2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Joined a Dog Track

Save the water for my scotch and put a little less on my firm fairways....I always say! Enjoy yourselves and golf your ball wherever you and your wife have the most fun. Save a few bucks and take her out to dinner more often. I know that would make my wife happy.

• Like 1

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

I would kill for this kind of deal. Here in Switzerland, even the not so great courses have pretty high membership fees. Starting at 2500 a season for a really mediocre track.

Enjoy it!

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

Best thing that ever happened to me was when they closed my old track. I was sad at the time. Joined across the street which I knew every one there the owners and all. It is sorta a borderline Goat Track but I love it. Fantastic Layout the is compatible to both regular and vintage play. Reminds me of the muni type courses I grew up on. Love the local flavor and the way I am treated over there. Fantastic staff and people that play there. I was over there briefly in 08 when my home course ticked me off. I have had so much fun since I joined there in December. I told my bud the GM / Pro / Co Owner I wished I had stayed when I was there in 08. Being a member fantastic rates and they have the best grill room / golf course kitchen on the beach. And actually before this virus thing it was the type of place people hung out and shot the breeze either inside or on the patio. Like I told my GM bud the other day for me it ain't about the fancy frills and gimmicks it is all about the general atmosphere there. Since I have retired I have played a whole lot there and love every minute of it

• Like 4

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

LOL those boys I play with tried to tangle me in a Round Robin web of course not a lot of money $2. Had to play my butt off to win. We were playing 3 segments but I was on the winning team 2 out of 3 so not too bad.

• Like 2

What is funny these guys are the regular members of my shoot out team------ But it is all in fun ---- Lately no one has been showing up for the Dog Fight as we call it so I guess so to speak I guess we are fighting among our selves---- On the Dog fight days we go around making small bets among some teams. The ones that had been winning it will not play us straight up for any amount. We do not care about winning the overall thing because the prizes are not all of that but for $20 you get free drinks and a sorta little breakfast and a decent lunch. One of they guys was talking about he won a dozen Srixon Soft Feels the other day. One of my partners quipped well we made enough on side bets to buy 3 dozen each of those balls. Then he added it is still early and no one is out here why don't you guys play our team straight up for $50 a man? No takers. Ya know where their scores come from ------ a sharp pencil!! Our gang as we call them are playing at 1:00 this afternoon. We will cook up something among ourselves all in fun

• Like 1

Naaw we do not do the rabbit or the breakfast ball--- There are a couple of dog leg left holes . I can not roll it over and control, it enough to turn the leg with my standard cut. I have my solution I tee it low and hit my Stuey Stinger cut straight at the tree on the corner. The one hole I can take it between the 150 marker and the trees and hit a modified snap roll hook but when I get it to hooking there is no telling where or when it is going to stop or end up. The way this course is designed and the fairways are hard and sparse you can actually hit a good drive in the middle of the fairway and get a bad kick into trouble. Had that happen to me on #9 yesterday hit left side of fairway with a baby cut. It hit the ground and took off tumbling into a fairway bunker 40 yards away. But that is one of the things that makes this course fun to play kinda like playing Carnoustie when it is hard and burned out. I played this course quite a bit 20 years ago when it was in top notch shape and I swear it is more fun playing it now in border line goat ranch status.

• Like 2

The Stuey Stinger....

That is just Pure Awesome

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Tee hee hee if you think that is something one of my buds down here named my baby cut " The North Charlotte Salt Tay "

Edit I think the proper spelling of the word is saultee with a little accent mark on the end. Heck you get the picture

• Like 1

Depends on what part of the good old USA you are from--- Basically in the South where I am from we call them either Goat ranches or Cow pastures. Also some folks refer to the game of golf as Cow Pasture Polo. I actually heard that last term used in Wisconsin many years ago

• Like 1

Sounds like my kind of course.

My home course is the course at the local military base. Built in the 40's, old school layout, made to walk. Also designed for when golf was played with persimmon woods and blade irons, so I appreciate using my vintage set there. Par 71, kept in decent shape, only about 6,200 yards, but just fine for my group. We all shoot in the mid to low 70's there. Not sure if my scores will be that good now that I've gone to a vintage set, but that's okay. Probably wouldn't shoot that low at a more modern longer course.

Hit em good

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

• 1 year later...

Know this is older but the description fits me like a glove...

Was a young professional “member” at a public course for almost a decade, then joined a country club for the last 4 years. Wasn’t getting out enough to justify the cost, so I ended up going the complete opposite route.

Current home course costs $198 for the year. Carts are $12 a round or walk for no charge. I play with a small group that tees off at sunrise year round, no cold PA morning frost delays enforced at this place. 

I miss the great conditions of the country club, but getting a years worth of golf for less than I would spend a month is worth it. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, DoughBack18 said:

Know this is older but the description fits me like a glove...

Was a young professional “member” at a public course for almost a decade, then joined a country club for the last 4 years. Wasn’t getting out enough to justify the cost, so I ended up going the complete opposite route.

Current home course costs $198 for the year. Carts are $12 a round or walk for no charge. I play with a small group that tees off at sunrise year round, no cold PA morning frost delays enforced at this place. 

I miss the great conditions of the country club, but getting a years worth of golf for less than I would spend a month is worth it. 

My course is not exactly a dog track but it is not as glamorous as most of the resort courses here. My membership is $120 a year $10 for 9 and a cart. $20 for 18 and a cart year round and if I walk ( which I have not been able to do recently) they do not charge me. Best Snack Bar food on the beach period and best prices too. Basically it is a 2 family owned and operated course. Good members too and decent practice facilities. Love the whole atmosphere of the place. Far as me playing it plays great for me off my regular Gold ( senior tees) with the signature set. Sets up well for me with vintage equipment from the Super Senior tees.  

