SIM driver guys - talk about it

For those that are ordering this driver shorter, have y'all weighed the heads? I like my driver to be in the 204g range without the adapter and a 45" length, so I'm probably going to have to order an M5 weight to bring it up. I don't want to add Hotmelt and void the warranty on a new club. I'll be order a 10.5* SIM with the new 60g Rogue Silver shaft. I currently have a 9.5* M3 with some hotmelt in it at 45".

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM set 1 click lower with Diamana D+ x5ct 70s or Diamana S Limited 60s

FW Woods:  Tour Edge 18* with Nunchuk @ 42" (Swap out with the 15* Adams XTD Super Hybrid)  

Hybrids: 15* Adams XTD Super Hybrid Fubuki Hybrid shaft, 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid UTS Proforce VTS 100s, 23* Adams Super 9031 dgs300
Irons: 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro Modus 125s
Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Vokey SM6 F Grind, RTX 4 52* bent to 53* Mid, Zipcore 56* Raw bent to 58*. All wedges have DGTI S400
Putter: Toulon Las Vegas or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My jaw is literally on the floor. In my 20+ years around golf, I have never seen a single club make this big of an impact. Hit 12/14 fairways today-(1 was a 3 wood), so 11/13 with the SIM. Just insane

SIM 9.0 with an Xcaliber RT shaft. Best combination in overall consistency and diatance ive played in a long time. Plus I love the feel.

I played the M5 can say the SIM is better overall for me. Sound/feel are identical to me, but I feel the SIM is just slightly more consistent. Having said that the M5 is still a phenomenal driver.

Posted Images

When my swing is proper, fade. But as things break down a bit I slower creep back into draw territory. Generally the fade is preferred and it's really just a straight ball that bleeds off a little bit. As time goes on between lessons, form breaks down a bit... My body tends to stall a bit, I get a bit pully with the handle and the club path gets much more in to out and that's when the bigger toe misses come in. That's when I have my really bad days.

• Like 1

SIM Max 9* | Ventus Black 6x

SIM Ti 19* | Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Cobra Speedzone 18.5* | Accra FX 2.0 380M5

Titleist 818H1 | Ventus blue 10x

i210 5-PW | X100 Tour Issue 1xSS

Ping Glide 3.0 50/12, 54/12 | S400 Tour Issue

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60/10 | S400 Tour Issue Onyx

Cleveland SOFT Premier #4 (Compass Golf Co. Custom Atwood incoming!!)

ProV1x

I would agree. Start with the Max and go from there.

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Wrote some lengthy reviews about getting fit at The Kingdom for the M5 Tour and absolutely loved it. Best driver I've had and the SIM beat it out in the first 9 holes of the year. Living in the Midwest I've gotten out 3 times now and I typically struggle to bring spin down. I have gotten it down to 2200 range and have picked up another couple yards and brought my flight down a touch. I have a tendency to hit some moon balls. Great feel and forgiveness as well coming from the M5 Tour.

TaylorMade SIM 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5
TaylorMade P770 3-5 Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 6-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 52 & 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade MySpider X Black
Taylormade TP5

I'm aware the M5 weights fit into the SIM head on the front track. I read that in one of the SIM threads, but I'm having a hard time finding the specific posts (supposed to be working from home, and this forum is more interesting to me at the moment). I'm probably better off ordering the club, and weighing the head after I receive it. It'll be easier to buy 1 weight that I need instead of guessing wrong and ordering another one because of it.

What weight did you go with in your SIM?

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM set 1 click lower with Diamana D+ x5ct 70s or Diamana S Limited 60s

FW Woods:  Tour Edge 18* with Nunchuk @ 42" (Swap out with the 15* Adams XTD Super Hybrid)  

Hybrids: 15* Adams XTD Super Hybrid Fubuki Hybrid shaft, 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid UTS Proforce VTS 100s, 23* Adams Super 9031 dgs300
Irons: 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro Modus 125s
Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Vokey SM6 F Grind, RTX 4 52* bent to 53* Mid, Zipcore 56* Raw bent to 58*. All wedges have DGTI S400
Putter: Toulon Las Vegas or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

Yeah, I've never seen a driver head with this much fluctuation depending on the shaft. Max was at 3K-3200 at first; SIM was 2800, found the right shaft & couldn't get it up over 1900 and it'd fall out of the sky like a rock. Put the Max head back on & it was perfect. I'm tempted to drop the loft to 8.5 to see what happens...

Cool thanks, we'll see how that goes then.

