PXG 0311 P Gen 3 Long Term Reviews !

twoodssuperfan

Hello Now that these have been out for a bit I'm looking for some reviews.

I've had my eye on PXG irons forever and maybe I'm financially able to buy them.

I'm looking for some 0311 P reviews. I've played MP irons forever but looking form something bigger. I hit the Gen 3 T irons and they were amazing but the long irons gave me fits.

Do the P feel as good as the T? Do they have just as good turf interaction?

Any long term reviews?? Should the lower spin be any concern to me?

THanks!

I've had every generation of the PXG's and loved each of them. Each time the next generation came out I got them and the best by far is the Gen 3 P. You will not hit another iron with a better feel and very forgiving as well. I have the 2, 3 and 4 irons as well but replaced them with the Hybrids. Simply because the Hybrids are point and shoot no matter what the lie and they equally have a great feel.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Played the original PXG's (similar to the P). Just purchased the Gen 3 P's yesterday. The original and the Gen 3's are rather similar. Incredible feel and reasonably forgiving - more forgiving IMO than something like a Callaway Apex or Titleist T100 / T200. I am an equipment junky and would switch as soon as something else caught my eye. In hindsight, the PXG irons are actually the cheapest irons i have owned in the last 15 years. Instead of buying a new set every 6 months to a year, i have used the same ones for 4 1/2 years. (and it's not for a lack of trying other clubs).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi gents!

I purchased the gen3's in early June and LOVE them. I was very curious due to this site and living 10 mins from HQ (so I would see them all the time on the courses). Anyway, I have had six rounds with them and numerous range sessions. They make range balls feel great...which is wild. My current setup is a blended set of 4 & 5 (XP), 6 & 7 (P) and 8, 9 and PW (T) models. Originally, I had the P's in the 4,5 and 8 but switched them (at no cost because it was within 30 days) to my current configuration. The reason is I like a thinner top line for my short irons and more forgiveness in my longer irons. It works for me. The feel of these clubs are simply fantastic! I came from the TM P790's and they are similar but not in the in feel or sound department. Now, the 790's are not bad but did not fit my eye due to the thick top line and extra yards they give you. I do not need distance so I wanted the best feeling irons that work for me. My iron game has improved because I no longer wondering or view the irons itself as a distraction (I know that sounds weird). Overall, I love these irons and worth every penny to me.

Note: I carry my 7-iron 180 yds.

Thanks, Jeff

I've been playing the Gen 3 Ts since April and love them. I'm used to a more compact head after playing Miura 1008s and BBs for the last few years (not that my game warrants them, but the heart wants what the heart wants).

I wouldn't describe them as forgiving versus a shovel, however versus a 1 piece forged (which is all I've every played), they are extremely forgiving, and LONG with the same lofts. I'd agree with the comment that they appear to be pretty relatively spin on my Skytrak (PX 6.0) however I've never had any issue stopping the ball on course.

The one thing I'm not entirely sure about is fliers. I believe it's mostly my constant swing tinkering, but I've not yet locked in my stock distances with the set. My 7i goes 173 on a pretty good strike, however I occasionally remember to keep turning through impact AND release the club, and on those occasions, I've seen up to 189. Again, I think much of this is swing related, however there's a non-zero chance that (much like most hollow bodied clubs I've hit) these have potential to have a tiny hotspot.

Overall, they're some of the best irons on the market, however they KINDA suck from a tinkering perspective due to construction (.370 hosel with super lame cup, weight, hosel stuff going on internally).

If you're comfortable rebuilding with shims, controlling heat, OR don't intend to tinker (though who doesn't want BB&F ferrules with matching MCC Teams grips!?!?!?), then you're just fine.

Oh - and turf interaction has been perfect for me.

Buy em - money has zero value if you don't spend it.

• Like 1

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

This is the best line I've heard in a while, have to remember that."Money has zero value if you don't spend it."

• Like 2

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

How does everyone feel about the 4i in the P line? I have the T in 5-PW (LOVE THEM!) but I'm not a high ball hitter so the 4i I start to lose some height and landing power. I'm trying out the hybrid but, well, hybrids... So how does the 4i in the P play/compare? It seems like it has quite a bit of offset and longish blade length. Does anyone have any pics comparing the P to the T 4i?

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

• 1 month later...

So I’ve had gen 1 and 2, not 3.  I’d  echo what everyone here is saying, they are EXCELLENT irons, period. 

