Whats your worst experience on the course.

tsmith9109

I hit a priest I was playing with a ball. I did warn him he was in a bad spot. That cost me a lot of “ our fathers”. The rest of my round was heavenly though.

• Sad 1

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

I once got hit on the chest from a playing partners tee shot if that counts? 12th hole of my home course, I would have been about 13. I was stood at a 179 degree angle. How he managed to hit me I will never know but damn, that hurt. The bruise that came out was quite something. It was black and blue but you could see where the dimples in the ball were on the bruise. It took weeks to finally disappear as well.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Not while playing but working in the shop - a member’s guest had a heart attack and died on the course. The member was hysterical and called us instead of 911 and couldn’t tell us which hole they were on. Fire rescue came to the golf shop, if he had told us they were on #4 they could have driven right there, it’s next to the road. Might have saved him, he was still alive when they got there, but died on the way to hospital. That extra couple minutes could have saved him. The member was never the same guy after that, I moved away later that year but heard he tried to kill himself also. Truly awful.

• Sad 2

Gosh, that is heartbreakingly awful.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I won 2 complimentary passes to a local course. My buddy and i went to the course and we only took enough for lunch and gatorade. The lady says comp means 1/2 off, i lost it one her, she wouldnt budge so we only played 9 holes and didnt get lunch or water. I did nothing to the course, but online i bashed them on every site i could.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Had a course manager meet us before we teed off on the second day of a two day outing and told us we made people mad the day before because we played too fast. He tried to big dirk us in the parking lot and it did not go over well. I told him we were going to be up the group in front of us's butts if they insisted on letting fivesomes in 4 carts out on the course. He didn't like that either.

Was playing a round with my father-in-law. Group ahead was departing the green and beyond my range, I thought, plus into the wind. So I went ahead and hit my 3 wood and of course had the strike of a lifetime, but pushed right, headed right at them. I yelled fore at the top of my lungs, but with the wind in my face they heard nothing. Hit the oldest member of the group (must've been about 75) square in the back. Ugh. I drove up and apologized so many times they finally told me to go away and be done with it. A few holes later my father-in-law hit their cart! I don't know what the hell was going on with us that day. Still feel bad about it.

2 stories...one mine, one my Brother-In-Law's.

Mine.. I got a Green Bay Packer putter from my Dad (now deceased) for a college graduation present back in the mid 90's. Last year, on the 8th green, leaning on it (like I have for years) I snapped it off at the hosel. No way to repair. Devestated.

My Brother-In-Law takes a yearly golf trip to Vegas with a group of about 20 guys (I was not there). One guy would go to just to drink and get away from his wife. So one day he eats breakfast with the group, and they go out to golf..he stays back as usual. When they get back, everyone is looking for him. They find in dead, in the van. For some reason he went iron the group's van (he had a key) fell asleep inside. Van was not running (so no A/C), windows closed. EMTs figured between the inside heat (well over 120˚) and him being dehydrated, it wouldn't have taken long.

So the organizer has to call the wife. She says (I'm paraphrasing) "Was he drunk when he died?" Didn't seem upset or surprised, the way I hear the story.

Fortunately, all the times any of us have been hit (including me hitting myself in the head...twice) have been a great source of hilarity, and I know I've played with a couple of people who got on my nerves, but largely, I've been fortunate and have been blessed with making a lot friends playing and have had great times with them all. So, the one sad thing was playing regularly with a friend of mine. We used to play a par 3 course all the time. He'd be hitting three clubs more than I, but he managed. Occasionally, he'd snap and start throwing clubs. He'd get so mad, it'd get a little awkward. The final straw came when we played a full course. On some of the holes, I outdrove him by 100yds. He couldn't take it and quit the game. Fortunately, he found a hobby that suits him beautifully, and I'm very happy for him, but I don't see him very often. Oh, well.

In the league I play in, slow play can be a real issue, especially at the back end of our group. There is a 2-some that plays most tournaments, and they are almost always our very last group because of how slow they play. Me and my playing partner had been stuck playing with them a few times before, but the worst was when we got paired with them in the middle of the summer in Phoenix. We had a 7:30am shotgun start, and we did not walk off the course until 1:15 with the temperature over 110 degrees. The marshal had given our group a warning so many times it was ridiculous. It got so bad near the end of our round that the marshal actually rode in along side our group for the last 4 holes. To say the least me and my buddy were so frustrated, irritated, and rushed that we were playing like garbage. Yet no matter how much we rushed our shots, it did not speed up the other 2. After that tournament we told the league president that if we got paired with that group again, just cancel our entry to that tournament.

