Anyone still using Ping Eye2 Berylliums?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son Gordon and I shared a love of golf and the skills to repair golf clubs. Years ago, when he was in college, he was working at a local club. Part of the job was to help members get their clubs lo

Mine are retired...but still admired...

One of my sets. I have 4 sets of becu eye 2’s. This one is 1-lob all matching serial. Some irons have never touched a ball.

Posted Images

That was an outstanding 3W. That whole Midsize line was great. FlexTwist!!!!!!!!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
Mizuno MPT11 54/60 TTDG wedge flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a set about 15 years ago. I played some great golf with them for about 2 years and then didn’t play from 2007-2014 so I sold them. I’d recently been thinking about them not only because they were great clubs but also been thinking about the rounds I had with my golfing buddies back then. Decided to buy another set for nostalgia but also because they perform and just picked up a set of eBay. Can’t wait to get them in the bag again.

The Bag...

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” woods 1-4
Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding E.V.-A Sand Club

Macgregor Bobby Grace M6.4K 

I was never a fan of those irons. But I completely understand the appeal for some.

play what makes you love the game more.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 7X

3 wood: Titleist Tsi3 16.5 Haz RDX black 70 X flex

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

I have a set of BeCu Zings that I reshafted with black powder-coated AMT Tour White shafts and they are sweet. I play with them several times a year and they are just as good as anything I have ever hit, whether it be forged or otherwise. PING simply makes damm good irons, no doubt about it. I also just bought 3, 5, and 7 Callaway Warbird fairway woods to go along with them to make a "modern vintage" setup. I did try an older driver, but that's a big "hell no!" from me. I'm not giving up that much forgiveness for nostalgia's sake, lol.

Bag 1                                                                                        Bag 2

PING G400 Max 10.5° UST Attas 4U 6TS 44"                      PING G25 10.5° Graphite Design 2419S Prototype

Taylormade SLDR Mini 14° NV 2KXV Green 75X 42"            PING G25 3 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss75 S

Callaway 2015 Big Bertha 5 wood Attas 3 8X 41.5"             PING G25 5 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss85 S

Callaway Rogue 7 Wood Elements Wind 9X 41"                   PING G25 23° Hybrid KBS Tour V 110

Callaway Rogue 24° Hybrid Tour AD DI 95X                        PING G25 Irons 5-UW KBS Tour V 120

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 6-GW AMT Tour White s300    PING Glide 54° SS and 58° TS KBS 610 125

Mizuno T20 54° and 60° DG TI s400                                   PING Sigma Tyne H

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

• 2 months later...

Just bought a set of the stainless because I always wanted a set back in the day but, never indulged myself. 3 to LW. So much fun. Never said that about a set of irons before. Old timie lofts of course. About 1.5 clubs shorter. I just adjusted and hit some great shots. Feel surprisingly good at impact. The LW is a dream out of the sand. First day felt like Christmas. I'll keep them and play them when I want to remember what golf is really about. They will sit right beside my TN 87s. Classic.

Just bought a set of the stainless because I always wanted a set back in the day but, never indulged myself. 3 to LW. So much fun. Never said that about a set of irons before. Old timie lofts of course. About 1.5 clubs shorter. I just adjusted and hit some great shots. Feel surprisingly good at impact. The LW is a dream out of the sand. First day felt like Christmas. I'll keep them and play them when I want to remember what golf is really about. They will sit right beside my TN 87s. Classic.

I played a set of BeCu's for a LONG time. I got the heads 2-SW and shafted them with Royal Precision Tour Flighted Rifle 6.0 shafts based on a 39" 5 iron. They were black dots and I needed white dots, but I loved the irons so much I just played them. Eventually I wanted something else and like a fool sold them. I kept the shafts and sold the heads for what I paid for them.

If I see a set of white or green dots, I will jump on them and probably throw a set of KBS C Tapers in them.

I would have zero qualms about playing them today, and if my friends made fun of me...well, I'd just laugh cause they're jealous.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I acquired a 3-SW set 4 years ago, and reshafted them with KBS C-Tapers. I have tried several sets of irons, from Mizunos to TaylorMade JDM Burner TP’s, and always return to the BeCu’s wondering why I even bothered to try anything else. At one point in a fit of insanity I even put them up for sale, and fortunately the Golf  Gods slapped me silly for doing so. Besides, I didn’t even get a nibble. 
I am a professional musician, and I play what works best for me, regardless of the latest and greatest out there. If someone doesn’t agree with my choice of club or instrument, the “(expletive deleted) ‘em and feed ‘em fish heads” quote comes to mind. The BeCu’s have a feel and flight like no other, and they are staying. 
Now to find an “affordable” set of ISI nickels...

A couple of years ago, the overall Eye2 family came up in one of our discussions.

At the end, a fellow WRXer PMed me and offered to sell me the full-meal deal Eye2 BeCu set: 1i - LW for $400. Although tempted, I declined.

If I had a walkout basement which I controlled, I would have been tempted to buy.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, rjcejka said:

what's your take on stainless vs becu on feel and performance ?

No difference performance wise.  Look and feel is different.  I own stainless, copper and nickel.   Nickel is the softest.  I still play my eye 2 stainless lob that has been in my bag since 1990..  material is a personal preference. BeCu eye 2 sw and lobs still command high resale value.  

On 5/11/2020 at 12:15 AM, golfunderpar18 said:

One of my sets. I have 4 sets of becu eye 2’s. This one is 1-lob all matching serial. Some irons have never touched a ball.

PLBN5RKSMD0U.jpeg

FBQI14JWY670.jpeg

PVHO3WCHBXKN.jpeg

DQNV8CEH5PIU.jpeg

A31F2H2JUYWT.jpeg

BBNQKFXSZ0HU.jpeg

G0XKSJ0J1WFU.jpeg

I officially hate you. 🙂

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid

Titleist 816H2 23* @ 24*
Srixon ZX5's  5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0  50*
Ping Glide
 54 & 58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

On 1/5/2021 at 4:16 AM, braincramp52 said:

I officially hate you. 🙂

Lol...sold them last summer.  I Still have 3 sets of becu eye 2’s, one set of becu zings, one set of stainless eye 2’s, one set of stainless zings with the uber expensive red carbon fiber shafts, and one set of nickel isi’s.  

Edited by golfunderpar18
  • Like 1

I’m gonna use this set this year.  I prefer the looks of the BeCu version, but the BeNi feel better.  I love everything about them!  

2BF1CEB1-2F0D-4CAD-B32E-EBF772177AD9.jpeg

Edited by Jaygolf37
  • Like 4

Titleist TS2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke
Cobra BioCell 3W w/ Aldila Tour Green ATX65
Cobra LTD 5W Hy w/ Aldiss Rougue
PING BeNi ISI w ZZ65’s...freshly tumbled
Vokey SM’s 50, 54 & 58
TM TP Berwick
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

1 hour ago, Lasorcier said:

Out of curiosity, did those copper ISIs come with black fill or was that done afterwards?  Mine came in white.  Just curious.  The black looks nifty.

20201219_201804.jpg

I have both BeCu, and BeNi.  The ones I posted above are my BeNi set.  I did the black paint fill.  Stole the look from Ping WRX.  Looks great on the BeNi.

• Like 1

Titleist TS2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke
Cobra BioCell 3W w/ Aldila Tour Green ATX65
Cobra LTD 5W Hy w/ Aldiss Rougue
PING BeNi ISI w ZZ65’s...freshly tumbled
Vokey SM’s 50, 54 & 58
TM TP Berwick
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...