Replacing a 2016 M2

Club head is starting to crack on the crown. Not sure what to replace it with. Obviously I can go get a newer conditioned same head, but thought I might see what else is out there.

Anyone replace a 2016 M2 lately? Or find something else they loved more? Was thinking Callaway Rogue, but not sure if the sub zero or regular is more comparable.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SIM...try it

Ping. Never played Ping driver before... they are incredibly solid drivers. If the crown doesn’t put you off, I’d say you give them a whack. G400 and 410 lines are all can’t miss product.

If you can find a G400 Max at a great deal, can't miss with that one. G410s are a sweet stick too.

SiM Max head would be the way to go id tend to believe

TaylorMade SiM 6.5* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black 60X Tipped 3/4"
TaylorMade SiM 3w 12.5* Kurokage DC 70TX Tipped 1"
TaylorMade SiM 5w 17* Diamana D+ 80TX Tipped 1"
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-6, MMC 7-9, MB PW - DG TI 120 X100's
Mizuno T20 Raw 49* 54*,  TaylorMade MG2 TW-Grind 59*  DG TI S400's
Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

i went through several trials when i replaced my 16 M2:

G400 Max - like everyone says, super forgiving, you can hit it almost anywhere on the face. i felt like i really had to get after it to get the same ball speed #s as other drivers.

F9 - liked it okay. nothing bad to say but nothing made me love the club either.

M5 - loved the feel of the club and was instantly comfortable. made it an easy decision.

Big shoes to fill even today. Everything is pretty much neck and neck performance-wise, it will depend more on what you like the look of, which head design works best for your swing, and which set of adjustments you prefer. The best answer as always is to go get fit (subject to the current limitations with doing so).

Taylormade SIM 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Titleist TS2 16.5* - Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 72x
Adams MB2 Raw Tour Issue 4-PW - KBS CTaper 120
Bridgestone J15 50.08 - DG Tour Issue S400
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54.09 - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Milspec 350
Bridgestone Tour B XS

There is the 2017 M2 Which can be found new at some of the big box stores, or you could always put the search on for another 2016 version.

I didn’t notice much difference in performance between the 16 and 17 versions. Just prefer the look, feel, and sound of the 16.

You can always post in the WTB for another 16 model

Taylormade SIM Max 9.0 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60

Titleist TS3 15 w/PX Evenflow Blue 75

Titleist 818 H2 19 w/Evenflow Blue 85

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW Pro Modus 120

Titleist Vokey SM8  50-54-58 

Odyssey Protype iX #1 34"

Same thing happened to me last year before a tournament. My sincerest Condolences as the 16' M2 is my favorite. I went with the M5 and got fit for it. I still like it more than any of this years offerings except for the Cobra Speedzone. I think Cobra made a great driver but I'll never switch as all my fitted shaft/head combos are for Taylormade. Strongly recommend M5>Sim.

Plus... cheaper

Make sure to call Taylormade before buying something else...they may replace with a M5/M6 head for free

Ping G400 Max 9*// Diamana ‘ahina 70S
Callaway Super Hybrid 17* // Tensei Pro Orange 80S
Ping G25 Hybrid 20* // TFC 189F S
Mizuno 919 Forged 4-GW // KBS Tour V 110S
Ping Glide 3.0 56.14* WS / SM7 Raw 60.04* // S200
Black Lab BL-1 // Mid Slim 2.0

Just messaged OP about this. My 2016 M2 3W recently cracked and they sent me a Sim Max. Definitely appreciated and makes me want to stick with TM products. Give them a call OP.

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 - Diamana D+ 70x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM Max 15 - GD ADVR 7x

hybrid: Taylormade Sim Max Hybrid 19 - Tensei Pro White 90x

irons (4-pw): Ping iBlade - Project X rifle 6.5 +1"

wedges (50,55,60): Vokey Sm7 - Project X rifle 6.5 +1"

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 36"

Ball: Z star XV

Agree with all three of you calling for me to contact customer service, my backup driver broke on the range today (stopped hitting range balls with my M2, guess that is validated now).

The top line where the crown meets the clubface is buckling on my M2 (to the point you can feel it) so I am not sure what the solve is. Its not a visible crack but you can see/feel the paint is raised.

I went from a 16 m2 to a 400lst

Ping G400 Max Fuji Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x 

Cally Apex '16 3h 20* KK Silver 80x

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* KK Silver 80x

Srixon ZX7 5i  AD DI di 95x 

Srixon ZX7 6 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD M 56* & 60*, SM2 64.07

Scotty GoLo 7

TM has always been awesome to me with their warranty. They’ve always covered 2 years as far as I knew, but if others here are still getting replacements for 2016 clubs it’s definitely worth a shot.

Taylormade SIM 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Titleist TS2 16.5* - Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 72x
Adams MB2 Raw Tour Issue 4-PW - KBS CTaper 120
Bridgestone J15 50.08 - DG Tour Issue S400
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54.09 - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Milspec 350
Bridgestone Tour B XS

In my opinion I would say the SIM is the best TM driver since the 2016 M2.

I have never been a fan of TM, but this year I have put the SIM in my bag as it beat every other driver for me, much to the amusement of my playing partners who have heard me curse about TM for far too long!

Driver = Taylormade SIM 8* Hzrdus green 6.0

1 iron = Titleist U510 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
Irons = Wilson Staff FG59,  4-PW
Wedges = Bettinardi HLX 3.0 52*

Taylormade 56* and 60* MG2

Putter =Ping ZB3

Ball = Mizuno RB Tour

Another vote for Ping.

Six months ago my 2016 M2 started developing three, connected hairline cracks in the white paint on the crown. I sold it before it got worse and tested everything.

It came down to TS3 and a G410 LST. I like to striker driver high-toe to lower spin and turn it over, so being able to position the weight in the toe of those two heads could well have been a big part in them being the top two for me.

The LST retained ballspeed better off-centre and also seemed to keep spin down better off-centre. Also preferred the look behind the ball which was a bonus.

Never had a Ping driver before and I absolutely love it. It is the best driver I've ever owned. It's just really long and really, really straight. It's fast but comes with so much stability.

To me, nothing will ever sound as good as the 2016 M2, but the LST isn't too bad in that department - while the performance was a clear upgrade.

Ping G410 LST 9*, Tour AD-IZ 6s
TaylorMade M5, 15*, AD-DI 7s
Titleist 818, 19*, AD-DI 85s
Titleist 818, 23*, AD-DI 85s
Titleist T100, 5-9, AMT S300
Vokey SM8 Raw, 46*, S300
Vokey SM7 Raw, 50*, S300
Vokey WedgeWorks K, 54*, S300
Vokey SM7 Raw, 58K, S300
Odyssey O-Works Black 3T

I will also add the Ping G LST, probably can get an amazing deal with a great shaft already in it...

Ping G400 LS Tec 8.5*, Rogue Silver 125 MSI, Tour S, 44.25"
Ping G410 14.5*, Stock Alta S Flex, 43"
Callaway Apex Hybrid 18*, GD Tour AD-DI 85S
Callaway Apex X Muscleback 4-P, DG Tour Issue shafts
Callaway X Forged 52, 56, 60-DG Tour Issue shafts
Odyssey #7 stroke lab, 34" oversize grip
Bridgestone Tour XS (Tiger Edition) and new Pro V1

I picked up a Ping 400Max at the end of 2019 as a backup to my M2. I only have a few rounds with the Ping but the results are very similar to what other people have said in this forum. It’s a really straight driver that just plain works. I just bought the Ping Tour UST shaft to try out but haven’t played with it yet. My M2 has been hit thousands of times and I am just trying to protect it from getting cracked at this point.

Ping 400 Max

M2 15 degrees

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Ping Anser Sigma 2

I played the 2016 M2 last season... awesome driver. Just picked up a sim head for a great deal but haven’t hit it yet. Keeping the m2 as a back up and won’t hesitate to play it if things don’t work out with the sim.

The thing that sold me on the sim was the marked improvement in ball/swing speed in the sim over the m5 that has been documented.