BUT ... for me, the 0311p blade length is too long (and the original 0311).  I tried so hard to ignore it and play through it, but I just couldn’t.  And I NEVER really care about that kind of cosmetic when a club is working well, but something about them never made me feel comfortable.  I ended up very comfortable with the 0311T.   There’s no doubt, the feel is great, the ball speeds and spin are great. 

Edited by clinkinfo

I hit the Gen 3 T and P today and fell in love with the P. The T looks great but I lost distance and was g as easy to hit for me.  The P felt loads more forgiving.  

I also saw the XP and was shocked at how much better looking they are now over the original XF.  I have the Gen 1 0311 irons now and my 4i is the XF and it's big and ugly.  The XP looked way better.  Not good enough for me to prefer over the P tho.  

man, these irons felt so good. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I have been gaming the Gen 3 XP since May or so when the first price cut was offered.  I am not getting any younger so I went with the XP instead of the P.  Really glad i did.   They are long (lofts are jacked I know) but they stop when they hit the green as opposed to some other irons which are also jacked but don't spin enough to hold the green.  For me long is 165-170 7 iron.  The look is not bad at all for a game improvement iron  and PXG did a nice job keeping the top line thin.  The feel, distance and forgiveness are outstanding at least for me.  So much so that I have no interest in straying and trying something else.  Yes I paid more even with the sale but from a cost effectiveness standpoint I am winning because I plan on playing these for a very long time

Looking forward to a PXG fitting this week, I was dead set against ever owning the screws but they will get a fair chance and their pricing is not in line with a lot of JDM Equipment. I did a Club Champion fitting last week for the new Mizuno 921 and several other heads and none could beat out the Honma TR20P in the bag, so I am hoping the PXG will give me something the others could not. 

Not really looking for more distance but 5 yds would be nice and tighter patterns would close the deal, thinking the 0311T GW to 8 and the P 7-4. But that is just what my ego would like, I could game the P all the way or a combo P & XP by reading about them and pictures and if the numbers work. 

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

Man, as much as I wanted to love the 921F, I Keep coming back to the feel I can't get out of my head from hitting the 0311 P Gen 3 a few weeks ago. 

the 921F when shafted with Steelfibers, at address reminded me so much of my Gen 1 0311. The only thing missing was the white line on bottom groove. Not sure what the actual differences are in top line and blade length but it just felt like what i was already hitting.  Feel was similar too.  I was in a SIM so outside could have been different, but I kept looking at the bottom to make sure i hadn't grabbed my 0311.  They felt that close.  

that said when I hit the Gen 3 0311P it was another level of feel. It was better than what I had been hitting.  It was one of those things I couldn't stop thinking about.  
At current prices a set would be $2450 for me (steelfiber up charge 4-PW) and if i do that, I gotta keep the Epic Flash SZ in the bag. If I did the 921F I would also have the cash for a new driver. But do I even upgrade to the 921 if they remind me of what I'm already hitting? 

Edited by Minarets

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

On 7/23/2020 at 1:35 PM, ssfranny said:

Ive had both Gen2 0311P and T and currently have a Gen2 combo set and Gen3 0311P. Frankly I think the Gen3 feel too mushy and I get no distance gains from the Gen3. If you can get Gen2 for less than half price of Gen3 I think thats way to go myself.

Likewise, I want more time with the Gen 3's, but I haven't seen a reason to dump my Black Gen 2 P's yet, went to those from Gen 1 0311T, but love to look of the Gen 3

Edited by LafFord
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR2 11 w/ 2024 Fujikura Ventus + Blue 6 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 4 wood 16.5 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7

Titleist TSR2 7 wood 21 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8 

PXG 0311X 18 w/ Graphite Design DI 95

PXG Gen 6 DC P's 5-GW w/ Fujikura Axiom 105

PXG SD2 56 w/ LA Golf WV 115

Titleist Vokey Proto 60K w/ LA Golf WV 115  

Scotty Cameron 009 

Titleist ProV1X

Vessel Player IV

• 2 months later...

I was gaming P790 and just got Gen 3 P. I don’t know man, PXG is supposed to be the best irons around but for the money, I’m scratching my head as of now, the profile is huge, I can’t believe it’s the “players” model P790 looks better to my eyes, feel is kind of the same between both sets, I may even say P790s feel even better. I don’t know, i may have made a really wrong purchase here... anyone feels the same?

• Like 1