• Like 3

Please forgive my ignorance but I'm confused why you are paying a membership but then listing a green fee price for a round???

In the UK you pay your membership (mine is £1300 per annum) but that is unlimited golf, 7 days a week. The only additional money I have to pay is a £4 entry fee to club competitions eg monthly medals. 

Edited by Divot License

45 minutes ago, Divot License said:

Please forgive my ignorance but I'm confused why you are paying a membership but then listing a green fee price for a round???

In the UK you pay your membership (mine is £1300 per annum) but that is unlimited golf, 7 days a week. The only additional money I have to pay is a £4 entry fee to club competitions eg monthly medals. 

Some courses operate as you describe, with an annual amount that affords you unlimited golf.  For some courses, you pay a fee, usually quite a bit less than an annual membership amount, and are then able to pay reduced greens fees throughout the year.

The course I play has an option to do both of the above.  $1600 US for unlimited golf, or $349 and then half price daily greens fees each time you play.  

• Like 2

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 minutes ago, Divot License said:

Thanks @NRJyzr I figured it was something along that line, but had never actually had it confirmed. 

Always find it amazing how golf has developed so differently either side of the pond. 

Thought I should add...   the course I play is a public golf course.  Anyone can make a tee time, paying the full daily rate for greens fees.  Those that purchase either the full season pass, or the "Player's Card" (the $349 option I mentioned), are allowed to make tee times a bit earlier ahead of the day one is looking to play, then either pay nothing, or pay half price.

Some courses may not offer that option for earlier times, but I admit I'm speculating.  🙂

To my knowledge, private golf clubs operate as you described in your earlier post, with an annual amount for unlimited golf.

2 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Some courses operate as you describe, with an annual amount that affords you unlimited golf.  For some courses, you pay a fee, usually quite a bit less than an annual membership amount, and are then able to pay reduced greens fees throughout the year.

The course I play has an option to do both of the above.  $1600 US for unlimited golf, or $349 and then half price daily greens fees each time you play.  

That's pretty much how it works where I play my men's league.  The senior players card is $255 for the season and that gets you half price rounds which works out to $12.70 for 9 holes.  25 rounds or there about is breakeven which is easily done with a twice a week league.  Probably manage 40 games throughout the season as well as playing elsewhere on top.

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

3 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

In my locale, there are three options available.  Private Country Club, Semi-Private and Public. 

Private clubs around here are expensive to join.  Membership fee, monthly F & B assessments, then tiered golf packages.  It's a non-starter for me.  They are often as much a social club as golf one.  Of which I have no interest, don't want to "hobnob" at the Club.  To make the economics work, one needs to spend a lot of time eating, golfing, participating in the social events, drinking  and eating in the grille to justify the costs.  From a pure golf perspective, the numbers don't come close to justifying the expense.  

Semi-Private are nothing more than a public course with some perks.  Cart barn to park your rig.  Yearly golf tiered options, from unlimited golf to "X" number of rounds, with reserved and preferable tee times (especially on the weekends).  Not opting for a golf package, the per round cost is no different then being a non-member.  Again, sort of need to play there with regularity to cover the initial outlay.  There's a semi nearby that I play with some regularity.   Once evaluated paying the one time membership fee, annual "dues" and the unlimited golf package.  To break even on the annual outlay, would have to play it ~25x to break even.  It's a decent course, but wouldn't come close to playing it 25x/season.  

Publics are where I ball.  Like the diversity of playing different courses each week.  The buds group has 10 courses that we rotate through.  Never have an issue with making tee times during weekday mornings (8 - 8:30).  Weekday senior rates are relatively inexpensive.  Heretofore, rarely paying more that $40 for 18 with a cart.  Most of the walkable courses do not charge a cart fee if one chooses to walk.  The layouts on others are simply not conducive to walk (primarily distances between green to next tee).  Plus, most of the buds do not, or cannot, walk a golf course anymore.  One of the regular rota courses, as close to a "home course" that I play, has an option to purchase a yearly unlimited golf package (IIRC, was $900 + cart last year.  Otherwise 18 with cart was $32).  But again, doesn't calculate into a cost savings on a per round basis unless one plays there with regularity.

There's a plethora of golf options in my locale.  IMHO, the competition keeps the costs in check.  Across a broad spectrum of quality from the local goat track to upscale, premium fee ($70+) courses.  There's two large park systems that have a number of courses.  Being partially tax funded, their fees are a little cheaper than the privately owned and operated publics.  But only marginally.  The park system courses are generally very nice and well maintained.  

I've read and noted comments made by others elsewhere on the per round costs, difficulty in making tee times, and POP issues.  Very fortunate to have the diversity and number of course options, at relatively modest expense, in order to play a round of golf.  FWIW, rarely to never play on the weekends.  Not into 5+ hour rounds amongst the hordes.  The buds group routinely shoot and scoot around in 3:30 -3:45 hours.  Just about right for a leisurely outing of mediocre golf.  

Sounds like I need to move to Spartan Nation! Great golf opportunities.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I purchase a yearly restricted play pass at a local muni track. Nice tree lined classic '60s style layout. It allows me to play unlimited golf Monday thru Friday and afternoon weekends. I'll play it 3 times a week and we have a 9 month season on average. Generally I'll get in 100 rounds a year. I walk the course. Pass price for seniors is $750.00. Doing the math, I feel very fortunate.

• Like 4

On 4/17/2020 at 6:14 PM, Bogeygolfer55 said:

Joined a local course that allows both me and wife to walk all we want for $65 a month,old bent grass greens but roll true. 6300 yards. Hard fairways but lots of fun.

This sounds a lot like my home course. It’s never crowded. It’s $100 a month for all I can walk and I love it. 

• Like 2