Long story short, a fistfight over slow play involving two guys I was randomly paired with and two guys from the foursome in front of us. It started with the one (drunk) guy in my group deliberately hitting onto a par 3 green while the group ahead was in the middle of putting. Drunk guy's slightly less drunk buddy also smashed the cell phone of the one guy in front when he tried to call the pro shop or 911 or whatever. Police were eventually called by someone else in the group ahead and arrived within minutes, they literally drove the cruiser right down the cartpath to the tee we were on. Myself and the other random single in the group got kicked off the course by even though we had nothing to do with the fight and were just bystanders. This was back in the late 1990s in south Florida on a course that is now a bunch of houses.

• Sad 1

One buddy of mine and I used to like to play money matches against each other. Never an issue as we were both about 8’s at this time and honest. He asked if if I could find someone to partner with because his boss was always asking him to play and we could just make it a foursome. No problem until we start to play. Front 9 there were a few questionable things, 50 yards right off the tee but somehow ball in first cut, no no I definitely made 5, that type of stuff. Asked my buddy if this guy was being an a$$ or just dumb/oblivious. He’d never played with him before but was kinda put in an awkward position because it was his boss. My partner caught the guy playing hockey with his ball when he thought no one was looking on the 15th hole which led to an unpleasant conversation but my buddy just conceded the hole and apologized privately before next tee. Then on 18 which was worth $200 guy tees off hits it left into waist high grass. “I’m all set!” Beautiful shot to the green, in in two putts for a net birdie and a win. Except he teed off with a white ball and it was a yellow ball that was on the green. I’m not paying you! Take care buddy hopefully I don’t ever see you again. It was really uncomfortable and my partner and I sat at a different table in clubhouse after where this guy got loud and accusatory toward me, really bad mouthing me. My friend stood up and went out to his bag and came back in with a camcorder. We didn’t notice him tape the guys tee shot. The old kind where it had the fold out side screen. It showed he teed off white and we all knew he putted out yellow. Guy didn’t say a word just stood up and walked out. My buddy apologized profusely and actually quit that job the next day. Very unpleasant round, very uncomfortable situation after it, I know it was even worse for my buddy. I’m actually glad that I just ignored him in the clubhouse because in the end, for me, it turned out fine. And in almost 30 years of playing that was the only bad experience I’ve had.

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

I was working in a pro shop once during a company tournament. A guy had a full nervous breakdown on the course and asked us to call an ambulance for him while he went full paranoid. Apparently the dozen beers didn’t like the cocktail of drugs in his system.

I feel bad for the guy. Clearly he needed help. Quite a decision to do this at a company event though.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

A 16 on a par 5 ...

The Navy Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max Driver @ 12.0º Alta CB Slate Sr

Ping G425 Max 5w / 7w @ 21.5º Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h @ 23.0º / 5h @ 27.0º Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 6-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS / 58° Eye2 Z-115

Seemore PCB 33"

Back-up Hoofer bag: Ping Eye2+ 3-SW Graphite

Shotgun scramble. Lots of non golfers and company types on the course. Hole 9 we're waiting for the group on the green so we pull over to the right side of the fairway, into the rough to catch some shade from the tree line.

I was sitting shotgun in the cart texting while we waited. This is when the ball came through. Guy on the first tee, about 40 yards away through the tree line, nailed it off the toe and went side ways. Never caught a tree.

So when Oakley says their glasses are bullet proof, I believe them. The ball hit me square in the center of the right eye lens. The frame broke clean at the impact sight. Broke my nose, did some mild nerve damage. I spent about a month having dried blood come out of my eye socket. I have pictures.. it was awesome.

• Like 1

I have a funny story. When I was playing high school golf, (1995) I was about to hit the ball and two of the other players from our opposing team began talking about 10 feet away from me. I started giving them the dagger stare and then continued my shot. My playing partner went to them, and ask them, “Do you know why you’ve never seen him play before? It is because during his freshman year he sent a guy to the hospital for talking during his back swing. This is the first year they let him play since then.” I had no more issues with them the rest of my round. Fact that I was 6’2” and close to 190 on a couple skinny little guys also played a part.

• Haha 1

One bad, one funny. Friend of mine was bitten by a rattlesnake, right into the vein on the ankle. Died twice on the helicopter, was given so much antivenin that the antivenin almost killed him. Antivenin has a lot of side effects, and they eventually made it impossible for him to play. Otherwise made a full recovery, although it took some time. Terrible day. I was playing in a tournament, had finished my round and was going into the clubhouse, while also admiring the backside of two women coming out. There was a sign on an easel just inside the door, which I knocked over, while getting tangled up and tripping over the easel. The sign had those little letters you press into grooves, and they went everywhere. The "friends" I was with fell out, which attracted even more attention, leaving me to dust off and try to casually walk away.

