SIM driver guys - talk about it

getitdaily

It take me 2 months from Sim Max to Sim, diamante to pro 2.0. Now the Sim 10.5 lower to 9.75 with custom weight, 6 gram heavier than stock slightly on the toe side is finally dialed in, it is longer and straighter than my TS2 and still able to move it both way.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

I got fitted to the Sim Max indoor, the sound really never bothered me. But once I had it and took it outdoor, it really sound weird just like you say even on good strikes. It is one of the reason I changed to Sim, similar sound but more soild and louder.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

I mostly hit the sim during the demo day so that may explain I didn´t notice it then. I was so thrilled just about every shot went straight and long without much effort. But I don´t see anything loose. Will check the weight screw. All the reviews rave on how good it sounds but maybe I am so brainwashed by the titanium sound lol. They say it sounds solid but I don´t think it is a solid thud at all. On the range today and still think there is some kind of water splashing going on.

Will take some time getting used to as the club I got is not the club I remember from demo day. To much golf is worse for the driver swing then no golf it seems. If I let the club do the job and relax just focus on hitting the sweetspot it mega slices to the right. The strange thing I find is I have to move back the ball a lot in the stance. That is the one and only thing I found that helps. Having it similar to how I hit my 3 wood just a ball or two forward of the middle I can actually have it flying straight 50 % of the time. Feels really odd though I expected it to cause more pulls to the right for having less time to get back to square but...

Has anyone ordered Sim/Max custom built through TGW, i am wondering because on their site it shows the picture of the Smoke Green Small Batch PVD when you choose from their no-upcharge list.

There has also been a question under the Max driver if this is correct and they confirm that you get the shaft that is pictured. (though i find it hard to believe)

But since i guess they custom order direct from TMAG and the Smallbatch PVD isnt on their custom list i have to ask if anyone can confirm that this is the shaft you actually get?

After a month of battles with Sim 8* (standard) vs. Sim Max 8.25* (one click lower), the Sim Max reigned supreme. Sure, I would occasionally nut the Sim and it would go for miles but what won me over with the Sim Max was the consistency. My SS is 115-117 mph, trackman tells me I need to launch between 10*-12* and spin rates need to be between 2180-2280 for max performance (that's if my AoA is at 1*-3*, etc...). I'm currently a 2 handicap and gamed a G400 Lst for the last two seasons in which I had great success with. Shafts tested were Hzrdus Smoke Green 60 6.5, Accra TZ5 65 M5, and Ventus Black 6x. Again, when nutted, the sim launches around 10* with 171 ball speed, 310-215 carry and 335 ish total. But the dispersion was not good and would occasionally hit a nasty duck hook. It was those few hits that went miles that kept it a tempting option.

With the Sim Max, I was seeing consistency and beautiful dispersion. On 20 strikes, I averaged 11.2* launch, 2290 spin, 169 mph ball speed, and 294 carry. When I nutted one, it was only short of the well hit Sim by a few yards with similar ball speeds. The amount of forgiveness on this thing is next level.

On course, I saw exactly what I saw on Trackman. The Sim in the 8* head was just so challenging for me to control while the Sim Max was point and shoot. I also enjoyed the feel of the max a bit better than the sim. That being said, I liked the sound of the Sim better than the Max.

If you are a consistently strong driver of the ball, the Sim will be your best friend. If you're like me and forgiveness is a priority, go for the Sim Max.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

Just got a Sim head to put my Ventus 6x blue in. I had the shaft in my M5. What is the weight of the back weight that comes standard on the Sim? With the Ventus in it, the swing weight feels heavier then when the M5 is on it. Playing today for 1st round.

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black (90x)
Miura MB101 (4-PW) with KBS Black $ Taper (130x)
Vokey SM8 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS Black $ Taper 
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

Still obviously in the honeymoon phase, but after 5 rounds my Sim Max feels like a game changer. Handicap is down a full 2 strokes, with 4 of the 5 rounds counting toward my current index. This is primarily due to my big left miss being completely gone, and my fairway hit percentage is up about 20%. Fingers crossed this holds up!

Took about a month to get the club since my pro felt that the 70 g Rogue Silver was the best fit. I was getting almost identical numbers from the 60 g and 70 g version on good swings, but my tempo and dispersion was markedly better with the 70 g, which was not what I was expecting. Personally didn't see any performance benefit from the upcharge shafts we tried, which was nice from a price perspective.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

My SIM came in about two weeks ago and am still getting used to it. I was fit for the Smoke Green 70X with the adapter opened up all the way so it's playing at 7*. On good swings I'm reaching spots I've never seen but the mishits can be pretty frightening. Heel strikes, to me at least, seem to be far more punishing than off the toe with the SIM.

