Back to the well again, TA5s

brew4eagle

I think this is the 4th time I've had a set of these TA5s. Couldn't pass on this excellent condition set. Only bummer is they are +1/2 or 3/4" so I'll have to get some work done to them. They're a bit slimmer than I recall, maybe it's because I had AP1s not too long ago. Any TA5 users still out there? Hoping they're as easy to hit as I remember.

C99IN2IP8YNL.jpg

45GY7YKEYJWY.jpg

YRMQWNBK2MXN.jpg

GND5FD4WFKI8.jpg

0OTENABO7T12.jpg

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 PNT 19*

Maltby DBM Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Those are beautiful. I bought a set of gold backs in 1999 and like most, have gone back to them several times over the years. Every other set I bought since has been harder to hit. TM Burner 1.0's were probably the best of the rest.

The hardest part of switching is having to reset the yardages in my brain since TA5's use traditional lofts.

Stellar set. Hard to believe they weren't refinished. The glory days of Cleveland irons. I was always partial to the TA2's myself.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I had a set of those back in the day. So easy to hit high shots, and so forgiving.

The picture of the face of your iron, what’s up with the grooves? They look serrated. Is it the lighting or something?

Titleist TS2 9*
Titleist TS2 16.5*

Titleist TS2 21*

Vokey SM7 56M

Odyssey White Hot #2

Thanks! Doing some work on them now. Cutting down 0.5", fresh Tour Velvet 360s, removing shaft bands, and overall cleaning with wd40. They look nearly new. Now just need to tee them up somewhere.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 PNT 19*

Maltby DBM Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Late night ebay browsing. They look to have been used for 2 or 3 rounds tops. All in with new grips I'm under $250. A little more than most TA5 sets out there, but worth it for the condition as the gunmetal sets in particular can be in pretty rough shape if not taken care of over the years. It's also quite rare to find the D wedge in the gunmetal set. Back in the day that club sold for over $100 when people were trying to match up their sets.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 PNT 19*

Maltby DBM Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Like another poster in this thread, I had several versions of these, TA3, TA5, TA7, and even a few more sets of Cleveland irons. The gunmetals were always my favorite, and I probably liked the TA7 the most, but the TA5s were just so easy to hit. Hard to find the gunmetal in that kind of condition. Have fun with those!

Callaway Epic Speed Driver
TEE EXS 220 3 Wood, 2H
Taylormade P790 4-AW
Cleveland RTX4 54, 60
Seemore RST Si2

Have a friend who swore by the TA5s years ago. Just loved them, he switched to them from an iron he swore he'd use forever.

Looked them up in Golfworks club data, never realized just how low a CG they have. It's really quite low. No wonder so many people like them, both then and now...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

Yep, I think the low profile head and crazy low cog make them so easy. Yet they have progressive offset and look pretty slim from address vs something like a G series iron for example. They really are a great blend of i and G series type irons. The raw heads and sensicore inserts also make them very soft feeling for a cast head. Hope to get them out this week to see if they launch as high and easy as I remember. Then I'll start playing well again so I can think I can play a thinner, forged cb and then sell the TA5s again. I'm an idiot.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 PNT 19*

Maltby DBM Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Great set of sticks! That was probably our #1 selling iron model when I was working at a mom and pop retailer around 2000. $500 with Rifle shafts versus $700 for X12's/X14's. Super forgiving and great feel. Now find yourself a 588 SW and some Quadpro fairway woods.

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus Black 7X                                         Taylor Made Original One 13.5* Aldila ATX 75X

Titleist TSi3 16.5* Rogue Silver 80TX                                      Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TS3 20* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist T-MB 4, 5 Recoil Proto 110 F5                                      Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Honma TR20V 6-11 Recoil Proto 125 F5                                  Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* Recoil Wedge Proto F5                       Ping Vault Anser 2

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Taylor Made Spider FCG L-Neck

That gunmetal finish looks incredible... I had a set of TA-3's back in the day. I had no business using them but they looked good

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Irons (5-PW): Srixon 765 w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 120

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Black, 60º Hand Ground Tour Issue Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277