2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

SIM driver guys - talk about it

getitdaily

Upping the back weight in sim max, they built mine with a 9g, pro at club has a 17.5 for me

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Yup. Northern Canada here. I wouldnt know or trust a fitter near me if there is one. I doubt there is even a track man in my town haha.

That being said, I understand how much a fitting could help but I know my swing speed, I know my misses, tendencies, which shaft feels good, how I like the ball to curve etc.

I made an educated guess on the SIM and came out smelling like roses. Other times I have struck out.

God knows what could happen tomorrow. I've just removed the rear weight and added a 13g weight up front with the 10g. I like to try all the options just to see what will happen. Suppose if i'm honest if it was any good this way thats the way Taylor would have built it but i'll wait to see. Tried some lead tape over the back weight with 10 up front but did'nt feel it offered me anything.

I will fear mine for as long as I live. Its been horrendous but last round found back to it to some degree. Still cant decide weither a shorter shaft would be better then just gripping down. Now the inconsistency of how much to grip down can cause inconsistencies. But its a really effective way to shotshape. Now I really shouldnt play such advanced golf :p

Honestly you're probably pretty close to the M1 430 at that point. Very low and forward, so be super careful of anything straying towards the toe as you'll be in drop kick city.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

On 7/9/2020 at 11:32 PM, AUTIGER07 said:

My SIM came in about two weeks ago and am still getting used to it. I was fit for the Smoke Green 70X with the adapter opened up all the way so it's playing at 7*. On good swings I'm reaching spots I've never seen but the mishits can be pretty frightening. Heel strikes, to me at least, seem to be far more punishing than off the toe with the SIM.

I've still got another ~60 days or so to test via the PGASS guarantee but if the control doesn't tighten up a bit I'll likely switch it out for the SIM Max or Mavrik SZ (which was a close 2nd to the SIM during the fitting).

I ended up getting rid of the SIM before the playability guarantee expired. Just wasn't consistent with it at all. It's a great driver and is easily the longest club I've ever hit but I also found it to be one of the most unforgiving drivers as well. Mishits with it were just brutal.

I ended up hitting the Mavrik SZ, SIM Max, Speedzone & Extreme, TS3 / TS4, and the Ping LST and surprisingly I walked out with the Ping. The SIM and Mavrik SZ were 12 & 10 yards longer than the Ping but the dispersion was an issue. What sold me on the Ping was after 20ish balls the total width of the dispersion area was about 14 yards from left to right. 

Sadly I'm reaching middle age where you stop chasing distance and go after the club that more often leaves you in the short grass. 

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

27 minutes ago, AUTIGER07 said:

I ended up getting rid of the SIM before the playability guarantee expired. Just wasn't consistent with it at all. It's a great driver and is easily the longest club I've ever hit but I also found it to be one of the most unforgiving drivers as well. Mishits with it were just brutal.

I ended up hitting the Mavrik SZ, SIM Max, Speedzone & Extreme, TS3 / TS4, and the Ping LST and surprisingly I walked out with the Ping. The SIM and Mavrik SZ were 12 & 10 yards longer than the Ping but the dispersion was an issue. What sold me on the Ping was after 20ish balls the total width of the dispersion area was about 14 yards from left to right. 

Sadly I'm reaching middle age where you stop chasing distance and go after the club that more often leaves you in the short grass. 

Same issue.  I tried the 9 and 10.5 SIM and just could never get the consistency I wanted.  Some of the issue was I was playing a G400 Max before and that probably allowed me to get away with some looser swings, that I absolutely could not get away with playing the SIM.  After playing the SIM and going back to the MAX, the MAX stopped working, it was no longer a fairway finding machine.  I tried for three range trips and four rounds.

Cooler heads prevailed and in walked the G410 LST into my life.  What an absolute game changer........for me.  I got lucky and found one used that happened to have a HZRDOUS yellow in it that was what was in my 3 wood.  I am three rounds in and the size/shape/color of the head looks really good behind the ball.  The sound is much better than the MAX and my ballflight looks better, curves less, and comes out like a bullet rather than a limp wristed smack like the 400 max.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

So I finally got my SIM. 

Immediately played 9 holes with it and shanked every drive, then took it to the range and I was able to dial it in to a more manageable soft fade. Had to change a few things about my swing and ball position from my old R9 driver, but the SIM is working great so far for me. Misses travel further than some of my best hits with the R9. 

One thing I do miss is the sound off of the face, loved the way my R9 sounded, but can't complain when compared to performance. 

What's the best way to keep the face clean? Still just warm water and some soap? 

Edited by Duck Dodgers

TaylorMade SIM 9* HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.5
Taylormade Burner 3W
Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 4H 21*
Titleist OG AP2 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52* 
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 60*
Odyssey F7 2-Ball

2 hours ago, Duck Dodgers said:

What's the best way to keep the face clean? Still just warm water and some soap? 

Magic eraser with some water is all I needed to take off white tee marks on the face and bottom of the club.

I've been gaming the SIM now for most of the summer, finally decided to ditch the hacked Ventus Black I had purchased of BST and instead had my Accra TZ5 retipped and put it into the SIM. I could not be happier with the performance. Currently playing the 10.5 down at 8 degrees, love the way it sets up behind the ball, and this shaft just works so well for me. Been averaging 300+ yards off the tee with it for the past several weeks.

Side note: I made some changes in my swing to be more single-plane now (following some of Bryson's technique) and it's been the single best thing for my long game I've ever come across. Standing further away, extending my lead arm to match the plane of the shaft, and then just feeling like all I do is turn (no hand manipulation or conscious setting of the wrists). Feels like I can go as hard after it as I want.

• Thanks 1

Driver: TSR3 10.0* | Accra Tour Z RPG 472 45"

5 Wood: SIM Max 18.5* | Mitsubishi MMT 85TX

2i: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* | KBS Prototype 95X

3i: Ping i59 @ 21* | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
4-PW: Callaway TCB Raw | Project X 7.0
Wedges: 50&54&60: Cleveland CBX Zipcore | Project X 6.5
Putter: Cobra Vintage Sport-60

Well Im back as I started with the M4 didn't care for it than got the M3, much nicer, 1 1/2 years later I got the SIM MAX with GD AD IZ^ shaft as that was long and pretty forgiving but the hype of the PING G410 SFT, LST and Plus got a hold of me, the Plus was the best of the 3. I used a GD AD IZ6 for all 3 PING's. The 10.5 was a bit too high and with a 9* I hit too many thin shots that put me in trouble. Well once again the hype got the best of me so I tried the Mavrick Max 10.5 with stock reg. flex Riptide shaft as it only last 2 rounds , way too light and way too high of a launch. Looked the best and felt the best but not overwhelmed with the results.

So now I picked up SIM 9* (not the MAX)  with it in the draw setting and with the Project X HDZR Green Smoke shaft and what a great combo. I couldn't believe how nice it felt and it is long, longest of the bunch that I've tried so far this year. My misses are still going straight and usually they run through the fairway. Looks like TM SIM is going to stay in the bag as I'm not even interested in the new Big Bertha B21 or PING G425 coming out soon. I could have easily stuck with PING G410 Plus but glad the SIM has given me the confidence back on the Tee.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Highly interested in the SIM. I currently play the epic sz 9* with an evenflow black 75x tipped 1". The shaft inst mine, buying a shaft and trying to decide whether to get the Max or regular SIM. I also have a ping g400 max head but I have to set that thing to 8* to keep the flight down. No fitters here, id have to fly to the states (2000 dollars round trip lol). Seems like the logical choice is SIM, but im wondering if anyone can directly compare the SIM MAX to G400max. 

20 hours ago, TJ83 said:

Highly interested in the SIM. I currently play the epic sz 9* with an evenflow black 75x tipped 1". The shaft inst mine, buying a shaft and trying to decide whether to get the Max or regular SIM. I also have a ping g400 max head but I have to set that thing to 8* to keep the flight down. No fitters here, id have to fly to the states (2000 dollars round trip lol). Seems like the logical choice is SIM, but im wondering if anyone can directly compare the SIM MAX to G400max. 

I went from G400 Max to Sim Max. ~103MPH SS, was playing G400 Max at 9 degree head, Tour 65 stiff. My AoA is pretty flat with a tendency to get a little steep, even with a driver, so I was spinning the G400 Max way more than I thought, 2800-3200 range from what I recall. Got fit to a Sim Max, 9 degrees, Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 6.0. Gained 20-25 yards carry instantly, spin dropped to 2300ish, ball speed increased, no loss in accuracy. Didn't hit the regular Sim, forgiveness was one of my primary objectives in getting a new driver, but I am very happy with my Sim Max. 

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

1 hour ago, arenapoutine said:

I went from G400 Max to Sim Max. ~103MPH SS, was playing G400 Max at 9 degree head, Tour 65 stiff. My AoA is pretty flat with a tendency to get a little steep, even with a driver, so I was spinning the G400 Max way more than I thought, 2800-3200 range from what I recall. Got fit to a Sim Max, 9 degrees, Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 6.0. Gained 20-25 yards carry instantly, spin dropped to 2300ish, ball speed increased, no loss in accuracy. Didn't hit the regular Sim, forgiveness was one of my primary objectives in getting a new driver, but I am very happy with my Sim Max. 

arenapoutine, thanks for the feedback. For what I've read so far, including your experience, it seems the SIM Max spins less than the G400 max. I love the G400 Max (except the sound) but with it being so windy here most of the year, it's extra work to keep the G400 Max from balloning. Been seeing some 9* SIM Max heads on the bay might have to grab one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TJ83 said:

arenapoutine, thanks for the feedback. For what I've read so far, including your experience, it seems the SIM Max spins less than the G400 max. I love the G400 Max (except the sound) but with it being so windy here most of the year, it's extra work to keep the G400 Max from balloning. Been seeing some 9* SIM Max heads on the bay might have to grab one. 

Do it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the chance to play the Speedzone Black/white 10.5 with HZRD yellow 60 gram stiff as that club looked like you could kill it. I did have 2 drives on 9 holes that impressed me but this thing had a tendency of wanting to fade on me. Tried different adjustment but I wasn't convinced to keep it. Looks and feel were nice as I was limited on time as I know the right shaft might have made a bigger difference but it never had a chance of knocking out my TM SIM with 9* HZRD Green 70 gram stiff. This ranks pretty close right up there with the PING 425's that I've hit but TM is longer, feels better, sounded better and I like the looks.

Played a quick 9 holes with my TM SIM with windy conditions mostly right into my face and only 2 drives got away from me which wasn't off line by that much. Still had a good look at the green bogged 1 par'ed the other. Finished even par as 2 of my drives were over 300 yards 315 and 320 as that was a slight cross wind. Hit the GIR on 1 par 5 as I used a 5I and a 6I on both par 5's. Pared and birdie as 1, as I  2 putted every thing  Very impressed with the SIM as I love it when it's right down the sprinkler line with a perfect trajectory. TaylorMade when you come out with your next set of drivers it better be a major improvement as I'm loving this SIM. This might be 1 driver that I hold one too as a back up if I ever decide on getting one of their newer models when that come out. 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Back with the SIM. This time the Max. Tried to like the Speedzone cuz you know Merica (and the real deal Ventus) but even with a fairly aggressive move the stock 5S Ventus Red in the new USA edition fit me great. 

Edited by Yzmerf

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

Wasn't sure I was going to like this driver (coming from a G410), but made two changes that really brought my Max back to life. As much as I thought the Ventus Blue was the way to go - which looked great on a launch monitor - was sill hitting fades frequently. Since I was playing it at 44.5", I had replaced the stock 16g weight with a 19g to bring the SW back up slightly. Oddly enough, when I played the demo with the non-VeloCore Ventus at the stock length, no issues at all and really liked it.

So on a whim, I put the original Diamana S+ back in (at 45.5") and re-installed the factory weight. With it playing at a D3 at that length, it's been fantastic. No more fades and my baby draw is back. Also have the S+ re-installed in my Ti 3-wood as well, and loving that. As much as I like the Fujkura Speeder HB shafts in my 3H & 4H, just didn't have great luck with the brand in my D & 3. I do think that the head, at least in the Max, is very sensitive to weight changes, and increasing the mass in the back port did make the club more fade biased. Maybe the standard SIM would have worked out, but enjoying the Max again and will keep on doing so.

Not that this is entirely scientific, but drawing a straight line back from the center of the face illustrates that the rear weight is in a bit of a fade-bias position, which probably explained why making it heaver gave me fits. Then again, there could be ribs or part of the structure on the inside that offsets the rear weight, but in any case, the overall lighter head weight really works.

1287142856_SIMMaxCGline.jpg.812c6e0de850a8971160610040b98459.jpg

Edited by Hammer22

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

1 hour ago, Hammer22 said:

Wasn't sure I was going to like this driver (coming from a G410), but made two changes that really brought my Max back to life. As much as I thought the Ventus Blue was the way to go - which looked great on a launch monitor - was sill hitting fades frequently. Since I was playing it at 44.5", I had replaced the stock 16g weight with a 19g to bring the SW back up slightly. Oddly enough, when I played the demo with the non-VeloCore Ventus at the stock length, no issues at all and really liked it.

So on a whim, I put the original Diamana S+ back in (at 45.5") and re-installed the factory weight. With it playing at a D3 at that length, it's been fantastic. No more fades and my baby draw is back. Also have the S+ re-installed in my Ti 3-wood as well, and loving that. As much as I like the Fujkura Speeder HB shafts in my 3H & 4H, just didn't have great luck with the brand in my D & 3. I do think that the head, at least in the Max, is very sensitive to weight changes, and increasing the mass in the back port did make the club more fade biased. Maybe the standard SIM would have worked out, but enjoying the Max again and will keep on doing so.

Not that this is entirely scientific, but drawing a straight line back from the center of the face illustrates that the rear weight is in a bit of a fade-bias position, which probably explained why making it heaver gave me fits. Then again, there could be ribs or part of the structure on the inside that offsets the rear weight, but in any case, the overall lighter head weight really works.

1287142856_SIMMaxCGline.jpg.812c6e0de850a8971160610040b98459.jpg

Thanks for this. The placement of the backweight makes sense for why the SIM Max is fade-bias. Like you mentioned, we don't know if there is anything internally on the heel side that would offset the weight position, but it seems like so many folks on here are having the same issue with the Max being fade-biased. I might experiment with a lighter backweight to see if that reduces the right sided miss. 

• Like 1

My fleeting romance with the Sim Max has ended and I’ve went back (for the time being) to my G400Max. I was getting a two way miss with the Sim Max and found it really unpredictable. In driving range conditions it was long but on the course it just put me in trouble more often than not. 

The Sim Max was good when it was good, but just not reliable and confidence inspiring... for me at least. 

I’m going to try Mavrik and TS3, possibly the 410LST as well. 

G400max really lacks in wind and can spin a lot, which is why I’m on the never ending hunt for something better.

2 hours ago, bogeypro said:

If you want draw bias, get the sim max draw type.   Duhhhh. LOL

But...if you bought the SIM or Max without any preconceived notions about any fade bias, most aren't going to want to spend the coin again (although some lead tape towards the heel would essentially do the same thing). Otherwise, the Max is still a great driver if you have the right shaft and set the head in a position that is beneficial. Mine's a 9°, set at 10.5° which supposedly closes the face 3°. Really looks to be square to my eye, and with the "new" shaft, it's a dead straight bomber. With a 193g head, playing at 45.5", it really feels great. The Ping drivers I had used over the last few years had 205g+ heads, which really made it harder to square up, whereas now it's not an issue.

Edited by Hammer22

Wow. I've been hitting a cut with this club - under control for the most part, but my miss is the cut getting away from me. I hit my 3 wood and hybrid almost dead straight but this Sim Max has some movement, more than I would expect against the ball flight of my other woods. Thought it was just me, and it still very well could be, but the above makes sense. 

Has anyone put lead tape on the heel of the club to try and counteract this slight fade-bias? If so, where did you put it and did it work? I'm thinking this may be my next move. Thinking on the back, between the TaylorMade logo on the heel in the shark-fin shaped black zone? 

Edited by arenapoutine

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

The options as to where lead tape can go are pretty much up to your imagination and needs when it comes to swing weight or shot shape. Before I tried the heavier weight (and even after it arrived) I trimmed a piece of the tape to fit right on the chrome strips - you almost couldn't tell it was there. Once I made my shaft and length change along with the stock weight, I put a small piece right near the heel like you already alluded to. Works fine and made the slight difference of the SW going from D2.5 to D3 which is fine. Since it's not as extreme as the MAX-D as far as placement, I'm fine with it. Easily un-done, too.

20200908_175257.jpg.da96dfb46030e8e3cc9ff894768a0274.jpg

This was my first time around - two pieces trimmed to fit, but way more weight than needed:

20200615_163922.jpg.283d5a906cc88be2c69723ea46d1c2c6.jpg

Edited by Hammer22
  • Like 2