and also lo-fi in terms of coverage that would be possible.

And actually I think the above has a chance to be a real PR winner. Yeah sure they're both past their primes I guess, but they're still the biggest names in golf and would draw in casual golf fans and even just general sports fans at this point. People are sports-starved. And moreover distraction-starved. Donations generated would go to charity. And golf gets a showcase as one of the only sports still playable right now and a chance to show the non-golf community this is true.

How many people watch those terrible v-logs by 2 handicap YouTube pros? Hundreds of thousands, and it’s one camera.

I’m more than happy to watch Tiger and Phil do the same thing, while showing the world how to properly socially distance. I honestly think they could frame this thing like a USO Tour, giving some entertainment to people around the world so we can all forget about the world for a few hours.

Edit: also, it’s 2020-Tiger and Phil will get hammered by the media no matter what they do. They need to just decide what they think would help the world best and go for it.

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reforming club addict.

I would do it if they didnt play for any money.

TaylorMade R1 Devotion 06/ SLDR Preferred 430 10* 661 Stiff Flex
TaylorMade Aeroburner Graphite Design BB6S

TaylorMade SLDR 20* Motore 8.3 Tour Spec X

Bridgestone J15 Mb 4-PW Recoil 110 F4

Taylormade HiToe 52/60 C taper 120

Cleveland Hunington Beach #11 Raw
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

It's time to setup a virtual golf tour. They have those in Korea. Make it work! If they don't figure out the COVID cure this might be a reality.

Callaway Epic SZ Driver 9
TM Aeroburner TP 3 wood
3H (19), 4H (22) Aeroburner TP
Mizuno MP-15 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
Scotty Phantom X6 STR

I would be completely on board with that. The timing of it just now would be horrific however, something to look forward to when this craziness has all began to calm down, then awesome I am in 100%.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

OMG...!!

YES YES YES...!!!

Please STOP this RIDICULOUS MASOCHISTIC MARTYRDOM so many feel OBLIGATED to have signed up for...

As the President said...

This whole mess is going to DRIVE SOME PEOPLE CRAZY... To become depressed, take drugs and do CRAZY THINGS...

Being outside on a golf course is BEAUTIFUL and SAFE..!!

GOOD LORD..!!

LETS START THIS THING...!!