SIM driver guys - talk about it

6 hours ago, Cruisin1966 said:

Meh, sim golf doesn't count

We still outdoors haha. It was 42 degrees but I don’t care. 

Taylormade Sim 9* Ventus Velo Blue 7x 

Taylormade Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue 110MSI 70x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 19* Veylix Rome 988 90x

Miura MB001/CB57 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist JDM Forged 51F & 56M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM8 60S Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Titleist Pro -V1x  or Bridgestone Tour BXS

Ping Hoofer

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My jaw is literally on the floor. In my 20+ years around golf, I have never seen a single club make this big of an impact. Hit 12/14 fairways today-(1 was a 3 wood), so 11/13 with the SIM. Just insane

My SIM journey started with the SIM MAX 10.5 in "upright", then went to the SIM MAX D 12 in "lowest", and now I have a SIM 10.5 on order and will probably play at 1 click lower from "upright" position

It very well could be the shaft. The sim head is different than the vapor head. The weighting and CoG very well could make that shaft perform differently...

Posted Images

2 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

We still outdoors haha. It was 42 degrees but I don’t care. 

You guys up there have golf courses open?  Nice. My apologies for the comment 

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max 8º (8.75º) w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 65s

Fairway: Taylormade SIM Tour TI (v2) 3w @ 16.4º w/ Diamana TB 70s

Hybrid: Titleist TS3 @ 19º w/ ProjectX Hzrdus Smoke Black 90s

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-6); MB-101 (7-PW) w/ MMT 105TX (ss*1)

Wedges: Artisan Raw @ 51º, 56º, 61º

Putter: Artisan 0117 Deep Milled

21 hours ago, philt90 said:

Anyone give any feedback on higher back weights.. anyone done it then changed back 

I have tried the 19g back and also the 18g front weight.  Played with 2 different settings several rounds before I decided to stick with the heavier front weight.  I also tried with both heavier weights at front and back and it's just too heavy.

TM Sim 10.5, VA Rajjin 64S
Titleist 16.5 TS2, GD AD TP 6S
Callaway Mavrik 5 Hybrid Project X Cataylst 70 6.0
Callaway Mavrik 3 Hybrid Project X Cataylst 70 6.0
Callaway Epic Forge, Steelfiber 90S
Miura Tour Wedge 54, Steelfiber 115cw S
TM MG2 58, KBS.

Scotty Cameron Big Sur Long Putter.

Snell MTB X.

5 hours ago, shaolingolfer said:

I have tried the 19g back and also the 18g front weight.  Played with 2 different settings several rounds before I decided to stick with the heavier front weight.  I also tried with both heavier weights at front and back and it's just too heavy.

You must really really like low spin wow 18 gram front weight.. knuckler 

what did you find with the heavy back weight 

4 hours ago, philt90 said:

You must really really like low spin wow 18 gram front weight.. knuckler 

what did you find with the heavy back weight 

Fortunately no knuckler ball for me.  I really thought I will like the heavy back weight more also but somehow the heavy front weight work for me, maybe is my positive AOA, my shaft or whatever.  Going in for gap fitting next week and going to get better data on GC quad with my ball of choice.  

TM Sim 10.5, VA Rajjin 64S
Titleist 16.5 TS2, GD AD TP 6S
Callaway Mavrik 5 Hybrid Project X Cataylst 70 6.0
Callaway Mavrik 3 Hybrid Project X Cataylst 70 6.0
Callaway Epic Forge, Steelfiber 90S
Miura Tour Wedge 54, Steelfiber 115cw S
TM MG2 58, KBS.

Scotty Cameron Big Sur Long Putter.

Snell MTB X.

My SIM Max D experiment is working out perfectly. To review, the SIM Max 10.5 in upright was just a cut monster no matter what and coming from a M4 that was a baby draw or straight ball, I was pretty frustrated for weeks. Went from a TZ6 to my go to Fuji Speeder TR...nothing but cuts and the occasional straight then right shot.

Had my fitter order me the D 12 degree head, paired with the TR, spun to “open” on the loft sleeve with a little neutral hot melt to get SW up (playing it at my standard 44.5”) and counter the built in draw weighting. We are on week 10 and my normal straight ball has been very consistent and perfect. Sharing this for anyone not sure about Sim or Max due to the left to right ball flight, the D is nice and the added face height area doesn’t suck at set up and on the occasional off center strike. Easily the best driver I’ve owned. 

• Like 1

TAYLORMADE SIM MAX D/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661S/ GP TW WHT

MIZUNO CLK 16*/Nippon Modus Tour 130S/ GP TW WHT

MIZUNO JPX921 FliHi 20*/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ GP TW BLK

MIZUNO JPX921 Forged 4-PW/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MIZUNO T20 Blue Ion 47/07/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MIZUNO T20 Satin 50/07/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT 

MIZUNO T20 Raw 56/06/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MACHINE 1018 M2A RAW CS/ PL shaft/ SS Flatso CC 2.0 BLK

MIZUNO TOUR STAND BAG 14 way BLK/GRY 

6 hours ago, evoviiiyou said:

My SIM Max D experiment is working out perfectly. To review, the SIM Max 10.5 in upright was just a cut monster no matter what and coming from a M4 that was a baby draw or straight ball, I was pretty frustrated for weeks. Went from a TZ6 to my go to Fuji Speeder TR...nothing but cuts and the occasional straight then right shot.

Had my fitter order me the D 12 degree head, paired with the TR, spun to “open” on the loft sleeve with a little neutral hot melt to get SW up (playing it at my standard 44.5”) and counter the built in draw weighting. We are on week 10 and my normal straight ball has been very consistent and perfect. Sharing this for anyone not sure about Sim or Max due to the left to right ball flight, the D is nice and the added face height area doesn’t suck at set up and on the occasional off center strike. Easily the best driver I’ve owned. 

I came from an M4 as well.  I find my SIM MAX to be more fade biased for sure which isn't a bad thing.  The crazy quacker is rarely seen days.  My golf buddies don't call me "hooker" anymore, haha.  My misses now are mostly fades now which are much more manageable.  I find myself aiming more left than I used to which is a very strange feeling and a work in progress.   

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4-PW w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+

58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Newport 1

Snell MTB-X

8 minutes ago, philt90 said:

What shafts are people playing in there SIMs, what are people finding is working 

Ventus Blue Velo 7x is magic for me

Taylormade Sim 9* Ventus Velo Blue 7x 

Taylormade Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue 110MSI 70x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 19* Veylix Rome 988 90x

Miura MB001/CB57 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist JDM Forged 51F & 56M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM8 60S Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Titleist Pro -V1x  or Bridgestone Tour BXS

Ping Hoofer

21 minutes ago, philt90 said:

What shafts are people playing in there SIMs, what are people finding is working 

Ventus Black 7x tipped an inch. 

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4-PW w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+

58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Newport 1

Snell MTB-X

So, I’m a bit of a dinosaur.  Still playing a 2017 M1. But it cracked on me last week. TM is replacing it with a Sim (awesome of them). 

In reading through this thread, it appears there is quite a bit of difference in the Sim, lots of talk about changing and adding weights. I basically set the weights on my M1 once and never moved them again. It looks like lots of different adaptor settings as well. I guess this would a good time to ask if the adaptor from my M1 will even work in the Sim. 

Any thoughts or advice for someone who is a bit outdated on the new technology would be greatly appreciated. 

41 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

So, I’m a bit of a dinosaur.  Still playing a 2017 M1. But it cracked on me last week. TM is replacing it with a Sim (awesome of them). 

In reading through this thread, it appears there is quite a bit of difference in the Sim, lots of talk about changing and adding weights. I basically set the weights on my M1 once and never moved them again. It looks like lots of different adaptor settings as well. I guess this would a good time to ask if the adaptor from my M1 will even work in the Sim. 

Any thoughts or advice for someone who is a bit outdated on the new technology would be greatly appreciated. 

Yes your adapter will work no problem. and its just getting the most out of the club I played mine all last year and was really happy iv been adding speed and want to experiment a little with what iv got maybe eliminate bad shots gain the correct ball speed etc 

30 minutes ago, philt90 said:

Yes your adapter will work no problem. and its just getting the most out of the club I played mine all last year and was really happy iv been adding speed and want to experiment a little with what iv got maybe eliminate bad shots gain the correct ball speed etc 

Cool, thanks Phil. At least that is one less issue I’ll have to worry about. 

9 hours ago, evoviiiyou said:

What's the D head like for spin compared to the standard sim. I like the idea of a deeper face, although i did manage ok with the std Sim at first. I've moved on now but wondering if i exhausted everything. When i first got a Sim, it blew my Epic flash sub zero triple D out of the water, but after trying everything i could never reproduce those shots, even when i weny back to the original setting. I tried lead on the back, 2 weights up front with no backweight, upright, loft up and down, just could'nt get it back. Always wonder though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Malc said:

What's the D head like for spin compared to the standard sim. I like the idea of a deeper face, although i did manage ok with the std Sim at first. I've moved on now but wondering if i exhausted everything. When i first got a Sim, it blew my Epic flash sub zero triple D out of the water, but after trying everything i could never reproduce those shots, even when i weny back to the original setting. I tried lead on the back, 2 weights up front with no backweight, upright, loft up and down, just could'nt get it back. Always wonder though.

I never hit the SIM on launch monitor, but my spin numbers with the D  average on flight scope were at 2550 with the Speeder TR 661S shaft at 44.5 in my fitting. Pretty close to optimal for my 108ss with driver. 

1 hour ago, Brofessor said:

Very useful thread! I'm seeing quite a few comments about the SIM being fade biased. Would you guys recommend the SIM MAX -D  over the SIM for someone struggling with a slice due to an over the top swing? I know I need to correct my swing path, but just looking to find as many fairways I can while doing so. Thanks!

No question in my mind will aid you

I've tried more shafts in the SIM head than any other driver i've ever had. once you land on the RIGHT one though its fantastic. This may be the most finicky head i've ever used when it comes to shaft pairing. Ive gone through:

HZRDUS Black 62X

HZRDUS Black 75X

ATMOS Black 8TX tipped 1"

HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X

Diamana Ahina 60X

And finally landed on ProForce V2 Black 60x Tipped 1".

I have hit some absolute nukes with this setup and has been in play more than any driver ive ever used. GPS measured one a couple weeks back Playing Equinox course in VT. The ball plugged on landing in these soft, Pre-winter conditions and it was 310yds on the fly. Needless to say, I wont be changing my driver setup for quite a while.

• Like 1

TaylorMade SiM 7.5* ProForce V2 Black 60X Tipped 1"
TaylorMade SiM 3w 12.5* Diamana D+ 80X
TaylorMade SiM 5w 17* Diamana D+ 80TX
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-6, MMC 7-9, MB PW - DG TI 120 X100's
Callaway MD5 JAWS 49* 54*, 59* S-Grinds - DG TI S400 Onyx
Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

12 hours ago, evoviiiyou said:

I did something similar.  I got a 10.5 Max D and opened it up as much as it would go and then added 9 grams of those tungsten weight stick on cubes to the toe side.  I can now work it either way, but predominant flight is slight draw.  10 yards longer than my M5 with same 44" Copperhead Tx70, very solid.

• Like 1