• Like 1

Had just started playing, took up golf after I saw Caddyshack (yes, in the theater , newly released) was by myself, Williams AFB AZ, brand new PING EYE's, irons and woods, par 3, saw a group on green, they were walking off (again, I had just started and knew SQUAT about golf) hit a perfect 5 wood, middle of green,,,,,,, 3 feet from this man,,,, from hair and facial hair I knew he was not active duty so I felt rather "safe".

When I got to the green, he was waiting for me, I was 19 and he was mid to later 30's, he asked me if I had seen him, I said yeah, and that I did not think I would be close, he was kind enough to give me a 3 minute golf etiquette lesson , told me to have a nice round and drove away,,,,,,

Three weeks later I walk in to see the credit union loan officer about getting a loan to buy my dream car, a Pontiac Firebird, guess who was selling it and WAS the loan officer? Yes, got the loan and bought car. I reminded him AFTER I got title transferred and loan, he said "I knew who you were",,,, 38 years ago,,,,

• Like 2

I've been playing golf for over 25 years been hit with errant drives, snapped heads of shafts, etc...however, I had a back surgery (accident in Afghanistan), I was "cleared" to play...I remember the first time I swung the club, it felt like I just came out of surgery, took the "good stuff" meds and managed to finish the round, I think I shot in the 150s, I should've went home, but I didn't, paid for it for the next few weeks, almost couldn't walk. Then, I felt great but the mental game killed me, thinking I didn't want to hurt my back again, this time shot in the 120s, still felt good but sore...it was the hardest time I've ever had in golf...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I guess I've gotten off easy from these stories. My worst things were playing with coworkers after work. This was when I couldn't break 100. Second shot ona par 4. I'm in the right rough and there's a small maintanance shed off to my right maybe 20 feet away at the most. I shank the ball right into the metal door on the shed.

Second one was playing in a scramble and on #2 hit my tee shot into a trash about 10 yards ahead of me and off to the left of the cart path and teeing area....

I'll take embarrassing myself over some of the bad stuff in this thread.

Doesn't come close to the sad tales of mortality on this thread., but...

A few years ago, the regional inter-club scratch trophy (5-man team event, best 3 scores) was being played at my new home course (I had moved to the area 2-3 years before that and taken up regular golf again after a long time living in a city where I didn't get the chance). I practiced intensively for weeks - just to try to make sure I could keep it respectable and hopefully score OK even though I was off 10 or 11 at the time, and obviously wouldn't compete with the scratch guys coming from other clubs. Our team had three low guys with a few others unavailable so I was there to make up the numbers, but obviously wanted to do well...

Just as we were teeing off, a huge downpour began. I was already nervous, and lost my first drive off the first tee, way right. Teed up another, and did the same thing again. Third ball, I snap hooked into a hazard, but found it only to hack it twice to move it on after that. I racked up a 12 on a hole where my worst score before or since has been 6 (and I'd usually expect a 4). The rest of the round and day passed very, very slowly, and the Scottish midges feasted on my group all the way round, especially while waiting on tees during a 5 hour round. The day was absolute torture from start to finish.

• PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

Was caught in a storm around 2000. Too far to run in, it came out of nowhere like a freight train. I stashed my clubs about 50 yards away from me and took cover in some dense woods. I recall praying hard. When it was over there were numerous tree limbs down everywhere. Smaller tree branches were stuck in the ground like throwing knives, and the fairways were covered in hail. Sun came out and I continued to play until a starter came out eventually and told me the course was closed, of course. I’ll never forget it, and I don’t mess around with the weather these days.

During the annual Chief selectee tournament about 4 years ago one of the guys whose only golf experience was playing in this event a couple of times before went to hit his tee shot on his first hole and no one is even sure exactly what he did, but his swing ended with the ball going about 4 feet and him completely destroying his left ankle. We have both transferred commands since then and I ran into him last year and when making small talk about how we both were he visibly shuddered when I mentioned how much golf I was getting to play and he told me he hasn't tried it again since and doesn't ever plan to again.

Played a nine hole course that weaved through a housing development. Too far from the restroom, I had bubbleguts and ran into the trees. It was middle of summer sunny in the mid 80s, and I was wearing shorts. Blew out the shorts and nonchalantly went to the cart and slid my rainpants on after leaving the evidence. I am lucky that I didn't run into poison ivy.

• Like 1

If anything can go right, it might!