This winter I bought some 718 ap2s 4-gw with stiff AMT s300 shafts. They were a demo set and didnt have a 3 iron, so instead of just finding a 3 iron in the set, I went with a little forgiveness. Settled on a p790 with an X stiff KBS tour flt.

I'm having trouble getting much distance out if this p790, to the point where I can't carry it any further than the ap2 4 iron, about 210 yds. It just seems pretty hard to elevate, but even when I do and strike it well, I just don't get the distance.

Swing speed isn't an issue, so I went with the x stiff, probably shouldn't have. What do y'all think, get another p790 in just a stiff, or get thr matching ap2 3 iron? BTW love the ap2 4 iron.

Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the loft of the 4 iron and 790?

Also i'm shocked that you are playing a stiff shaft and hit a 4 iron 210yds in the air

Ping G410LST 9* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Cally Mav SZ 13.5* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 wedges / Mitsu MMT 125TX

It could be the shaft you have in it. You seem to be used to the dynamic gold bend profile. Maybe changing shafts would help. Also, be sure to have lofts and lies checked out. Bought a used set recently and all the lies were out of wack, so it may be worth it to see

TSi3 8 Kuro Kage XD 70TX

Ts3 15.75 Diamana BF 80TX 

P790 3 Iron CTaper 130x

4-PW 1 degree weak 921 SEL CTaper 130x 

SM8 50.12 at 51 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 135x
SM7 54.08 at 56 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 135x

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 135x

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 with Stability Shaft

Srixon XV 

Get yourself a T-MB 3 iron with the same shaft as your AP2s

Titleist TSi3 8 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5

Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90X

Titleist T200 4 - Project X 6.5

Titleist T100 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Vokey SM8 Jet Black 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.08 M - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

I find the FLT to have very little feel, so if you think it feels too stout or lacks feel, you may be trying to subconsciously help the ball up in the air, which of course is going to result in less distance.

120-130g shaft in a 3i is pretty beastly stuff. I've tried 120g steel before in a 3i and my CHS dropped... and even though it was pretty easy to control, I found distance and height to be lacking. I like Graphite a lot more in longer clubs... Just don't see a reason to use steel anymore unless you absolutely need really heavy weight.

Try lighter Graphite in the 90-100g range. Or a hybrid...

Taylormade SIM Max 9* - Ventus Black 6x

Cobra Speedzone Big 3 Tour - Accra FX 2.0 370 M5

Cobra Speedzone - Accra FX 2.0 380 M5

Titleist 818H1 - Ventus Blue 10x

Cobra Forged Tec Black 6i, Forged CB 6-GW - AMT X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 54.12D, 58.8M - S400 Tour Issue Onyx

Custom Atwood

TP5 (testing Vice Pro)

Gotcha, i'm still surprised you are playing stiff flex at that speed but if you are hitting them well by all means stick to it. With that said I had a P790 #2 and #3 driving iron and got rid of them for the same reason. Off the tee they were great but hitting shots into greens were like missiles that wouldn't stop. I tested a few other driving irons and ended up with a Callaway Xforged UT 24* that not only is good off the tee but it's much easier to elevate off the deck into greens. It's the best driving iron I've tried to date.

On a side note I also hotmelted the Xforged UT in my shop. Was able to squeeze in about 3-4g's and the rest in lead tape to get my desired swing weight. It feels $$$$

Ping G410LST 9* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Cally Mav SZ 13.5* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 wedges / Mitsu MMT 125TX

I have similar swing speed and distances to the OP and have been playing stock stiff shafts in all my clubs for 15+years...irons have always been GS S300s. It wasn't until recently I got fitted and tried out a bunch of Xstiff shafts and had some good results (I wasn't looking to switch from S300 but results were pretty nice). I have a 3i (MP Fli Hi) with a DG 105 X100 shaft and it is a lighter weight but similar profile to what I am used to. For my complete iron set I'm looking into some of the other X100 options (120 or standard). Another shaft that performed well and I liked the feel was the C-Taper Lite Xstiff which is 115g I believe. Good luck!