SIM Max 9* | Ventus Black 6x

SIM Ti 19* | Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Cobra Speedzone 18.5* | Accra FX 2.0 380M5

Titleist 818H1 | Ventus blue 10x

i210 5-PW | X100 Tour Issue 1xSS

Ping Glide 3.0 50/12, 54/12 | S400 Tour Issue

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60/10 | S400 Tour Issue Onyx

Cleveland SOFT Premier #4 (Compass Golf Co. Custom Atwood incoming!!)

ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...

I love golf club honeymoons, just hoping this one is the real deal. 2nd round with the SIM completed last weekend and figured I'd come back with some input. Keep in mind that all driving ranges here are currently closed down, so I've had zero practice time with this club, but I'm a real big fan of what I've seen so far. This past weekend brought my old draw back a little bit, as I expected would come back as the year progressed. On two holes I tried to get cute and hit a fade and instead double crossed myself as my muscle memory proved I know better than to try that. Other than those two shots and 1 simply awful swing it was small draws all day with a beautiful mid to high trajectory I was used to with the previous M5, but no upshoot into the wind and clearly less spin. I hit two tee shots off center, one way off the high toe and one somewhere else, and they found the fairway or slightly off. One shorter par 4 that I've never come close to I flew to the front edge and bounded through. Keep in mind that was downwind but probably a 25-50 yard difference from where I normally end up. If you're like me and enjoyed the M5 but felt you weren't quite getting everything out of it, this is worth a look.

• Like 1

Same, 10.5. I’m generally a lower ball hitter. I could probably get away with a 9* in this setup and gain some roll, but I like the added control 10.5 gives and a higher flight I’ve been after for a bit.

• Like 1

Any input on this question?

PXG 0811X+ Proto GD AD TP 5S
TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
PXG Gen2 0317x 19* Fuji Pro 83s
PXG 0211 4 Modus 120S

PXG Gen3 0311T 5-GW Modus 120S
TM MG2 54*
TM HT 60*
TM MySpider X

I’m gaming the Sim Max 10.5* , 44.5”. I have it set up flat opened up so it’s 9.75* with a GD IZ 6s. Last two rounds I went 26 of 28 fairways. This is the best feeling, sounding, and forgiving TM driver ever imo. When I do miss a fairway it’s within feet of the fairway.

• Like 1
Sim Max 9.75* GD IZ 6s
TS 17* 

SM8 52F-56D-60M
Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto ([b][color=#FF0000]Oven[/color][/b])
Nike 006 Rory Proto ([b][color=#FF0000]Oven[/color][/b])
TP5x Pix

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Can anyone compare this to the standard Mavrik? I currently have the Mavrik which I hit ok. I have the 9 degree head turned down to 8 and still hit it too high. I hit it a decent distance but feel like I may be losing yards especially into the wind.

i put my 3 wood shaft into my Sim head and added a extra 12g weight to the track and have not looked back. I actually swing my 3 wood within 1-2 mph of my driver so i thought this would be a fun experiment, i was worried that the extra weight all in the from of the face would be an issue, but it has not. I have lost a touch of forgiveness from weight placement but i have gained a ton of consistency by having the driver at 43.5" Its a easy experiment if you happen to have both TM Sim Driver and a TM 3 wd

This thread got me wanting to try different stuff, so I ordered a SIM 10.5 with VA Nemesys 65 X at 45" to try against my PXG.

PXG 0811X Gen 2 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X or

TM SIM 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* - Aldila NV Green 75X
PXG 0317X Gen 2 17* - Aldila NV Green 85X
PXG 0317X Gen 2 22* - Aldila NV Green 85X
PXG 0311P Gen 2 5-AW - Project X 6.5
PXG 0311T "Sugar Daddy" Black 54* - Project X 6.0
PXG 0311T "Sugar Daddy" Black 58* - Project X 6.0
PXG Mini Gunboat

Tried the Sim against my G410 LST and was totally not impressed. Have the Ventus Blue 6X in my Ping driver (the real VeloCore version), and got a Sim to demo with the non-VeloCore Blue 6X. Both the same length and even identical swing weight. Consistently about 10 yards longer with Ping and couldn't stop hitting a baby fade with the Sim which I hated (probably had something to do with the shaft to be fair). The feel of the Sim was also awful - hard as a rock. Glad to have tried it out of curiosity, but once again, another one not beating out Ping.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

Recently switched from an M5 9.0 (set to Higher) to a new Sim 8.0 (Set to higher) and I have to say I really enjoy this driver. I never felt that the M5 was hot or forgiving, but the Sim seems to do really well even on miss hits. Right now its hitting really nice cuts and going a lot further than the M5 was.

I have a Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X and swing peaks around 120mph, try to keep it around 110mph though.

TaylorMade SIM 460 8° - Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X
TaylorMade SIM 3w 15° - Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8X
TaylorMade SIM 5w 19° - Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8X
PXG Gen 2. 0311P 4-PW - DG X100 Tour Issue
Taylormade Milled Grind 2 50°/09° - DG X100 Tour Issue
Taylormade Milled Grind 2 54°/11° - DG X100 Tour Issue
Taylormade MyHi-Toe 60°/10° - DG S400 TourIssue
Taylormade Spider X - Navy

bfd3672d-0a9f-4648-83f8-9b6bfc6ccb0b.pngThis is the best combo for me. I love the Tpt shafts. I have 2 15’s that are both set up a little differently for the SIM...length, tourque mainly... both are excellent. I tried the stiff and extra stiff Diamana limited 60 shafts in the SIM and it didn’t really work for me. Really couldn’t tell much of a difference in the 2.

I have only played one round with my "new to me" SIM and this was my feeling as well. Granted, I put in a shaft from my 2016 M2 which plays shorter in the SIM so I want to see what happens when I get the driver back to 45" opposed to 44.5". To be honest, I was hitting the LST almost perfectly but felt I could drop a few hundred RPM's of spin which is why I went with the SIM. Always chasing a few more yards for some dumb reason.

I also missed right often with the SIM but that could be a length thing. I liked the feel out of the center but mishits were brutal. There's a good chance I'm going back to my G410 LST.

Sim Max (TSi3 On Order) TS3 3 Wood | 915H 2 | 718 T-MB 3, T100 4-PW | Vokey SM6 52, SM7 58 | Byron DH89 LongNeck

guys --

for those of you in the higher swing speeds (between 117-125) -- could you compare this head to the Epic Flash SZ, or M3? how is the launch in this head -- ie does it tend to launch a bit higher/lower than normal for the stated loft? i have a shaft that i LOVE --however it tends to launch into a higher window than i was hitting before so i've had to loft my drivers as low as i can get basically - finally found a honey-spot in my M3 with it set to -2* from measured loft (10.1* lofted down to 8.1*).

thanks in advance,

Gio

SIM / 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / RIPx 65TX tipped 2" playing 44.25" Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2" SIM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now) Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

Gio - I'm not a 117 guy. I tested sim at 108-110 and hit the ef sz triple diamond. I saw very similar numbers between both. IIRC, I saw avg of 1-1.5 higher launch with sim with slightly lower spin. Saw slightly higher ballspeed with ef sz (less than 2mph).

Gioguy21 I gamed the EFSZ all last season played it with the HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5TX(as soon as it came out). I was very happy with the EFSZ ball flight. I played the weight in the full fade setting, 10.5* either at standard loft or -1*. My miss is Toe side of center and results in a ball that turns right to left(I'm RH) way too hard- thats the miss that gets me in trouble. A solid shot is a draw, I can't fade a driver for the life of me.

The SIM is different in so many ways, 10.5* with Taylormade HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5 tipped 1/2". It took 3-4 rounds just to get the feel for contact- to me its totally different off the face than the EFSZ. Much more muted and "wood" like on contact- almost like a wooden bat vs aluminum or composite, just totally different feel. It sets up with a different look, a larger footprint with a smaller shallower face. Like the EFSZ I play this with the weight all the way in the fade setting. The loft is a different story. I find the vertical launch to be pretty inconsistent(which I know is just contact) but the difference in launch between a perfect shot and one that might be a groove or so high is much larger than what I see on the EFSZ. I play 1-2 notches towards the low setting, standard to standard I launch the SIM a little higher on solid shots than I do the EFSZ. High of center contact the ballspeed drops 3-4mph but the spin rates fall significantly with the increased launch angle so the distance has been consistent. The biggest plus I have for the SIM is the Twistface, it REALLY seems to cover my toe miss and keep me in play I've been hitting way more fairways than I have in the past.

When ranges open up here and I can get out I still need to play with the Mavrik SZ. I only hit it one round on the course and it was longer than the SIM, but I didn't get to tune it up and at the time it was less consistent than the SIM.

• Like 1

IG: instagram.com/launchedgolf

SIM 10.5* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5TX(Hulk) 

G410 LST Smoke Green 80TX 
Tour Edge EXS Pro 20* Tensi Silver X or  Ti-Utility #3 HZRDUS Smoke Black X
RSI TP 23* PX LZ Black 6.5
Apex Pro 19 Dot PX LZ 6.5 5-PW
Mack Daddy 4 52W

Jaws Raw 56/12X,  60/8T
Stroke Lab Black Ten Slant