I've still got another ~60 days or so to test via the PGASS guarantee but if the control doesn't tighten up a bit I'll likely switch it out for the SIM Max or Mavrik SZ (which was a close 2nd to the SIM during the fitting).

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

I'm also in the honeymoon phase with SIM 9°. I played Nike Vapor fly pro limited for the past 4 years, and my normal ball flight is a draw. I have occasional duck hooks, so I was hoping get rid of that with SIM driver. But I've been getting a ball flight I never experienced before. On a good swing, the balls goes straight left flying only about 2-3yds off the ground. It felt really good off the face, but when the ball flies that way, it's really frustrating. I had one good teeshot that was about 320yds on par5, but other than that my teeshots were low/straight or straght low/left. It might be the twist face but I need to find out what's causing it. But man, it felt really good off the face.

Nike [color=#0000CD] Vapor Fly Pro Limited [/color]driver 9.5* Whiteboard 70g X-stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Flex [/color]3 wood 15* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor[/color] [color=#99FF00]Flex [/color]5 wood 19* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Pro[/color] 3-PW S300 / Vapor Pro Combo 3-PW X-100 
Nike Engage wedge 52* Square
Nike Engage wedge 58* Toesweep
Nike [color=#0000CD]Origin B1-01 [/color][color=#000000]35"[/color] Putter with TW Proto Grip
Nike 2016 Platinum Cart Bag
IG airbong23

Mine goes high and mega slice to the right when I try to get some extra out of it.

My swing have changed so I have to tee it like I hit a 3 wood to have a chance of it going straight. Sometimes I can actually get a pull left by putting the ball back in the stance.... The mega right slice is maybe the safest bit it´s such a horrible shot and you have to aim at the trees on the left side. Not comfortable lol

During the demo day I just bombed it straight right ahead with no effort like I couldn´t fail :(

I had a couple of slight misses with the Max that gave me flights I had never seen before - very odd. Played with 3 ex D1 college players this week all using Sim and they all were fighting blocks with it. When they got it it went well. My Max hit some of the nastiest bombs I've ever had but went back to G410 LST @ 8* after 27 holes and hit 90% of fairways averaging 300-310. It wasn't even a close battle. The forgiveness difference is staggering IMO. Could've just been that I couldn't get use to a lighter head though.

I'm still smitten with the Max. If my iron/wedge play wasn't so bad right now I could be taking way more advantage of what this driver is giving me. Sound and feel are so subjective but I did feel like the regular SIM was a bit too muted on feedback and felt a bit hard off the face. I know where I'm hitting the face on the Max and the sweet spot feels explosive. The ball flight is so strong.

Atmos Black has been a good pairing with the head but I'm going to try a Kuro Kage XD for the next few rounds to see if I can squeak out a little extra.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Anyone have any thoughts about SIM Max vs 2016 M2? Specifically launch and spin characteristics.

I thought the M2 was relatively lower launch and lower spin and I went to a 12 degree head because of this.

Im wondering whether to go for a 10.5 or 12 degree head in the SIM Max. 10.5 has been more typical for me with other drivers in the past, other than the M2 which I lofted up.

Thanks in advance!

I did not hit them side by side. But I played 16 m2 for 2 years and demo'd sim max (ended up in sim).

Ballspeed and spin between 16m2 and sim.max are very, very similar. Sim.max, in the same lofted head, should.launch a bit higher 1-3 degrees higher.

The 2nd biggest difference is spin. Sim max will spin less than 16m2...a few hundred rpm less.

Th3 biggest difference is forgiveness. Sim max is much better there.

Now, your individual results could be better or worse. Strike is king and you may not get along with the sim max head/shaft combos available to test...

I'm using the same shaft from my old driver diamana d+ so it's not the shaft. SIM head does feel heavier for me, so it could be that or my swing. But with my normal swing error I never had this type of ball flight before, so it seems odd to me.

Nike [color=#0000CD] Vapor Fly Pro Limited [/color]driver 9.5* Whiteboard 70g X-stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Flex [/color]3 wood 15* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor[/color] [color=#99FF00]Flex [/color]5 wood 19* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Pro[/color] 3-PW S300 / Vapor Pro Combo 3-PW X-100 
Nike Engage wedge 52* Square
Nike Engage wedge 58* Toesweep
Nike [color=#0000CD]Origin B1-01 [/color][color=#000000]35"[/color] Putter with TW Proto Grip
Nike 2016 Platinum Cart Bag
IG airbong23

I hit it at a demo day and I couldn't get past the sound. Reverted back to my M3 , the sim fairway wood I definitely liked.

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS