SIM driver guys - talk about it

12 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

I suspect several factors here:

1) seems to be super flat setting in "standard" position on loft sleeve

2) open toe twist face blade and the chalk paint line up seem to promote open face at set up

3) something in another post was mentioned about how the alignment of the Vortex generator heavy weight seems to be fade biased slightly (not true on the MAX D however)

4) we just suck with a steep slightly over the top motion

Thanks. I definitely have some of number 4, but the SIM Max made me feel like i am just incompetent at golf. They say equipment can't make a bad swing better, but it seems like it can make the result worse. SIM line is just not the right fit for me. 

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My jaw is literally on the floor. In my 20+ years around golf, I have never seen a single club make this big of an impact. Hit 12/14 fairways today-(1 was a 3 wood), so 11/13 with the SIM. Just insane

My SIM journey started with the SIM MAX 10.5 in "upright", then went to the SIM MAX D 12 in "lowest", and now I have a SIM 10.5 on order and will probably play at 1 click lower from "upright" position

Regular sim.   I played all year with an extra 4g in the front track. After tournament season finished, I started toying with heavier backweights. Settled on a 17g backweight and only the 10

Posted Images

This driver was a game changer for me and helped me win my club championship. Its firmly in the bag for 2021.

I posted in here before, but used to play a G400 max which was very forgiving but it spun to much (And spun to much left and right). My misses still got out there but if my swing was off I had some high, spinny off the planet misses that put me in bad shape.

I went with the Sim 10.5 turned all the way down and it helped take the right side (Lefty golfer) out of play for me from day one. Essentially a new level of confidence that I could swing away and know where its going.

It might only be a half dozen yards longer for me but the dispersion was night and day. I eliminated one side of the course from my miss groupings and have full confidence I can aim down the edge of the fairway and the ball will curve back.

Awesome club. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello All.. question why would adding more weight make the driver more fade biased.. i was planing to use this to make swingweight and increase smash and forgiveness.. 

Ping G425 9 LST Diamana BF 60 TX
Taylormade SIM MAX 14 Fuji Pro 73X
Taylormade SIM MAX 3H Nippon GOST X
4 - PW Miura TC201 PX LZ 6.5 

Cleveland RTX 4 50, 54, 58 S400 TI

Custom Scotty Phantom 7.5 Stability Shaft
Bridgestone Tour B X 

25 minutes ago, philt90 said:

Hello All.. question why would adding more weight make the driver more fade biased.. i was planing to use this to make swingweight and increase smash and forgiveness.. 

it’s due to how the weight is positioned in relation to the center of the club face. The weight is positioned at 20* angle (think that’s the number if IRC) so any weight adds will be added to the fade basis side of the driver. The only way to add weight and not make it fade basis would be through hot melt. 

30 minutes ago, philt90 said:

The sim rear weight is positioned toe side of center. Adding weight back there increases a toe side center of gravity. Toe side center of gravity = fade bias.

4 minutes ago, zrheisler22 said:

it’s due to how the weight is positioned in relation to the center of the club face. The weight is positioned at 20* angle (think that’s the number if IRC) so any weight adds will be added to the fade basis side of the driver. The only way to add weight and not make it fade basis would be through hot melt. 

You could add weight to the front track and move it to the heel. But that would reduce forgiveness. 

hmmm so why do the pros do it when it looks like they all want more forgiveness and a neutral flight. Cant decide whether to go SIM MAX then and hot melt neutral 9 degree upright one down. I hit the sim pretty straight but want it easier to do. feel like I'm always working to close the face and it means I lose swing speed. 

Bridgestone Tour B X 

2 minutes ago, philt90 said:

hmmm so why do the pros do it when it looks like they all want more forgiveness and a neutral flight. Cant decide whether to go SIM MAX then and hot melt neutral 9 degree upright one down. I hit the sim pretty straight but want it easier to do. feel like I'm always working to close the face and it means I lose swing speed. 

The pros have put a heavier backweight on and then hot melted the driver in the low heel to offset the added toe side weight. 

If you are having a hard time closing the face then bump the driver up in loft. 

• Like 1

cant look at a closed face. I think being upright will help a lot, just whether I go sim max and how I swingweight it heads are usually lighter than SIM 

Bridgestone Tour B X 

18 minutes ago, philt90 said:

cant look at a closed face. I think being upright will help a lot, just whether I go sim max and how I swingweight it heads are usually lighter than SIM 

I thought the same. I'm a fader. Closed face, lined up left of center - I cringe. I was very surprised. My 9.0 is now set to 9.75 and it doesn't appear closed at address AT ALL. 

Remember that face to path affects left/right a lot more than CoG. I decided to close the face after reviewing trackman data that showed I left face open to path more than 1.5 degrees about 60-65% of the time. If you don't have this kind of data then either go get it, or hit 100 drives on the range to see what happens. 

I went to 1.5 closed (one notch to closed on the adapter), heavier backweight (19g total), and front weight slightly toe side of center. This combo produces very straight drives, no hard right misses, and that occasional shot where my path gets a touch in to out - no more low lefters. Those trappy type drives now hold a bit more spin and gently fall left. 

29 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I thought the same. I'm a fader. Closed face, lined up left of center - I cringe. I was very surprised. My 9.0 is now set to 9.75 and it doesn't appear closed at address AT ALL. 

Remember that face to path affects left/right a lot more than CoG. I decided to close the face after reviewing trackman data that showed I left face open to path more than 1.5 degrees about 60-65% of the time. If you don't have this kind of data then either go get it, or hit 100 drives on the range to see what happens. 

I went to 1.5 closed (one notch to closed on the adapter), heavier backweight (19g total), and front weight slightly toe side of center. This combo produces very straight drives, no hard right misses, and that occasional shot where my path gets a touch in to out - no more low lefters. Those trappy type drives now hold a bit more spin and gently fall left. 

Yer i might go neutral and heavier back weight i always think its worth more having weight in the head vs weight in the tip section on the club.. Prob hang some left because im always working to close the face so when i do its a pull 

Bridgestone Tour B X 

15 minutes ago, philt90 said:

Yer i might go neutral and heavier back weight i always think its worth more having weight in the head vs weight in the tip section on the club.. Prob hang some left because im always working to close the face so when i do its a pull 

Heavier backweight could help with that face closure all on its own.  "By the book" more weight back would promote faster rate of closure due to shaft deflection. 

Long story short, don't rule anything out. Go pound balls, play with settings, and see what happens.

I did not envision that I would be in a closed face, fade bias driver. But I am and it's working beautifully. Previous driver was a m5 set lower and in neutral weight setting. The two driver setups are very different but produce about the same accuracy with the same shaft. 

Learn more about CoG placement, face to path, shaft deflection, etc if you want to take some of the guesswork out of it.

4 hours ago, philt90 said:

Does everyone find the max fadey too ??

I did.  I play mine in the upright setting one notch higher (8º->8.75º)

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max 8º (8.75º) w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 65s

Fairway: Taylormade SIM Tour TI (v2) 3w @ 16.4º w/ Diamana TB 70s

Hybrid: Titleist TS3 @ 19º w/ ProjectX Hzrdus Smoke Black 90s

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-6); MB-101 (7-PW) w/ MMT 105TX (ss*1)

Wedges: Artisan Raw @ 51º, 56º, 61º

Putter: Artisan 0117 Deep Milled

I was fitted for my SIM MAX.  My sig pretty much says it all.  I will add details.  Mine plays 9* but is cranked open 2 degrees so it's closer to 8*.  I'm a hooker by nature, and have quick and at times flippy wrists.  Shaft length is 45 inches tipped 1 inch.  D4 swing weight, I believe 5-10 grams of added hotmelt neutral bias.  I like my clubs heavier to begin with, I feel as though I can feel the club head more and lighter sw feel like swinging a chop stick to me.  My ballspeed hovers from 170 to 177 mph, spin 2100 rpm average, and +2 degree AoA and 15-17 degree launch angle.  I have this sucker dialed in to my liking.  I just hope it doesn't crack where the carbon fiber and paint meet at the top of the crown as some of the wrxer's have reported.   

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4i w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

5 hours ago, philt90 said:

Yes, but that plays right  into my hands as my big miss is a nasty quacker.  I pretty much exclusively draw the ball, but with my SIM MAX I find that I can play a baby fade as well which is nice albeit it would be normally 15 to to 20 yards shorter than the draw.   

5 hours ago, philt90 said:

Yep. Definitely. Caused issues for me with my natural fade, I recently moved on. 

Ping G410LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Titleist 818H1, 21 (set to 20), Tensei White Pro 90, S

Ping i210, 4-P (retro spec), DG 120 X

Ping Glide 2.0, 52.12 & 56.12

Callaway Jaws MD5, 60.8

Odyssey Triple Track 10 S, 34" / Odyssey SL1, 33.5"

ProV1 / Z Star XV

6 hours ago, philt90 said:

I naturally play a fade, SIM turned that into a full on slice so I closed mine by raising the loft from 9 --> 9.5 and I've been happy with it since. Occasionally I'll still slice one off the face of the Earth, but that's not on the club, it still looks great at address too.

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM 9.0 - Tensei Orange 60 Stiff

Cobra F8 OL 3 Hybrid - Rogue 75 Stiff

Wilson/Staff V6 Forged 4-PW - TT S300 Stiff

MD5 Jaws - 50°

Cleveland RTX 588 - 54°/58°

Wilson/Staff 8802 Milled Face Putter

I had a nightmare of a time when I first owned Sim. This go around my a Ventus blue velocore 7x it has been a dream. Weight track middle, set upright and one click lower in a 9* head. Long and straight. Can work it both ways. 

Taylormade Sim 9* Ventus Velo Blue 7x 

Taylormade Sim Max 3W Ventus Velo Blue 7x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Miura Tour Issue MC-501 (Low Offset) DG Pro X100

Taylormade MG2 51* SB Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Taylormade MG2 TW 56* + 60* Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Titleist Pro -V1x  or Bridgestone Tour BXS

Ping Hoofer

15 hours ago, philt90 said:

I’ll be the dissenting opinion as I don’t find it fadey 😁.  Just recently purchased a SIM to see if the fade bias is real in that bad boy.

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

FWIW I thought the Max was one of the weirdest drivers I’ve ever hit. Had some bombs with it but also some ball flights I have literally never seen with another driver. Almost like duck hooks but right... just... awful. Anyways... sim is as shaft sensitive as a club could ever be. She’s a fickle beast but a beast she is. 

• Like 1

Ping Hoofer

16 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

FWIW I thought the Max was one of the weirdest drivers I’ve ever hit. Had some bombs with it but also some ball flights I have literally never seen with another driver. Almost like duck hooks but right... just... awful. Anyways... sim is as shaft sensitive as a club could ever be. She’s a fickle beast but a beast she is. 

Yep, the SIM and SIM MAX is def a fickle mistress.  I call mine Ms. Bi-Polar.  I had to cycle through 14 shafts before I finally found one that paired up perfectly.  When I crush one I get 177 mph ball speed, 15 degree launch and 2100 rpm spin and it carries 295+ depending on elevation and wind.  When I hit one like s***, it can hook 50 yards left into the abyss.  Lately my swing has been good so the duck hook isn't seen very often.  I can also hit a 10 yard cut as well with it which is a pleasant surprise.  I have a love/hate relationship with my side dish atm, lol. 

Edited by phizzy30

Decided I’m going to rebuild my club, take the weight out of the tip of the shaft, and add a heavier back weight.. build something between SIM and the MAX. should hopefully give the head a little extra punch to it too 

Bridgestone Tour B X 

On 4/10/2020 at 3:48 PM, QuigleyDU said:

Hi, My name is Quigley and I play a SIM. Haha.

My SIM is a 10.5 set to 9.5 with a KBS TD cat 5 shaft.

I was absolutely crushing this before the shut down. I hope it comes back. I love the shape and color of the head. It is a bit harsher feeling in my mind than other offering but I am ok with that.

How’s the KBS Cat5 shaft? Are you still playing it. I just bought a new SIM tour head 9 deg with a Diamana D limited 70tx. Hopefully getting it next week. 

• Like 1

Almost had a hole in one on a 310

par 4 today. Put it to 6 feet. This driver is magic with the right shaft. 

• Like 2

Ping Hoofer

21 minutes ago, brad1978golf said:

How’s the KBS Cat5 shaft? Are you still playing it. I just bought a new SIM tour head 9 deg with a Diamana D limited 70tx. Hopefully getting it next week. 

I still have it. But it is third in line after the ventus and pro x green tx.

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

54 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Almost had a hole in one on a 310

par 4 today. Put it to 6 feet. This driver is magic with the right shaft. 

Question is did you make that putt for eagle?  🤑

9 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Question is did you make that putt for eagle?  🤑

Easiest birdie I’ve had in a while 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping Hoofer

2 hours ago, brad1978golf said:

Two putt bird ain’t bad either. 

Meh, sim golf doesn't count

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max 8º (8.75º) w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 65s

Fairway: Taylormade SIM Tour TI (v2) 3w @ 16.4º w/ Diamana TB 70s

Hybrid: Titleist TS3 @ 19º w/ ProjectX Hzrdus Smoke Black 90s

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-6); MB-101 (7-PW) w/ MMT 105TX (ss*1)

Wedges: Artisan Raw @ 51º, 56º, 61º

Putter: Artisan 0117 Deep Milled