Handicaps 10 - 18 - What type of irons are you playing?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

John Letters MM Forged Prototype. I bought a set of Srixon z765's but I just can't take the JL's out of the bag.

LOL...I like the 11s and they were actually really ahead of their time for the technology that they have. Theyre a hollow-bodied iron that still has a pretty compact head and thin soles, so they look

10 hcp 919 HM  

Distance is king. Most of us in this handicap range have figured out how to hit the ball solidly if not truly consistently, but we're limited by those drives that fade too much or the 7 iron that doesn't quite make it to 140 even if that's our 7i distance.

I play steelhead xr, and I am appreciative of the strong lofts and tech.

If I gained 30pct distance on every club I'd drop 10 strokes. Thus the chase.

10 years ago, when I was an 8 handicap or so, I bought some AP1 (710) with the Titleist (Nippon) 105T shafts in stiff, 4 - PW. Played just fine with them. I was 57.

I went to Titleist Manchester Lane in 2012, and they suggested going to a R shaft in AP1 - same 105T shaft. I actually played even better when I switched to the regular shafts.

I have basically been playing those clubs, AP1 (712), with a few AP2 (714) short irons (same shaft) in a combo set, since 2012, 2014.

Last year i tore my rotator cuff in my right shoulder, for the second time. I didn't play much last summer because it hurt like hell, unless i self medicated (Mr John Dewers to the rescue).

Had surgery in November, and I am starting to hit balls again. No pain. I'm at least a 12 now. Scored 42 for 9 holes last week, first time out. I had ordered two i210 7-irons, one with the AWT Reg, and one with the XP 95 reg. I think that the XP 95 is a bit easier to hit more often, although the AWT might go a bit farther on best hits. I am about to order 6 -Pw i210 with the XP 95 shaft. I'll pick up a G410 6-iron with the XP 95 shaft, just because, and maybe the 7-iron too. I'd like to play the i210's for a year, but I also might be better suited to the G410's. I will say that the i210's seem to fall in between my old Ap1's and AP2's.

At my age I still enjoy a Ping G25 driver, 4-wood, 5-wood and 7-wood. I bought a G410 5-hybrd with the Tour regular shaft. I can hit it, but it seems like it is too much shaft when I get tired. I am going to pick up the regular stock shaft and see if that is easier.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

11 handicap here. I'm playing Srixon 565s from 5 to AW with Modus 120 stiff shafts. Love em.

I could probably play the 765/785 range fine, and could definitely go with the 765/785 range from at least 9 iron on down or so, but... I don't really think that I would gain anything. The only reason would be aesthetic. I am not good enough to work the ball.

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood

Cobra F9 5 Wood

Srixon H45 4 hybrid

Srixon 565 5-AW

Ping Glide 3.0 54 deg.

Callaway PM Grind 60 deg.

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Took both sets to the range and hit them. Preferred the iBlades so I sold the S55's. 27h in and am still more than happy with my decision. Lots of rust from lack of play, but good strikes have given me just what I expected and misses have been exactly what I expected. Only knock I have is lack of a set UW as I personally like set GW's that preform more like irons (99.5% are full to 3/4 swings anyway) than adding in a wedge.

SM 3.5 Bag:

G410 Plus 9* w/ Tensei Orange Pro 6X

TM Sim Ti 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ Evenflow EF T1100 6.0

TBD

TBD

Piretti Potenza II 365g 34"

I play Ping G25 irons. They meet my needs. I have always liked the industrial/functional look of Ping irons.

Driver: Taylormade M3
4W: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2
3H: Ping G410

4H: Cobra Baffler
5H:  Ping G
6 - SW: Ping G25
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser

currently 11.5

gaming Miura CB501, had BBs in the bag but went back to a softer shafts after months of bad form. Otherwise would continue to play the BBs

Callaway Epic Subzero 9.5° [i]Oban Devotion 65-04[/i]
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 15° [i]Oban Devotion 75-04[/i]
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-PW [i]Nippon Modus 125S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 52.08 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 58.07 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 34"

Ping I210...previously were Maltby DBM and Pi5 before that.

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

Mizuno mp18 2 fli hi 4-6 mmc, 7-9mb t20 wedges. All with x100 tour issues

Backup bags John Letters master model blades (3-pw with project x 6.0) John letters prototype mm(3-pw with n s pro 1150 tour) mizuno mp32 with s300 mizuno mp59 with x100.

Been playing for 2 years. Tried blades after a year and now can’t bear looking at thick top line, offset and wider soles that most would say I should play.

I’m at a 16. Currently playing Wilson C200 irons with KBS 120’s. They’re plenty forgiving, long, and don’t look half bad.

• Like 1

Ping G 9* Tour 65
Callaway X2Hot 4 Wood Redboard 73
Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Redboard 73
Ping G20 #3 Altus 
Wilson C200 KBS Tour 120 5-PW
Fourteen RM 22 Raw 52, 56, 60
Odyssey WH 2 Ball Tour Fill CS, Ping Scottsdale Piper TR CS, Rife Barbados CS, or Yes Pippi Mid CB

19 index trending towards a 15-16.

All Mizuno irons

MP-H5 3i w/graphite shaft

MP-15 4-6i w/S300 Sensicores

MP-33 7-PW w/same shafts, bent 1* strong

T20 56, 60 w/S400 TI

Love the feel, sound, looks and reliability. You get back exactly what you put in. Whoever says I shouldn’t play MB’s, it doesn’t faze me. Wasn’t shooting lower scores with more forgiving designs and definitely don’t have a distance problem. Can play knockdown shots into the wind and punches under tree branches, and a draw to a lefthand pin. Fades on command don’t work yet. Pretty ok shot arsenal for my third season, and these sticks react so reliably.

Dream set would be the same setup with MP-20 HMB/MMC/MB’s, but for now, no need to upgrade. And the looks you get on the first tee...