When did you stop playing CB irons?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I generally stopped playing CB irons after a handful of practice sessions and about the second or third round playing them. I have tried several sets of BC irons during my golfing days and most have

There is no law saying you have to buy late model CB to play this game. If you want more conservative lofts, either you can buy late model player's CB where their PW has a loft between 46-48 deg or b

Still playing Taylormade 2005 tp cb’s. More like traditional lofts with 48* PW. I have 3 sets. Why are some going away from CB’s?

There is no law saying you have to buy late model CB to play this game. If you want more conservative lofts, either you can buy late model player's CB where their PW has a loft between 46-48 deg or buy an older model GI or SGI model with those similar lofts.

There was a time when the lofts of GI and SGI irons of an OEM where the same lofts as their player's irons counterparts.

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I generally stopped playing CB irons after a handful of practice sessions and about the second or third round playing them. I have tried several sets of BC irons during my golfing days and most have been a bad fit for me. The only CB irons I have ever had any success with was the Titleist 962b irons in the later 90s. Those were retired when I got my first set of 1999 Ben Hogan Apex blades. I recently tried Mizuno JPX-900 Tour irons and that experiment lasted two rounds and 4 practice sessions. I still hit my Apex blades better and those are just as forgiving in my trials.

• Like 2

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5° (tour issue 9.9°), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S   ||  3W:  TaylorMade M4 15° (tour issue small head, 15.1°), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade SLDR 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85S Hybrid  ||  Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Wedges:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged: 52°, 58°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff ||  Putter: Byron Morgan custom Epic Day

Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred (2016 ball)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5 stand bag

Turn it around. When I stopped playing blades and started playing CB. lol When I started playing golf, there were only blades. 1968 to 1980 was blades (Top Flight, Wilson Staff, MacGregor Tourney). Since then, CB. The closest CB to a blade was my Hogan Apex Plus.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft Fairway woods: Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 wood Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i Irons: Srixon ZX5 6-AW, Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56 and 60 degree Putter: mySpider X

mp60 were my last set of cb's

Ping G400 Max 11.1* Project X - 6A4 

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Blueboard 63x + G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard 73x

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* KuroKage Slvr 80x + 5h 26* Fubuki AX400 82x

Srixon ZX7 6 - PW PX Catalyst 100 6.5 (SS 1 X)
Vokey TVD M 51* & TVD M 57* Oil DG TI s400 

Vokey SM2 Oil Finish 63* DG TI s400 

Scotty GoLo 7 (35g weights)

Are you complaining about cavity-back, or SGI/mislabeled GI irons? I would suggest you find cavity-back irons in SGI, GI and Players Distance categories, depending upon the model. As for PWs...

I played Calla X20 Tours - definitely CB - for about 10 years. The PW was 46°.TaylorMade SLDR irons (2014) has 46° PW. (Had Thru-Slot variation on cavity back.)Titleist 718 CB irons had 47° PW.Our club pro got new TM irons with a 44° PW. He added specialty wedges 48-52-56-60 to standardize his inside-100 scoring game. He strengthened the 5i and dropped the 4i to make room for the fifth wedge.

When the resurrected Hogan irons showed up circa 2015, the line offered single-degree loft changes from 20° up through the wedges. One set I considered was 22°, 27° and 32°, followed up by 4-degree increments up through the wedges. One way to handle strong lofts hurting distance gaps is to add a wedge, and squeeze out one of the longer irons.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Went the other way: blade to bladish CBs. Had the Cally 2013 X-Forged and loved them. They got beat up pretty bad over the years, especially from the sandy soil where I play now, so I picked up the Apex Pro 19 irons. I like compact heads, thin top lines, and minimal offsets like blades provide. I don't want to go stronger than 45 degrees in the PW. But the forgiveness in the players cavity backs just make golf more enjoyable.

A long time ago, my set would be 2-PW in blades, with a 56 and 60 wedge setup. Woods were driver and 3 wood. My all time favorite blade was the Mizuno TP-9 lefties. Now, I have the driver, 3 wood, 3 and 4 hybrids, 5-PW. and 50, 54. and 60 wedge set up.

I always go back and forth between players cbs and blades. Right now, I am really happy with the Yonex I use. They are small and have very little offset, which I like. I dropped the 46* PW for an RTX4 48*, though. The set pitching wedge was a little too hot for me on partial shots.

Callaway Mav SZ 3D 9

TaylorMade M3 17.5

Cobra F9 DI 19.5

Yonex CB-301 4-PW

Vokey SM8 50F, 54F, 58T

Odyssey 2Ball Ten WH